what happened to sportsmanship ?

Comments

• pitchshifter
    pitchshifter Posts: 1,476
    The F1 Championship leaders didn't slow down or stop when Vettel punctured at the British GP the other weekend...

He is German...
  • PauloBets
    PauloBets Posts: 108
    Mr Contador has no sense of fair play. If he gets a flat tyre then the others should speed up and leave him behind. You live by the sword, you die by the sword.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    PauloBets wrote:
    Mr Contador has no sense of fair play. If he gets a flat tyre then the others should speed up and leave him behind. You live by the sword, you die by the sword.

What about attacking in the feedzone? Is that ok?
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • PauloBets
    PauloBets Posts: 108
    iainf72 wrote:
    PauloBets wrote:

why do you bring this up? That cyclist saw with his own eyes and then tried to lie.
  • luckao
    luckao Posts: 632
    What exactly are people frothing at the mouth over?

Seeing as it's been disproved countless times that not even the unwritten rules of cycling dictate that Contador should have unequivocally waited for Schleck, the criticism appears to center around the little fib he told about being unaware of Schleck's problem.

Make up your minds.
  • rockmount
    rockmount Posts: 761
    Another warm reception for the yellow jersey presentation again today. I'm looking forward to being on the Champs Elysees on Sunday to see how that goes !! I'll be the one with the Manx flag..
    .. who said that, internet forum people ?
  • Buckled_Rims
    Buckled_Rims Posts: 1,648
    PauloBets wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:
    PauloBets wrote:

why do you bring this up? That cyclist saw with his own eyes and then tried to lie.

You're seeing this from the comfort of an armchair and a TV slowmotion! Try biking up a real mountain for hours, your legs burning, the sun is blazing down in intense heat and you're trying to focus on the summit.

Suddenly, Schleck attacks on a steep section.

Contador reacts slowly, then the adrenaline kicks in, he almost panics and forces the pedals. He sees Vino kick off past Schleck.

Now Schleck slows down, but AC is still having an adrenaline rush. What does he see in a briefest of seconds? Contador's mind is probably confused. "Why's Schleck slowing down?"

He might have seen a chain off, but he probably didn't. He certainly looked puzzled 30 seconds later on as he looked around. Decisions HAVE to be made there and then.

I'm not an apologist for Contador, but we are in RACE conditions on the toughest of sections in the toughest sport in the world, they have been pounding the roads for the past 15 days. They are tired, incredibly hot, exhausted. Do you function 100% in them condition, even in an armchair?

The fact is, you saw with your own eyes Schlecks problem because you saw the repeats. Contador was racing and following in from an attack from Schleck.

By all means reply to this posting with your thoughts, but please don't accuse a rider of lying simply because you saw the repeats and he wasn't able to.
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • iainf72
    "If you draw your sword and you drop it, you die." - Ryder Hesjedal regarding Shleck's dropped chain and Cantador's attack

:D
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    PauloBets wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:
    PauloBets wrote:

By all means reply to this posting with your thoughts, but please don't accuse a rider of lying simply because you saw the repeats and he wasn't able to.

Contador was 10 metres back when it happended he saw pefectly well what happened and attacked off the back of it. He is taking people for fools by saying otherwise. Not that it makes much odds to him but i am quite happy to call him a liar.
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • mercsport
    mercsport Posts: 664
    edited July 2010
    Hit 'submit' instead of 'preview' !!
    "Lick My Decals Off, Baby"
  • mercsport
    mercsport Posts: 664
    I'll have to declare that I'm with those who declare that AC has nothing to apologise for. But what no one has mentioned is that the 'mechanical' was of Schleck's own making, and not necessarily of imperfect design or construction.

On ITV4's highlights programme tonight Ned Boulting (I think it was he) interviewed Schleck's mechanic who declared that his bike had a chain guard on and yet the chain still unshipped. But he also declared that Schleck was on the small chainring when he slipped down the sprockets to the 11 or 12 sprocket to start his acceleration. Is that not too great a crossover of the chain? Basic malpractise? No? (Some of my "damn!" moments have occurred in similar circumstances, except that I'm not a racer). Also, when he dismounted to put the chain back on, he was in so much of a rush he didn't hand turn his cranks more than one turn before leaping back onto the saddle with the result that the rear mech's springing rotated the chainwheels rearwards again to unship the chain. Frustration! So he thinks to throw away his bike in disgust in traditional TDF fashion, but ,.. what happened then? I"ve forgotten, but somehow or other the chain is put back on and the cranks are rotated a few more turns to ensure all is well again, and he pushes off again in pursuit of Contador having wasted tons of seconds in not being 'cool'.

