Comments

• kozzo
    kozzo Posts: 182
    afx237vi wrote:
    kozzo wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:
    kozzo wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:
    So what has Evans done or said that is offensive?

i.e.: "I'll cut your head off"

You're very easily offended, in that case.

Sure... along with camera headbutting

Like I said, extreme stress in an unusual situation. Considering the scrum at the end of a stage, and the way some of the people act in those moments (ask McEwen what he thinks about that), I don't think headbutting a camera is particularly shocking.

Cadel is obviously uncomfortable in those situations. Big deal. I would be too.

What he said was offensive, what he did was offensive.

Don't take your measure on others...
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    kozzo wrote:
    #

Well if that's what you think, then fair enough, but I'd love to hear your opinion on Mark Cavendish :wink:
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    edited July 2010
    According to Internet Forum Medical Wisdom, the main symptom of some mental illness is 'not being like the poster'.

As it is, Evans is the rider I relate to the most, he's quite like me in many ways. We both grew up in remote country areas, so that probably has something to do with it. I haven't been kicked in the head by a horse though.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    he isn't comfortable with all the media scrutiny. He is better since winning the WC but seems to enjoy a quiet life in Italy with his Italian concert pianist wife, getting well paid to ride his bike. Not sure how any of us would cope with high levels of media interest.
    M.Rushton
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Evans got some flak at Lotto but it was more because he was getting irked by the sloppy ways of his team, they were chaotic to say the least. He didn't feel supported, you only had to see Van den Broeck riding for himself. It's no wonder he left the team early and that he's having a great season with a team built around him.
  • kozzo
    afx237vi wrote:
    kozzo wrote:
    #

Well if that's what you think, then fair enough, but I'd love to hear your opinion on Mark Cavendish :wink:

Well... no comments on MC :wink:

I prefer coldblooded reactions
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,471
    Evans is great, I hope he wins the tour.

Slightly weird/eccentric, which is always a good thing in my book. Most professional sportsmen are boring t*ssers whose interests and concerns outside of the sport don't extend much further than fast cars and watches. Fortunately cycling attracts a few more nerds and oddballs than some other sports and is far richer as a consequence.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    The guy is under an awful lot of stress, in a job which fatigues you in ways we don't know, and we all know how tough it is to stay corpus mentis when you've ridden long and hard (anyone ever shouted at a car?).

He has to live like a monk to put out the performances he does.

When you squeeze the balloon it pops out somewhere. In Cadel it's his behaviour in front of the press road side. Cavendish's similar.

The don't step on my dog T-shirt surely shows he's got that necessary perspective to be absolutely fine?

He's no Pantani is he?
  • wicked
    wicked Posts: 844
    The don't step on my dog T-shirt surely shows he's got that necessary perspective to be absolutely fine?

Actually it looks more like him realising at a later date that he came across as a complete twunt and then tried to put a positive spin on it and claim he was joking. FAIL.
    So what has Evans done or said that is offensive? Wiggins called l'Equipe a bunch of wankers in yesterday's press conference, but I don't see anyone suggesting he has behavioural difficulties.

The actual quote on cycling weakly had him laughing as he said it. That is a joke . :roll: Does not compare.
    It’s the most beautiful sport in the world but it’s governed by ***ts who have turned it into a crock of ****.
  • paulcuthbert
    paulcuthbert Posts: 1,016
    His interview is going to be interesting tonight......
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    Why is it so hard for some people to accept Evans is just a bit mental?
    It doesn`t mean he`s not a nice guy.
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,471
    Actually it looks more like him realising at a later date that he came across as a complete twunt and then tried to put a positive spin on it and claim he was joking. FAIL
    Nope, I think he realised that he was out of order and that it was also quite funny, and was putting a positive spin on it by laughing at himself. Completely different thing.
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    perhaps Evans should leave the TDF now before it takes a lot out of him and target the Vuelta? He's only done a week of real racing at TDF...so probably is early enough to save the autumn part of his season?
  • shipley
    shipley Posts: 549
    Whilst I'm not his biggest fan.. The fella needs a break today.

He was riding with a cracked elbow today which is more that most if us could do.....

http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/4874/ ... ersey.aspx
  • mooro
    mooro Posts: 483
    compare his sitting on the coach steps and expressing his gratitude to his team who he thought he had let down after fracturing his elbow, with the statement put out from armstrong after his bad day.

Cadel must be pretty f**ked off after illness in the giro and now this. I thought he came across really well from his interview tonight - maybe has the same pr guy as cav?
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    I've warmed to him a bit in the last couple of years - to be honest when people try and portray him as having a borderline personality disorder it makes me wonder about them more than Evans. Still think he's a bit of a wheelsucker though ;)

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • clanton
    clanton Posts: 1,289
    As it happens I have developed a huge amount of admiration for the man. I do think he is unhinged but I really respect the way he has ridden this whole season, today yet another example of how he battles along.

He IS barking, but then nobody's perfect!
  • micron
    micron Posts: 1,843
    The sight of Evans just sobbing in his teammates arms, both oblivious to the cameras was both moving and, for me, exactly what the sport is about - enormous bravery, tremendous courage and great suffering. And then to blame yourself for letting your team down (when riding the 2 big Alpine stages with a cracked elbow FFS) and buy them all beers? I've never been a great fan but he has covered the Rainbow & Yellow Jerseys in glory.
  • clanton
    clanton Posts: 1,289
    Just realised something in hindsight - I've been reading his diary (he comes across really well and as a decent chap when he writes/has time to think/is not under psressure) and there was no entry for the day before the rest day, ie the day he broke his elbow.
  • jonnycon
    jonnycon Posts: 116
    micron wrote:
    The sight of Evans just sobbing in his teammates arms, both oblivious to the cameras was both moving and, for me, exactly what the sport is about - enormous bravery, tremendous courage and great suffering. And then to blame yourself for letting your team down (when riding the 2 big Alpine stages with a cracked elbow FFS) and buy them all beers? I've never been a great fan but he has covered the Rainbow & Yellow Jerseys in glory.
    +1
    Never been a great fan myself, quite the opposite in fact but this tour has changed my opinion. In his interview post race today he came across as very humble after what we now know was a heroic effort with a fractured elbow, only the very strong survived today and he gave it a valid shot despite everything. Definitely a worthy world champion and his effort today embodied the spirit of the the yellow jersey.
  • Richrd2205
    Richrd2205 Posts: 1,267
    clanton wrote:
    I am quite sure he has Asperger's syndrome - effectively a mild form of autism. I used to work for someone who had it.
    Amongst other things they communciate much better (and in fact usually prefer to ) by writing rather than speaking and have significant difficulties interpreting other people's feelings and usually have no idea what they are saying or doing is offensive.
    Really? He shows almost no symptoms of an Autistic Spectrum disorder at all. Of the three points you offer, one is wrong, 2 bear no resemblance to this case & the third is a given for most people under stress.... That's some distance from conclusive & significantly closer to complete nonsense.
    I really wish folk wouldn't post this sort of thing without thinking it through...
    There's nothing remotely odd about his behaviour when you look at the context. This context has been gone through any number of times above.
    Behaviour without context can almost always be pathologised & that's what's happening here....
  • csp
    csp Posts: 777
    micron wrote:

Beautiful.
  • Moomaloid
    Moomaloid Posts: 2,040
    I think if there is one rider that doesn't deserve grief its Evans. As said above he's ridden brilliantly all year, with pride, in the WC jersey and his ride in the Giro was inspiring. The man really knows how to suffer. He wears his heart on his sleeve.

I've only recently got back on the bike after a fractured elbow and i can testify that the pain in the early stages is unbelievable. Not sure what he'll do when it begins to cease up solid as it will do.

The guy is a credit to the sport and i for one hope he wins a GT before he retires.
  • stagehopper
    stagehopper Posts: 1,593
    I've warmed to him a bit in the last couple of years - to be honest when people try and portray him as having a borderline personality disorder it makes me wonder about them more than Evans.

+1

To me he's more human than most of the peloton - there seems a desperate need by some to wrap people up into convenient personality boxes.
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    I've warmed to him a bit in the last couple of years - to be honest when people try and portray him as having a borderline personality disorder it makes me wonder about them more than Evans.

+1

To me he's more human than most of the peloton - .

Thats a strange comment ,most if not all of the peleton are just your average joe in the street who happen to have an ability to ride a bike fast.
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • pedro118118
    pedro118118 Posts: 1,102
    As always, the full spectrum of opinion here.

Personally, I think he really struggles to keep calm under pressure/scrutiny (excessively so). There are elements of wierdness, such as the "I'll cut your head off", "ne touche pas" and the headbutting incident, there are elements of anger mis-management, such as this year's altercation with JVDB and the punch-up on the bike at the Giro and then there's the way he comes across generally in interviews?

As an aside a couple of friends come back from the Tour today and spent a little time trying to chat to riders, get a few photos, autographs etc. They are caming back laden with some trinkets/items signed by Carlos Sastre, Wiggins, Basso, Cancellara, Zabriskie, Rogers, Cav etc.

The only rider who got annoyed and refused to talk/sign anything was Cadel Evans.

Suffice to say, they didn't manage to get anywhere near LA/Whack Shack!!!
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241

The only rider who got annoyed and refused to talk/sign anything was Cadel Evans.

So now we get to the nub of it. You think Cadel Evans should be sectioned because he wouldn't sign you mate's bidon. How long have you been holding this grudge? It doesn't seem mentally healthy to me.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,473
    This is worth a read;

http://blog.canyon.com/?p=2665&lang=en

Does anyone genuinely think you can judge someone's personality based on interviews held just after 200 km bike races?
  • kozzo
    andyp wrote:
    This is worth a read;

Does anyone genuinely think you can judge someone's personality based on interviews held just after 200 km bike races?

Of, course you can.
    Regardless stress and fatigue some riders keeps dignity and style even suffering and losing
    and I judge them as real heroes.
    How you face it is the point, not why you can not cope with it...
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    andyp wrote:
    This is worth a read;

I think you're prize banker at any distance :!: