Whats wrong with your bike?

Comments

• El Diego
    El Diego Posts: 440
    Front mech was rubbing against the chain. Fortunately a nice mechanic working at a cafe stop on the Manc - Blackpool route repaired it and now everything is Kool & The Gang.
  • lastant
    lastant Posts: 526
    Noticed when replacing my chain that despite having a ten-speed cassette my indexing only covers the first nine gears. Sigh...

Had a bit of a fiddle with the barrel adjusters but couldn't get it to work. Anybody got a good guide on how to re-index (is that the right thing?!) a Bianchi road bike with full Shimano 105 set-up?

Pretty sure it's something to do with L-screws, H-screws and other bits...but an idiot's guide would be pretty handy. Thanks!
    One Man and LEJOG : End-to-End on Two Wheels in Two Weeks (Buy the book; or Kindle it!)
  • londonbairn
    londonbairn Posts: 316
    ROI Di2 - nothing, it's great :D

Wilier (commuter) - being repaired by the Bike Whisperer after a driver hit me, all paid for by the driver's insurance

Bianchi filling in as commuter at the moment) - when the Wilier is back, Dura Ace 7800 to be fitted.

I clean my bikes every weekend and check everything through, so nothing wrong so far touch wood
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172
    lastant wrote:
    Noticed when replacing my chain that despite having a ten-speed cassette my indexing only covers the first nine gears. Sigh...

Had a bit of a fiddle with the barrel adjusters but couldn't get it to work. Anybody got a good guide on how to re-index (is that the right thing?!) a Bianchi road bike with full Shimano 105 set-up?

Pretty sure it's something to do with L-screws, H-screws and other bits...but an idiot's guide would be pretty handy. Thanks!

Best bet is to download the installation instructions for a 105 rear mech from Shimano's website.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    lastant wrote:

Check out Park Tools' guide.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    Rolf F wrote:
    Cage spring bust on the derailleur of the Dawes. Still changes gear but a bit Skippy Longstocking.

Oh, I had that after a slight bike/bike/car interfacing. Discombobulated the thing and I managed to put the spring back. Wasn't too difficult, as it happens. This was on a Shimano 105, possibly a 5600.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • davis
    Sirrus:

Headset bearing seats failing. Damn integrated jobbies.
    Bottom bracket starting to grind a bit.
    Trashed alloy crank cap (thingy for preloading BB bearings).
    Pedals nearly destroyed.
    Laquer bubbling most annoyingly

Roubaix:

Headset bearings a bit mucky.
    Pedals/crank/BB tick annoyingly under load
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    I have nothing bad to say about the guys at Shorters. Always been OK with me.

Where is Cyclestore?

I've now sorted the front derailleur cable and put the water bottle cage on. Now for the ride home to check I've done as good a job as a 5 minute test ride says I've done.

Now only headset, bottom bracket, pedals and wheel to sort out.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • moonio
    moonio Posts: 802
    Pedals are creaking, brake pads seem a bit worn, brake cables stretched, I want new fast wheels...erm...otherwise Harry is wonderful as always... :D
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    I have nothing bad to say about the guys at Shorters. Always been OK with me.

Where is Cyclestore?

I've now sorted the front derailleur cable and put the water bottle cage on. Now for the ride home to check I've done as good a job as a 5 minute test ride says I've done.

Now only headset, bottom bracket, pedals and wheel to sort out.
    about half a mile down the road. opposite co-op by friends fish and chip shop. top of colney hatch lane.

popped in on the way home as ive got some play in some second hand fulcrums i bought there and jay said just to pop in tomorrow and he'll sort them out for me. they are a proper old fashioned bike shop
  • Norky
    Norky Posts: 276
    Spare child's bike

Now that's preparedness, you not only have a spare child, you a bike for it too.
    The above is a post in a forum on the Intertubes, and should be taken with the appropriate amount of seriousness.
  • itsbruce
    itsbruce Posts: 221
    Now that I've replaced the saddle with a Charge Spoon and flipped the stem, the only remaining issue is a slightly noisy ride. Need to inspect the chainline.
  • ex-pat scot
    ex-pat scot Posts: 939
    Norky wrote:
    Spare child's bike

Now that's preparedness, you not only have a spare child, you a bike for it too.

I have a large number of children and a large-ish number of children's bikes.

I quite often forget how many *.

I tend to scour eBay for local bikes from time to time, and pick up suitable-looking bikes cheaply when I can.

* 4 usually, but I have been known to acquire several more at times, and occasionally lose a few**

**children
    Commute: Langster -Singlecross - Brompton S2-LX

Road: 95 Trek 5500 -Look 695 Aerolight eTap - Boardman TTe eTap

Offroad: Pace RC200 - Dawes Kickback 2 tandem - Tricross - Boardman CXR9.8 - Ridley x-fire
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    my rear wheel goes left to right rather than round and round :( my mates sorting it today hopefully
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Fixie: new chain desperately needed and possibly a new sprocket too.

