Whats your Winter Bike plan?

geordiefella
geordiefella Posts: 302
edited August 2010 in Commuting chat
Anyone planning a cx single speed?
Whats your winter bike plan?
If you're learning from your winter experience, what are you gonna change about riding in the coming winter Bike and Gear-wise?
Cannondale BadBoy Rohloff
Cannondale SuperSix / 11sp Chorus
Ridley Excalibur / 10sp Centaur
Steel Marin Bear Valley SE
Twitter @roadbikedave

Comments

• PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    sorry, did summer even start yet? :)
  • pastryboy
    pastryboy Posts: 1,385
    I'm already thinking about this too.

Last year I had lots of problems with freewheels not working in the cold.

This year. Usual steel CX bike but going from single speed to fixed with a 3/16 chain

Same other gear as last year - P7 torch, night vision windstopper jacket, waterproof shorts
  • PBo wrote:
    sorry, did summer even start yet? :)
    Think of this as the equivalent of the supermarkets' "Back to school" promotions in June ...
  • geordiefella
    pastryboy wrote:
    Last year I had lots of problems with freewheels not working in the cold.
    Usual steel CX bike but going from single speed to fixed with a 3/16 chain
    s

yep - i was thinking of a flip flop cx too. 2011 Genesis Single Speed is looking good. As is this
    http://www.billys.co.uk/english/group.p ... kg1b7t7ph7
    Twitter @roadbikedave
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    sticking with the BSO through the winter; 7 speed screw on cassette, wheels that cost £25 each; CX tyres (maybe, if it snows)

Only problem I had with it in the winter was the rear mech freezing
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    At the moment I'm going to use my single speed but I'm also thinking about getting Mrs A a Trek Soho (carbon gates drive and Alfine hub gears) and then appropriating it during the bad weather.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • marchant
    marchant Posts: 362
    My winter bike will be the current singlspeed, with it's mysteriously silent freehub (really - I can coast withiout making a noise), maybe tweak the gear ratio, definitely fit a new brake for the back end.
  • lastant
    lastant Posts: 526
    Think I'm just going to pick up a Decathlon Vitamin for £69.00 (!!!).

Did think about buying a 'nice' singlespeed, but I'm starting to think at that price I could pretty much pick up the Vitamin and just run it into the ground without feeling too bad.

Maybe get a better singlespeed once I've got through this winter.
    One Man and LEJOG : End-to-End on Two Wheels in Two Weeks (Buy the book; or Kindle it!)
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    edited July 2010
    The normal commuter for me, with a geared CX :wink: if it snows.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    The standard issue wheels will be going back on with some mudguards and more lights, got all the clothing already, will convert the frame to a single speed probably next year when I get another bike and I will demote this one to purely commuting.
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    the normal commute bike, which is tough as old boots, can handle snow/ice fine.

I'm thinking of replacing it in a bit though for something a bit lighter/faster.
  • gb155
    gb155 Posts: 2,048
    Anyone planning a cx single speed?
    Whats your winter bike plan?
    If you're learning from your winter experience, what are you gonna change about riding in the coming winter Bike and Gear-wise?

Picked up my winter hack last week :D

img_0088.jpg
    On a Mission to lose 20 stone..Get My Life Back

December 2007 - 39 Stone 05 Lbs

July 2011 - 13 Stone 12 Lbs - Cycled 17851 Miles

http://39stonecyclist.com
    Now the hard work starts.
  • nich
    nich Posts: 888

WOW! :) That looks like a bargain, now I'm tempted too!
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    Asprilla wrote:
    At the moment I'm going to use my single speed but I'm also thinking about getting Mrs A a Trek Soho (carbon gates drive and Alfine hub gears) and then appropriating it during the bad weather.

Sneaky :)
  • andy83
    andy83 Posts: 1,558
    bought a fixed gear last month to use, also got an old mountain bike at work im going to give some tlc for the snowy / icy days

dont think im allowed another bike til next year when i get my madone :)
  • Oh the shame. I have only one bike so will be forcing it to go through the winter as well. It is one of those functional hybrids though.
  • jimmcdonnell
    jimmcdonnell Posts: 328
    I'll just put the Crud Roadracers on the Litespeed, dress warmly and carry on as usual.

If it's really thick frost or snow (or really, really torrential rain, since the Cosmic Carbones on the Litespeed fill up with water and gurgle for weeks) I'll take the Focus CX bike.

