Whats your Winter Bike plan?

13»

Comments

• MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663
    If it's as bad as last year I'll swap the Panaracer Ribmo tire on the back for something a bit knobblier, otherwise my SS hybrid will stay pretty much the same.
  • nich
    nich Posts: 888
    I don't know but I've got to think of something pronto!

First thing I did when I got in tonight was give my bike a wash down in the bath tub after getting caught in the heavy downpours on the way home and covered in mess. I can't be doing with that every night during winter!

Considering a cheap bike that I can use only for winter, but I don't think I'll enjoy it if it becomes a slog (I like my fast road bike!).

Tempted to ditch the gears and get something with a disc brake for added safety.

*ponders*
  • It'll be the Orbea for me (link below). Simple, seven speed casette and chain, full length mudguards. Might add some reflective bar tape, though.

Got some great Biemme Super-Roubaix bib-tights last year after going most of the winter in some Aldi jobs. I reckon I'll be toastie enough. My Campagnolo gloves were fine down to -10 last year too.

Am pondering getting even stronger lights, though. I see there's a new MagicShine rear light you can run off the same battery as the front. :shock:
  • My winter bike plan took one step closer to completion last night. Fitted the Bontrager Satellite Nebula 'fenders'. A good fit but you have to throw the instructions in the bin and follow your instincts!!

Photo0200.jpg
    FCN : 8

Fast Hybrid 7.
    Baggies +1
    SPD's -1
    Full mudguards for a dry bottom. + 1
  • I have an old Raleigh Royal tourer, which I've equipped with a Nexus 7. That'll be the winter hack; full mudguards, IGH, easy breezy beautiful. I do wish the brakes were better.

I do also have a project I started several years ago and haven't finished; it's an old Falcon steel frame, a size or two too small for me, with TT bullhorns, and fitted with a set of wheels off a dutch-style bike. These are steel rimmed, but with hub brakes and 5 speed SA hub gears, and I threw some big chunky mudguards on for good measure. It looks tough as nails, like something out of mad max, but the rear tube kept blowing out, and I didn't quite have time to take all measures to find out why. 4 years ago. Perhaps it's time.

This is an in-progress photo from when it was going to be a single speed (before I acquired those wheels). It has wrapped bars, featuring the 5 speed shifter (that was a bugger to get on), and a chain and cranks now, as well as a rack. Just needs tyre inflation to roll.

Image110.jpg
  • Big Wib
    Big Wib Posts: 363
    mattrsa wrote:
    I'm just going to ride the same bike and wear more cloths. Simple as!

+1 (Spec Tricross, racks & mudguards for the commute)

I'll also get some mudguards for the other bike (VN Yukon) & that's me done

although I'm sure I will find a 'reason' to spend money on some other new bits & pieces
  • BOYDIE
    BOYDIE Posts: 528
    My Trek FX is currently undergoing a SS conversion,Ill post picks later when finished.Went through a set of jockey wheels,cassette and a chain last winter and cleaning the bike was a pain.Fingers crossed the SS will make life easier.

Had full mudguards fitted,but my toes still got wet,so home made mud flaps were the way forward. :D

And I swear the Aldi winter gloves rock,matched with a merino wool thin liner my hands stayed warm and cosy through out the winter,and we had lying snow for over 4 weeks. :shock:
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    I'm in two minds.... I don't give a monkeys about the Vanquish (actually it's quite a light fast bike for a cheapie) so I wouldn't mind it getting crapped up over winter.

..............but

The Trek District is so easy to keep clean and shiny that it's no effort.....

Might just keep on the Trek and sell / swap the Vanquish for something with a smaller frame that the Mrs can ride more easily.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • thel33ter
    thel33ter Posts: 2,684
    Ride my 'summer' bike in winter, therefore making it a winter bike :roll:
    And now you know, and knowing is half the battle
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    05 Trek 1000 Custom build
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Something on order - not a proper winter bike because the really nasty weather will be dealt with by my MTB; so it will be a year round commuter for 'normal' weather.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • I'll get some mudguards for my commuting bike.

If it snows, then I'll break out the Orange P7 (almost hoping it does actually).
    FCN - 10
    Cannondale Bad Boy Solo with baggies.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Raceblades, maybe 105 groupset (but may save that for a new 'summer' build).

4 season tyres.

New front brake if 105 doesn't go on the SCR.

New winter clothes possibly including but not limited to:
      Proper winter gloves, 3 tights possibly one bib 3-4 base layers Maybe a winter jacket. 3-4 full length jerseys.

I lack winter clothes IMO
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Want some 105 calipers for postage? I've got two pairs kicking about that I've taken off other bikes.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • thel33ter
    thel33ter Posts: 2,684
    Asprilla wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Want some 105 calipers for postage? I've got two pairs kicking about that I've taken off other bikes.

I'll happily take them if he doesn't :D Please...
    And now you know, and knowing is half the battle
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    05 Trek 1000 Custom build
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    thel33ter wrote:
    Ride my 'summer' bike in winter, therefore making it a winter bike :roll:

I know, right? I can only assume that every other poster on this thread lives north of the Arctic circle :roll:
  • WesternWay
    WesternWay Posts: 564
    Big Wib wrote:
    mattrsa wrote:
    I'm just going to ride the same bike and wear more cloths. Simple as!

+1. That is what got me through last winter. More clothes and more swearing and absolutely no thinking before going out in the morning
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,411
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Raceblades, maybe 105 groupset (but may save that for a new 'summer' build).

4 season tyres.

New winter clothes possibly including but not limited to:
      Proper winter gloves,
    3 tights possibly one bib
    3-4 base layers
    Maybe a winter jacket.
    3-4 full length jerseys.

I lack winter clothes IMO

DHB Merstons FTW. I'd get some decent warm overshoes as well. If the jerseys are warm enough + thermal bib tights underneath, you won't need the jacket much, at least not if you're riding 20 miles each way.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Yeah that is a good point.

During the last christmas party I was wearing two tights, a long and short sleve jersey. I looked massive. I think Greg made a comment about my thighs... :cry:

This time i'm just going to buy the proper clothing.

+1 on the overshoes.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • neiltb
    neiltb Posts: 332
    well as I'm currently stuck on n+0, winter means, put fenders on bike, find skull cap thing for under lid, find my cannondale winter gloves (excellent btw, even in -20 plus (minus!) wind chill), windproof jacket thingy and take the slicks off and replace with something more suitable (TBD).

Mustn't forget the weekly drivetrain overhauls to keep it going. Get ready for silly looks.
    FCN 12
  • Bike - put lights back on - erm, that's it.

Me - discarded old track suit bottoms (served faithfully for the last two years) and bought DHB full length bibs, new endura thermolite skull cap to keep bonce & ears warm plus awaiting endura stealth jacket to be delivered. Now just need some waterproof shoes as putting on overshoes is a real pita!