asprilla Posts: 8,440
    edited July 2010
    andy83 wrote:
    Roastie wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:
    Roastie wrote:
    Alfine with belt and disc brakes. :)

Not fair. That's what I want. :(
    Hopefully we'll work out a way to get the price realistic ...

How much do you think you can retail one of your bikes for? im seriously interested, i like unique things and lets face it you wont see many of your bikes around but they look great

I'm not so sure about the last bit as there are quite a few of us here who would be tempted to take a hammer to the piggy bank to own one of those.

Aslon as the geometry is ok (I have long legs and a short body) then I already have a fund waiting.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • andy83
    andy83 Posts: 1,558
    andy83 wrote:
    Roastie wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:
    Roastie wrote:
    Alfine with belt and disc brakes. :)

Not fair. That's what I want. :(
    Hopefully we'll work out a way to get the price realistic ...

How much do you think you can retail one of your bikes for? im seriously interested, i like unique things and lets face it you wont see many of your bikes around but they look great

I'm not so sure about the last bit as there are quite a few of us here who would be tempted to take a hammer to the piggy bank to own one of those.

you seem to forget im in birmingham where you hardly see any cyclists as it is :)
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,411
    Oh the shame. I have only one bike so will be forcing it to go through the winter as well. It is one of those functional hybrids though.

No shame in that. My winter bike plans will be to carry on riding the same bike , but just keep the raceblades on, and keep it lubed and cleaned more regularly. Much the same as last year in fact. Winter bike Schminter bike.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • jimmcdonnell
    jimmcdonnell Posts: 328
    Clothing-wise, the best things I've bought:

1) Gore Phantom windstopper jacket - great in Autumn with nothing underneath, in the depths of winter I have a long Craft base layer under it, and a gilet on top. Was fine down to -5C this year, on a 6-mile commute. I have 2 now, so I can wash one and wear one.

2) Shimano Gore-Tex boots (I think any other brand of similar boot would do as well) - faffed about with merino socks, SealSkinz socks, merino Sealskinz socks, shoe covers etc - always arrived with cold feet. Got waterproof, insulated boots and presto! warm feet, and much more comfy as I only need thin socks inside the boots. Even with wet feet (in freezing, hosing winter rain the water soaked down through my bib tights and socks) they're still warm.
    Litespeed Tuscany, Hope/Open Pro, Ultegra, pulling an Extrawheel trailer, often as not.

FCR 4 (I think?)
    Twitter: @jimjmcdonnell
  • Clarion
    Clarion Posts: 223
    Winter bike = summer bike.

Maybe a lower gear.
    Riding on 531
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    fixie and winter clothing for commuting, normal bike and winter clothing for club/proper riding.

hopefully picking up a cheaper alu bike for winter, probably some kind of cross.
  • georgee
    georgee Posts: 537
    Full guards on the fixie Roadrat with some new marathon plus 28's and some full guards and some koolstop pads once the current original ones wear out.

Anyone thinking of going with metal studs if we get the same ice and snow again?

I came off last week in RP on a roundabout given the damp roads were so greasey.
  • Chewy Cheeks
    Chewy Cheeks Posts: 234
    Building up a steel framed SS at the minute - the big idea is to let the eldest use it geared over the summer and the run as a single speed while the retro Giant raodie gets mothballed over winter. Its a plan and it could change.
    No Babbit No, Look what Birdy doing
  • wizzlebanger
    wizzlebanger Posts: 177
    Alas for me it's mudguards and more cleaning / lubing of my current bike.

Although, if work bring in the cycle to work scheme I may be tempted to get a 'best' bike and use my Trek 7.5 just for commuting.

oh look a flying pig.
    FCN : 8

Fast Hybrid 7.
    Baggies +1
    SPD's -1
    Full mudguards for a dry bottom. + 1
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,181
    I'm just fitting the mudguards back on the hybrid - makes a good winter bike based on last winters experience :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    I pretty much had my winter bike sorted by the end of last winter.

Hope hubs to deal with freehub issues, panniers for kit carrying duties, light mounts and reflectors (complete with backups), and mudguards to add a modicum of comfort.

Then some git stole it.

Time to start again.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Lordy - this is a miserable thread.

Anyhow - I plan to stay on my Focus Variado road bike until the ice sets in and then switch to my new Cube Reaction with Ice Spikers. Even on my 10 year old Kona Cinder Cone, I only started to run into issues with the cold at -9c (brakes & deraillier freezing).

