Superstar

Comments

• underdog
    underdog Posts: 292
    Superstar get more red stuff in come on :lol:
  • weescott
    weescott Posts: 453
    Inner pin placement is argueably the most important of pin placement. The further inboard your foot makes for a better Q factor, i.e effiency. It's maybe less important with flats than clippless and a personal choice but it is still a major factor....well for me at least. A weakness of the DMR's is they have a small platform, which is fine for my size 8's. That is another personal choice.

I'm comparing the Nano's to the V12's, and the Ultra Mags to the V12 mags. If there is a better comparison then I'll be the first person to jump on that bandwagon.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    There isn't a better comparison, that's the exact point I'm making- DMR don't do a superlight pedal, the V12 Mag might be their closest equivalent but that doesn't mean it's close. The V12 is equivalent to the Mag Lite not the Ultra Mag
    Uncompromising extremist
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    DMR pedals are just BMX pedals with MTB spindles.

And thats true, they were originally desinged for BMX
  • weescott
    Northwind wrote:
    There isn't a better comparison, that's the exact point I'm making- DMR don't do a superlight pedal, the V12 Mag might be their closest equivalent but that doesn't mean it's close. The V12 is equivalent to the Mag Lite not the Ultra Mag

Oh no. We can't be agreeing here can we? That's where I was saying if there was a stonger Ultra Mag it would be the ideal pedal. Inbetween the Ultra mag and the V12 mag.
  • largephil
    largephil Posts: 358
    I bought my Nanos because they come in Lime Green :roll:

Could'nt really give a monkeys if they have 1 pin extra or less, they look great and grip as much as I would ever want a flat to grip.
  • peter413
    weescott wrote:
    Northwind wrote:

Oh no. We can't be agreeing here can we? That's where I was saying if there was a stonger Ultra Mag it would be the ideal pedal. Inbetween the Ultra mag and the V12 mag.

But the Ultra Mag is a lightweight pedal, the V12 Mag is not.

Strong, light, cheap. Pick 2
  • Northwind
    weescott wrote:

The Mag Lite then? Same platform size, same pin placement, steel pins and a stronger cage.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • peter413
    Northwind wrote:
    weescott wrote:

The Mag Lite then? Same platform size, same pin placement, steel pins and a stronger cage.

And still much lighter than V12's
  • weescott
    You mean the ultra mags with Ti spindles? aka mag lites? Comparible to the V12mags with Ti spindles?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    It all depends on your needs.

For rocky, pretty hard terrain, aluminium pins would not be for me and I would not have that SS pedal. But for light XC work, the reduced weight of that pedal may be an advantage to some.

The MG1 does everything I need though. Good pins, not too bad on the strength front, light and a great price.
  • Northwind
    No, I mean exactly what I say, the Mag Lite

http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_ ... cts_id=129

It's their lightweight trail pedal, their direct V12 competitor and beater. The fact that their alu pedals also beat the V12 is just a coincidence ;)

And no, the Ultra Mags with ti spindles are not comparable to the V12 mags with ti spindles, the V12s are still 354g so a heck of a lot heavier than the 260g Ultra Mags. The ti V12s are heavier than the cromo Mag Lites! They are for different purposes, the V12 regardless of spindle is a trailbike pedal but the Ultra Mag is a weightweenie's pedal. I wouldn't have one myself tbh.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • weescott
    So the weightweenie Ultra mag is suitable for and comparable to what?
  • Northwind
    edited June 2010
    It's comparable to no DMR pedals, they just don't do one like it :? I don't know of a comparable pedal though I'm sure they're out there.

It's suitable for people who want an exceptionally light pedal and don't mind that it's not as strong as heavier pedals. People who want a very light XC bike I guess, though they'd mostly go clipless. Clearly not for people who expect to bash pedals regularily.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • weescott
    I know DMR don't do one like it because it is so light.; the most comparable is the DMR V12mag, but the Superstar pedal is cheaper and lighter. All part of the Superstar ethos.

For clipless the closest is the now "old" 266g Eggbeater SL's with the new ones weighing 280g.

An XC weight weenie wouldn't be riding flats. The Superstar pedal is more suited to the AM rider. Heck I know people who ride DH and used the V12 mag. Not your normal weight weenie crowd is it?
  • Northwind
    weescott wrote:
    An XC weight weenie wouldn't be riding flats. The Superstar pedal is more suited to the AM rider. Heck I know people who ride DH and used the V12 mag. Not your normal weight weenie crowd is it?

I'm banging my head against a wall here aren't I? The V12 Mag is not and never has been a weight weenie's pedal, that's the entire point here. Once again, just because the closest thing DMR does to it is the V12 doesn't mean they're anything close, it's not just the same thing only lighter. The closest thing On One do to a downhill bike is the 456SS, does it make sense to compare it to a DH bike just because it's the nearest match? Of course it doesn't. Same thing here.

Your assumption seems to be that all flat pedals are for AM use, which is daft, the Ultra Mag isn't suitable for that at all.

If I was to build a super light XC race bike, I'd maybe put these Ultra Mags on as I can't use clipless, my knee's knackered. My mate Andy might do the same as he just hates clipless. Not every weight weenie rides clipless, and for those who don't, and don't plan to bash rocks, there's this pedal.

I don't think I'm going to take this round in another circle, this whole thead has gone absurd. If you believe this pedal's an AM pedal you are out of your head, and likewise if you believe the V12 Mag is a weight weenie pedal you're also out of your head. I can't decide if that's the issue here or if you're just trolling but either way there's no point talking it over more.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • weescott
    Like I said before. what is the pedal designed for? You can't answer that question!
    What is is comparable to? You can't answer that question either!

So you cant say the AM category is out of the equation when you can't decide what category it fits into: "People who want a very light XC bike I guess, though they'd mostly go clipless". As such you can't make comments about durability if you don't know what the pedal is designed for or used for in the first place.

I haven't stated my riding style or the bike my pedals are fitted to. Don't be so quick to judge others and their cycling needs.

Please tell me why I am daft for thinking the ultra Mag is suited for an AM rider? Not suitable for XC? Trail? DH? A biit of everything aka AM? Oh wait you don't know as you stated earlier.

You picked up on one point of my post which was my experience and knocked it. Try and be constructive and not critical.
  • Northwind
    weescott wrote:
    Please tell me why I am daft for thinking the ultra Mag is suited for an AM rider? Not suitable for XC? Trail? DH? A biit of everything aka AM? Oh wait you don't know as you stated earlier..

OK, fair enough, let's keep going,it's worth a giggle :lol: I shall now don my Ranting Hat.

Why you are daft. It is an extremely lightweight pedal with lightweight construction. It has aluminium pins, which are obviously unsuitable for bashing off rocks but are lighter than steel. It took an already very light chassis, already lighter than the V12 mag you keep trying to compare it to, and then drilled bits out of it to further reduce the weight, which inevitably reduces the strength. Yet you expected the same strength from one of the lightest pedals there is as you expect from a pedal weighing the best part of twice as much, and you expected the aluminium pins to be as strong as steel. You didn't want a pedal, you wanted a miracle, hand forged by Jesus, painted by the Buddha and assembled by Allah in their sweatshop in Valhalla under the watchful eye of supervisor Vishnu

Then you say "If only it were stronger", when the pedal you say you want exists and you chose another one for reasons which can only possibly be daft. You went out and chose the superlight, lower strength pedal over the heavier, stronger pedal, but you're not prepared to accept the sacrifice of strength which you chose. And you wish that the Ultra Mag was, well, exactly like the Mag Lite which you didn't buy.

So once again. It is a very light pedal designed for people who don't expect to bash it off things and value light weight over strength, ie XC riders who want a light weight pedal but don't want clipless. You even quoted me saying that! So how you can fail to understand is a total mystery. It's a pedal designed for pedalling only not for surviving rocks, and so it's perfect for people who want to pedal but not smack rocks. It shouldn't need to be explained in all honesty, any more than it should need to be explained what a 100mm XC frame is for, or a 1450g wheelset.

And why are you obsessed with comparing it to other pedals? You don't need to be able to say "This is just like that" to see what it's for. The fact that I don't know of anyone else making such an exceptionally light pedal doesn't change the job it's for- it doesn't suddenly become something it's not just because you can't find anything else to compare it to.

