Is Lance Armstrong a sociopath?

BikingBernie
BikingBernie Posts: 2,163
edited August 2010 in Pro race
Going by the following, he could well be. :wink:

Ask yourself these questions:

1. Do you often feel used by the person?

2. Have you often felt that he (or she) doesn't care about you?

3. Does he lie and deceive you?

4. Does he tend to make contradictory statements?

5. Does he tend to take from you and not give back much?

6. Does he often appeal to pity? Does he seem to try to make you feel sorry for him?

7. Does he try to make you feel guilty?

8. Do you sometimes feel he is taking advantage of your good nature?

9. Does he seem easily bored and need constant stimulation?

10. Does he use a lot of flattery? Does he interact with you in a way that makes you feel flattered even if he says nothing overtly complimentary?

11. Does he make you feel worried? Does he do it obviously or more cleverly and sneakily?

12. Does he give you the impression you owe him?

13. Does he chronically fail to take responsibility for harming others? Does he blame everyone and everything but himself?

And does he do these things far more than the other people in your life? If you answered "yes" to many of these, you may be dealing with a sociopath. For sure you're dealing with someone who isn't good for you, whatever you want to call him.

I like Martha Stout's way of detecting sociopaths: "If ... you find yourself often pitying someone who consistently hurts you or other people, and who actively campaigns for your sympathy, the chances are close to one hundred percent that you are dealing with a sociopath."

WHAT DO THEY WANT?

This is an interesting question. Of course most of our purposes are strongly influenced by our connections and affections with others. Our relationships with others, and our love for them, give us most of the meaning in life. So if a sociopath doesn't have these things, what is left? What kind of purposes do they have?

The answer is chilling: They want to win. Take away love and relationships and all you have left is winning the game, whatever the game is. If they are in business, it is becoming rich and defeating competitors. If it is sibling rivalry, it is defeating the sibling. If it is a contest, the goal is to dominate. If a sociopath is the envious sort, winning would be making the other lose, or fail, or be frustrated or embarrassed.

A sociopath's goal is to win. And he is willing to do anything at all to win.

http://www.youmeworks.com/sociopaths.html

Comments

• trtimothy
    trtimothy Posts: 117
    got to say I've yet to feel 'used' by lance armstrong...maybe I'm not investing emotionally enough in race reports?
    also willing to do anything to win? well that to be honest sounds just like most top athletes, so not sure why single out armstrong...if anything surely he's less of a sociopath as he hasn't doped (or at least doped to a level he's been caught at to avoid opening that can of worms)
  • Richrd2205
    Richrd2205 Posts: 1,267
    Bernie, catch up! There's been no such thing as a sociopath for years now!
    I think you'll find that Anti-Social Personality Disorder now covers both sociopathy & psychopathy, or at least it does in DSM IV & IV TR. DSM V will be out in 2012 & will prob change it all again.
    Good to see you using an appropriate, scientific way of asking the question. It's not as if these things are clearly defined anywhere, is it? Try pages 250 & 251 of this for a slightly more in depth view.

Another feature of personality disorders is the polarisation of reaction to the individual, that is people tend to experience the extreme of reaction & little in between. Now where do we see that?
    For the record, the behaviour & response thereto appears congruent with a Cluster B type PD, although not necessarily ASPD. & it would be harder to find a significantly worse & less well informed description of "sociopathy" than you have!
  • BikingBernie
    trtimothy wrote:
    got to say I've yet to feel 'used' by lance armstrong...maybe I'm not investing emotionally enough in race reports? also willing to do anything to win? well that to be honest sounds just like most top athletes, so not sure why single out armstrong...if anything surely he's less of a sociopath as he hasn't doped (or at least doped to a level he's been caught at to avoid opening that can of worms)
    Good one!

