Does the KOM Have any Credibility?

13»

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,223
    Maybe just ban anyone outside the top 10 from taking the jersey? :twisted:

OT for a sec

why oh why oh why did you pick lance for GC?

He probably had an intimidatory email of him saying "back me or else" :wink:
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,813
    Pross wrote:

OT for a sec

He probably had an intimidatory email of him saying "back me or else" :wink:

backfired altruism..sort of

I think he threw it deliberately to make it bit more of an exciting contest but blew it.. probably thought Lance would defo finish top 10 and maybe top 5 thus just closing the gap

alternatively he just went bonkers? :lol:
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Cumulonimbus
    Cumulonimbus Posts: 1,730

OT for a sec

Why oh why oh why? You make it sound like life and death :P
  • mididoctors

OT for a sec

Why oh why oh why? You make it sound like life and death :P

:lol:

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    Pokerface wrote:
    Similar to the KOM winner really - not the "best" climber - but the person who was most most consistent at hoovering up KOM points.

For my money Andy Schleck is the KOM - with 2 mountain-top wins. But because he was riding to win the Yellow instead, he couldn't so the kind of work needed to get the extra KOM points to win that jersey. If he targeted it - he would win it.
    Charteau aged 31 and wins the KOM with only 143 points. Unbelievable.

Virenque did it the same way Robert Millar did. (plus a long list of others to do the same)
    Lose GC time and then be allowed to stay away all day to hover the points and win a hard mountain stage.

I thought Moreau would bring some respectability to the jersey but in the Alps he had to be the domestic to Luis Leon.
    A bit more thought from the team would have ensured more publicity for them in Paris.(and at each stage end)
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,223
    deejay wrote:
    Pokerface wrote:
    Similar to the KOM winner really - not the "best" climber - but the person who was most most consistent at hoovering up KOM points.

For my money Andy Schleck is the KOM - with 2 mountain-top wins. But because he was riding to win the Yellow instead, he couldn't so the kind of work needed to get the extra KOM points to win that jersey. If he targeted it - he would win it.

Virenque did it the same way Robert Millar did. (plus a long list of others to do the same)
    Lose GC time and then be allowed to stay away all day to hover the points and win a hard mountain stage.

I thought Moreau would bring some respectability to the jersey but in the Alps he had to be the domestic to Luis Leon.
    A bit more thought from the team would have ensured more publicity for them in Paris.(and at each stage end)

Why is Charteau winning it not respectable then? He picked up points consistently, you seem to be arguing it is far better for someone to go on a one day break in the mountains getting loads of points in one day which I'd disagree with. The jerseys are all about consistency. I'm also not quite sure why 39 year old Moreau who has never really been an out and out climber winning the jersey would have added respectability to it. Truth is the best climbers these days are either the GC contenders or key domestiques who have to sacrifice their own ambitions.
  • mididoctors
    deejay wrote:
    Pokerface wrote:

so if riblon had won the jersey that would have been better yes..or just ok?