Comments

• freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    No I'll let you do that.
  • tomb8555
    tomb8555 Posts: 229
    freehub wrote:
    I know he'll be in E1/2 :P

On the day, whatever group I am in (as it will obviously split), I hope to be the top one out of the group at the end, or eventually jump from group to group.

Ok you probably know this but just incase:

The E12 and 34 races will be run as separate races, with separate finish lines and points, and they'll set of separately. If the E12 catch you or if their race blows apart then you can't join in with any of them. You have to stay separate or you'll be DQ.

Unless you mean you expect the 3/4 race to splinter, in which case I suggest you keep youself near the front and make sure you stay in the front group. Closing gaps is no fun! ;-)
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    freehub wrote:

On the day, whatever group I am in (as it will obviously split), I hope to be the top one out of the group at the end, or eventually jump from group to group.

I hope I win. Doesn't mean I will, but that's what I hope for every time I race. Doesn't everybody?
    More problems but still living....
  • sheffsimon
    sheffsimon Posts: 1,282
    tomb8555 wrote:
    freehub wrote:

The E12 and 34 races will be run as separate races, with separate finish lines and points, and they'll set of separately. If the E12 catch you or if their race blows apart then you can't join in with any of them. You have to stay separate or you'll be DQ.

Unless you mean you expect the 3/4 race to splinter, in which case I suggest you keep youself near the front and make sure you stay in the front group. Closing gaps is no fun! ;-)

The 3/4 race is on at 5pm for 50 mins, the E/1/2 at 6pm, so if any them catch you tell them to go and warm up somewhere else.
  • freehub
    amaferanga wrote:
    freehub wrote:

I hope I win. Doesn't mean I will, but that's what I hope for every time I race. Doesn't everybody?

No if I was racing you I'd hope I beat you and I win. I think everyone would hope they beat you and wind though and have the same thought 100 times.
  • amaferanga
    freehub wrote:
    amaferanga wrote:
    freehub wrote:

No if I was racing you I'd hope I beat you and I win. I think everyone would hope they beat you and wind though and have the same thought 100 times.

I didn't realise I was such a hate figure :? :o
  • Chip \'oyler
    Chip \'oyler Posts: 2,323
    freehub wrote:
    No I'll let you do that.

You could but that means I would have won and you would have come second
    Expertly coached by http://www.vitessecyclecoaching.co.uk/

http://vineristi.wordpress.com - the blog for Viner owners and lovers!
  • sheffsimon
    freehub wrote:
    amaferanga wrote:
    freehub wrote:

WTF does this mean??
  • tomb8555
    SheffSimon wrote:

The 3/4 race is on at 5pm for 50 mins, the E/1/2 at 6pm, so if any them catch you tell them to go and warm up somewhere else.

Nope I didn't know that!

I assumed by him saying he was going to try to go from group to group that's what he meant. Guess not.
  • sheffsimon
    tomb8555 wrote:
    SheffSimon wrote:

Nope I didn't know that!

I assumed by him saying he was going to try to go from group to group that's what he meant. Guess not.

Hey, no problem, happy to help :)
  • freehub
    Tonight am doing a race, a TLi, it's a 5 mile circuit, dunno if that's classed as a crit? Should be good training, torrential downpours predicted.
  • sheffsimon
    freehub wrote:
    Tonight am doing a race, a TLi, it's a 5 mile circuit, dunno if that's classed as a crit? Should be good training, torrential downpours predicted.

Nope, crit racing tends to be short, maybe 1 mile, circuits, corners coming all the time which means lots of sprinting which is what makes them hard especially if you arent at the front.

Should be nice at Selby tonight :)
  • freehub
    Well I'm pulling out of this race.

I think I am not capable of doing one of those races any more.

I crashed at like 26mph today, was my fault.

Helmet wrote off, totally cracked
    Right side pedal wrote off
    right cleat snapped
    dented frame (middle of the top tube)
    bent bars
    destroyed bar tape
    torn hoods
    mangled right shifter
    damaged rear mech
    badly buckled rear wheel

Had to go to hospital, banged my head pretty bad and shoulder area, mostly just grazing, shoulder hurts quite bad and probs will all bruise down my left side by tomoz. Don't want to race any more this year though, just concentrate on getting fitness up, maybe do some TT's and hill climbs.
  • amaferanga
    What happened?
  • sheffsimon
    freehub wrote:
    Well I'm pulling out of this race.

I think I am not capable of doing one of those races any more.

I crashed at like 26mph today, was my fault.

Helmet wrote off, totally cracked
    Right side pedal wrote off
    right cleat snapped
    dented frame (middle of the top tube)
    bent bars
    destroyed bar tape
    torn hoods
    mangled right shifter
    damaged rear mech
    badly buckled rear wheel

Had to go to hospital, banged my head pretty bad and shoulder area, mostly just grazing, shoulder hurts quite bad and probs will all bruise down my left side by tomoz. Don't want to race any more this year though, just concentrate on getting fitness up, maybe do some TT's and hill climbs.

Thats some crash Will - hard not to let it dent your confidence for a bit, but dont let it stop you racing long term. We've all crashed racing and training (well I have anyway, as have other correspondents on this thread - I was just behind him at the time!).
  • freehub
    I bet you did not cause the crashes though, I've crashed twice, took 2 people out the first time, took about 4 this time. Both times it was MY fault.

On the race I was abit confused (when I was in the race), they were going up a short drag, slowing down, so I used this opportunity to get to the front, I find a space, I go and get in it, then this Clifton CC guy goes, "hey, that's my wheel", then grabs hold of my jersey pocket??? Surely I was OK to go ahead in front? I was not racing for his team and did not see the problem. I did not want to sit behind him and then end up getting dropped by the front, and that is what would have happened.

As to what happened when I crashed, we was on the straight, speed went up to about 26mph, I was off the saddle, quickly looked down, then up, next thing I know, they must have braked, cause my wheel was about 6" overlapping his back wheel, I think because of the acceleration, his bike was moving allot side to side as yer do, I clipped his wheel, went straight over my onto my right side. After that, I had bikes piling into my back. Totally my fault for not keeping an eye on the wheels.

God knows why anyone braked though on a straight, we should have being gunning it to 30mph.
  • sheffsimon
    freehub wrote:
    I bet you did not cause the crashes though, I've crashed twice, took 2 people out the first time, took about 4 this time. Both times it was MY fault.

On the race I was abit confused (when I was in the race), they were going up a short drag, slowing down, so I used this opportunity to get to the front, I find a space, I go and get in it, then this Clifton CC guy goes, "hey, that's my wheel", then grabs hold of my jersey pocket??? Surely I was OK to go ahead in front? I was not racing for his team and did not see the problem. I did not want to sit behind him and then end up getting dropped by the front, and that is what would have happened.

As to what happened when I crashed, we was on the straight, speed went up to about 26mph, I was off the saddle, quickly looked down, then up, next thing I know, they must have braked, cause my wheel was about 6" overlapping his back wheel, I think because of the acceleration, his bike was moving allot side to side as yer do, I clipped his wheel, went straight over my onto my right side. After that, I had bikes piling into my back. Totally my fault for not keeping an eye on the wheels.

God knows why anyone braked though on a straight, we should have being gunning it to 30mph.

If there was a gap in the line of riders big enough for you, then you have every right to jump in the gap. I wouldnt take very kindly to someone telling me its their wheel.

Your crash sounds like a typical racing crash mate, just one of those things, wheels overlap in races and either you moved into him or he moved into you, who knows, shit happens.
  • tomb8555
    What he said ^^

It's not his wheel if he can't defend it.
  • Thick Tester
    Thick Tester Posts: 380
    freehub wrote:

, quickly looked down, then up, Totally my fault for not keeping an eye on the wheels.

Fix your bike and get back out there - As painful as it is you've just learned one of the hardest yet most valuable lessons.

Keep an eye on whats going on ahead of not just the rider in front, but those ahead of him at all times.

With regard to the thats my wheel comment - where you going for a gap thats simply was not there ?
  • Chip \'oyler
    tomb8555 wrote:
    What he said ^^

From what I hear Freehub tried jumping into the lines that were going through and off, so in effect it was the Clifton riders wheel. All Freehub had to do to join the lines and contribute to the work was ask or tap the rider to get into the lines. Looks like lack of experience on Freehub's part. But if he keeps at it he'll learn.

