TdF Stage 9 *Spoiler*

Comments

• meenaghman
    meenaghman Posts: 345
    The Tourmalet stage is after a rest day and I think that will benefit AC more than AS.
  • ms_tree
    ms_tree Posts: 1,405
    Don't know how I've got through today - JI Gutierrez in the break - and Tony Gibb in the studio :wink:
    'Google can bring back a hundred thousand answers. A librarian can bring you back the right one.'
    Neil Gaiman
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,223
    Strange old finish today, you'd have thought LL would have got wind that they were about to get caught with Moreau in the break then having caught them the 3 seemed to just let the breakaways fight the stage out after all :?

I'm really wishing I didn't watch the ITV highlights though, Phil and Paul after Basso, Evans etc. went out the back "Armstrong still climbing with the leaders though, shows he has suffered with bad luck not bad form" :roll:

At least I now know it wasn't bad editing by ITV though, I saw a biggish front group with Wiggo and Lofkvist still in it after Basso and Evans had gone but then never saw them again until the finish. The TV coverage is a bit patchy this year to say the least. I know they haven't got enough cameras to cover every group but surely they could have some sort of ticker saying where everyone is.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Not only did St Ivan tow those lazy b'stards De Weert and VDB up the mountain, he also sorted them out with a gel and some water.

He also said he did the descent really well and feels more confident going downhill.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • domhopson
    domhopson Posts: 259
    Pokerface wrote:
    Yup, fractured elbow for Evans from his crash the other day. Explains a lot really and chapeau for carrying on.

Well done Cadel... Tough nut for carrying on.
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    Well, at least HTC can now stop all this "Rogers for GC" guff and focus everyone on setting up some sprints for Cav...
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • domhopson
    domhopson Posts: 259
    DaveyL wrote:
    Well, at least HTC can now stop all this "Rogers for GC" guff and focus everyone on setting up some sprints for Cav...

They should have realised from the start that Rogers was never a "real" GC contender
  • iainf72
    DaveyL wrote:

Any suggestions for Sky?
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    ... with Schleck looking marginally stronger than Contador in the mountains ...
    But not coming down the mountains. I don't think I've ever seen a top rider come down a mountain as poorly as Schleck did down the Madeleine. I don't mean speed, but quickest and safest line, clean cornering (best approach to corners and thereafter quickly accelerating), etc.

I'm sure Contador could have dropped Schleck on the descent if he'd wanted.
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    It looked that way - yet one of the best descenders in the bunch couldn't pull back 40 seconds on them even on a descent of that length so either Schleck was going faster than he looked or Sammy Sanchez was going slower.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    iainf72 wrote:
    DaveyL wrote:

Any suggestions for Sky?

Take out Cav so EBH can win a sprint.
  • knedlicky
    Kléber wrote:
    Andy Schleck was attacking and Contador just had to close him down.
    According to an interview Jens Voigt gave immediately on arrival at the finish (Evans still hadn't come in), Schleck had decided in advance to try something today to gain time on Evans, thus why Schleck attacked. Apparently, the Saxo-Bank team had felt Evans looked susceptible yesterday (I read in the media, Evans said he felt fine yesterday, but maybe he was bluffing - those on the road might well know better).
    So today Schleck wasn't particularly attacking Contador or any other contenders, although it worked out that way.

Voigt also said, the fact that he was 3/4 way up the Madeleine when Schleck appeared (and so was able to help Schleck for a couple of kms), wasn't planned in advance, it just coincidentally turned out that way.
  • knedlicky
    It looked that way - yet one of the best descenders in the bunch couldn't pull back 40 seconds on them even on a descent of that length so either Schleck was going faster than he looked or Sammy Sanchez was going slower.
    I don't know the exact figures but I think Sanchez reduced his deficit from over 50 secs to less than 10 secs, but then just couldn't bridge the gap, which then widened (the valley road isn't flat, as suggested by the commentators, but a long slow uphill).

Anyway Sanchez also didn't give the best appearance when descending, maybe because of the effort of the ascent and then the stress of trying to close the gap (his face suggested this).

Also the second part of the Madeleine descent isn't that simple because of the number of tight bends - brake, accelerate, brake, accelerate, etc - there ought to be a differentiation in the term 'good descenders' - those who manage the long flowing descents well and those who manage the more meddly ones best; I'm sure there's a difference.
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    Kléber wrote:
    The pyrenees will be epic!
    I'm less certain. The race looks cooked already, the risk is we only watch repeats of today's stage across the Pyrenees

+1

Race is over after 10 days.
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • paulcuthbert
    paulcuthbert Posts: 1,016
    iainf72 wrote:
    Any suggestions for Sky?

