TdF Stage 9 *Spoiler*

18910111214»

Comments

• andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,473
    Cunego and Levi, no excuse for not riding at all.

Are you still banging on about this? How do you think Cunego got in the break, magic?
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    He got in the break by making an effort like everyone else.

Does that mean he doesn't need to ride for the next 150km or however long he was there?
    Contador is the Greatest
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Contador pulled enough and decent on the descent and the flat (you really think Andy could pull back the lead four solo).

Contador did some pulling on the climb and rode side by side some times but obviously mostly he was on the wheel. Mainly because he could see Andy wanted to attack so it is best to have him in front rather than behind. When it was clear Andy decided to work then it was better. Either way, Andy certainly has the need/onus to lead and make the time gaps as big a possible.

How do you know whether Leipheimer did a turn or not. I can't remember there being a camera bike following that particular group. We barely saw them.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    RichN95 wrote:
    Contador pulled enough and decent on the descent and the flat (you really think Andy could pull back the lead four solo).

Contador did some pulling on the climb and rode side by side some times but obviously mostly he was on the wheel. Mainly because he could see Andy wanted to attack so it is best to have him in front rather than behind. When it was clear Andy decided to work then it was better. Either way, Andy certainly has the need/onus to lead and make the time gaps as big a possible.

How do you know whether Leipheimer did a turn or not. I can't remember there being a camera bike following that particular group. We barely saw them.

It doesn't matter, they are not on "the list".
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    RichN95 wrote:

According to himself Gesink pulled the full 8km on the Madeleine at the front of that group, with not even Menchov able to help him. Don't know about the descent and flat bit (only that Gesink bonked in the descent (!) and got a couple of gels from Jens Voigt also in that group, even though they were chasing Andy Schleck's group) .
  • Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103
    The only question for me is, when will Contador stop defending and launch his one, big attack. (assuming it works)

Agreed - both of them will launch little testing attacks, but Bertie will launch one big one to try and get a minute or so on Andy (and to say ''I'm the man'', ''I'm the top guy still'') - I'm just hoping that Andy doesn't panic when it happens, but rather goes with him (if he can) or claws back sensibly without panicking and losing him. Andy will need a clear head when it happens.
  • rokkala
    rokkala Posts: 649

From Levi:

"I tried to stay there a little too long with Alberto and Andy. I paid for that on the climb. I suffered all the way up,"

"Luckily I found a good group with the Rabobank guys Gesink and Menchov. They had to work together and thankfully I was able to hitch on to their wagon. I felt better and better on the flat at the end and I felt strong again. That's a good sign."
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960

Don't be blinded by your man-love for Contador. He had just as much to gain by distancing the other GC riders as Andy did. He was just lazy.

And yes, Andy could have pulled back the lead group on his own. He virtually did as it was. Probably could have done it sooner if he hadn't wasted time and energy playing cat and mouse with Contador.
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    I read last night that on stage 9 going up the Madeleine, the 45-man strong autobus (with all the sprinters, and also Martin and Voeckler and others) started to think they'd misjudged what speed they needed to be going to get inside the time limit, so once over the top, they hurried to the finish.

They went from the top of the Madeleine to the finish line in roughly 34 mins, so 3 mins faster than Casar & co., almost 1 min faster than Contador and friends, and about 1-30 faster then the Menchow and Basso little groups.
    The power of numbers!

Since Milllar came in almost 8 mins after them, and wasn't eliminated, maybe they didn't need to push so hard.
    Unless they were actually trying to avoid him!

What a hard day Millar made for himself, getting dropped alone so early on. Quite an achievement to still get home in time too.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Pokerface wrote:
    I've just seen something on the live coverage I've never seen before. Riding along - one RS rider holding onto the bike of another RS rider while the second rider was having a wee (while on one of the descents). I guess that's how you do it if you don't want to take the time to stop and get off!

There is a good photo of Astana in 07 Tour I think with one guy pushing another guy who in turn is pushing another guy (Vino I think) who is relieving himself.

Haha, I just found it!
    n37009031_31901277_9895.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest