what happened to sportsmanship ?

cyclingtaz
cyclingtaz Posts: 326
edited July 2010 in Pro race
as the title says really after todays stage it looks like its non existent in sport now
"you tried your best and failed miserably. the lesson is never to try"

Comments

• ynyswen24
    ynyswen24 Posts: 703
    Join the other two threads discussing just this point...
  • Orleandrew
    Orleandrew Posts: 61
    ynyswen24 wrote:
    Join the other three threads discussing just this point...

fyp
  • ynyswen24
    ynyswen24 Posts: 703
    artpyoms
  • Buckled_Rims
    Buckled_Rims Posts: 1,648
    Schleck mucked up his gear change and Contador took advantage of it.

That's racing!
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • Bugly
    Bugly Posts: 520
    sorry its not racing or rather it never used to be - That Contador attacked at that point breached racng etiquette, as would attacking a rider when they are having a 'nature' break. The move may be decisive but it shows AC in a new light - went way down in my eyes.
    :(
  • eh
    eh Posts: 4,854
    Argghh, this really winds me up there has never ever been any unwritten rules in cycling, people take advantage of others misfortune, always have done always will, f**k all to do with sportsmanship. This is PRO cycling if you don't like it watch Eastenders or something.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,223
    eh wrote:
    Argghh, this really winds me up there has never ever been any unwritten rules in cycling, people take advantage of others misfortune, always have done always will, f**k all to do with sportsmanship. This is PRO cycling if you don't like it watch Eastenders or something.

Yes there has, you've just never seen them :wink:
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    Of course there have been unwritten rules - otherwise why don't riders attack when a rival punctures ? Whether you like them or not is one thing but don't pretend they haven't been respected by the riders for years.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    I still can't see that Contador did anything wrong. Schleck had attacked, Contador responded and went past as Schleck's chain derailled, tough on Andy but that's how it goes. It's a long way from launching an attack just because you have seen someone get a problem.

The trouble if you expect riders to wait no matter what the circumstances of a rivals misfortune is that someone who can't respond to a move might suddenly "develop" a problem that stops everything in it's tracks. Footballers are not the only ones who would dive to gain an advantage.
  • Pross
    Of course there have been unwritten rules - otherwise why don't riders attack when a rival punctures ? Whether you like them or not is one thing but don't pretend they haven't been respected by the riders for years.

+1 there'll be attacks at feed zones at this rate as there's no unwritten rule saying you don't do it apparently.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Smokin Joe wrote:
    I still can't see that Contador did anything wrong. Schleck had attacked, Contador responded and went past as Schleck's chain derailled, tough on Andy but that's how it goes. It's a long way from launching an attack just because you have seen someone get a problem.

The trouble if you expect riders to wait no matter what the circumstances of a rivals misfortune is that someone who can't respond to a move might suddenly "develop" a problem that stops everything in it's tracks. Footballers are not the only ones who would dive to gain an advantage.

Contador's attack robbed everyone of a good battle of legs.

Instead it was a capitalisation of a mechanical, weather caused by a mistake or misfortune.

That's why people are p1ssed. They want a battle which isn't decided by mechanicals, and had Contador waited, which wouldn't have taken too much, we would have seen that battle.

That's what sporstmanship is about. Winning or not in the way the sport is supposed to be won, rather than in an unfortunate way it can be won.
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    Smokin Joe wrote:

All Contador had been doing had been riding up to Schleck's wheel - as soon as he saw he had a mechanical he attacked. It's exactly like launching an attack when you see someone has a mechanical.

Nobody is saying riders should wait no matter what the circumstances are and in general slowing up a bit still requires the rider in trouble to ride hard back up to the group - it's not like they are neutralising the rest of the climb just easing off slightly to give time for the person to sprint back - it'd still be a disadvantage so nobody is going to fake a mechanical.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • Homer J
    Homer J Posts: 920
    Unwritten rules don't exist? Try reading any book by an ex pro and you might learn something. :roll:
  • Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    Smokin Joe wrote:

Contador's attack robbed everyone of a good battle of legs.

Instead it was a capitalisation of a mechanical, weather caused by a mistake or misfortune.

That's why people are p1ssed. They want a battle which isn't decided by mechanicals, and had Contador waited, which wouldn't have taken too much, we would have seen that battle.

That's what sporstmanship is about. Winning or not in the way the sport is supposed to be won, rather than in an unfortunate way it can be won.
    We'll have to agree to differ on this. Neither Contador or Schleck came to the tour overly concerned about giving the TV viewing public a good battle of legs, neither did Merckx or Indurain or anyone else for that matter.

There has to be a line beyond which waiting for a rival who has a problem is or isn't expected, and in my view continuing a move which had already started is completely different from jumping away after you had seen the other rider's trouble.
  • phearnde
    phearnde Posts: 73
    Schleck wouldn't still be in contention if Contador et all hadn't waited when he and many others crashed in stage 2 of the race.

What wound me up, was bertie claiming ignorance of Schleck's problem, when interviewed at the end of the stage.
  • sampurnell
    sampurnell Posts: 126
    phearnde wrote:
    What wound me up, was bertie claiming ignorance of Schleck's problem, when interviewed at the end of the stage.

