nicensleazy Posts: 2,310
    Will there ever be a punk revival ?
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    Will there ever be a punk revival ?

I think we're due one in about 2 years.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,490
    I always find it odd that The Stranglers are classed as a punk band. I don't know much of their stuff and also the punk era was a little before my time (age 5 in 77) but what I do know sounds a million miles away from my idea of punk (i.e Pistols, Clash). :?

EDIT

Thinking about it I suppose No More Heroes is definately punk, Golden Brown and Always the Sun are the two I would most associate with The Stranglers though and I'd say neither are remotely punk.
  • finchy
    Punk was a pretty broad church to start with, taking in bands as diverse as the Blockheads, Blondie, Pistols and the Stranglers.

It was only later that punk started to have a sound and look identified with it, which usually leads to artistic stagnation, as some would argue it did in the case of punk.

If you buy a more modern punk compilation CD (the Fat Wreck Chords being a good example), then chances are that just about everything on there will sound more or less exactly the same.
  • attica
    attica Posts: 2,362
    Anyone else on here like Nomeansno?

Absolutely awesome live
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • finchy
    Attica wrote:
    Anyone else on here like Nomeansno?

I've got a Nomeansno with Jello Biafra album, not bad at all.
  • da goose
    da goose Posts: 284
    Loads to mention but looking at post`s so far very few REAL punk fans here, and I guess I am metal through and through....anyone got the new Maiden album or see them at the weekend?
    Punk wise Anti Nowhere League...?
    Best track especially at the lights hot day windows down "SO F*****G WHAT!" Makes me laugh every time and Metallica`s version ace as well.
    NapD would be impressed that the original version was ordered off the shelves under the obscene publications act way back then............amazing. :roll: :roll: :twisted:
  • finchy
    Folk-punk from the Czech Republic:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALbtIwIlxSI

I saw them in Bratislava, awesome live band.

And from Hungary a band that dabbles in punk and metal:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65xTo9BD76A
  • Along with all the old skool stuff I would definetly have Zounds in my top ten, the "curse of..." album was always a sleeping classic!
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,805

PAH!

no mention of johnny Moped..
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Nuggs
    Nuggs Posts: 1,804
    Clash
    Zounds
    Flux of Pink Indians
    Dead Kennedys
    Peter & The Test Tube Babies
    Newtown Neurotics
    SLF
    Slaughter & The Dogs (I still have Do It Dog Style in limited edition vomit green vinyl)
  • nicensleazy
    Its been great looking it your top 10 punk bands. Some of the bands I had forgotten about, great to look through You Tube
  • Seanos
    Seanos Posts: 301
    Scottishland gave us the skids/post punk postcard popsters OJ/ lena zavaroni and lulu

Not forgetting Josef K and Aztec Camera also on Postcard.
  • psychle
    psychle Posts: 83
    A conversation about punk and no-one's mentioned Crass?

On leaving the Classic Grande last night my companion turned to me and said, "What kind of music would you call that?"
    "I wouldn't call it any kind of music." I replied. "What would you call it?"
    " I suppose, probably, kind of.... punk." Was her conclusion.

We'd just seen Peter Murphy.
    Bauhaus - Punk?, Art Punk?, Prog Punk? (I'm not using the G-word :) )

Oh, and the show was tremendous.

"Like a pig towing a cart-load of sausages - I draw my own conclusions"
  • How very dare you....I mentioned crass in my top ten. Their popularity was amzing considering how liittle coverage they got. Even though they did ONE, yes only one peel sesh he hardly ever played them. But if you listen to their stuff now it still stands up challenging art-punk.

Theres an American folk singer/songwriter called Jeffrey Lewis who's done a cd of crass covers, called, with american imagination, 12 Crass Songs, its mighty fine and with out Steve Ignorants rasping vocals the power of their lyrics really shines. A hidden gem in my opinion.

here is doing punk is dead

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnzy2z84 ... re=related

And his brilliant history of the Fall

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tP_Dk81f9fg
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • psychle
    psychle Posts: 83
    My apologies Cleat, I thought I must have missed their mention as I skimmed to catch up on the thread (in my defence, I did pose it as a question :wink: ).

I remember being refused as a 12 year-old when I asked for a copy of 'Bloody Revolutions' in a record shop. I went back later and got served by someone else from under the counter. Not sure to what extent their stuff really was 'contraband' or just part of the myth.

