Commuting Forum Summer Gathering - this saturday!

Comments

• Norky
    Norky Posts: 276
    I'll be coming. Youngish bloke of average build on a Focus Cayo. StuAff, which train will you be getting? I might see if I can find you as I've never been to RP before (or indeed ridden in London).
    The above is a post in a forum on the Intertubes, and should be taken with the appropriate amount of seriousness.
  • Oddjob62
    Oddjob62 Posts: 1,056
    Norky wrote:
    on a Focus Cayo.

Ahhh that settles it... gotta ride the FG... can't turn up to the party in the same dress as someone else.
    As yet unnamed (Dolan Seta)
    Joelle (Focus Expert SRAM)
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    StuAff wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    I sprint like a beast, but I climb like a sheep...

Well, actually sheep are pretty handy on hillsides.

Only if you're really lonely and completely desperate.

I didn't know you were of Welsh descent...
    :D
    Nope, definitely not Welsh. Or the other stuff..........
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • stuaff
    Norky wrote:
    I'll be coming. Youngish bloke of average build on a Focus Cayo. StuAff, which train will you be getting? I might see if I can find you as I've never been to RP before (or indeed ridden in London).

Not sure at this stage- stuff to do in the morning before I head up- but probably 1030 or so from Pompey. Might well just get the slow one & ride in from CJ rather than Waterloo.

Riding in London's not that scary, honest......
    Bikeroutetoaster will give you a pretty good route to follow. Richmond and the park are well signposted if my memory serves....
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • Norky
    Norky Posts: 276
    Oddjob62 wrote:
    Ahhh that settles it... gotta ride the FG... can't turn up to the party in the same dress as someone else.

D'oh, don't change on my account. Mine does look somewhat different to the one in your sig.: mostly black and Shimano finishing kit rather than SRAM: http://s.wiggle.co.uk/images/focus-cayo ... 0-zoom.jpg

Dresses though...no one told me about dresses. I'd only just gotten used to wearing lycra in public, I'm not sure I'm ready for the next step just yet.
    The above is a post in a forum on the Intertubes, and should be taken with the appropriate amount of seriousness.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Is this the London commuters club meeting? Do you all turn up, ride to work then go home?

:wink::wink::wink:

If I was at Bike Radar Live I might have been able to come along, but sadly all a bit far away.

Hope you all enjoy it though.
  • londonbairn
    londonbairn Posts: 316
    might turn up on the ROI Di2 with the missus on her PX if we have time.
  • stuaff
    might turn up on the ROI Di2 with the missus on her PX if we have time.

Please do! :D
  • amnezia
    amnezia Posts: 590
    FYI - Upper Richmond road is closed westbound, there is a special cycle only diversion route which gets you round it fairly easily.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Luckily my route from Brizzle takes me along Lower Richmond Road.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • stuaff
    Looking fine from CJ or Waterloo as well, alternative routes aplenty. Upper Richmond Road will be fine for eastbound.
  • Oddjob62
    LiT: Want me to bring those handlebars?
  • _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    Oddjob62 wrote:
    Only if they're basket-compatible.
  • Oddjob62
    _Brun_ wrote:
    Oddjob62 wrote:
    Only if they're basket-compatible.

Ahh there you are. I hope you will be joining us tomorrow. Fancy meeting at Regents Park as before?

In fact might as well make it an open invite to any N Londoners who fancy some company, I'll be on Regents Park's Outer Circle at the South end of Avenue Road (that's the one that comes down from Swiss Cottage). Leaving at noon.

Here
  • _Brun_
    Got some stuff to do this morning so probably won't make regent's park for 12. Will catch up with you doing laps or at the pub.
  • I'll be making an appearance.

Arriving into Marylebone as I do not fancy the 30 mile ride there in the heat of the day followed by laps of the park :oops:

May ride home though
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    Ace day today. Beautiful people.

Even MM was nice to me for a while :shock:

Now chomping on scampi and chips, washed down with remainder of rose opened last Sunday.
  • Oddjob62
    Had a brown bibshorts moment on the way home when i found out what happens when your bike goes faster than your legs can spin (on a fixed). It was very unpleasant (but fortunately just very scary).