Seconded. also the astana rider that went with schleck wasnt contador.
    Bertie, is about 5 feet behind him when his chain fell so to say i didnt see it is pure bull.
  • Meds1962
    Meds1962 Posts: 391
    Assuming he wins I think Contador will reget it in time as there will always be a cloud over the circumstances of yesterday's time gain. It's in his interests now to make the gap as large as possible to demonstrate it isn't a crucial factor. Or Andy Schleck drop him far enough from Thursday's finish to recover?
    O na bawn i fel LA
  • Dave-M
    Dave-M Posts: 206
    If there is so many unwritten rules the rider abide by, why not stick drug taking/doping in there as well.

It's a bit rich for them to have all these unwritten rules but be cheating in other areas.
    2010 Specialized Allez Elite
    2009 Specialized Rockhopper
    2009 Quintana Roo Seduza
  • Homer J
    Homer J Posts: 920
    Dave-M wrote:
    If there is so many unwritten rules the rider abide by, why not stick drug taking/doping in there as well.

It's a bit rich for them to have all these unwritten rules but be cheating in other areas.

It is, No1. don't grass your teammate up if you get caught :wink:
  • sampurnell
    sampurnell Posts: 126
    Dave-M wrote:

i see what you mean, but an unwritten rule usually involves the rule not being written....
  • hobbescp
    hobbescp Posts: 197
    These boys haven't taken their eyes off each other for the last few stages..and all of a sudden AC doesn't see the mechanical problem five feet in front of him - what a load of BS.

He saw it, he thought "fark me, I can make some time up here", then attacked like a weasel. No good apologising after the event and making up some BS cover story.

Contador's yellow jersey isn't fit to wipe Andy's arse....
  • pedro118118
    pedro118118 Posts: 1,102
    Pross wrote:

+1 there'll be attacks at feed zones at this rate as there's no unwritten rule saying you don't do it apparently.

Sky already tried that earlier this year - ask Roger Hammond.
  • Pross
    I know (well, they rode hard through it rather than attacking)- that post was originally going to say or riding hard when the race leader needs a pee.

This is why there's a need for unwritten rules and etiquette otherwise where does it end? People will take food from a team car before a feed then blitz off the front when everyone else is getting their mussette leaving the choice of chasing or getting some food.
  • micron
    micron Posts: 1,843
    Sorry, is the TdF or a kid's birthday party? How many gifts does Schleck want FFS? They should have left his whiny skinny carcass by the roadside on stage 2 - then let's see whether he's in contention for any jersey, let alone the Yellow one.

His problem is he preferred to play silly beggars on stage 14 instead of trying to attack, knowing that all 3 men behind him are better in the TT. If Contador hadn't countered yesterday, Sanchez and Menchov would still have attacked and gained time and, if Schleck hadn't bothered to chase again his position on any of the 3 steps of the podium would be under threat his TT is so poor. Instead of faffing about doing track stands, he should have been applying himself to the serious task of winning the race. I can absolutely imaging Contador having had more than enough of Schleck's oh so clever 'poker game'
  • luckao
    luckao Posts: 632
    hobbescp wrote:
    He saw it, he thought "fark me, I can make some time up here", then attacked like a weasel

He's more like a shark that took a chunk out of Schleck's leg.. nom nom.
  • micron
    micron Posts: 1,843
    If you want to know when sportsmanship went out of this race you only have to look at Saxo Bank attacking the yellow jersey on the cobbles after he'd punctured? Or does that not count as a mechanical? Or was it too early in the race? Or was Schleck already mentally in yellow so he couldn't attack himself? After the courtesy shown on stage 2 by all the teams - including Astana -to attack the yellow jersey and your biggest rival when held up by a crash is a blinding example of sportsmanship, right?

I'd be b*ggered if I'd sit back and give someone the gift of rewarding their own incompetence after he'd attacked my own genuine misfortune
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Yesterday's events only served to neutralise the advantage that Saxo were given on stage 2 - seems they have one rule for themselves and one rule for others. Schleck instigated yesterday's attack and then he makes a schoolboy error of jamming his gear. He only lost 12 seconds due to the mechanical, the remainder was down to his numbtie descending skills, which nicely brings us back to stage 2..
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Monty Dog wrote:
    . He only lost 12 seconds due to the mechanical, the remainder was down to his numbtie descending skills, which nicely brings us back to stage 2..

You wonder how much time he would have lost had he been in Contadors group when they crested the top... Me thinks less.
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    Pross wrote:
    Of course there have been unwritten rules - otherwise why don't riders attack when a rival punctures ?
    Read the examples I gave in one of the other threads about who attacked when the main rival or the yellow jersey punctured.

Re feed zones, that's where Hinault attacked in 1984 when trying to grab the yellow jersey off Fignon.
  • The F1 Championship leaders didn't slow down or stop when Vettel punctured at the British GP the other weekend...
    Earn Cashback @ Wiggle, CRC, Evans, AW Cycles, Alpine Bikes, ProBikeKit, Cycles UK :

http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/stewartmead