York City Cycling Races

13»

Comments

• freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    I was thinking maybe I should have went off with the scratch group, but they'd not take kindly to me sitting on the back.

Pokerface

I don't know, I just don't know.

It happened so fast.
  • nolf
    nolf Posts: 1,287
    Freehub, first let me say I hope you feel better soon mate. I was behind that crash and it looked like a nasty one, wanted to wish you well but you looked pretty dazed afterwards (amazed you didnt break anything!)

After talking to you about your bike earlier in the night, I'm gutted for you. That bike had a lot of effort go into it, so I'm really sorry to see it damaged.

I was far enough back that I had time to brake and dodge everyone).

From what I saw it was just an unfortunate crash in the middle of the bunch. Afterwards people were complaining that you were halfwheeling, but on that stretch of road where we had a tailwind the bunch was quite wide in the middle, in such a situation its easier to overlap wheels.

I hope this doesn't put you off, but learn from your mistakes. Accept responsibility, and think about how you should change your riding style to stay safe in the bunch. Think about what went wrong, and how you can prevent it in future.

Wishing you all the best and I hope we meet again soon,

Take care.

P.s that guys saddle exploding was hilarious- bright red thing flying backwards, and him just staring back at it with a "wtf" expression.

P.P.S. C u all on Sunday, I'll be the guy on the podium 8)

(they can't afford podium girls this year)
    "I hold it true, what'er befall;
    I feel it, when I sorrow most;
    'Tis better to have loved and lost;
    Than never to have loved at all."

Alfred Tennyson
  • freehub
    Half wheeling? That when my wheel is just overlapping?

I think that is what caused the crash then, but I was not intentionally half wheeling, it happened so quick.

I think my frame might be bent, I've posted loads of pics in workshop but no one has replied, if so.
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Thought I'd add my own 'condolences' for the bike and a good recovery for yourself.
    All goes to prove that I think you learn more from race participation inside 30 minutes about bike handling/riding than you do piddling about for months and months doing 'runs' and 'sportives'.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,146
    Will, bad luck on the crash. If you are still feeling sick get back to the hospital as it sounds like you've got concussion and it would be worth them just giving you another check over.
  • freehub
    I'm fine now, apart from being tired.

The next time I do a race I will be pretty nervous keeping a ft distance from the wheel in front.
  • PhilBixby
    PhilBixby Posts: 697
    Hi Folks, event organiser here, just bumping this back up as a reminder....

Weather forecast looks good for tomorrow so get yourselves into York for a good day out. Racing starts at 12:30 and runs through to the support race at 5:00 and Elites at 6:00. We have a (very!) full field in the support race and seventy-odd in the Elites including Ed Clancy, Chris Newton, Malcolm Elliott and a load more big names, plus some local talent. Please (i) buy a programme or two and (ii) stick around for Jour de Fete at the City Screen cinema at 8:00pm and (iii) say hello if you see me wandering round looking worried - I'm the one who's cut off all my hair to stop me pulling it out! There is secure bike parking next to the Minster, by the way.

Have fun people - let's see if we can make this an annual event.

As for the podium girls.... :roll:
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Hats off to Phil for organising this!

I watached most of the racing and took part in the 3rd/4th Cat support race. Unfortunately I was taken out by some numpties that managed to crash on one of the straight bits so only made it to lap 20 or so out of 30. Bike was completely unscathed, but I'm bruised and my back is hurting. The rain certainly made the circuit pretty interesting.

It was quite something watching the elites race on the wet circuit.
    More problems but still living....
  • freehub
    How are they numpties for crashing on a straight bit? Those cobbles were clearly slippy when it got wet and I seen people slipping even on the straights.
  • amaferanga
    Would you agree that its much easier not to crash if you're travelling in a straight line?

Anyway they're numpties because they ended my race.
  • freehub
    Course it's easier not to crash in a straight line, but it was slippy, I'm glad I never raced now, it was infested with crashes from what I seen in the 3/4 race and I'm not experienced enough for a circuit like that when it gets wet.

Did anyone crash behind you?
  • amaferanga
    I think there were a few crashes, but not that many. There wasn't anyone right behind me - I was at the back of the main bunch. I have to say though that I wasn't really enjoying the race much once the rain started and since I was always well off the front it was fecking hard work.
  • freehub
    I don't think anyone was enjoying it when the rain started, on the bend near the square everyone was unclipping expecting the worst, some people crash into the failings too.
  • amaferanga
    The Elites made it look easy though.
  • freehub
    Indeed, I could see the totally different line they were taking round the corner compared to most of the 3/4's, they did not have to lean much too. Obviously it was harder to do than it looked.