Go home
  • moray_gub
    dennisn wrote:
    I only caught bits and pieces today but noticed something about Vino attacking.
    Anyone care to fill me in? Thanx

Apparently he attacked to get up the road to help AC when he attacked dont know how it worked out tho ..................
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Moray Gub wrote:
    Kléber wrote:
    I'm less certain. The race looks cooked already, the risk is we only watch repeats of today's stage across the Pyrenees

+1

And mountain stages that end on a long descent don't break up the field either, do they?
    There's plenty of racing to be done yet. Anything can happen.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • moray_gub
    RichN95 wrote:
    Moray Gub wrote:
    Kléber wrote:

+1

And mountain stages that end on a long descent don't break up the field either, do they?
    There's plenty of racing to be done yet. Anything can happen.

Thats always the case in a bike race but i think AC is gonna follow Andy until the TT then take yellow then.I hope i am wrong and Andy can drop AC next week and gain the time he needs.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Dave_1 wrote:
    Sounds like AC might be seeing himself in a defensive damage limitation role ? Following schlek and praying for the 50k TT

I don't see it that way. Contador has not attacked at all. Andy was going very hard and was unable to even gap Contador more than a few metres.

As for why he didn't attack yesterday, like Blazing says, thta would have been a stupid thing to try and drop Andy then work solo for the rest.

We will see what happens when Contador does attack. The stage on Sunday have the two steepest climbs (by av %) and it is a summit finish. I wouldn't be surprised to see Contador do damage there. Maybe Mende too - very steep.

For me, Cotador will be in yellow BEFORE the TT.

Basso is strong in the 3rd week. Kreuziger has mentioned the third week. Szymd hasn't been called into action yet (although he may not have the legs). I expect Basso will move up nicely.

A big congratulations to Millar - he was out the back after 30km so rode 180km solo with cracked ribs, back spasms and illness. That is very admirable. See some good quotes from him here:
    http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/4879/ ... e-cut.aspx
    Contador is the Greatest
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    iainf72 wrote:
    DaveyL wrote:

Any suggestions for Sky?

Not really, they don't have such an obvious card like Cav to play.

Or "Get on a programme"?
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • iainf72

For me, Cotador will be in yellow BEFORE the TT.

If he is, he'll leave it as late as possible unless fate intervenes. But I bet if you offered him the chance to take it in the TT without wearing yellow before then, he'd grab it.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,223
    It's a big gamble to leave everything to the TT, yes he's quicker than Schleck but it only takes a mechanical or a spill. Anyway, Contador only ever rides to win so I guess he'll be going for every stage :wink:
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    iainf72 wrote:
    If he is, he'll leave it as late as possible unless fate intervenes. But I bet if you offered him the chance to take it in the TT without wearing yellow before then, he'd grab it.
    Evans hoped to win the yellow of Sastre but it didn't work, risky stuff. So yes, it would be better to take yellow or at least narrow the gap.
  • iainf72
    Kléber wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:
    Evans hoped to do this with Sastre but it didn't work, risky stuff.

Indeed. If he was assured he'd take it in the TT it's the best time to take it.
  • frenchfighter
    edited September 2015
    It is a real shame about Evans. He was pretty upset about it too.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    Moray Gub wrote:
    Kléber wrote:

+1

+2
    Pretty much the story of the Tour, this past 20 years.
    The only question for me is, when will Contador stop defending and launch his one, big attack. (assuming it works)
    I don't see him waiting just for the ITT. Too risky. A crash, mechanical or both and he's got no safety net.
    Probably the Tourmalet, or possible Aix, for me, but it may come down to how Andy looks on a particular stage.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • frenchfighter
    Also, not sure if it has been said, but it looks like Levi sucked wheels to death then jumped at the line. Lightweight.

Anyone see him do any work?

Don't these guys understand that if they help with the pace setting then they will get to the finish faster? I mean if Basso had had more help then possibly he could have caught Menchov's group.

It's a shame he didn't have Kreuziger - he finished another minute back with Vino and Kloden.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    My prediction is that the roles of Contador and Schleck will be reversed come week 3, with Contador putting Andy under pressure in the mountains.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    All I saw was Contador sucking Andy's wheel. Andy repeatedly calling him through and Contador just sitting there.. Finally coming through and doing a 30 second turn on the front. Only ever time i saw him on the front was on the downhill parts.

Even the best suck wheels.
  • frenchfighter
    Contador pulled enough and decent on the descent and the flat (you really think Andy could pull back the lead four solo).

Contador did some pulling on the climb and rode side by side some times but obviously mostly he was on the wheel. Mainly because he could see Andy wanted to attack so it is best to have him in front rather than behind. When it was clear Andy decided to work then it was better. Either way, Andy certainly has the need/onus to lead and make the time gaps as big a possible.

Cunego and Levi, no excuse for not riding at all.
    Contador is the Greatest