:lol:
  • BikingBernie
    Richrd2205 wrote:
    So what is your expert diagnosis of Armstrong's 'personality'. :wink:
  • Richrd2205
    Richrd2205 wrote:
    So what is your expert diagnosis of Armstrong's 'personality'. :wink:

You could try reading all of my above post to find out :wink:

Here, I'll help out:
    Richrd2205 wrote:
    For the record, the behaviour & response thereto appears congruent with a Cluster B type PD, although not necessarily ASPD
    You may also have seen me indirectly make the same point at least twice in the past....
  • Homer J
    Homer J Posts: 920
    Don't know about Lance but after reading that i think the Government is possible a sociopath :wink:
  • guv001
    guv001 Posts: 688
    Who cares what LA is.....Why not do something constructive and take a look at yourself and how you could improve yourself. I've got to say I've never felt the need to examine anyones personality either in day to day life or within celebrity/sports circles.
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    Cadel Evans is borderline special needs, I reckon.
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Who cares about LA any more? I'm more concerned about your obsessive behaviour Howard. OCD? Or something much more serious. Focussing on one person or thing above all others isn't healthy.
  • sampras38
    sampras38 Posts: 1,917
    Whether LA is liked or not, all I can see is BikingBernie is an obsessive nutter.
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    Who reallty cares what he is.
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,473
    Who Lance or BB? :wink:
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    sampras38 wrote:
    Whether LA is liked or not, all I can see is BikingBernie is an obsessive nutter.

He's even got his own bingo card.

tumblr_l4uec4vsmO1qcn3m5o1_r1_500.jpg
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Matt the Tester
    Matt the Tester Posts: 1,261
    antfly wrote:
    Cadel Evans is borderline special needs, I reckon.
    lol i would suport you saying that too. something doesnt seem right about him...

oh yes i know! he's a german!
    Coveryourcar.co.uk RT Tester
    north west of england.
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    Going by the following, he could well be. :wink:

Ask yourself these questions:

1. Do you often feel used by the person?

5. Does he tend to take from you and not give back much?
    Simple Answer is NO to these 2 questions and that Voids all the other questions.
    I avoid magazines with front cover pictures of him and any thing else is zapped.
    Not a penny of my money goes his way.
    I've told you before that I heard enough of the Bum in 1994 as he talked to his mechanics.

He is just another US celebrity that has no effect on my life except to make me turn down another street to avoid them.
    There are many other US celebrities (later International) that cause the same reaction. Beckham, Diana, etc. (home grown even)

This celeb comes into my sport and is hard to avoid and my interest is only to see what tricks this Magician has in store again.
    I think he has a biggie up his sleeve this year and it has taken a year for him to perfect the thing.
    After the Trick he pulled in 1999 I applauded and said that is clever and so very close to the one Bjarne Riis pulled earlier. Then it became a bore with the same trick another 6 years and Ullrich couldn't perfect his so good. (good old US knowhow)(well they caught up with the east Germans in the eighties didn't they)
    It has no effect on me but the Sport has suffered from it.
    Don't start complaining as I know what has happened with all these celebrities.
    Celebrities bring in the MONEY for the organisers, Media, and soveniers but never my money. Bucket :lol::lol::lol::lol:

PS - If he dies before October, then the ASO could give him a rememberance but to stop the TDF over such a minor person when they have never done so for the Real Greats of this Sport.
    Remember No TOUR then No MONEY :roll:
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • deejay
    sampras38 wrote:
    Is that because he can dig up the facts (which you don't like on your Planet) and is not blinded by the magicians tricks. ???????
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    this thread is certainly doing a good job of highlighting personality defects.
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • BikingBernie
    DaveyL wrote:
    Or maybe it just highlights the willingness of the Armstrong 'fanboys' to rise to the bait. :lol::lol::lol:
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    iainf72 wrote:
    sampras38 wrote:

He's even got his own bingo card.

tumblr_l4uec4vsmO1qcn3m5o1_r1_500.jpg

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Well played , sir!

I would have preferred to have seen 'ubermensch' in there, or anything from 'Nitzsche for Dummies'
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    DaveyL wrote:
    Or maybe it just highlights the willingness of the Armstrong 'fanboys' to rise to the bait. :lol::lol::lol:

So you're happy to admit you're trolling?

I'm wondering what will last longer through this Tour - Armstrong or the "BikingBernie" account.
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,473
    I'd imagine the odds are about equal, no?
  • sampras38
    sampras38 Posts: 1,917
    deejay wrote:
    sampras38 wrote:
    Is that because he can dig up the facts (which you don't like on your Planet) and is not blinded by the magicians tricks. ???????

Not in the slightest. I don't want to open yet another drug debate as it only goads people like BB, and if I had to bet my life on it I'd say LA probably has used in his career. It just doesn't bother me as much as some people. Even if LA comes out in the future and admits it.

Who cares...
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    By the same "criteria", you could ask if Hinault or indeed Merckx was also a sociopath or whether the nature of Anquetil's riding his way through his extended family was entirely normal either.
    However, I don't expect to see threads about their mental state appear any time soon.
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    deejay wrote:
    sampras38 wrote:

Deejay i think you are the best poster on here by some distance, the effect LA has on you is hilarious. An incoherent rambling melt down almost every time his name is mentioned.........you crack me up so you do. Last week it was the England football team this weeks its you .......keep it up mate.
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • ms_tree
    ms_tree Posts: 1,405
    I think you like the sound of your own voice! You could just have condensed that all into one word - he's a bully.
    'Google can bring back a hundred thousand answers. A librarian can bring you back the right one.'
    Neil Gaiman
  • Richrd2205
    LangerDan wrote:
    By the same "criteria", you could ask if Hinault or indeed Merckx was also a sociopath or whether the nature of Anquetil's riding his way through his extended family was entirely normal either.
    However, I don't expect to see threads about their mental state appear any time soon.
    I think that it's interesting how you get to the top in sport & whether you can manage to do that having a "normal" personality.
    Saying that, as you say, no-one's questioning other major winners' personalities or mental health.
    Furthermore, no-one's putting stupid links up to do so, quoting 1 source & claiming that it's "science" since one awful & vague & subjective interpretation of of something fairly concrete & objective backs their view.

It would be nice to see the OP have the courage of their clear convictions & argue a case since their current behaviour appears to be trolling & remarkably similar to behaviour that they claim to despise....
  • BikingBernie
    Richrd2205 wrote:
    It would be nice to see the OP have the courage of their clear convictions & argue a case...
    I wasn't trying to 'ague a case', nor did I make any claim for the scientific credentials of the link I provided, rather I was asking a question, largely because on certain other forums Armstrong is often referred to as being a 'sociopath'.

Another poster suggested that Armstrong is 'Cluster B type PD, although not necessarily ASPD', but it's not for me to argue for their 'diagnosis'. :wink:

As to the mental state of other top riders, wasn't it Chris Boardman who described his own need to win as being 'unhealthy and certainly not normal', or words to that effect?
  • deejay
    Ms Tree wrote:
    I think you like the sound of your own voice! You could just have condensed that all into one word - he's a bully.
    Me a bully.
    Good lord (if there is one) the wee scotsman I understand (well I've worked there as well) and he has the alternate comedy not far away annually. That he wouldn't understand even if his cow jumped over the moon.
    If I were a bully then I would be sledging people and the only one (except dumbo) has gone back to find I am correct and so not a word of reply.

Do tell what happened to the England Football did they win something.and schusssh don't talk about the scotish football team.
    I looked in yesterday and saw a real football match and stayed to watch it because the play went to all corners of the field and the ball went from one end to tother all the time.
    As Brucie says, "good game, good game"

Yup I do post an alternate reply and very seldom do I mention Drugs (except to say juice or Magic) as I leave that to the experts and I don't mind a correction if they justify it.

That "BUM" Armstrong I have watched and stood next to since it arrived in Europe with a big mouth and a big head to go with it. Then for all his backers expectations it was obvious to everybody he had No chance of winning a GT and amonst his many podiums there were very few on the top step.
    Please check out my favourite Armstrong Ego trip 1995 TDF stage 13.and the look on his face when he lost again. It always makes me smile when it comes to mind and sums up the man I know because 2 men escape and Outschakov won. Beauty.
    (you must have read about it but I doubt it as you know very little about the Texan)
    That was 2 days before FABIO CASARTELI, DIED - RIP.
    Armstrong became a big fish in a minor pond (it was then) and a celebrity over there and if the Media say so then it must be so, for suckers like you.

There you go, now laugh that off dumb ass.

Gubby, I feel sorry for you and Cuthbert that the height of your worship is to a Freak
  • jaysonski
    jaysonski Posts: 128
    bernie u seriously need to get out on a bike, get a grip man
  • dg74
    dg74 Posts: 656
    guv001 wrote:
    Who cares what LA is.....Why not do something constructive and take a look at yourself and how you could improve yourself. I've got to say I've never felt the need to examine anyones personality either in day to day life or within celebrity/sports circles.

Nailed it.