TdF stage 6 *spoiler*

Comments

• inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    If he can I think finishing the tour would be good for Cav, not only to win more stages but to get some serious condition for the second half of the year.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    I think his only other objective is the Worlds this year (don't think it really favours him though) so I guess at the very least the lure of the final stage on the Champs Elysee might keep him there to the end.
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    Renshaw - what a lead out rider!

+1 He certainly does a hell of a job for the Team. I don't think Cav would be in contention without him.
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • thamacdaddy
    thamacdaddy Posts: 590
    Pross wrote:
    Cav back to his best. It seems HTC have decided to hang in on the other riders trains and just have Renshaw to do the final lead out. A good switch of tactics if that is the case after the other teams started messing up their train. Renshaw again showing what a team player he is

Totally agree it's the whole team but certainally those two who deliver the results. Think cav has commented that monfort etc are a bit tired after last few days and also they do want to save Martin and Rogers for any opportunities on other stages so makes sense they are not using everyone in the train at the minute.
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    jibberjim wrote:
    Thomas gains 3 seconds on his GC rivals...
    That should see him right for the Alps.

Marginal gains!
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • DaveyL
    Not sure about Garmin's tactics there - looked like Hunter was pretty much sprinting for himself. The team aren't 100% focussed on Tyler.

Roche just picking up on this as I type it. Reckon they should indeed have Hunter as last man, with Dean and Farrar leading out.
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    donrhummy wrote:
    Great ride by Cav, perfect jump. But the most amazing thing? Tyler Farrar with a BROKEN wrist actually rode the same exact speed as Cav that whole time to the line! He just jumped too late. Impressive.

I'd be a bit wary of that story. Tyler H taught us a lot in media management/manipulation. Most drop out with bad breaks as it is so painful so hope the media don't overdo the Farrar story too much, but with all the goodwill Vaughter's has built talking tough...who knows?
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    well the garmin guys were out in the wind too long, Rickshaw and Chav timed it perfectly.

Chav really has found the magic formula again, again, no one came back on him in the last 20-30 meters. Really good final speed - left Petachi for dead - granted Petacchi was a little exposed in the finale.

I reckon he has 1 or 2 more in him in the tour. Is he going the distance or his he pulling ot to train for other objectives?

Whose Chav? Unless you are being derogatory toward Cavendish ............... :evil:

What have you done in the cycling world? Have you ever won a stage of the TdF? Thought not, certainly not 6 wins in one Tour.
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    dilemna wrote:
    DaveyL wrote:
    Sean Roche?

What do you want these guys to talk about when nothing's happening?

Ooops, Sean Kelly. 'Tis my first time listening to Eurosport.

I'm sure they can do better than that piece of drivel.

I think you have just demonstrated you can't

disappointing lack of aggressiveness by the peloton IMO

red cards all round....

needs more cobbles or somefink

Every GT i have ever watched (and its many) has days like this i am surprised so many posters are surpised.Even classic races like te 2005 Giro has days were nothing much happens, its perfectly in keeping with what usually happens.
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    I just read the précis for tomorrow's stage on letour.fr (PTP research, see) and they totally pwn Cadel Evans;
    The slopes are not massively difficult, so it is not necessarily a stage for a major climber, more so for a rider like Cadel Evans or David Moncoutié

Miaow!
  • DaveyL
    Ouch.

Actually I think he's gonna be my PTP pick.

Saw someone commenting on twitter that there were two cyclists fighting after the finish line. Any details?
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    edited September 2015
    1 Mark Cavendish (Gbr) Team HTC - Columbia 5:37:42
    2 Tyler Farrar (USA) Garmin - Transitions
    3 Alessandro Petacchi (Ita) Lampre-Farnese Vini
    4 Robbie McEwen (Aus) Team Katusha
    5 Gerald Ciolek (Ger) Team Milram
    6 Sébastien Turgot (Fra) Bbox Bouygues Telecom
    7 Jose Joaquin Rojas Gil (Spa) Caisse d'Epargne
    8 Edvald Boasson Hagen (Nor) Sky Professional Cycling Team
    9 Robert Hunter (RSA) Garmin - Transitions
    10 Thor Hushovd (Nor) Cervelo Test Team
    Contador is the Greatest
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    +however many on Renshaw. His leadouts are always impeccable, whether he's fighting through traffic, following the train or hitting gaps. His interview yesterday where he was chuckling about going elbow to elbow with Thor just showed him in such a good light. Awesome rider.
  • AidanR
    AidanR Posts: 1,142
    dilemna wrote:
    Whose Chav? Unless you are being derogatory toward Cavendish ............... :evil:

What have you done in the cycling world? Have you ever won a stage of the TdF? Thought not, certainly not 6 wins in one Tour.