Put it simpler- I don't have anything to compare the space shuttle to, but I don't compare it to a jumbo jet instead just because that's the closest match I can think of, and I don't assume it can't go into space just because a jumbo jet can't. DMR don't make space shuttles so I guess I could compare the space shuttle to a V12 since it's probably the closest match.

I can't be constructive in the face of someone who's doing something daft with such total commitment. You bought the wrong pedal and you're blaming the manufacturer not yourself, and even now though you know perfectly well the pedal wasn't durable enough for your use you're still maintaining that it's designed for that purpose rather than accepting the obvious truth that it wasn't. I mean, you're the last person who should need to wonder whether it's a tough AM pedal, you know it isn't from first hand experience.

The only possible constructive thing to do here is for you to develop a sense of responsibility for your own foolish decisions, it might help you avoid making more
    Uncompromising extremist
  • peter413
    Northwind :lol:

Lets put it really simply for you:

would you compare a XC race tyre that weighs 400g to a DH tyre weighing 1.3kg. No, and why, because they are completely different things.

One is a much lighter tyre that has less grip, less rolling resistance and is very weak. This is the Superstar.

The other is a very heavy tyre that has loads of grip, loads of rolling resistance and is very very tough. This is the DMR.

Simple enough for you. I shall asume not so....

YOU CHOSE THE WRONG PEDAL!!!!
    I think that should be simple enough :lol:
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I think that is what he is saying Peter...
  • wobbem
    wobbem Posts: 283
    erm
    Been running Superstar Switch hubs since Janurary, with the 9 & 10 mm thru axels. Worked a treat stiffening up the front end on my 29er but the bearings are shot - in 5 months....? Ok I'm racing them but 5 months ..... :?
    But I did run planet X before them and they lasted even less. Maybe its me. :roll:

Also used their chain set which look bling in red, still running the small and the large but the middle wore out, got those at the end of Feb 2010. Using a middleburn middle ring now, see how long that lasts.
    Don't think, BE:
  • peter413
    supersonic wrote:
    I think that is what he is saying Peter...

I know, but doesn't seem to be getting the message so thought I would try and put it simplar :wink:
  • Northwind
    I find your lack of words disturbing.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • peter413
    I find the fact someone comparing a really heavy pedal with a really light pedal disturbing and thinking they are the same thing
  • spongtastic
    spongtastic Posts: 2,651
    they'd be perfect if the floating rotors were finally available.
    Visit Clacton during the School holidays - it's like a never ending freak show.

Who are you calling inbred?
  • weescott
    Northwind wrote:
    ["]waka waka waka

How did I miss this post.

Anyhoo.

If I am so daft why is a similar spec'd pedal on DH rigs? I never said I expected it to last, in fact I even stated that I never expected it to last that well. no mag pedal is going to last well to rock strikes. Yes the Aluminium pins are a bad choice. Light weight at the expense of durability. It's one of my complaints about the pedal. I never said that I expected the same strenghth hence "if only it was a bit stonger". You even said the nano was the stonger version but I have seen these on DH rigs and fair much worse...but that isn't much of a comparison. After all, mag pedals on DH rigs won't last...right?
  • Northwind
    weescott wrote:
    Yes the Aluminium pins are a bad choice

So you finally accept you made a bad choice. Well done.

2 questions about "a similiar pedal on DH rigs". 1) who is doing this and 2) how long do they expect it to last?
    Uncompromising extremist
  • weescott
    I didn't finally accept anything. It's a bad spec as I stated/implied many times before,

very similar pedals here:

http://www.yt-industries.com/shop/index ... i9cot69k25
  • Northwind
    No, it's a bad spec for what you wanted it to do. Seriously, banging my head against a wall here, it's not difficult to grasp surely? Especially when there's a wide range of stronger pedals available. Your only complaint seems to be that superstar offered you a choice.

Lets hear more about those pedals on the bike you linked, have you seen those in action? What's the material? Who are they made by? Or is it just a picture of another flat pedal that looks a bit similiar?
    Uncompromising extremist
  • weescott
    They look like HT industries ie. same as Superstar. Slim profile DH mag pedals. Nothing wrong with my choice. After all they are speced on DH rigs and I "only" ride AM. Or do you want to email the company linked and tell them their product choice is wrong?