York City Cycling Races

freehub
freehub Posts: 4,257
edited July 2010 in Amateur race
So who's doin it? Anyone from here?

Going to be the biggest group I've raced in, have no idea how I will get to the front if I'm starting in the middle, or near the back!

Comments

• amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Think I'm doing it.

Have you won or scored points in anything yet?
    More problems but still living....
  • Thick Tester
    Thick Tester Posts: 380
    Brace yourself for this :

You are NOT riding this and therfore will not have to worry about moving up in the bunch.

You are not on the start sheet and there is NO entry on the line.

http://www.eastyorkshireclassic.co.uk/n ... iders.aspx
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    edited July 2010

You are NOT riding this and therfore will not have to worry about moving up in the bunch.

AFAIK that's a totally different event to the one Will is talking about, your link is totally irrelevant. But I guess Will should have the put date up in his post. Remember he needs plenty of time to ask silly questions, and get worried and worked up about the race. Posting on the same day of the race wouldn't give him much of chance for people to post. :wink:

I think Will is talking about the 25th July races run by his 2nd claim club.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • amaferanga

Muppet :lol:
  • Thick Tester
    Fair cop...
  • freehub
    THIS is the one I was on about:

http://www.cliftoncc.org/competition/cycling_city_races

http://new.britishcycling.org.uk/events ... City-Races

Since when is it called "Keith Jordan Memorial Support Race" :lol:

I got the start sheet this morning, all the Rapha team are doing the E1/2 race.
    amaferanga wrote:
    Think I'm doing it.

Have you won or scored points in anything yet?

Not yet, the time I was potentially en route to having a chance of getting any points I crashed, the time after that I started at the back and got lapped, a reason I don't want to be at the back this time!

I'm going to try and get some points this time, but with up to 100 riders, it's gonna be a tough one, probably tougher than Tameside crit, allthough I might do better if there is no mega tight corners like on that crit.
  • secretsqizz
    secretsqizz Posts: 424
    Fair cop...

Now , can you go and help him with his training.... :lol:
    My pen won't write on the screen
  • Thick Tester
    freehub wrote:
    I was potentially en route

Another way of saying ' I'was in the bunch until I "T boned" myself on the hairpin'

Ps nice edit reddragon!
  • redddraggon
    Ps nice edit reddragon!

After reading my reply again I thought my original post was too aggressive which wasn't my intention.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • amaferanga
    freehub wrote:
    Not yet, the time I was potentially en route to having a chance of getting any points I crashed, the time after that I started at the back and got lapped, a reason I don't want to be at the back this time!

I'm going to try and get some points this time, but with up to 100 riders, it's gonna be a tough one, probably tougher than Tameside crit, allthough I might do better if there is no mega tight corners like on that crit.

Not meaning to be critical here, but if you were good enough for some points in a race then surely you'd have been able to move up the group instead of being shelled out the back?

With 100 riders you'll need a bit of luck to get some points, which you never seem to have in races :o
  • freehub
    edited July 2010
    freehub wrote:

Another way of saying ' I'was in the bunch until I "T boned" myself on the hairpin'

Ps nice edit reddragon!

I love it how people get all snappy about people saying where they was.

I didn't finish no, I was in the top 10, think around 5-6th place, so I was potentially en route to earn some points, fact.

If you do not know what potentially means, I suggest before posting, go find the definition.
  • redddraggon
    freehub wrote:
    freehub wrote:

Ps nice edit reddragon!

I didn't finish no, I was in the top 10, think around 5-6th place, so I was potentially en route to earn some points, fact.

TO be fair we've been through this before and you were in a minority of 1. Everyone in the bunch were potentially en route to earn some points, your position at that point was no guarantee of anything.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • freehub
    freehub wrote:
    freehub wrote:

Ps nice edit reddragon!

TO be fair we've been through this before and you were in a minority of 1. Everyone in the bunch were potentially en route to earn some points, your position at that point was no guarantee of anything.

Well it was, as people who where not in the top ten, would not earn points, unless their positions change to be in the top 10.

It's a fact, I was potentially en route to earning some points, I did not, I crashed, I might not have even if I never crashed, but we won't know, because I don't have a time machine.

I don't see what is debatable about my comment, I said said I might not have, for all I know, I could have got blown out, but at the point it is fact, I was potentially en route.

Now if anyone else on these forums posted the statement, it would not have being criticised the way I my posts are, but because I am "willhub", people find the need to over criticise me, treat me like I'm stupid, when they have no idea themselves.

At least I was actually racing, I was actually in a race, that's better than those who did not race and attempt to criticise me.

At the end of the day, In my last race I was feeling good and strong, and was well position, and I felt that I had a decent sprint in me today, I reckon I would have got a decent placing that would have got me some points. Unfortunately I crashed out, and wasn't able to challenge in the sprint, but I feel my form bodes well for my next race.
  • Chip \'oyler
    Chip \'oyler Posts: 2,323
    freehub wrote:
    freehub wrote:
    freehub wrote:

Ps nice edit reddragon!