Whose Chav? HTC's Chav, I believe... :wink:

Come on, it's a humorous nickname for a talented but somewhat outspoken rider. No need to get worked up over it! :D
    Bike lover and part-time cyclist.
  • FransJacques
    FransJacques Posts: 2,148
    RichN95 wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:
    Petacchi in green?

No, I just had a look.

Thor - 118 pts, Petacchi 112 (and Cav further back on 85, so he's not out of it yet)

It's a points jersey and you have to be 80% sprinter and 20% all-rounder, but 10th in the sprint for Thor today isn't great given the few teammates I'm sure Van Poppel has put at his disposal. Is he not fit? Is he not sprint-trained? Should we expect more of him in the moyen-montagnes?

If he wins green I hope he impresses doing so and doesn't hold on for grim death while others rack up multiple stage wins...
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,223
    By the end of tomorrow Geraint will be in yellow as I can see him staying with the GC contenders on those hills.
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    Depends if it kicks off or they just bloody look at each other all day.

Strava is not Zen.
  • DaveyL
    Juliet Macur on twitter saying it was Costa and Baredo that came to blows after the stage. No idea why.
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,223
    RichN95 wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:
    Petacchi in green?

No, I just had a look.

Thor - 118 pts, Petacchi 112 (and Cav further back on 85, so he's not out of it yet)

It's a points jersey and you have to be 80% sprinter and 20% all-rounder, but 10th in the sprint for Thor today isn't great given the few teammates I'm sure Van Poppel has put at his disposal. Is he not fit? Is he not sprint-trained? Should we expect more of him in the moyen-montagnes?

If he wins green I hope he impresses doing so and doesn't hold on for grim death while others rack up multiple stage wins...

Maybe after his success in the medium mountains last year he is aiming at picking up more points there, I still think the problem he will have is that EBH is better than him in that environment and is also beating him in the bunch sprints. It would be nice to have an all rounder winning the jersey.
  • afx237vi
    Apparently McEwen crashed after the finish line. He was sounding depressed as hell when they interviewed him on the start line this morning... rough Tour for him with illness and crashes.
  • shakey88
    shakey88 Posts: 289
    AidanR wrote:
    dilemna wrote:

Whose Chav? HTC's Chav, I believe... :wink:

Come on, it's a humorous nickname for a talented but somewhat outspoken rider. No need to get worked up over it! :D

does that mean i can call francsjaque le frog? seems humerous enough to me :lol:
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    BBC Ticker:

TOUR DE FRANCE:Briton Mark Cavendish wins second successive stage to equal record for Tour wins

Anyone know what they're on about?

Strava is not Zen.
  • oscarbudgie
    oscarbudgie Posts: 850
    calvjones wrote:
    BBC Ticker:

TOUR DE FRANCE:Briton Mark Cavendish wins second successive stage to equal record for Tour wins

Anyone would think the BBC only cover cycling once a year
    Cannondale Supersix / CAAD9 / Boardman 9.0 / Benotto 3000
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    calvjones wrote:
    BBC Ticker:

Maybe he holds the record back to back wins?
  • afx237vi
    dennisn wrote:
    calvjones wrote:
    BBC Ticker:

What, two?
  • dennisn
    afx237vi wrote:
    dennisn wrote:
    calvjones wrote:
    BBC Ticker:

What, two?

I don't know. Could be? Maybe they were talking about him equaling his own record? Whatever that may be. I'm sure he probably holds SOME tour record, what with all the stats they keep. Or whomever said that has got his head up his *ss.
  • Homer J
    Homer J Posts: 920
    I tthink he's equaled whats his names record, the german bloke that's training them
  • Homer J
    Homer J Posts: 920
    Zabel :roll: (mind went blank)
  • afx237vi
    Homer J wrote:
    I tthink he's equaled whats his names record, the german bloke that's training them

But what record is that?

He still has 22 more stage wins before he equals Merckx's record.
  • dennisn
    Homer J wrote:

OK, I've got ask. What record? Call me stupid if you must. :oops: :oops: