Tdf Stage 5 *spoiler*

Comments

• shinyhelmut
    shinyhelmut Posts: 1,364
    k2rider wrote:
    blimey Cav seems not to be the emotionless pillock people make him out to be, genuine tears of joy on the podium there, good to see him back!

I don't think anyone ever accused him of being emotionless.

Great ride though. It's much more exciting when he doesnt win everything.
  • greasedscotsman
    greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962
    Ahh, big hung from Fabian and everything is alright...
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    Another awesome lead out by Renshaw. Never thought I'd see Cav on the podium, blubbing his heart out. Genuine emotion, well deserved too!

I don't care for the bloke but he's an awesome sprinter.
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    1 Mark Cavendish (GBr) Team HTC - Columbia 4:30:50
    2 Gerald Ciolek (Ger) Team Milram
    3 Edvald Boasson Hagen (Nor) Sky Professional Cycling Team
    4 Jose Joaquin Rojas Gil (Spa) Caisse d'Epargne
    5 Thor Hushovd (Nor) Cervelo Test Team
    6 Sébastien Turgot (Fra) Bbox Bouygues Telecom
    7 Robbie Mcewen (Aus) Team Katusha
    8 Alessandro Petacchi (Ita) Lampre-Farnese Vini
    9 Lloyd Mondory (Fra) AG2R La Mondiale
    10 Tyler Farrar (USA) Garmin - Transitions
    Contador is the Greatest
  • rockmount
    rockmount Posts: 761
    afx237vi wrote:
    TommyEss wrote:
    Well done indeed - just wondering whether *spoiler* in the title is a moot point, given that within minutes of the win it's splashed all over the main page?!

Some people, like me, don't bother with the front page.
    There's a front page ??
    .. who said that, internet forum people ?
  • Squaggles
    Squaggles Posts: 875
    Definitely looks like Cav can't sprint anymore :roll:
    The UCI are Clowns and Fools
  • AidanR
    AidanR Posts: 1,142

:shock:
    Bike lover and part-time cyclist.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    1910026271.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • FransJacques
    FransJacques Posts: 2,148
    Don't talk about not putting spoiler in the thread - all the panty buncher special needs people who *claim* they don't know the result will get excited and bully you.

After all, I visit the pro racing page specifically NOT to know who won...anything.
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • Doobz
    Doobz Posts: 2,800
    his teeth look good! :wink:

Dentist?
    cartoon.jpg
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    Doobz wrote:
    his teeth look good! :wink:

Dentist?

More likely a stone mason
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,813
    that was great... tears and everything
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    he's still a knacker.

"I was slipping of the cloud ...."
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    It was a good sprint. He went reasonably early off Renshaw's wheel and kept going. This was no freak result or lucky sprint.
  • oscarbudgie
    oscarbudgie Posts: 850

Whoa thats a Freudian slip and a half
    Cannondale Supersix / CAAD9 / Boardman 9.0 / Benotto 3000
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Sky's kit looks pretty damn cool
    Getty
    610x.jpg

That Lofkvist chick is pretty sexy!
  • greasedscotsman
    greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962

Whoa thats a Freudian slip and a half

Oops, just realised what I typed there. Still, maybe I was right first time, could explain the tears from Cavendish!
  • rjh299
    rjh299 Posts: 721
    Great to see him get his first stage. Again thanked his team and even said he let them down yesterday. Green is probably too far unless Hushovd crashes out but few more stages will do. Get in there Cav!
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    EBH is 40 odd points behind Thor. I wonder if he is thinking about trying to get the green jersey.
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    DaveyL wrote:
    EBH is 40 odd points behind Thor. I wonder if he is thinking about trying to get the green jersey.

I wondered the same thing. And like Thor, he can score points on the tougher days too.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,813
    thor needs to watch out for the likes of EBH "G" and evans.. you never know

another dark horse is mcwen...likley to go to paris and tends to finish in front of thor on the flat sprints

Thor should do it but the medium mountain stages matter a bit more this year.
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • shakey88
    shakey88 Posts: 289
    Nice one Cav,that last km was awesome with Renshaw being so strong.It looked like the rest were taking it in turns to disrupt Cavs lead out,Thor literally shoulder charging Renshaw at one point!
    Good to see Cav back on the winners podium again and even showing some emotion other than petulance.Class
    Should keep the winging haters quiet for a bit....maybe
  • Coriander
    Coriander Posts: 1,326
    Bless him, that made me all sniffly... :oops:

Y'know, I am always inclined to not like Cav, but then after each win all he does is thank his teammates and admit he'd not have achieved anything without them. And I like that.
  • magicrhodes
    magicrhodes Posts: 123
    Getting a bit tyred (sic) with all this Cav good emotion BS. Cav is an emtional guy and with that you get good and bad emotion. Its either both or bland sports clone you see all over the place these days.

Sometimes I do honestly think that some people are gutted to have a set of good/great British riders because they felt that supporting foreigners (sorry but it is the most suitable word) makes them better than everyone else.

Awesome ride by Cav today and I am absolutely chuffed for him!!!
  • Homer J
    Homer J Posts: 920
    TDF isn't about supporting the guy from the same country as yourself. You are getting it confused with the olympics :wink:
  • iainf72
    Sometimes I do honestly think that some people are gutted to have a set of good/great British riders because they felt that supporting foreigners (sorry but it is the most suitable word) makes them better than everyone else.

Cavendish depended on an Australian, German, Austrian, Belarusian and that guy from Belgium to win his race today. For an American team. With a German sprint mentor.

So if you support Cav, you support foreigners.

:wink:
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    iainf72 wrote:

Cavendish depended on an Australian, German, Austrian, Belarusian and that guy from Belgium to win his race today. For an American team. With a German sprint mentor.

I agree with that though. There's a certain type of cycling fan who's a bit of a snob. Part of the reason they like cycling is that it's a minority sport in the UK, and they get to be into this cool minority sport that's really great, that no-one else "gets". Whenever there is a successful British rider, it raises the profile of the sport, the sport becomes more mainstream and more "commoners" get into the sport, thus diluting it. Kind of like being into a cool band no-one knows about before they make it big. Hence the reason there is also a lot of dislike of Sky from some quarters.
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • magicrhodes
    magicrhodes Posts: 123
    iainf72 wrote:

True and I agree with you completely, cycling is a team sport and you need a good one. I'm just sick of these holier than thou fans who think having a downer on Cav and Wiggins put them above us. Seriously I had one guy try to tell me that cycling fans aren't patriotic which is just wrong!
  • iainf72
    That might be true in some cases, sure. But I don't believe it's the case in general.

Saying "oooh, you're just trying to be cool and un-British" ignores the fact that perhaps people do find Cavendish objectionable. Hell, they might even feel it more acutely because he's "British" - I don't know. To me, Cavendish is very much like Ricco. A very good bike rider, big "personality" but an absolute tool (based on your book, your many TV and magazine interviews Mark, not just 5 minutes post stage BTW)

You don't tend to see people begrudging Hammond or Jez Hunt doing well, do you?