• sheffsimon
    tomb8555 wrote:
    What he said ^^

From what I hear Freehub tried jumping into the lines that were going through and off, so in effect it was the Clifton riders wheel. All Freehub had to do to join the lines and contribute to the work was ask or tap the rider to get into the lines. Looks like lack of experience on Freehub's part. But if he keeps at it he'll learn.

if thats the case, then yeah, different story, join the tail end of the line going forward or keep out of the way at the back.
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    Speedy recovery dude. Chalk it up to experience.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • amaferanga
    That sounds pretty nasty Will, but at least its just cuts and bruises. FWIW I was 99.9% (the 0.1% was down to the farmer that spread the crap on the road) responsible for my crash recently - it was just lucky that there was no-one right behind me otherwise I'd have taken them down with me. I came out of it with lots of road rash and a crack in the top tube of my carbon frame (which turned out to be only superficial).

Just one of those things if you race - don't throw the towel in. Suck it up and learn from it. If you don't feel stupid sometimes then you're not learning anything....
  • andy162
    andy162 Posts: 634
    Bad luck fella...

Does sound like a lack of experience & not adhering to race etiquette. It's done now so let things heal & get the bike fixed. I wouldn't give up just yet. You seem to have plenty of ambition & the legs for it too. 26mph is plenty fast enough to do some real damage to yourself so I reckon you've come out of it reasonably ok. Shame that yr frame has been clobbered tho'.

Slightly buggers up Saturdays plans :wink:
  • freehub
    edited July 2010
    tomb8555 wrote:
    What he said ^^

Hi, this was not the cause of a crash at all. The crash was at a different time.

I wanted to get to the front, I know sitting on the back is bad and does not help trying to do good. I was happy with the effort and was not complaining about going on the front with through and off.

The problem was, I thought this was a race? And not a training session. It was my first "road" race, and all I thought was, I can overtake here as it was slowing down on this drag, I found a space that I could get in.

I was not expecting you had to be kind in a race, saying, please can I go in here, I reckon a fair few would just ignore me.

This is how I seen it, the thought and off was just like a training session, it was far easier than a normal chaingang even! I could see people in the distance too.

I'm actually feeling pretty ill at the moment, don't know why, but standing up makes me sick, and sitting at the PC also makes me feel sick, all I'm ok doing is watching the tele from a distance. Can't hardly move my shoulder or neck.

If I was totally wrong about the "through and off", then fine, but I honestly thought I needed to try do something to move up and keep near the front, I'd be no good forming a break on my own I don't have the power, but I could stay near the front and take turns.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    freehub wrote:
    This is how I seen it, the thought and off was just like a training session, it was far easier than a normal chaingang even! I could see people in the distance too.

You should have attacked and attacked and.......
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • If it's any help, try and stay seated and keep your eyes on the wheels infront of you. Nothing worse than someone in the middle of the bunch bouncing in and out the saddle when they don't need to.
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • freehub
    Well I didn't realise that was bad practice but I'll keep it in mind. when the pace was going slow (about 23mph) I was pedalling out of the saddle in the group.

One guy had to finish the race with no seat (it fell off :lol: ), I'd not be able to manage that my quads would be in so much pain.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Why were you looking down just prior to the crash?

(I've experienced similar things where I've gotten out of the saddle to sprint, only to have the bunch slow right down in front of me and had to hit the brakes. But I wasn't looking down...)
  • Chip \'oyler
    freehub wrote:
    tomb8555 wrote:
    What he said ^^

Hi, this was not the cause of a crash at all. The crash was at a different time.

I wanted to get to the front, I know sitting on the back is bad and does not help trying to do good. I was happy with the effort and was not complaining about going on the front with through and off.

The problem was, I thought this was a race? And not a training session. It was my first "road" race, and all I thought was, I can overtake here as it was slowing down on this drag, I found a space that I could get in.

I was not expecting you had to be kind in a race, saying, please can I go in here, I reckon a fair few would just ignore me.

I'm actually feeling pretty ill at the moment, don't know why, but standing up makes me sick, and sitting at the PC also makes me feel sick, all I'm ok doing is watching the tele from a distance. Can't hardly move my shoulder or neck.

If I was totally wrong about the "through and off", then fine, but I honestly thought I needed to try do something to move up and keep near the front, I'd be no good forming a break on my own I don't have the power, but I could stay near the front and take turns.

Because it was a TLI race the guys would be sharing the work and going through and off to catch the group in front. And if they were doing it smoothly then it would feel easier. Just because they're not attacking doesn't mean they're not racing.

If you have the fitness then it would be good experience to set off with the 1st cat's group. Just sit on the back and observe how they ride, position themselves and work together etc. You'd learn a lot