Riding fixed is such a silly idea :p

Apart from that, great day. Great to see some new faces and some long time no see faces :D
  • stuaff
    edited July 2010
    Cracking day indeed. Lovely to see everyone again & meet some new people. And get dropped by them (!). At least the dropping happened a bit less quickly this time, thanks to the Squadra.
    LondonBairn: Don't buy Di2 then suggest it's not really worth it. Of course it's worth it :wink: That bike is indeed a Monster :D
    For coopster and anyone else who fancies a nice relaxing overnighter to Brighton. With cake and booze: fnrttc.blogspot.com The 'genteel ride' is on 23/24 July- Friday night next. Splendid company, quiet roads, gentle pace but the opportunity to hammer for those who want it. And did I mention the cake and booze? Perfect practice for those who claim to be unable to climb. Warning: this ride may contain traces of Ditchling Beacon, but hopefully the cake and booze will soften the blow :D
  • redvee
    Got a brown arm moment now, or is it red arm. Sunburnt arms and legs from pootling round the park and waiting outside the pub for CW to turn up and claim her drink from me. On the way back to Paddington the Garmin decided it had been out in the sun too long and threw a wobbly and lost all the data on it including the route back which was going to be different to the route to the park, I did have hopes of passing by Stamford Bridge. Cause of this and my heavy legs I was a little late for the intended train and was thinking of the extra I'd have to pay but the revenue enforcement office didn't bother me atall :).
    Good to see faces to names again and new faces. Yes, I did cheat and go through the middle of the park on the clockwise lap :oops:
  • londonbairn
    londonbairn Posts: 316
    Haha nice day, cant believe my bird went round with the brake shoes on the rims....will get her to join here.

See you all at the next one!
  • redvee
    Haha nice day, cant believe my bird went round with the brake shoes on the rims....will get her to join here.

See you all at the next one!

I wasn't her fave person when I said your bike was funded by the wedding fund. I got the death stare from her, even through her sunglasses. As much as I went the Di2, after playing with it on your bike, I'll stick to cables rather than wires for moving the mechs on my bike.
  • Ian.B
    Ian.B Posts: 732
    Cafewanda wrote:
    Now chomping on scampi and chips, washed down with remainder of rose opened last Sunday.

Hey,I've just had scampi and chips too! But I didn't get mine till 11.00 on account of having to go to Ikea in Wembley, and then to Ikea in Edmonton to get the bits that weren't in stock in Wembley. Sorry I didn't get the chance to say hello to you, I think I had go leave shortly after you arrived.

Good to meet people, and a nice spin round the park!
  • _Brun_
    Had a minor navigation fail on the way home and spun for my life along the A40. Good job I was mildly inebriated or I might've been a bit scared.

Hope everyone else made it home ok. Will try get pics up tomorrow if I find anything worthy of public consumption.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    The A3 roundabout to Wimbledon at night is certainly more interesting in the dark

Nice to meet new and old faces, great beer great times..seems I've a little more silly suntan lines now
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    amnezia wrote:
    FYI - Upper Richmond road is closed westbound, there is a special cycle only diversion route which gets you round it fairly easily.

Sorry a bit OT, but that diversion is the king of diversions ain't it?

Clearly signed, an interesting little route to know and specifically for cyclists. the only let down is right at the end where it dumps you at a junction back on the A205 where you can't turn really turn right as it's still one way at that point.
  • redvee
    prj45 wrote:

It was a little, turn right off Fulham High Street, then right, then left and supposedly left again. But as it was a cyclist diversion they dropped us out by a crossing so sort of guessed we'd use the crossing to get back onto the Upper Richmond Road. As careful cyclists we wouldn't consider just turning right would we :wink:
  • prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    redvee wrote:
    prj45 wrote:

It was a little, turn right off Fulham High Street, then right, then left and supposedly left again. But as it was a cyclist diversion they dropped us out by a crossing so sort of guessed we'd use the crossing to get back onto the Upper Richmond Road. As careful cyclists we wouldn't consider just turning right would we :wink:

Hmm, did you ride across the crossing? Offence under road traffic act 1983.

Only legal way to go right there at the moment is to get off the bike and walk across it which is a bit disappointing.

(BTW by king of diversions I meant luxurious, not onerous, it's actually very good, 'part from the end bit)
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    Great to see everyone, meet some new faces and one old one that's been covered in beard.

My journey home was rather quick and entirely unremarkable!
  • amnezia
    amnezia Posts: 590
    Nice to meet everyone and get in a few important laps for the SCR stats table.

I managed to puncture in Richmond Park which was a little bit tricky in the dark but made it in the end.