Methinks AS was guilty of fundamental misjudgement and forgetful of the capabilities of his bike, and was most immature and ungracious, on the day, in not accepting any responsibility for his misfortune and seemingly blaming AC for his balls-up. Schleck decides to make the decisive break which everyone has been waiting for all day, hoping to leave AC for dead (fat chance!) fouls up his down-cogging and then expects AC to hang around and wait for him whilst Menchov and the rest bugger off up the road in search of the podium. Incredible! Moreover, the one person who displayed maturity and sportsmanship on the day was Contador, who humbled himself via his YT 'apology' to restore a little amity to proceedings. He truly didn't have to.
    "Lick My Decals Off, Baby"
  • ynyswen24
    ynyswen24 Posts: 703
    iainf72 wrote:
    "If you draw your sword and you drop it, you die." - Ryder Hesjedal regarding Shleck's dropped chain and Cantador's attack

Absolutely correct.
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    Interesting the Vino didn't press on - he could have been a valuable ally to Contador on the descent and as he was the first to react to Schleck jumping away he was in the ideal position to go with his team leader - but he sat up and stayed with the group behind.

Seems to me that his immediate reaction to the mechanical was different to Contador's.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • psiturbo
    psiturbo Posts: 64
    This is cycling, not a gladiator fight!

The crowd's reaction speaks for itself, Alberto's face was priceless and even the models did not know if to clap or not.

The model on the right of AC stood there like WTF is going on?

Amd then on top of that plays the naive roll that he did not know what was going on, when in fact he looked back like 20 times when he passed by Andy.

Cheap as it can be...

Note: If the gladiator dies because the sword's handle breaks and the opponent takes advantage instead of letting go of the sword and fight with fists...

Can the victorious claim I am the best?

Can he say I am superior? Can he say I posses the skills and the opponent was no match for me? Freakin hell NO!

Does the winner prove with such actions of commiting a kill when the opponent has no sword that he is the best?

The winner is a freakin loser because all he can brag about is that he has more luck than a blind squirrel crossing a 10 lane highway at rush hour.
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    iainf72 wrote:
    "If you draw your sword and you drop it, you die." - Ryder Hesjedal
    Excellent!
    Seems to me that his (Vino's) immediate reaction to the mechanical was different to Contador's.
    Vino was just surprised and thus in a quandary, as his job during that stage was man-to-man marking.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    edited July 2010
    Some of you really need to understand that this is professional sport not a geography field trip. This waiting nonsense has gone too far and is based on an idealised view of the sport's past which simply doesn't exist. It's only a matter of time before riders start abusing it.

What Schleck did was a a mistake which he could easily have avoided with better gear shifting. His fault, pure and simple. He made a move and blew it. In other sports, if you make a mistake, you are liable to be punished for it by your opponent. But in cycling some seem to think that the Yellow Jersey is some sort of 'get out of free' card for bad racing. Had Schleck forgotten to eat and bonked, would they have waited for him? Because that's another rider error, same as slipping a chain. Soon we'll be expecting them to go slow if the Yellow Jersey isn't feeling very well.

Now, if a rider acts as he wouldn't be expected to (e.g. getting his team to up the pace on a flat stage if a rival punctures), then that is underhanded. But Contador was in the last 3km of the last mountain and at full speed. He had every right to keep going.

And how long should he have waited. Schleck took 30 seconds to put his chain back on, which is pretty poor.

I also find it laughable that some expect some sort of Corinthian sense of fair play in a sport where so many have doped.

In sport sh1t happens. All the lesser riders have to deal with this - so why shouldn't the ones who have more talent. Gestures of sportsmanship should be a rarity, not the standard.

Here's a couple of fictional scenarios.

1. Exactly the same situation, but Schleck is actually feeling bad with little left in him. So he launches a brief attack (all he can do) and deliberately slips his chain. Contador then sportingly sits up and rides tempo with him to the end of the stage (if he doesn't some will vilify him). This is how things can be abused.

2. Rather than Schleck in Yellow, it's Vino, a convicted doper. And instead of Contador, it's Evans, a man with a spotless reputation. The stage plays out the same as stage 15 actually did. Is Evans being unsporting?

And here's a possible scenario: Schleck will probably want to launch an attack, right at the base of the Tourmalet. If Contador crashes/punctures at that point, should he change his pre-planned strategy and give up the Tour.

And if, in the time trial, Schleck hears Contador has punctured or crashed, should Schleck sit up?
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • donrhummy
    donrhummy Posts: 2,329
    iainf72 wrote:

LOVE THAT QUOTE!!
  • psiturbo
    psiturbo Posts: 64
    What was the crowd reaction when Contador was given the yellow jersey?

Once again, this is not the movie Gladiator!

The quote is really stupid,

"If your parachute does not open at a 10,000 feet jump, you die." Daaa!

"If you have sex with a prostitute without a condom, you die." LOL

"If you are under the car changing a sensor and the car jack breaks, you die" Really?!

Of course he will lose if his chain breaks/falls, thats a no brainer.
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    RichN95 wrote:
    Some of you really need to understand that this is professional sport not a geography field trip.

