Ryedale Rumble 8th Aug.

bobh
bobh Posts: 163
At our planning meeting last night we decided to still run with the event as the entry levels are nearly to the point where it would cost as much to cancel as it would do to continue.

The next milestone has to be the point where we actually break even, if we can achieve that then carrying on the event in 2011 is on the agenda. For that we need another 90 entries by the 1st August deadline.

Over to you guys.

Bob Howden
Organiser
Ryedale Rumble

Comments

• bobh
  • hugo15
    hugo15 Posts: 1,101
    That's great news that it is going ahead.
  • bobh
    If we can carry on at the current rate of entries we might get near to breaking even.
  • pollys_bott
    pollys_bott Posts: 1,012
    Bro-in-law and I signed up today - looking forward to it :D
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,570
    i can't believe theres such a msall number of entries for this event. ill sign up injury permitting even though ot'll mean me driving there on my own from hull
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • adibowers
    adibowers Posts: 4
    I'm In and just about talked my mate in to signing up too !!!!! :D
    This was one of 5 sportives that I did last year and definately the best in terms of organisation. Great route and the sun shone too which is always a bonus, lets hope for more of the same this year.
    Surprised that the numbers are so low for such a great event. :?
    Bob, why is the event not listed on the cyclosport.org web site :?: . all the lads I know that ride sportives use that web site as a point of reference for events.
  • bobh
    Adrian

It is listed on cyclosport.org and was one of teir top ten ranked events last year. We had a late start with the online entries this year but beyond that it's a mystery. Personally I feel it's a better route than the one we had for the White Rose Classic when we ran it out of Otley and that could run up 1000 entries with no problem. It's maybe a Dales versus North York Moors thing with the NYM being a little bit further from the smoke. But for that you get what I feel are better roads for an event.
  • fraz167
    fraz167 Posts: 142
    My brother signed up this week, he is coming down from Aberdeen.
  • bobh
    Entries will be closing on Sunday the 1st August for the Rumble so if you were "thinking about it" nows the time "go for it"

www.ryedalerumble.co.uk
  • adibowers
    How many have you got now Bob ?
    I hope you've past the break even mark.
  • bobh
    Hi Adrian

295 at the moment ..break even is 325....fingers crossed!

Just finished bagging the jelly babies
  • Steve GT
    Steve GT Posts: 383
    Bob,
    Holding your event on the same day as the 'Phil and Friends' (Phil Liggett CTC Challenge) must have thinned out the number of people quite a bit. 2 major rides on the one day in the North. Which is a pity as I would have liked to do both rides. I entered your ride as I read about it first.
    BTW, do you have the long route on a GPX file that we can download?
    Crediamo in te, bici!
    My Bikes.
  • bigcod
    bigcod Posts: 26
    bobh wrote:
    Hi Adrian

295 at the moment ..break even is 325....fingers crossed!

Just finished bagging the jelly babies

1 more , i've just signed a mate up.

:D

Maybe the low number have something to do with people booking there rides at the start of the year. I do and I noticed it took a while before entries to the rumble were open compared to the other rides.

or maybe because it rock hard :D
  • steve36
    steve36 Posts: 93
    i've just signed up :) hope weather stays fine.
  • Stedman
    Stedman Posts: 377
    Bob,

I wish to enter this event again next year, if it does not go head to head with the CTC Phil Liggett event as has happened this year.

Could you and Phil get your heads together to ensure that this does not happen again!
  • bobh
    We would keep the same weekend which would see it being the 7th August. Over to you Phil!
  • tc01947
    tc01947 Posts: 2
    Hi
    just been out today and they have resurfaced the decent from caper hill into egton bridge and there is lots of loose gravel about :shock: . Also the road over the moors from egton bridge to stape has also been done again lots of loose gravel .

Hopefully they get a road sweeper out.

Tom
  • freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    I'll be entering tonight if that is ok and still in time since the closing date is tomoz.

Thanks.
  • adibowers
    BTW, do you have the long route on a GPX file that we can download?

http://www.mapmyride.com/route/gb/north ... 0959351027

this is last years route from my Garmin ride history you should be able to down load and save this as a GPX.

I believe the route is the same again this year but the start/finish point has moved and is now at Ampleforth College which is just past the 3 mile marker from last year.
  • Steve GT
    Many thanks Adi !
    Crediamo in te, bici!
    My Bikes.
  • Steve GT
    A big thank you to Bob and all involved in orgainising a really great day out in the North Yorks Moors. The route was very well signposted and the feedstops well stocked.
    The only little gripe I have was that the route took us down the lane that crosses the first ford just after the Boltby Bank climb. In my estimation the lane was too steep and dangerous for the condition the lane was in - being very overgrown and loads of surface gravel on the 2 strips of tarmac available.
    Crediamo in te, bici!
    My Bikes.
  • freehub
    Does anyone know where the pictures will be put up?
  • Buckled_Rims
    Buckled_Rims Posts: 1,648
    Another big thanks Bob I really enjoyed it. Well sign posted on a complicated circuit is a massive help :lol: First time I've been to Ampleforth and what a magnificent place.

