New bike :D

Comments

• j96_2
    j96_2 Posts: 188
    yamaha46 wrote:
    I guess i'll have to get a shock pump. and have a play.
    Will try and get a pic up for you. Don't have one to hand.
    Try and take one tommorow. :wink:

You managed to get one?
  • yamaha46
    yamaha46 Posts: 199
    edited November 2010
    Sorry for the delay. It's been raining and dark all week. Only have a phone camera.
    Here it is.
    Carrera Vengeance 18" / £250 Hallfords 50% :wink:
    Changes from standard are:
    Forks: Marzocchi All Mountain 3 Air 2006 / £59 ebay
    Tyre: Front/Maxxis High Roller 2.35 / £18 UK Bikestore
    Stem: Pro Frs 35mm 0Deg / £20 ChainReactionCycles
    Seatpost: DaBomb (center mount) / £13 CRC
    Crankset: Truvativ (dualring 22/32 with FSA Bash guard £15 CRC) (shortened chain)
    Saddle & Crankset from Brother. Inner tube chain stay protector.

Sold Dart 1s for £50 on ebay. :) Cranks, seatpost, saddle £32 ebay.
    Not bad for under £300 all in.
    All parts feel strong. Wide rim wheels seam tough if slightly heavy. Hydraulic brakes very good.
    p4pb5842278.jpg
    p4pb5842289.jpg
    p4pb5842283.jpg
    p4pb5842280.jpg
    Your forks are 120mm and mine are 130mm. Comparing the pics, mines obviously got too much air in. Not much sag but seamed to ride ok? The man in the shop put 30psi and said that would be right for me? Think maybe he didn't realise the marzocchi run lower pressure than other makes.
    What pressure are yours?
  • j96_2
    She looks nice :D mine are on just over 50 psi atm. they are just right for me lie that, nice and soft. :D
  • yamaha46
    Yea, I think i like mine on the firm side. got full travel when i tried some dirt jumps. My landings need some work though. :)
  • j96_2
    haha that helps :P you wanna be looking at way more than 30 psi then, the guy in the shop sounds like a bit of a no brainer :P
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    ARRRGH!!!! NOOO!!!!! lush bike.... looks lovely.... but get those forks off before you ruin your face!!!!

OK, exaggeration... It may well be fine, but forks onger than the frame was designed for can rip the headtube off dome frames, if they aren't strong enough. Be careful. Also, It may well be fine, but they can screw up the handling.
    I like bikes and stuff
  • yamaha46
    Yes i've been thinking about a new frame to suit the forks for that reason.
    As for the handling it feels much better like this. slacker head angle and higher front end are great improvement.
  • j96_2
    Same i've been looking at the new Orange elite frame :)
  • yamaha46
    Orange elite looks nice. Still only takes up to 120mm forks and a 70 head angle. I've been looking for something slacker that can handle bigger forks. Seams to be mainly steel frames that fit this spec. like: On One 456 SS, BFe, Ragley do an alu version, the mmmbop.

Orange Crush 120-150mm forks 67 head angle. :D Thats what i'd go for.
  • j96_2
    Was looking at the crush for a while but then the Elite came out and i love the look of it, it looks so racey :) Spoke to a guy at an Orange dealer in York and he said that the Elites sweet spot for the forks was 120mm but as mine are 120mm i dont care that much. I still love the crush, it looks so nice and cos its got the tapered headtube and its got all its strengthend parts on it its a very strong frame :) and as you can have upto 150mm forks on it its a bonus (Y)
  • yamaha46
    A heads up if your interested.
    Orange Crush on ebay Item number: 180580544597
  • j96_2
    Too Small matey, and old :P if i were to get a Crush frame it'd be a new one :) i'd need the 21" :)
  • hey guys ive got a vengeance too im planning on getting the 44 rlos they look real nice on the bike man, but you deffo shouldve got those v8s in white, thats what i got they look mint.

my bikes got a straitline stem, new grips, advantage and minion tyres, bar ends, raceface dh evolve crankset, some halo security skewers and an ethirteen srs chainguide

http://www.moredirt.co.uk/ratebike.php?id=25955 im like brand new to this site dunno how to insert pics so just go to my more dirt profile if you wanna gander
  • j96_2
    That looks really quite nice, and in response to the white pedals, they look great and i have been looking at some white superstar nano flats for it :) they look the dogs on my uncles P7 too :)
  • yamaha46
    Got a new part for my bike. :)

p4pb5869504.jpg

Quite a big part. :D
    Looks to be what i was looking for. It's a 2009 NS Surge frame.
    Review here: http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... y-10-35338
    Takes 120/160 forks 67deg head angle. Do anything frame.
    Looking forward to swapping the parts over.
    Getting the shop to fit a headset next week.
  • j96_2
    Awesome, this will be a great bike send me a pic when parts swapped, my new frame wont be happening quite as fast :L
  • yamaha46
    Better late than never. :) Bike shop took ages to sort headset, :x ended up taking it to another shop. Almost there now, just needs gears fitted.
    Also i'm going to have to find another Bottom Bracket as this frame is 73mm rather than 68mm. Maybe excuse to get new crankset. :)
    It feals really good to sit on, geometry wise. Can't wait to have a ride now. The FSA Orbit MX headset fitted is really nice and smooth.
    Also put on a shorter tougher stem as it was coming loose at the end of each ride before.
    And another ebay find, a pair of NS Ariel Pro pedals as was having trouble with previous. Nice and thin with sealed bearings, similar to Kona Wah Wahs. Really pleased with it anyway. :D
    Carrera Vengeance Frame for sale. Will put it on ebay tommorow.
    p4pb5910284.jpg
    p4pb5910290.jpg
    p4pb5910289.jpg
    p4pb5910286.jpg
  • j96_2
    Aweome, Looking gurd mate :) how you finding those forks on that frame? ;d
  • yamaha46
    Thanks. Not ridden yet as not quite finished. But look like they are well matched to it. It can take 120 to 160 forks. They worked well on the vengeance.
  • j96_2
    well thats good then :)
    Can i ask- is your seat orite? cos looking in the pictures it looks uncomfortable :lol: Just curious :D
  • yamaha46
    Yes that seat suits me well. didn't like the original carrera one, and out of the 3 in our shed this one worked best. Will upgrade sometime to a lighter one. Your'e photos look like you ride with the seat nose up, which looks painfull to me. Have tried various angles but find dead flat to be best for me.
    No water boses on the seat tube of this frame so the seat can slide all the way down, when i want it out of the way.
  • j96_2
    Cool, Yeh mine is but only ever so slightly, you can barely notice it! Its up the minute little bit :)
  • j96_2
    vpf983.jpg Took advantage of the fact that i live right next to a track and the snow today! was good fun :)
  • yamaha46
    Nice pic, Looks fun. Good for Practicing your traction control. :wink:
  • j96_2
    Haha cheers :) It was a good laugh
  • j96_2
    jr5seb.jpg New Truvativ hussefelt bars :)

24g7kmu.jpg New CatEye Velo cycle Computer :)

wrxhew.jpg New SRAM PC-850 Chain :)
  • j96_2
    Got a new cassette fitted too (SRAM PG-830) as the chain didnt take to old cassette and took her for a spin yesterday, smooth seemless gear changes make it so much of a better ride!! x2lxxg.jpg
  • chrisjnr19
    chrisjnr19 Posts: 231
    I've got to say, that bike is looking sweet considering what youve paid for it, wanted to know, how are the maxxis tyres?
    Also I think you might want to take a look over at On-One at one of their frames (if youre still looking at upgrading :P)
  • j96_2
    Cheers pal! the maxxis tyres are great! they are very grippy yet fast rolling and they are great in all weather conditions! in the snow (pics above) i was going as fast as i would on a normal day, extremely good and fairly cheap!! yeah i looked at on-ones but i really fancy the Orange Elite :)