The issue here is AC attacking purely on the strenghth of the mechanical then telling porkies about it, his repuatation has taken a battering imo. The cycling fans booing him repeatedly at the ceremony arent doing it becuase he is an honourable guy !
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • iainf72
    psiturbo wrote:

Of course he will lose if his chain breaks/falls, thats a no brainer.

I think you missed the point. (that being, Andy had made the attack and then dropped his chain)
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Should Vino and Evans have waited when Basso slipped on the muddy roads in the epic Strade Bianche stage of the Giro? Should Paris-Roubaix have a safety car to neutralise the race each time someone drops a chain, punctures or slides? Should the prologue times be handicapped because some had to ride in the rain?

Looks to me like Andy Schleck made the schoolboy error of attacking with the chain on the inner ring at the front and the smallest sprocket on the back. As any MTB rider knows, it's bonjour chainsuck time.
  • Moray Gub wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    Some of you really need to understand that this is professional sport not a geography field trip.

The issue here is AC attacking purely on the strenghth of the mechanical then telling porkies about it, his repuatation has taken a battering imo. The cycling fans booing him repeatedly at the ceremony arent doing it becuase he is an honourable guy !

One of the news reports was about Contador being villainised in this. I think maybe Schleck himself inferred this in the interest surely of 'good sportsmanship' and in the interest of the sport in the eye of the public.

It's easy to portray Contawindow this way since he is already the big favourite to win before the Tour even began and truthfully, I've got my own personal doubts on him. But I don't want to negatively judge him on what really is not substantial evidence in my mind at least.
  • greasedscotsman
    greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962
    OK, how about another scenario. Contador has a mechanical of some sort halfway up the Tourmalet tomorrow. Does Schlecky attack or sit up and wait for him? He did state after Monday's stage that in a similar situation, he would not have attacked, but then Contador didn't wait for him, so why not attack?
  • iainf72
    OK, how about another scenario. Contador has a mechanical of some sort halfway up the Tourmalet tomorrow. Does Schlecky attack or sit up and wait for him? He did state after Monday's stage that in a similar situation, he would not have attacked, but then Contador didn't wait for him, so why not attack?

Here's the way I see it. If they're riding along together, one has a mechanical, no one attacks while it's sorted.

They're riding along, someone attacks but a bit further on has a mechanical, tough bananas, it's game on.

If the race is in full flow, no one should wait.
  • Rich Hcp
    Rich Hcp Posts: 1,355
    Its a bike RACE!

Why should the other competitors stop or hold back, just because some one has a mechanical problem?

If they were in the same team, you could understand it, but they are not.

In a motor race or rally and you have a problem, tough.

That's the way it goes.

This has been the best Tour for years, lets hope this silliness doesn't spoil it
    Richard

Giving it Large
  • Homer J
    Homer J Posts: 920
    I agree with Iain72
    I think some people on here just don't get it. When they say AC should have waited it does not mean he stops, it means he just soft pedals and not attackes, until he's back on.

(the above usually only applies to the MJ and its contenders)
  • Quickstep wouldn't ride Specialized chainsets because they were too flexy. Maybe saxo should have followed suit?

There was 1 hill left on that stage and Contador had kept his powder dry all day so was going to do something. It is unfortunate that Shleck had a mechanical but it was his own fault. I've been on club runs where they don't stop for mechanicals, this is the Tour with a little more at stake!
  • PauloBets wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:
    PauloBets wrote:

You're seeing this from the comfort of an armchair and a TV slowmotion! Try biking up a real mountain for hours, your legs burning, the sun is blazing down in intense heat and you're trying to focus on the summit.

Suddenly, Schleck attacks on a steep section.

Contador reacts slowly, then the adrenaline kicks in, he almost panics and forces the pedals. He sees Vino kick off past Schleck.

Now Schleck slows down, but AC is still having an adrenaline rush. What does he see in a briefest of seconds? Contador's mind is probably confused. "Why's Schleck slowing down?"

He might have seen a chain off, but he probably didn't. He certainly looked puzzled 30 seconds later on as he looked around. Decisions HAVE to be made there and then.

I'm not an apologist for Contador, but we are in RACE conditions on the toughest of sections in the toughest sport in the world, they have been pounding the roads for the past 15 days. They are tired, incredibly hot, exhausted. Do you function 100% in them condition, even in an armchair?

The fact is, you saw with your own eyes Schlecks problem because you saw the repeats. Contador was racing and following in from an attack from Schleck.

The most sensible post on this to date. I absolutely agree. Love hesjdal's quote.
    Dan
  • Bugly
    Bugly Posts: 520
    Ok I am a babyboomer - to me what AC did was wrong - but then I am a dinosaur. Wonder if its mostly GenYs that support the win at all costs and bugger the sportsmanship?