Well it was, as people who where not in the top ten, would not earn points, unless their positions change to be in the top 10.

It's a fact, I was potentially en route to earning some points, I did not, I crashed, I might not have even if I never crashed, but we won't know, because I don't have a time machine.

I don't see what is debatable about my comment, I said said I might not have, for all I know, I could have got blown out, but at the point it is fact, I was potentially en route.

Now if anyone else on these forums posted the statement, it would not have being criticised the way I my posts are, but because I am "willhub", people find the need to over criticise me, treat me like I'm stupid, when they have no idea themselves.

At least I was actually racing, I was actually in a race, that's better than those who did not race and attempt to criticise me.

At the end of the day, In my last race I was feeling good and strong, and was well position, and I felt that I had a decent sprint in me today, I reckon I would have got a decent placing that would have got me some points. Unfortunately I crashed out, and wasn't able to challenge in the sprint, but I feel my form bodes well for my next race.

Keep your hair on. The point people are making is that positions in races change by the second - you might have been in the top ten when you crashed - but would you have been at the end?

Your statement could only hold true if you were in a break of a maximum 10 riders, you crashed out but the break stayed away to the end. And even then there is the possibility that you could have blown and been dropped by the break.
    Expertly coached by http://www.vitessecyclecoaching.co.uk/

http://vineristi.wordpress.com - the blog for Viner owners and lovers!
  • sheffsimon
    sheffsimon Posts: 1,282
    Leave 'im alone you miserable old fookers. :wink:

Anyway, is there a map of the york circuit anywhere? Ages since I raced in a crit, might fancy it.
  • sheffsimon
    sheffsimon Posts: 1,282
    Doesnt matter, found it myself.

Try to respond a bit quicker next time.
  • Thick Tester
    freehub wrote:

Yup i agree without riders like you, organisers and officials like me would not get such good value for all the time and effort we put into the sport.
  • amaferanga
    SheffSimon wrote:

There were about 60 entrants on the 6th July when I emailed the organiser so you might still get in.
  • freehub
    SheffSimon wrote:

That link is all the way up at the top.........

There is just over 80 people on the start sheet for Cat 3/4 atm.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,583
    If you are capable of it I would say you want to stay in the top 10 throughout the race in any crit and especially one with a large field as it is far too easy to end up the wrong side of a split and very difficult to get back across once there's a gap. Of course, everyone else is trying to do the same so it's easier said than done and that's why the pace is so high in that type of racing.

* This advice is from a useless crit rider who has never been able to follow the advice himself! :wink:
  • freehub
    I feel I'd do better on none crit races, but are all races not crits? Seems most races you're doing laps of circuits.
  • Limburger
    Limburger Posts: 346
    Holy moley, most of the thing is on cobblestones. Give it a miss if its wet, they get mighty slippery.
    God made the Earth. The Dutch made The Netherlands

FCN 11/12 - Ocasional beardy
  • freehub
    Only one very small section has proper cobbles.
  • tomb8555
    tomb8555 Posts: 229
    freehub wrote:
    I feel I'd do better on none crit races, but are all races not crits? Seems most races you're doing laps of circuits.

The majority of 4th cat races are on circuits as they're safer. Pick up some points and you'll probably find there's more road races for you to enter (although I don't know what the calendar's like oop north. There's loads of RR's around here)
  • Limburger
    Limburger Posts: 346
    freehub wrote:
    Only one very small section has proper cobbles.

They aren't the ones to worry about, its the modern slabs that are like polished marble in the wet that'll do you.

I remember seeing many a drunk Yorkshireman slip and demolish themselves on a Saturday night. God knows how it would be at 50 kph on 23Cs
    God made the Earth. The Dutch made The Netherlands

FCN 11/12 - Ocasional beardy
  • freehub
    Hopefully someone will be watching down and make it a dry weekend.
  • freehub
    Apparently a pro rider called Cameron Meyer might be riding this event now.
  • tomb8555
    tomb8555 Posts: 229
    freehub wrote:
    Apparently a pro rider called Cameron Meyer might be riding this event now.

Well, I don't imagine he'll be in the support race with you :wink:

Would be pretty cool to see him race though. His points race victory at the worlds was awesome.
  • freehub
    I know he'll be in E1/2 :P

On the day, whatever group I am in (as it will obviously split), I hope to be the top one out of the group at the end, or eventually jump from group to group.
  • Chip \'oyler
    Chip \'oyler Posts: 2,323
    freehub wrote:
    I know he'll be in E1/2 :P

On the day, whatever group I am in (as it will obviously split), I hope to be the top one out of the group at the end, or eventually jump from group to group.

Why don't you set off on the front line on the grid, get to the first corner in 1st place then climb off, safe in the knowledge that you would have won.
    Expertly coached by http://www.vitessecyclecoaching.co.uk/

http://vineristi.wordpress.com - the blog for Viner owners and lovers!