The only other change will be the Ay-Up red lights go back on the helmet. Front ones stay on the bike all year.
    Litespeed Tuscany, Hope/Open Pro, Ultegra, pulling an Extrawheel trailer, often as not.

FCR 4 (I think?)
    Twitter: @jimjmcdonnell
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    marchant wrote:
    My winter bike will be the current singlspeed, with it's mysteriously silent freehub (really - I can coast withiout making a noise), maybe tweak the gear ratio, definitely fit a new brake for the back end.

Sounds interesting; do tell us more.

I definitely want the advice of you guys as the weather worsens, but I'm hoping we have a couple more months of summer to enjoy first.

I'll just be using the same old customised Fuji Track, but I will be looking to get it winter proofed at some point. I think I will maybe exchange the fixed cog for a lower geared freewheel so I can flip the wheel on particularly windy days. Other than that I will probably need some better gripping tyres and it would be amazing if I could somehow squeeze some decent mudguards on.

My questions to follow will almost certainly be more geared towards clothing.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345

Get quality clothing is my advice. E.g. I spent £99 on a Gore Phantom jacket a couple of years, but it's the absolute business - pound for pound, might be the best bit of kit I have; just never feel cold, whatever the weather.

If necessary, buy a bit each a month up to winter to spread the cost.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Roastie
    Roastie Posts: 1,968
    Alfine with belt and disc brakes. :)
  • I'm going to just use my Hybrid and hope for the best.
    Giant Escape M1....
    Penny Farthing
    Unicycle
    The bike the Goodies rode
    Pogo Stick
    Donkey on Roller skates.......OK I'm lying, but I am down to one bike right now and I feel bad about it,
  • geordiefella
    nich wrote:

WOW! :) That looks like a bargain, now I'm tempted too!

My, thats cheap, is it made of Suet, or hardened butter?
    Twitter @roadbikedave
  • geordiefella
    clothing-wise, i wore a jacket (dhb event) which was really great, but found that i got warmer. i'm defo going to get a winter jersey this year and simply keep the jacket for the wet days.

Jersey-wise, I fancy a Rapha. they feel great on, or alternative a windproof front thing w/ long sleeves.

secondly, but in fact this is a dead cert I've fancying some Shimano mw80 spd shoes. i rode last winter in Summer BG sport mesh things with Merino Sealskins (much better than the regular sealskins) although i was still fairly close to amputation some evenings.

Bibs-wise, Giordana windproof longs were superb. wore them day in day out. warm even when wet and the bib is low down so doesn't affect upper body layering.
    Twitter @roadbikedave
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Roastie wrote:

Not fair. That's what I want. :(
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • Levi_501
    Levi_501 Posts: 1,105
    More socks and over shoes 8)

Apart from that, just switch the lights on.
  • dav1
    dav1 Posts: 1,298
    hoping to sort myself a singlespeed or fixie for ultimate low maintenance commuting. ALso t reduce spring service costs.
    Giant TCR advanced 2 (Summer/race)
    Merlin single malt fixie (Commuter/winter/training)
    Trek superfly 7 (Summer XC)
    Giant Yukon singlespeed conversion (winter MTB/Ice/snow)

Carrera virtuoso - RIP
  • Roastie
    Roastie Posts: 1,968
    Asprilla wrote:
    Roastie wrote:

Hopefully we'll work out a way to get the price realistic ...
  • andy83
    cjcp wrote:

Get quality clothing is my advice. E.g. I spent £99 on a Gore Phantom jacket a couple of years, but it's the absolute business - pound for pound, might be the best bit of kit I have; just never feel cold, whatever the weather.

If necessary, buy a bit each a month up to winter to spread the cost.

+1

im getting an altura ergo fit jacket, had night vision last year but i lost weight now so way too big, ill also get some more dhb bibs as i wore mine out last year but they were 3 years old and have had loads of use, will do as a spare if my new pair get wet, but id like some new ones actually

gloves are massive thing for me as i have problems with hands

i may purchase some mudguards this year as went last year without them :(
  • andy83
    Roastie wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:
    Roastie wrote:

How much do you think you can retail one of your bikes for? im seriously interested, i like unique things and lets face it you wont see many of your bikes around but they look great
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    andy83 wrote:
    Roastie wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:
    Roastie wrote:

How much do you think you can retail one of your bikes for? im seriously interested, i like unique things and lets face it you wont see many of your bikes around but they look great

I'm not so sure about the last bit as there are quite a few of us here who would be tempted to take a hammer to the piggy bank to own one of those.