Superstar

13»

Comments

• Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    You say "They look like HT", yes they do. But which? Are they the exact same pedals that you have? Or are you just saying that because it looks similiar from the side, it must be the same, even though all their range looks similiar from the side? And are you saying that's the alloy pin, cut-out cage, minimum weight one? And have you ever seen it in use and seen how it wears?

"Nothing wrong with my choice" "It's a bad spec". Which of your 2 comments here are you going to stand by? They can't both be right. If you chose a badly specced pedal, that's a bad choice. And if it was a good choice, then it must be a good spec despite your criticisms.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • weescott
    weescott Posts: 453
    I never implied they were the same pedals. The only point you raised was that they were magnesium with alloy pins and unsuitable for the job in hand which I disagree with. Hence linked mag speced bike. DH V AM.

I will stand by my original statement. On paper the Superstar pedals are a great choice. My choice in retrospect was wrong because I don't think they sell good pedals after using them. Not because they are made of magnesium, but for the multitude of faults I have had with them. Something you have never acknoweldged in my choice.
  • Northwind
    edited June 2010
    weescott wrote:
    I never implied they were the same pedals..

No, you didn't imply it, you STATED it.

"Nothing wrong with my choice. After all they are speced on DH rigs and I "only" ride AM. Or do you want to email the company linked and tell them their product choice is wrong?"

Either they're the same pedal, or they're not. Either their choice is the same as yours, or it isn't. If they're not the same pedals then the mind boggles as to why you think this is relevant "These pedals look a bit like mine from a distance therefore mine must perform the same as them"

Your mad nonsequitors are good fun :lol:
    Uncompromising extremist
  • weescott
    I was talking about magnesium body pedals. As I stated earlier. That and the alloy pins are the only only point you raised about the pedals being unsuitable.
  • weescott
    I was talking about magnesium body pedals. As I stated earlier. That , the slim profile and the alloy pins are the only point you raised about the pedals being unsuitable.
  • Northwind
    weescott wrote:
    I was talking about magnesium body pedals. As I stated earlier.

Not all magnesium pedals are the same :lol: Do you say "Steve Peat rides an aluminium bike therefore all aluminium bikes should be suitable for DH?"

Maybe you do.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • weescott
    Northwind wrote:
    weescott wrote:

Not all magnesium pedals are the same .

Exactly my point. Superstar mag pedals for me are rubbish. Finally you see the light!
  • Northwind
    Full circle again, you chose a pedal not suitable for your purpose. You bought a super light XC pedal for AM purpose. You've all but said it yourself but you still keep flapping around like a landed fish trying to deny it.

I've never said that magnesium pedals are unsuitable for DH. And I've never said that slim profile pedals are unsuitable for DH ( I don't think I've said anything about profile at all).

You on the other hand claimed that the pedals on the DH bike are a "similiar spec" when the only thing that might be comparable is the material (though we don't even know that's the case, for all you know those pics could be ally bodied. Not that it would be relevant even then, because it would still be a different pedal with different construction) Yet 2 seconds later you say you know not all mag pedals are made the same. Another top quality nonsequitor.

Anyway, I'm off to bed, you now have about 18 hours to further contradict yourself and make insane connections between unconnected products before my return, hopefully you can keep your standards up
    Uncompromising extremist
  • weescott
    manufacturer, profile, material....you are the one in denial. I keep repeating myself with you.

Northwind wrote:
    You on the other hand claimed that the pedals on the DH bike are a "similiar spec" when the only thing that might be comparable is the material (though we don't even know that's the case, for all you know those pics could be ally bodied. Not that it would be relevant even then, because it would still be a different pedal with different construction) Yet 2 seconds later you say you know not all mag pedals are made the same. Another top quality nonsequitor.

Wow you misquote well. Did you not read the link I posted?

Let me spell it out for you

"PedalsWellgo B087 Magnesium"

If magnesium pedals are good for DH then they are good for my AM riding. And yes I accept the soft nature of magnesium for rock strikes.

Like I said before. You couldn't state what sort of pedal the Superstar Nano's/Ultra mags are intened for. What is wrong with my choice if similar pedals are used for much more agressive riding than I do? It doesn't matter if they are the exact same pedal or not. They are in the same market.

Do you see a disclaimer on the Superstar web site that says "these pedals are for light XC only" Not suitable for AM riding, Even though they look like a lot of pedals on the market i.e Kona Wah Wah's etc we were actually lying on the other part of our site that these are in fact the same pedals as branded by other manufacturers but just cheaper?

Do your research and see how many companies use these pedals for DH before knocking my AM choice.
  • wobbem
    wobbem Posts: 283
    northwind and weescott need to get a life :roll:
    Don't think, BE:
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Northwind wrote:
    either way there's no point talking it over more.

:lol:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Northwind
    Nah, I'm having fun with this guy, it's interesting watching his brain unravel.
    weescott wrote:
    If magnesium pedals are good for DH then they are good for my AM riding.

Let me rephrase your position. "If some magnesium pedals are good for DH then all magnesium pedals are good for my AM riding"

Now let's do that again but with a different part

"If aluminium frames are good for DH then they are good for my AM riding"

So you'd buy an aluminium XC bike and take it downhilling then complain when it snapped because downhill bikes are made of aluminium too therefore all aluminium frames should be good for DH?

You can buy carbon fibre downhill bars, does that mean you should go downhilling on a set of Easton Monkeylite SLs? They're carbon after all and carbon is fine for DH, right?

Here's my position, and I think Supersonic's position, and Peter's position, and the position of everyone else with half a clue:

"Some magnesium pedals are strong. Some are weak. This depends entirely on how they're made. Assuming that all magnesium pedals perform the same makes no sense, and insisting that these magnesium pedals should be fit for DH or AM use just because some completely different magnesium pedals are makes no sense either"
    Uncompromising extremist
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    Northwind wrote:
    weescott wrote:

Not all magnesium pedals are the same :lol: Do you say "Steve Peat rides an aluminium bike therefore all aluminium bikes should be suitable for DH?"

Maybe you do.

Actually, he rides a crbon bike now :wink:

But, I agree exactly with what you are saying Northwind, just because it is the same material, doesn't mean they are the same strength.

Put it this way, do you except a lightweight XC rim to handle big drops and jumps and stuff the sae as a DH/FR rim, they are the same material after all :roll:
  • weescott
    Wow, talk about creating an arguement that doesn't exist. :roll:

Wobben is right. I need to get a life. I think I'll go for a ride on my not so superstar pedals that have started creaking like mad. :roll:

Apologies to the OP. I was trying to be constructive and not destroy this thread as Northwind has helped me do so well.
  • mrfmilo
    mrfmilo Posts: 2,250
    Bloody nora, fighting about pedals? :lol:

And Northwing/weescott, I have seen the Superstar mag pedals used on a few DH race bikes, but proper light ones.
  • Northwind
    mrfmilo wrote:
    And Northwing/weescott, I have seen the Superstar mag pedals used on a few DH race bikes, but proper light ones.

Yup, but was it the super light ones made entirely of holes with the alu pins? And how much life did they expect from them? I'd use the standard superstar mag ones for anything, they're good pedals but I wouldn't put anything super light on a trail bike let alone a DH bike, that's just sense.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • i have superstar nano tech mag pedals... heavy rider, heavy riding. bloody brilliant.