Renshaw out? Damn!

warrior4life
warrior4life Posts: 925
edited July 2010 in Pro race
Where does this leave cav?
Sprints surely must become a little more interesting... cant wait for the final into paris!

Comments

• redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    A damn shame, but Cav has enough ability to get by. He'll just need to be more aware.

Cav used to look after himself and still won loads, and there's always Bernard Eisel who'll probably step up to Cav's last man.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • brakelever
    brakelever Posts: 158
    did renshaw really deserve a sending home ? could leave cav up poo creek !
  • donrhummy
    donrhummy Posts: 2,329
    Yes, he did deserve to be kicked out. Forget that it possibly cost Farrar the win, he endangered their lives. They're not only traveling at very high speeds over concrete, but there's a ton of bikes behind, and around them and they're liable to be run over and caught in the spokes of a wheel if they go down. What he did was DANGEROUS and a risk of others' well -being.

Also, watch the replay and he doesn't just headbutt Dean, he also runs Farrar into the barriers just as Farrar is about to latch on to Cav.
  • A fine? Yes. A Stage dsq? yes. Kicked out of tour? No.

Dean gets away with coming across. Renshaws big error was cutting off Farrar afterwards. Farrar was never going to win. Heat of the moment i guess.

Over-reaction by commissaries and they shouldn't have done it. But it is done.

I suspect this has more to do with breaking up HTC's monopoly on sprint finishes. Wouldn't have happened in the Giro.

Do it for Mark, Mark!
    Ca roule ma poule?
  • donrhummy
    donrhummy Posts: 2,329
    A fine? Yes. A Stage dsq? yes. Kicked out of tour? No.

Dean gets away with coming across. Renshaws big error was cutting off Farrar afterwards. Farrar was never going to win. Heat of the moment i guess.

Over-reaction by commissaries and they shouldn't have done it. But it is done.

I suspect this has more to do with breaking up HTC's monopoly on sprint finishes. Wouldn't have happened in the Giro.

Do it for Mark, Mark!

What do you mean by that? Watch the video from overhead and Dean rides a perfectly straight line up till being headbutted. NEVER wavers from that line.
  • Err. No. I saw it live and on highlights.

Watch the nice straight white line on the road: Dean comes across and leans onto Renshaw. Its a shoulder charge. Renshaw reacts. Its not correct and deserves a fine + Stage dsq. Not sending him home.
    Ca roule ma poule?
  • bobbymeister
    bobbymeister Posts: 186
    I would suggest you need to watch the video again. Dean leans into Renshaw and sticks his elbow out.
    I seem to remember mssrs McEwen and O'Grady crossing the line with their heads locked together a few years ago without suffering a similar fate.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Err. No. I saw it live and on highlights.

Watch the nice straight white line on the road: Dean comes across and leans onto Renshaw. Its a shoulder charge. Renshaw reacts. Its not correct and deserves a fine + Stage dsq. Not sending him home.

That's what I saw too.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Also, neigher rider looks like going down. Its not a dangerous as it looks.

Cutting off Farrar is much worse offence.
    Ca roule ma poule?
  • That's what helmets where invented for!!
  • stokepa31
    stokepa31 Posts: 560
    I think its harsh to be a full dq. I guess the head banging stems from the fact that you cant raise your hands from the bars or you get dq'd. go figure. I do however believe that the big no no was blocking Farrar's line. very unsporting and clearly deliberate

He should have waited till the end then tw*ted him with a wheel as thats allowed
    Burning Fat Not Rubber

Scott CR1
    Genesis IO ID
    Moda Canon
  • warrior4life
    warrior4life Posts: 925
    It was a great sprint, i think farrar would have been a closer 2nd.. Dean did move across and the headbutts where retaliation.

I doubt even Farrar or Dean would want renshaw sent home... seems a little severe, maybe a warning that they need to sprint cleaner as there has been a few crashes recently..

I still believe can get some more stages
  • ynyswen24
    ynyswen24 Posts: 703
    Dean did move left but the continual headbutting by Renshaw was an overreaction. The clincher was the block on Farrar, Renshaw looks behind so must have seen Farrar coming up and seemed to deliberately ride him into the barriers. Not just aggressive but pretty clearly endangers the riders behind. Automatic red card. HTC can't really complain but Dean probably needs to be unplaced as well.
  • Ironic really as nobody was going to challenge Cav, but if Farrar had got through it might've taken some points out of Petacchi.
  • ynyswen24
    ynyswen24 Posts: 703
    Ironic really as nobody was going to challenge Cav, but if Farrar had got through it might've taken some points out of Petacchi.

True, it just looks like Renshaw has some kind of conniption fit.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    donrhummy wrote:
    Yes, he did deserve to be kicked out. Forget that it possibly cost Farrar the win, he endangered their lives.

When was the last time someone died in a crash in the final sprint? I've seen some pretty bad crashes, but can't recall anyone being killed.
  • shakey88
    shakey88 Posts: 289
    donrhummy wrote:
    Yes, he did deserve to be kicked out. Forget that it possibly cost Farrar the win, he endangered their lives. They're not only traveling at very high speeds over concrete, but there's a ton of bikes behind, and around them and they're liable to be run over and caught in the spokes of a wheel if they go down. What he did was DANGEROUS and a risk of others' well -being.