Saw Jeffrey Lewis a few years back on a "Twisted Folk" tour with Nina Nastasia. His 15 minute History of Punk with visual aids was inspired.

"Like a pig towing a cart-load of sausages - I draw my own conclusions"
  • nicensleazy
    Who is this JJ Burnel is playing for...any ideas?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLTZ56Ac8sA
  • finchy
    Who is this JJ Burnel is playing for...any ideas?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLTZ56Ac8sA

I would guess that they're the Japanese rock band ARB.
  • richk
    richk Posts: 564
    ONly two qualifying bands I ever went to see were The Stranglers & The Ramones - saw them both more than once...
    There is no secret ingredient...
  • nicensleazy
    RichK wrote:
    ONly two qualifying bands I ever went to see were The Stranglers & The Ramones - saw them both more than once...

And what fine bands they are! :D
  • jedster
    jedster Posts: 1,717
    Nice link. Gotta love The Stranglers.

Incidently any list of the top ten punk bands of all time which does not have The Clash at the top is totally ridiculous. Head and shoulders above. One of the greatest bands of any description.

Looking for leftfield suggestions not from the late 70s/early 80s - Fugazi anyone?
  • Nuggs
    Nuggs Posts: 1,804
    jedster wrote:
    Incidently any list of the top ten punk bands of all time which does not have The Clash at the top is totally ridiculous. Head and shoulders above. One of the greatest bands of any description.
    Totally agree that the Clash are one of the best bands ever.

I think the reason they don't make all the 'punk' lists is that they were so much more diverse than other punk bands. With lots of ska/reggae influences and a better-produced sound which didn't rely of heavily over-driven amps, they didn't have the phonic jaggedness of a lot of their peers, which has come to symbolise 'punk'.
  • nicensleazy
    Nuggs wrote:
    jedster wrote:
    Totally agree that the Clash are one of the best bands ever.

I think the reason they don't make all the 'punk' lists is that they were so much more diverse than other punk bands. With lots of ska/reggae influences and a better-produced sound which didn't rely of heavily over-driven amps, they didn't have the phonic jaggedness of a lot of their peers, which has come to symbolise 'punk'.

They became widely referred to as "The Only Band That Matters",
  • bagpusscp
    bagpusscp Posts: 2,907
    The Vapours.
    and The Memebers.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pc6hbiNVfbw
    bagpuss
  • a.palmer
    a.palmer Posts: 504
    No particular order, mix of old and new:

Lower Class Brats
    Rancid
    The Clash
    Black Flag
    Minor Threat
    Pennywise
    Dead Kennedys
    7 Seconds
    Social Distortion
    Bad Religion
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    I absolutely love the Vapors (I have Dave Fenton's autograph somewhere) but I'd struggle to describe them as punk - New Wave to my mind along with their contemporaries (who they supported) The Jam.

My list would include (mentally working my way through my heap of 7" singles)

The Clash
    The Pistols
    Ramones
    UK Subs
    Stranglers
    SLF
    Dead Kennedys
    The Adverts
    Sham 69

I went to see Adam and the Ants when "Dog Eat Dog" came out - the audience was almost entirely punks! Oh the shame...!
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • MrTapir
    MrTapir Posts: 1,206

Just wondering if any one can name any welsh punk bands. the irish had SLF/undertones/outcasts/radiators from outer space etc,

Scottishland gave us the skids/post punk postcard popsters OJ/ lena zavaroni and lulu

I know the Alarm came from rhyl (which is technically a part of merseyside), and Young Marble Giants (with the beautiful ALison) came from cardiff but not really punk.

Peel used to play Anhrefn and Datblygu alot but....early welsh punk, I couldnt name one.

Douglas! Awesome band, I don't think they are still around though not sure. THey are the newer style of punk, but I'm 27 so I missed the first lot.

I also saw a great band from Swansea supporting Propagandhi in Bristol last year, can't remember the name though.

Other bands that would get in my top ten (not exclusively 'punk')
    -Propagandhi
    -Strung Out
    -Section 8
    -NOFX
    -er
  • nicensleazy
    What is Dave Greenfield doing in this interview?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2E84Rh7g ... re=related
  • mididoctors
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUEHgDQ-NVw

2008 cover of the tv personalities