TdF Stage 18 *Spoilers*

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,223
    Who needs a lead out train? He's looking better without relying on a lead out, just use the team to pull the breaks back and set the pace. Thor showing once and for all he's no longer a sprinter and Sky showing they can organise a train but not put anyone into the sprint at the end of it (unless they are about to announce the signing of Cav and were working for him :wink: ). What was Lovkvist playing at? Pulled off the wrong way and almost blocked the sprinters moving up behind :?
  • B3rnieMac
    B3rnieMac Posts: 384
    no train, no renshaw and it really looked like the easiest win he's had in a while. cheers, sky ;)
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    OK. Who saw the overhead shot of Julian Dean cutting up another rider on the barriers?
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • alan_sherman
    alan_sherman Posts: 1,157
    So what are the points available between now and the end, and the gaps with Cav, Thor and (allegedly) Druggy? ;)
  • ilm_zero7
    ilm_zero7 Posts: 2,213
    stunning from the Manx Missile - edge of seat on the head on camera - but the overhead shots show he was awesome - by far the fastest, and a a day after the big T too - brilliant

come on the Champs E
    http://veloviewer.com/SigImage.php?a=3370a&r=3&c=5&u=M&g=p&f=abcdefghij&z=a.png
    Wiliers: Cento Uno/Superleggera R and Zero 7. Bianchi Infinito CV and Oltre XR2
  • OffTheBackAdam
    OffTheBackAdam Posts: 1,869
    Won by a country mile. Impressively fast, picked his wheel perfectly.
    It'd be a brave punter to put money on anybody else for Sunday's win.
    Kelly thinks he's unfairly fast!
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Thor 14th

Petacchi 213
    Hushovd 203
    Cavendish 197
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • ilm_zero7
    ilm_zero7 Posts: 2,213
    OK. Who saw the overhead shot of Julian Dean cutting up another rider on the barriers?
    have to watch on french TV and as soon as it finished no more coverage - you tube anyone?
    http://veloviewer.com/SigImage.php?a=3370a&r=3&c=5&u=M&g=p&f=abcdefghij&z=a.png
    Wiliers: Cento Uno/Superleggera R and Zero 7. Bianchi Infinito CV and Oltre XR2
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    All Cav needs to do now is to sacrifice another one of his team riders to block off Petacchi and getting thrown out of the race, and green will be his.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Petacchi 213 pts
    Hushovd 203
    Cav 197

Assuming Cav wins the final stage, Ale Jet needs to finish 7th or better to keep green.
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    There's 2 intermediate sprints on the Champs Elysees too
  • Stuey01
    Stuey01 Posts: 1,273
    have to watch on french TV and as soon as it finished no more coverage - you tube anyone?

I think it was Ballan getting squeezed. To be fair it didn't look any way intentional, he was trying to stay with Petacchi.
    Not climber, not sprinter, not rouleur
  • B3rnieMac
    B3rnieMac Posts: 384
    edited July 2010
    Boardman says Ale being 5th and Cav 1st would put them on level points - and it would go to Cav for stage wins?
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,813
    afx237vi wrote:
    Petacchi 213 pts
    Hushovd 203
    Cav 197

Assuming Cav wins the final stage, Ale Jet needs to finish 7th or better to keep green.

cav is likley to come over thor

the big what if is stage 2 neutralization of the sprint

IIRC thor didn't crash and Ale did
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Squaggles
    Squaggles Posts: 875
    How fast is Cav ? :shock:
    The UCI are Clowns and Fools
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    afx237vi wrote:
    Petacchi 213 pts
    Hushovd 203
    Cav 197

I'm not sure Thor should not feel overly robbed for that stage 2 neutralization... it's very likely he was in the leading bunch anyway because of neutralization up the Rosier.
  • Pross
    If Cav wins what's the best position Petacchi could finish and leave Cav in green? Maybe he'll put in a stunning TT and get some points tomorrow :lol:
  • luckao
    luckao Posts: 632
    Squaggles wrote:
    How fast is Cav ? :shock:

Didn't even look like he was sprinting...
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    By my reckoning, if Cav wins both intermediates (assuming Ale-jet second) then wins the sprint, Ale-jet has to finish 4th or above to take green. Its going to involve a lot of work for HTC, but its very much still on for Cav.
  • Pross
    Sorry, extra page had come up so my question was answered before I even asked it :oops:
  • Pross
    Pretty sure a break will take the intermediates on Sunday.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    If Cav wins on Sunday, 197 + 35 = 232

232 - 213 (Petacchi's current total) = 19

So Petacchi needs 19 to tie and 20 to win outright. 20 pts = 6th place.

Presumably if they're tied, Cav will win due to stage wins?
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    So Cammy Diaz and Mr Cruise go through an embarrassing interview for French tv and all they get is a lousy, yellow jersey apiece.
    I expect next it will be off to meet fellow superstar Lance, back at the Shack chucklewagon.
    Maybe, they can bring him up to speed with news from the US.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • rockmount
    rockmount Posts: 761
    I expect next it will be off to meet fellow superstar Lance, back at the Shack chucklewagon. Maybe, they can bring him up to speed with news from the US.
    It's always about Lance with you .. your jealousy is most unbecoming :wink:
    .. who said that, internet forum people ?
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,813
    FJS wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:
    Petacchi 213 pts
    Hushovd 203
    Cav 197

I'm not sure Thor should not feel overly robbed for that stage 2 neutralization... it's very likely he was in the leading bunch anyway because of neutralization up the Rosier.

maybe but he was well clear I think he would have made it over? he was at the front of the race up the stockeau...?

how about this

petacchi pushed several riders in front of him finishing stage 3 on the cobbles despite wearing the green indicating his lack of interest in the jersey..perhaps?

when did Petacchi decide to ride for the jersey... probably started after cav failing in stage 4 and thor off the pace in the same sprint?
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • markmod
    markmod Posts: 501
    edited July 2010
    I expect next it will be off to meet fellow superstar Lance, back at the shack chuklewagon.

I love the thought of the shack chucklewagon... Who would be the chuckle brothers then in shack... To me... To you :lol:

Still today's result has set up some what of another interesting jersey battle too,apart from the yellow. I bet the organisers are wringing their hands in glee tonight, it's just as they would want it at this stage of the race I'm sure!
  • richa
    richa Posts: 1,632
    Cav starting to regret sitting up way back in Stage 4 when he came in 12th?
    Rich
  • smithy21
    smithy21 Posts: 2,204
    Cav winning on Champs Elysee is not the problem. Finding enough bodies to be in front of Petacchi is.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Maybe the entire HTC squad will attempt to go for the final sprint! And Cav can try and get a lead out from someone else. That might put enough people between him and Petacchi
  • andylav
    andylav Posts: 308
    I don't understand how Petacchi's veering sprinting style is allowed to go unchecked / unpunished?

Savage switches from one side of road to the other in most sprints that he has featured in, causing reactions and crashes behind, but yet he goes unchecked / unpunished.

Surprised there hasn't been any protests yet.