As for clothing, I'm a +1 for the Goretex boots. I'm going to give the Gore Phantom a try as I've heard nothing but good things about them. The only remaining problem is gloves. My Sealskinz waterproof things seemed to have been made inside-out - keeping sweat in and letting rain in too. It didn't seem to matter what the weather was doing, I arrived with wet hands. Tempted by the Assos layering system.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    I'm just fitting the mudguards back on the hybrid - makes a good winter bike based on last winters experience :)

Never took them off, as it gets used as the Winter & Summer hack
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    Possible change of plan. I have a feeling my Fuji is going to need a pretty big service soon (headset keeps coming loose, as do the crank arms and the rims could do with being trued) and so I may just keep my eyes peeled for a good value, quality, second-hand, SS that is not too old instead of shelling out on the old Fuji.
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,629
    Make a fixed :D
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • Butterd2
    Butterd2 Posts: 937
    I'll be getting back on the Pace in the winter, put mudguards on it for the first time last year, what a difference! Wish I had done that sooner.
    May go for the overboots this year now I'm actively trying to stay dry.
    Scott CR-1 (FCN 4)
    Pace RC200 FG Conversion (FCN 5)
    Giant Trance X

My collection of Cols
  • MadammeMarie
    MadammeMarie Posts: 621
    Anyone planning a cx single speed?
    Whats your winter bike plan?
    If you're learning from your winter experience, what are you gonna change about riding in the coming winter Bike and Gear-wise?

Never EVER mention the "w" word in the middle of the summer. It is forbiden....!
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    My winter bike plan is probably to buy a Specialized Tricross, and stick a rack and full mudguards on it.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    My SS bike is a 45 year old steel framed TT bike that my dad rode back in the day. Therefore it only sees the light of day in dry, summer days with no salt on the roads.

The winder bike will be the Boardman for its 3rd year. I've just taken the front mech off. What I'd really for the winter like is some new forks with disk brake mounts, a brake (hydraulic?) to mount on it and new front wheel and disc. Lovelly!
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • pastryboy wrote:
    I'm already thinking about this too.

Last year I had lots of problems with freewheels not working in the cold.

Strip down, degrease, use light oil, they work then. Think of it as a winter service type thing for a bike.
    FCN Minus 5 (+/- 12)
    Genesis Flyer
    Orange O2
    Trick Superlight team
    Custom steel flat bar fixed jobbie for commuting
  • domjon
    domjon Posts: 25
    a sure sign this summer is dying a death.

I've just ordered some mudguards for the boardman, about to order some conti gp 4 seasons. Also been looking about for studded tyres in 700 * 32 just in case we have significant snow/ice again this year, without any luck so far. My front light appears to have died over the winer too so going to get a hope vision 1 next payday. I spent top dollar on water and windproofing myself last year but no mudguards meant I ended up washing them to death...by the end of last winter jacket and trousers were virtually ruined as far as waterproofing goes...oh well can't justify spending that again so they'll just have to do. brrrrr, soon be november
  • pst88
    pst88 Posts: 621
    Need to put a new bottom bracket and crank + chainring on my fixed gear bike and it should be good to go for winter. Probably stick a mud guard on the back too. Clothing-wise i'd like to get a pair of goretex boots but I don't know if finances will stretch that far.
    Bianchi Via Nirone Veloce/Centaur 2010
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    Agent57 wrote:
    My winter bike plan is probably to buy a Specialized Tricross, and stick a rack and full mudguards on it.

That is my all year round plan!! Versatile, fast and reliable.... that's the Tricross!
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • mattrsa
    mattrsa Posts: 143
    I'm just going to ride the same bike and wear more cloths. Simple as!
    Commuter - Trek 1.2
    Fun - Specialized Rockhopper
  • homercles
    homercles Posts: 499
    My winter commute is my year round commute, as seen in the Pompino pic in my signature. 48/16 fixed, quick enough to keep up with traffic, tough enough to carry a load of shopping, light enough to carry up the 3 flights of stairs to my flat!

Might move to 25mm (from 23mm) tyres for the next set though - the roads on my new commute are ina pretty terrible state and I fear for the wheels sometimes.
  • tomb353
    tomb353 Posts: 196
    lidl ski goggles, limited side visibility but made me look like darth vader on a bike.
    vendor of bicycle baskets & other stuff www.tynebicycle.co.uk
    www.tynebicycle.co.uk/blog
    Kinesis Tripster
    Gazelle NY Cab
    Surly Steamroller
    Cannondale F100
  • The Bowery will be being put back in to active service fo winter, while the Fuji will be retired.

I need to do some serious work on the Bowery before then, lucky winter's aaaaaages away, right? RIGHT?

:?
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    The Bowery will be being put back in to active service fo winter, while the Fuji will be retired.

I need to do some serious work on the Bowery before then, lucky winter's aaaaaages away, right? RIGHT?

:?

Nope. Is currently down the hill and round the corner in 1st gear :)
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    In case Such is not up and running (or is out of my price range) I'm investigating alternatives from the US. Anyone know what the import duty on bikes & bike bits is?
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • Tonymufc
    Tonymufc Posts: 1,016
    A couple of valuable lessons learned last winter.

1. Shorts and leg warmers just don't cut the mustard when it's minus 7.
    Roubaix fleece lined bibs on order.

2. Crap winter gloves from Aldi don't do what it says on the tin.
    Specialized Sub Zero's already been delivered and waiting for the cold stuff to arrive.

3. Slick tyres, snow and the works car park just don't mix.

BRING IT ON!