Roadie: Rear wheel needs a spoke replacing and the wheel trued after it broke halfway through Sunday's sportive. Once that's been done, it'd be nice to find out which part of the rear wheel/cassette makes that semi-regular clicky noise.
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    Hi,
    Tourer- could use new brake blocks and one rear mech limit adjuster needs some Loctite. Toe-straps worn

Commuter/WH- bar tape, rear 'guard, chainline could do with sorting. Could use a bell. Saddle is trashed, too...

Summerbike- Needs a back wheel, drivetrain and a decision on whether to rebuild it fixed or geared. Ought to have an S3X, to achieve both, but they are too spendy for me...

Cheers,
    W.
  • I have a rear rotor which is currently making an annoying swooshing noise with every wheel rotation. Must get that sorted out soon.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Engine severely down on power. May need to look at fuelling.

@WGWarburton - Toestraps? Bell? I'm confused.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    Had to replace the rear v-brake on the Sirrus as the damn spring broke, no way was I waiting 2 weeks to see if they might get a new spring in at the LBS - so I just bought a new unit and fitted it at work!!!! :shock:

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • dondare
    dondare Posts: 2,113
    Bike's mostly OK but tends to slow down markedly on hills and when going into the wind.
    This post contains traces of nuts.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,411
    dondare wrote:
    Bike's mostly OK but tends to slow down markedly on hills and when going into the wind.

Have you tried riding it in the opposite direction?
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    The rider is broken. It's always the rider. This week especially so.
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    edited July 2010
    Scott: nowt :D
    P-x: creaky headset
    Peugoet: knackered threaded headset, creaky bars, very dirty
    Pearson: chain could be quieter
    Klein: front brake needs new fluid
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • thel33ter
    thel33ter Posts: 2,684
    Kona - Rear mech is slightly bent so it doesn't like the second cog on the back, tyres a bit worn, disc rotors not true, wheels not true.

Trek - The front wheel, fork and brake is not attached to the steerer tube and rest of the bike because of a car that hit me, front wheel a bit wobbly.

Specialized - Headset a bit dead, RH shifter missed a click but the 1991 retro ride is working best at the moment.
    And now you know, and knowing is half the battle
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    05 Trek 1000 Custom build
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • davis
    thel33ter wrote:
    Trek - The front wheel, fork and brake is not attached to the steerer tube and rest of the bike because of a car that hit me, front wheel a bit wobbly.

You know, I probably wouldn't ride that one just now. You'd need some gnarly wheelie skillz dude.
    thel33ter wrote:
    92% of teenagers have turned to rap. If your one of the 8% that still listens to real music put this in your sig

Yes, I'm being pedantic, but you should write "you're" here. It's a contraction of "you are".
    Ah, that feels better.
  • thel33ter
    Happy? :twisted: :lol:

Anyway Trek may be getting replaced thanks to the gifts of insurance, then I'll have two roadies :D
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • davis
    Much better, though where you've written "rap" I think you mean "Early Gregorian Chant", but we can let that slide :twisted:
  • Valy
    Valy Posts: 1,321
    vorsprung wrote:
    None of my 3 bikes have any kind of problems at this current moment

The audax bike did have a mudguard problem ( see "The Bikes Weakest Part" blog) but I have replaced the bolt that fell off. Must get some new mudguards before big event at the end of July

The summer commute Orbea racing bike seems pretty much ok. I did a bit of maintenance on this bike back in spring but it has been trouble free since then.

The proper commuter bike with mudguards and Alfine had a puncture last week! First in 12,500km. This bike was new this year so I wouldn't expect too many problems

What tires? :D

And OMG - I was just gonna make a thread about my bike and then saw this! :lol:

I'm wondering - is my bike okay? The distance between the chainstays and the cranks is different on the two sides and the seatpost seems to be bent to the right relative to the rear wheel (looking head on from the handlebars) and I feel like one side of my body is tighter than the other as well as not sitting in the middle of the saddle, which makes me think of the bent seatpost and the different distance between the cranks and the chainstays.

:(

The BB creacks, though it is only a few weeks old.

Do you reckon you can bend the frame if you fall on the side and bend the crank? Like I did.

Guys, srsly. :cry::cry::cry:
  • thel33ter
    Valy wrote:
    Do you reckon you can bend the frame if you fall on the side and bend the crank? Like I did.

Guys, srsly. :cry::cry::cry:

Umm, I suppose that you could make the BB shell a tiny bit skew but it shouldn't happen unless you fell really hard.
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    Speedily Singular Thingy