Feed stations were excellently stocked, it was just like a little shop :shock:

Any chance you can bull doze Boltby Bank a bit flatter, I know it's a bit much, but I'd really appreciate it :wink:

The downhill and ford Steve GT mentions was very dangerous. A girl slipped in the ford and hurt herself just as I arrived, she was soaked and looked shaken. Was it meant to be ridden through or walked on the grass?

I'm still a bit annoyed I missed out on a gold award by 13 minutes especially as I wasn't too tired and wasted a bit of time at those excellent feed stations. Arh, well you live and learn.

Thanks to everyone who ran the event :D
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • pollys_bott
    pollys_bott Posts: 1,012
    edited August 2010
    freehub wrote:
    Does anyone know where the pictures will be put up?

Here's one of the places, I can't remember the name of the other photographer.

http://www.cyclingimages.co.uk/portfolio109629.html

Edit: photos from Boltby here...

http://www.cyclesportphotos.com/section ... 57371.html
  • steve36
    steve36 Posts: 93
    big thanks to bob and all involved,fantastic event,cant wait for next year.
    thanks again very well organised.
    p.s. the cake at the hutton food stop was first class :D
  • What a day, 71 miles of pure brutality, which maniac/masochist thought this route up. the first 45 miles or so up to the top of Blakey bank were just hill after hill, the killer for me was the last 5 miles before the first feed station at Helmsley, seemed to be flying into Helmsley and then saw the direction marker which swept us past Rievaulx Abbey into another 17% climb which compared to the other climbs could be described as short but still seemed to take forever to get up. A few miles away from Helmsley on fairly flat roads but still with the odd leg cruncher here and there until reaching Blakey Bank and having to walk up that monster watching in awe as almost everyone else managed to find the energy and power to get to the top. that was the switching point between ride one and ride two, anyone fit enough to turn left at that point needs a dope test, either chemical or mental.

Turning right along the ridge took us on the fastest part of route 2 down into Hutton le Hole and into the second feed stop, after filling up there the last 25 miles or so took us back to the start point, the magnificent grounds of Ampleforth but just to remind us that there are no flat spots around the North Yorkshire area, a nice little couple of climbs to the final timing point, thanks for that.

Brilliant scenery from start to finish, some fantastic small hidden hamlets dotted around the course and of course, the organisation was second to none, from parking, to signing in, breakfast if required, direction markers clear and concise, feed stops were exceptional with everything you would want or need and then a welcome pasta meal when finishing.

My 5 hour target was far too optimistic, although an extended stop at Helmsely added about twenty extra minutes to my eventual time, a big thanks to the guy from York on the yellow Giant who I hooked up with between the two feed stations, with a bit of banter and help from each other we managed to finally get round but didn’t break any records, congratulations to everyone who did the long route after suffering those two brutal climbs at Boltby and Blakey as well as all the other “insignificant” climbs in between, I can’t imagine how they must have felt knowing that chimney bank was their reward, a climbers course it certainly is, not suited to fatties on a Focus Cayo.

All in all, a great sportive that deserves to go from strength to strength.
    Hills, love them, especially the ones that point downwards.
  • hugo15
    hugo15 Posts: 1,101
    I did the middle route yesterday and it was a tough day. Managed to get round for a silver time and make it up both Boltby and Blakey.

A big thank you to Bob and his team of helpers. The event was very well organised, with the best feedstops I've ever experienced and very good signage. Food at teh end was good too.

Overall the route was great, although I agree with the comments above about the descent after Boltby and the climb after the ford. Also the bit along the A170 wasn't overly pleasant and I feel it would be an improvement to amend the route slightly to go south of the A170 through Harome and Wombleton and then cross back over to go up Farndale (though I recognise that this will mean more signage and risk assessments than the current route).
  • freehub
    The bit along the A170 was nice and fast, if they altered the route the mileage would go up even further.
  • bobh
    Thanks for the comments guys.

We've had a few problems with the state of the roads this year. The descent to the ford at Murton Grange has been with the event on every edition. We risk assessed it two weeks ago as per normal and there was no water in there. I remember thinking "are we a bit over the top" in placing Deep Water and Loose Gravel signs? We then had some flash rainfall that seems to have activated the algae on the bed, so that although it wasn't deep it was slippery. There is an alternative routing with a right turn at the top of Boltby, but it's a straight Roman road that's not so interesting. Or if we go straight on to Hawnby there's another savage climb but then a turn out onto the Chop Gate Road that we feel is too dangerous. So we'll ponder on that one for the next twelve months.

Glad you like Ampleforth Abbey and College, it's also our HQ for the Ryedale Grand Prix Premier Calendar Race and it works well for us.

I'll pass the comments about the cakes onto the Missus, before I tell her that we need more riders next year!

We are waiting for our webmaster to upload the links to results and photos but here they are below if you want them immediately:

http://www.sportident.co.uk/results/2010/ryedalerumble/
    http://www.cyclingimages.co.uk
    http://cyclesportphotos.com
  • Stedman
    Stedman Posts: 377
    Bob,

I had also had an excellent ride yesterday in the Peak District on the Phil Liggett event, unfortunately the biggest thing which spoilt the day was that your event was organised on the same day.

As the numbers were clearly down on both events because of this clash, could British Cycling and CTC please start talking to each other so we don’t have this awful dichotomy again next year! :evil: