Dan Staite

Kléber
Kléber Posts: 6,842
edited August 2010 in Amateur race
http://new.britishcycling.org.uk/articl ... r-Doping-0

Finally the story that everyone knew about but nobody could talk about is finally public news.

Some said it was being hushed up until the Tour was over so as not to provide adverse publicity to the sport in Britain ahead of the race and Sky's first big test. Maybe they were right?

Comments

• redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    20100314_JockWadley_Sprint.jpg

Dan Staite wins the sprint for second ahead of former winner Andy Lyons
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • stagehopper
    stagehopper Posts: 1,593
    Kléber wrote:
    http://new.britishcycling.org.uk/article/roa20100729-Statement--Rider-Suspended-for-Doping-0

Finally the story that everyone knew about but nobody could talk about is finally public news.

Some said it was being hushed up until the Tour was over so as not to provide adverse publicity to the sport in Britain ahead of the race and Sky's first big test. Maybe they were right?

UK Anti Doping never reveal names of any athlete until disciplinary process is complete. Given he was tested at a race on 13th March I'd say that's a pretty quick process compared to most.
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    Kléber wrote:

Dunno - there's a judgement against a hockey player that has just been announced too by UKAD, and that +ve stems from just about the same time as Staite's.

Still, you can't beat a good conspiracy theory.
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • Kléber
    I hope so. It's just the rumours came out so long ago, many people were chatting about this in early May. Anyway, the point isn't the procedure, it's good to see they've nailed an amateur.

My only worry is this sends a signal to others that people in 1/2/3 races are on hot sauce and some might think they need to join the "arms race" and copy. Whilst it's a deterrent to see Staite named and shamed, testing is almost non-existent at amateur levels.
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    Surely this is the wrong forum, can the mods move it to amateur race?

Dan certainly ain't a Pro.

Disappointing that the rules don't consider the blood test refusal a seperate violation, they should do!
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,867
    I liked all the puns on his name when he was he who couldn't be mentioned
    I guess it's staiting the obvious but he won't be reinstaited
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Kléber
    I liked all the puns on his name when he was he who couldn't be mentioned
    I guess it's staiting the obvious but he won't be reinstaited
    Yes, I remember BB talking about "riding like Desperate Dan" in amateur races. Like I say, everyone knew but almost nobody talked.

Even google knew, type Dan Staite in and the auto suggest function returns helpful search terms like "EPO" and "Doping".
  • stagehopper
    stagehopper Posts: 1,593
    Kléber wrote:
    I hope so. It's just the rumours came out so long ago, many people were chatting about this in early May. Anyway, the point isn't the procedure, it's good to see they've nailed an amateur.

My only worry is this sends a signal to others that people in 1/2/3 races are on hot sauce and some might think they need to join the "arms race" and copy. Whilst it's a deterrent to see Staite named and shamed, testing is almost non-existent at amateur levels.

Here's the ruling with all the dates laid out re: when the results came back, contact with athlete, hearings held etc:

http://www.ukad.org.uk/docLib/Drugs_fin ... on_244.pdf

According to that procedural directions started on the 11th June and the final decision was handed down by the QC on 6th July (after Tour started) so got to give them a few days after that for paperwork etc. Looks like UKAD add them in batches to website.
  • BikingBernie
    BikingBernie Posts: 2,163
    edited July 2010
    Kléber wrote:
    Even google knew, type Dan Staite in and the auto suggest function returns helpful search terms like "EPO" and "Doping".
    Now just typing 'dan st' sees the auto suggest function fill in the rest. :lol:
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,588
    Nice to know that all the subtle hints led me to the right conclusion even though I'd never heard of him! So much for the conspiracy theorists that it would be swept under the carpet.
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    According to that procedural directions started on the 11th June and the final decision was handed down by the QC on 6th July (after Tour started) so got to give them a few days after that for paperwork etc. Looks like UKAD add them in batches to website.

No, there's 21 days to appeal, so the earliest it could've been added is the 28th...
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • mididoctors
    jibberjim wrote:

No, there's 21 days to appeal, so the earliest it could've been added is the 28th...

the conspiracy guys/nuts are going to question the final decision date of 6th july given the appeal process is a known
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    Bob Howden, British Cycling’s Chair of Anti-Doping Commission, said: “We are naturally disappointed that a cyclist has been found guilty of doping, however, this case shows that the comprehensive testing programme which operates at all levels of the sport is delivering results."

Rather than being a 'comprehensive testing programme', wasn't the buzz that ET had complained to the comms that his riders were having their *rses kicked by an amateur, hence he needed testing ?
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    Who?
  • Kléber
    Good news that puts the conspiracy side to rest, although some said a "holding statement" could have been issued given many were chatting about this. Anyway, let's not get too hung up on procedure, the document reveals a clear time line.

Main thing is he's been nailed. From the pictures he looks like a bit of a porker, he could simply have done with shedding some bodyfat and training harder. It's all a bit tragic, vials of EPO just to shine in the local chipper.
  • Who is ET?

Personally I find the whole story extremely funny, how sad can you get cheating in amateur races? :lol:

I'm going to have lots of fun at my next race wondering who looks shifty enough to try this stuff.
    The British Empire never died, it just moved to the Velodrome
  • mididoctors
    Who is ET?

Personally I find the whole story extremely funny, how sad can you get cheating in amateur races? :lol:

I'm going to have lots of fun at my next race wondering who looks shifty enough to try this stuff.

49.jpg

I think there is a "fair" amount of products being used at amateur levels... not unheard of just not common thou
  • Who is ET?

You'd be surprised at how many people are still doing old fashioned charging!
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • BikingBernie
    BikingBernie Posts: 2,163
    andy_wrx wrote:
    Rather than being a 'comprehensive testing programme', wasn't the buzz that ET had complained to the comms that his riders were having their *rses kicked by an amateur, hence he needed testing ?
    That's what I read...
  • mididoctors
    Who is ET?

You'd be surprised at how many people are still doing old fashioned charging!

most of that nonsense is in your head... people do it because the suffering sensations are transformed into something more "acceptable" in a perverse way

not that I would know of course..um er er er ...sh1t
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    Have to say, I find all of this desperately sad for everyone involved. I'm sure there are cheats at every level of every sport, but taking PEDs just to hold on to an amateur/elite licence kind of moves the whole EPO thing on to a different level entirely. I never thought this would impact club cycling, but it has......
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    In view of the comments here I just did a Google for "Dan Staite" I came across some sites relating to the British Indoor Rowing Championship. It would appear (and apologies if I am wrong but the photos of Dan the cyclist and Dan the rower appeared to show the same person) that Dan was a pretty handy rower. There was even a thread "How to beat Dan Staite".Another thread relating to proposed drug testing at the BIRC champs in 2004 also had posts by Dan but these had been edited out by the poster as recently as July this year.

My point is how sad was this person that they needed to Lord it over there fellow competitors? I have to say that I have seen no evidence to suggest any drug violation in rowing by the individual concerned but what must fellow rowers and riders be feeling who have busted their balls in training to lose to this guy in other races now that he has been found guilty of doping?
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • FransJacques
    FransJacques Posts: 2,148
    edited July 2010
    What a loser he is, wWould love to meet him and tell him that to his face. I know a few of the hard working, 50-hours-a -eek stressful-job-holding racers who train in their precious spare time who've beaten him, just makes him look so sad.

At least become a real pro and THEN dope, that's the usual modus operadus.

Stupidity knows no bounds.
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • FransJacques
    FransJacques Posts: 2,148
    And yes this belongs in Amateur Race. with a stress on the amateur.
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    Further to my last post I would like to see lifetime bans in amateur sport for doping. 2 years is not enough. I don't know how many races this clown has won in his sporting career but I would be mightily racked off if he'd cost me a medal, prize or team selection at any point by finishimg ahead of me.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    Further to my last post I would like to see lifetime bans in amateur sport for doping.

At club level, people have long memories...regardless of the actual term, this is effectively a lifetime ban - I doubt if any club or race team will have him after this.

He will have even less appeal than Giro Jezmo... ;)
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,588
    Thing is where do you draw the line? In the amateur rank there's far more likely to be people using hay fever cures and the like which contain banned substances out of ignorance rather than a desire to cheat. Would you want them banned for life? It is sad that an amateur is prepared to dope at this level though, possibly hoping to get a pro contract? Having said that I think it's less serious than someone making a living out of cheating which as a by product is cheating clean athletes out of their living.
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    edited July 2010
    It would appear that Dan was a pretty handy rower.
    Presumably this 2 year ban is just from competitive cycling - does that mean he's free to go back to rowing?

As to his wins, well he's won a few TT's in the past. Does a ban by BC automatically transfer to a ban by CTT?
  • Kléber
    What a loser he is, wWould love to meet him and tell him that to his face. I know a few of the hard working, 50-hours-a -eek stressful-job-holding racers who train in their precious spare time who've beaten him, just makes him look so sad.
    Without being too overboard, he must have self-esteem issues.

You can see why a pro does it, there's pressure, it's not unusual if others on the team are doing it, and there's money and a job at stake. But a local race? Something's not right there.