Also, watch the replay and he doesn't just headbutt Dean, he also runs Farrar into the barriers just as Farrar is about to latch on to Cav.

:roll: the words "drama queen" spring to mind :wink:
  • it would be more of an issue if farrar was a genuine contender - the boys always in the wrong place at the wrong time in my opinion
  • domhopson
    domhopson Posts: 259
    it would be more of an issue if farrar was a genuine contender - the boys always in the wrong place at the wrong time in my opinion

Agreed. Didn't Cav say the other year something along the lines of Farrar not even being a sprinter? I think he'll be waiting a while to win a TDF stage with Petacchi and Cav still in the running.
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    Undoubtable winners on stage 11 is Garbage (Garmin) and I thought they said they are clean.
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • rockmount
    rockmount Posts: 761
    it would be more of an issue if farrar was a genuine contender - the boys always in the wrong place at the wrong time in my opinion
    He can see feck all out of those stupid glasses he's always bangin' on about !
    .. who said that, internet forum people ?
  • domhopson
    domhopson Posts: 259
    Should have gone to specsavers, not transitions :)
  • Richj
    Richj Posts: 240
    Looked to me like HTC got the lead out wrong, Renshaw hit the front a bit early and tried to hold back giving Dean the chance to pull alongside. Once Dean got himself ahead it opened up the chance for him to squeeze out Renshaw. The second move on Farrar was bad. That said both were racing incidents and at worst he should have been dq'd from the stage result but never kicked out.
  • paulcuthbert
    paulcuthbert Posts: 1,016
    I think Dean definitely moved off his line, so the defence of his line by Renshaw was acceptable.

Moving in front of Farrar was unacceptable, but I don't think it merited Renshaw getting sent home.

A bit of a harsh punishment - surely disqualified from the stage results and a fine would have been enough?

BTW, does anyone else get the impression that the race referees don't like HTC Columbia? Cavendish disqualified wrongly last year, and then a pretty hefty punishment for Renshaw this year...
  • andyrac
    andyrac Posts: 1,174
    I think Dean definitely moved off his line, so the defence of his line by Renshaw was acceptable.

Moving in front of Farrar was unacceptable, but I don't think it merited Renshaw getting sent home.

A bit of a harsh punishment - surely disqualified from the stage results and a fine would have been enough?

BTW, does anyone else get the impression that the race referees don't like HTC Columbia? Cavendish disqualified wrongly last year, and then a pretty hefty punishment for Renshaw this year...

Must admit that was my immediate impression, if Renshaw was at another team would he have just been dsq'd?

Anybody use the Transitions, my brother sat and broke my sunglasses, need a new pair....
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
    I don't think he should have been kicked off the tour, just placed last on the stage.

Cav would still have won the stage IMHO.

Dean was moving over to his left and Renshaw refused to yield, Farrar had his line slightly impeded but not enough to have made any difference. It didn't stop Pettachi getting into second place directly in Farrars line.

On second thoughts, no action should have been taken against Renshaw. I'm posting this whilst watching the highlights of the stage finish.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • luckao
    luckao Posts: 632
    donrhummy wrote:
    he endangered their lives.

:lol:
  • What Renshaw did to Farrar was dangerous and extremely unsportsmanlike. It's totally irrelevant that Tyler most likely would not have beaten Cav anyway. Such moves simply cannot be accepted and the only punishment with some bite is tossing Mark out of the race. Does anyone really think that Renshaw would give a flying f**k about a fine or stage DQ? :roll:
  • Does anyone really think that Renshaw would give a flying f**k about a fine or stage DQ? :roll:

+1

Renshaw has nothing to lose. I'm sure if Cav was the guilty party he would only have been DQd from the stage as the loss of a win and Green Jersey points would have been sufficient punishment.

It's sort of like the Uraguayan player that "saved" the goal with his hands. He got sent off but since Ghana missed the penalty do you think he really cared that he was sent off? he took one for the team, and that is what Renshaw did and he probably thought it would just be a stage DQ.
    No-one wanted to eat Patagonia Toothfish so they renamed it Chilean Sea Bass and now it's in danger of over fishing!
  • luckao
    luckao Posts: 632
    What Renshaw did to Farrar was dangerous and extremely unsportsmanlike. It's totally irrelevant that Tyler most likely would not have beaten Cav anyway. Such moves simply cannot be accepted and the only punishment with some bite is tossing Mark out of the race. Does anyone really think that Renshaw would give a flying f**k about a fine or stage DQ? :roll:

No, but it would have served as an appropriate warning that future transgressions wouldn't be tolerated, and in all likelihood punished more severely.
    It's sort of like the Uraguayan player that "saved" the goal with his hands.

Sort of.. Suarez knew he'd be dismissed and miss a subsequent semi-final, whilst the punishment in this instance is based on a subjective opinion. It's anything but objective if they've accounted for the consequences that it would have on Renshaw's own race, which I'd say is wrong.