revelation 426 uturn coil 130mm, too soft and wobbly
hope hoops
old sram gears
heavy thick kenda blue grooves
'orrible saddle
ancient shimano hydraulics
worn through lockon grips
battered dmr v8s in clip state.

the plan is to swap the fork for the reba on my oldest stumpy, the coil will be ideal for wife re to use, swap the brakes for a set of strokers i have, tyres will be replaced with some specialized tyres of some sort and the frame will be getting stripped back and either painted or coated or if possible, anodized by the forumite who anodizes stuff.

Comments

• jay12
    jay12 Posts: 6,306
    cool.i'd love to see it anodized 8)
  • blister pus
    blister pus Posts: 5,780
    i love it already and might well exchange my current hardtail for one.
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    LOL, what are you like Sheeps....

:lol:
    I like bikes and stuff
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    so far i have changed the saddle to a less gay one and the bars to some race face one. the grips are now specialized ones:

4838193342_2942b3e79f_z.jpg
  • Anonymous
    CraigXXL wrote:
    stem too

true dat, the original was a proper ships tiller.
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    It needs some rear suspension.
  • Anonymous
    Briggo wrote:
    It needs some rear suspension.

it may well end up with some at somepoint.
  • kaytronika
    kaytronika Posts: 580
    What year is that frame?

Gives me a couple of ideas of what I can do to mine
    --
    '09 Carrera Fury
    '94 GT Timberline FS
    '89 Saracen Tufftrax
  • Anonymous
    kaytronika wrote:
    What year is that frame?

i dont know, seeing as every single gt hardtail looks exactly the same, it could well be an early 90s one!!
  • kaytronika
    kaytronika Posts: 580
    kaytronika wrote:
    What year is that frame?

i dont know, seeing as every single gt hardtail looks exactly the same, it could well be an early 90s one!!

:lol: Nah, the newer ones don't come in as pretty colours.

A bit of Googling leads me to believe it looks like a 2005 btw

http://www.bikepedia.com/quickbike/Bike ... &Type=bike
    --
    '09 Carrera Fury
    '94 GT Timberline FS
    '89 Saracen Tufftrax
  • Anonymous
    good spot, our resident gt expert also identified it as a 05 model.

the finish is a bit tatty but the frame is rock solid. i wont be able to give a proper opinion of the whole package just yet as the fork is too soft for me, i need to swap it over for the reba and i think i might quite enjoy it.

i reckon with the reba and some lighter tyres, it should come in at about 27lbs which i think isnt too bad considering the price i paid!
  • Anonymous
    edited August 2010
    new update:

have changed the fork, bottom bracket and tyres and have been for a quick blast

the big d verict is: its pretty good,

the fork steerer is shorter than the revelation so the front end feels low, the fork feels quite slack and the whole bike actually feels alot like the on one summer season i had for a while, no bad thing.

new bb was a superstar one and it is a nice enough bit of kit, only time will tell if it lasts but it certainly feels rock solid at the moment and for 30 quid i am happy i bought it instead of a whole new crank set.

tyres are CST Copperheads which i only bought due to their cheapness. they are just under 600g on my scales, the bluegrooves they replaced were about 660ish so there is a bit of weight loss but not much. the cst's definately roll a whole lot swifter, i quite like em but will be interested to see what the rubber grips like on rocks,

4857725210_f5aa176aa0_z.jpg
  • Anonymous
    so far, all the bike owes me is 270 quid (inlcuding the initial 200 quid price for the whole bike) which is what i got for my roadbike so it has turned out a pretty much straight swap.

the plan is to use the gt frame as a clothes horse for all of the componenets and at some point i intend to get a different frame of some sort.

mainly because the GT is so ugly it could turn milk fizzy!!
  • Did you have those forks lieing around or pinched them off of another bike?
  • Anonymous
    Did you have those forks lieing around or pinched them off of another bike?

swapped them off my oldest stumpjumper which the wife uses (an old 05 model) and will replace them with the revelations which are an adequate weight setting for her.
  • Wife?! what what

What frame you seeing the components clipped onto in the future if the gt isnt a keeper
  • Anonymous
    i dont know really. the bike ws too good a deal to miss out on at 200 quid considering the fork and wheels so i decided to buy it as a future project of some sort. i havent decided what to replace it with, i will ride it a bit first but im thinking something with some rear suspension on it.
  • Hah, cant complain for 200 should give it to wifey and get the stumpjumper back :D
  • blister pus
    blister pus Posts: 5,780
    but im thinking something with some rear suspension on it.

i think you should make some and fit it to that and have a real project
  • Anonymous
    Hah, cant complain for 200 should give it to wifey and get the stumpjumper back :D

ive got another one.
  • Hah, cant complain for 200 should give it to wifey and get the stumpjumper back :D

ive got another one.

Id like to have a go on that.
  • Anonymous
    well you cant.
  • Anonymous
    have stripped the decals off and am going to give the old girl a matt black rattle can job tomorrow just out of interest.

4905427712_30451108b3_z.jpg
  • Tolk
    Tolk Posts: 775
    Gonna stick some decals back on after? Or going for the stolen look? :lol:
  • Anonymous
    might see if i can get some lime green ones.
  • Tolk
    Did you spray it today then?
  • Anonymous
    i forgot ll about it, will do it in the morrow. im expecting it to look webbo which should fit in nicely with the general theme.

weighed the bike today, comes in at 27.7 lbs which i though was pretty good for a 270 quid bike.
  • Tolk
    i forgot ll about it, will do it in the morrow. im expecting it to look webbo which should fit in nicely with the general theme.

weighed the bike today, comes in at 27.7 lbs which i though was pretty good for a 270 quid bike.

£10 per lbs, I'd say that's amazing value!
  • Anonymous
    did the spray job today, very rushed and very poorly done but it gives me the general idea about what to expect when i get it done properly.

i wasnt fussed at first but if the surface had been prepared properly it would have turned out to be a nice job

i think the black looks good in general.

4910013143_5e6bddd0ee_z.jpg

what are your thoughts.