* SPOILERS * What was Sky thinking?

13»

Comments

• mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,813
    Must admit I did wonder if part of Sky's reason for going hard up the penultimate big climb was that they hoped to catch some of their rivals before they had chance to top up their form on the rest day.

been mulling this sky on the front thing over

another possibility is they may feel wiiggins may of had an advantage over some of the guys aiming to come good in the third...

which would have been a coup if they had pulled it off... but etc..

it was a odd move to make and even Sky virtually recognize it as a mistake in public..
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Lofkvist was stronger than Wiggins yesterday. Thomas was following Ryder until he was forced to tow Bradley to the finish line.
  • donrhummy
    donrhummy Posts: 2,329
    eh wrote:
    Thing is Sky tried a similar tactic in the Daupine and it failed there, me thinks they need to revisit the tactics drawing board and come up with a different plan.
    How about you or some of the other critical posters becoming DS for Sky, I am sure you would do a better job with the riders they have?

Not this dumb argument - the sign of a closed mind. "You're not an established 'expert' so your opinion could never have any validity to it. Only the 'experts' have the right to a valid opinion." Please. There are plenty of people who aren't in official positions who can make a valid analysis of a situation.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Discussing sports performances is what internet forums are for.

The same lofty attitudes would deprive TV commentators from commenting on last night's world cup final. "Well since I've never played in a world cup final, I'll just shut up" would be the refrain. Indeed in cycling the likes of Harmon, Liggett, Birnie and Moore might as well go home. Indeed if only experts are allowed then no voter is allowed to go near a ballot paper, for nobody can have a mastery of every subject of government, from bilateral trade relations with Fiji to clinical care standards in Glasgow.

Sky are a long term project and let's hope they have a better Tour. It's been very hot in the Tour and Wiggins could still come good. I can't see him attacking but a stage win in the TT is possible. It's also a time for them to sign new riders, I hope they get some more support on board.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Matt "Head of Marginal Gains" Parker has said Wiggins numbers were better than last year and they expected him to climb better.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • magicrhodes
    magicrhodes Posts: 123
    eh wrote:
    Thing is Sky tried a similar tactic in the Daupine and it failed there, me thinks they need to revisit the tactics drawing board and come up with a different plan.
    How about you or some of the other critical posters becoming DS for Sky, I am sure you would do a better job with the riders they have?

+1 It like the footie fans who think they are better than Fergie Mourinho Wenger et al because they took Darlington to a Champions League victory on Football Manager.... actuallly isn't there a Cycling Manager... perhaps football idiocy is catching!
  • magicrhodes
    magicrhodes Posts: 123
    iainf72 wrote:
    wicked wrote:
    All too easy to dissect every little thing AFTER the event isn't it, unfortunately Sky do not have that luxury. The trend to knock sky is tiresome and unfortunately very British.

Are you suggesting they should be beyond criticism?

No it is just the style of criticism is very boring.... and I'd go a step further in saying it is a very ENGLISH attitude. We prefer plucky losers to winners, I can't really see the Welsh treating Thomas the way that some English treat Wiggins. However I can see the Welsh treating Wiggins (or any other Englishman) that way...
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    I'm not english so I can't comment :wink:

To me, Thomas always comes across like a nice bloke. Wiggins can come across as an absolute tool on occasion. So perhaps it's because the guys rub people up the wrong way. Some people will be bothered, others won't.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    No it is just the style of criticism is very boring.... and I'd go a step further in saying it is a very ENGLISH attitude. We prefer plucky losers to winners, I can't really see the Welsh treating Thomas the way that some English treat Wiggins. However I can see the Welsh treating Wiggins (or any other Englishman) that way...

The Welsh don't dislike English sportsmen - just the rugby team, and to a lesser extent the football team.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • iainf72 wrote:
    Matt "Head of Marginal Gains" Parker has said Wiggins numbers were better than last year and they expected him to climb better.

Matt Parker doesn't ride a bike. British Cycling only started getting results when they combined the numbers with the right advice. Brad should be OK if the right people are looking after him. There's a load more to riding a bike than hitting numbers in a lab or even on a mountain!
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    eh wrote:

Anyone who criticizes doesn't have to be expected to perform the job better. Sky have a habit of thinking that their team is stronger than it actually is. If we can see that, then why can't their DS?
    So your telling me that on the second from last climb when Sky were driving the front, you could see that Wiggo was going to blow on the last climb? Wow, can you give me 6 numbers for the lottery saturday please? :)
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    iainf72 wrote:
    wicked wrote:
    All too easy to dissect every little thing AFTER the event isn't it, unfortunately Sky do not have that luxury. The trend to knock sky is tiresome and unfortunately very British.

You can? Why is that do you know any welsh people personally ? You don't unerstand them if you do know them for sure.
    I would love for Wiggo to win and think he is great, same as Cav, who is also english, for football? could not give a shxt, forrugby? that is a different story completely but if you knew welsh people you would know that :wink:
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,813
    So your telling me that on the second from last climb when Sky were driving the front, you could see that Wiggo was going to blow on the last climb? Wow, can you give me 6 numbers for the lottery saturday please? :)

I thought it was pretty risky at the time as it exposed your team early in the stage
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,223
    It seemed a bit risky at first with just Flecha and Lofkvist there especially as it was unlikely Flecha could last the climb at that pace but then Geraint moved to the front and it looked more promising. I suspect that he was expected to last much longer than he did, I was certainly surprised to see him struggle. The original plan probably included for Gerrans to be there too but as we now know he was nursing a broken arm. Maybe the tactic should have been changed but they made a decision and stuck with it - had Wiggins stayed with the leaders and some big rivals been shelled before the rest day it would have been a worthwhile tactic. Sky were being criticised early season for not racing hard enough, some people will criticise them whatever they do, and hindsight makes planning tactics very easy. I'd have just told them to follow Astana and then get on Schleck's wheel in the final km myself :wink: .
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    iainf72 wrote:
    wicked wrote:

You can? Why is that do you know any welsh people personally ? You don't unerstand them if you do know them for sure.
    I would love for Wiggo to win and think he is great, same as Cav, who is also english,

Cav is not English.
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Cav, who is also english
    Cha neel Sostynagh, t'eh ny Vanninagh veih'n chlean
  • pedro118118
    pedro118118 Posts: 1,102
    Seems to me Sky are playing the cards they've been dealt.
    Controlling the race as best they can for as long as they can, so as to defend against attacks/changes of pace, which Wiggo struggles to cope with.

Personally, I think the selection on Sunday didn't throw up any surprises. I don't think Bertie wants the jersey until the Pyrenees and is happy for Saxo Bank and BMC to fight over it until then.

Wiggo lost a bit of time, but not a catastrophic amount. If he can limit his losses in the mountains and make up some time in the final ITT, then a decent (Top 10) GC placing is still there for the taking.

Bottom line is he's not quite amongst the real 'creme-de-la-creme' of climbers and will lose time on the really tough Alpine/Pyrenean stages. Modern Tour planning seems to favour climbing over ITTing, so he may need to wait for a softer route to better his 4th of last year.