Superstar

chrischris1315
chrischris1315 Posts: 135
edited June 2010 in MTB general
What a great bunch of guys :D
I'd heard about how good there componentry was and how quickly it comes straight to your door, but i was stunned when my new red grips (colour match) turned up today when I had ordered them after 2am on a sunday.
And i got free haribo as well :D
Superstar i'm loving it :mrgreen:

chris
GT Zaskar mmmmm yummy!

Comments

• peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    Your missing Superstars as an option :lol:
  • FSR_XC
    FSR_XC Posts: 2,258
    I have bought lots of pads from them, all great value for money - Juicy 3's (old bike), Hayes (for a mate) and Elixir (new bike). Organic pads are good, but wear much quicker than OEM. Sintered wear similar / better than OEM with similar / slightly lower performance. Kevlar will be fitted in the next week or so, but I've heard very good things from friend's about these.
    Grips - excellent value and comfy.
    Wheels - easier to maintain than the original wheels I had on my FSR XC, running smoother and better looking. They were a little heavier (cheapest set they do), but were also more robust.
    Disc - no difference in performance to OEM.

Had 2 problems with them in around 20 orders.

1. They sent the wrong pads - organic instead of kevlar. These were returned and replaced without hassle.

2. Seal went on the rear hub of a set of wheels I bought from them. They did not feel it was a warranty claim, but replaced the seal anyway - it cost me the return post of £6.50.

Absolutely no complaints from me - Superstars!
    Stumpjumper FSR 09/10 Pro Carbon, Genesis Vapour CX20 ('17)Carbon, Rose Xeon CW3000 '14, Raleigh R50

http://www.visiontrack.com
  • JonnyN
    JonnyN Posts: 181
    fantastic service....great prices!
    "Time you enjoy wasting, is not a waste of time"

"I'm too young to be too old for this shit"

Specialized FSRxc Expert 2008
    Kona Stinky 2008 (Deceased)
    Trek Scratch Air 8 2010 (Work in Progress)
  • underdog
    underdog Posts: 292
    Great service and great prices my only complaint is everything I want isn't there, red discs and red rims being 2 examples I can think of I have come accross of late that were out of stock (or not even listed) when I was ready to order.
  • Splottboy
    Splottboy Posts: 3,695
    And there's me, gonna order sum red stuff...

Gotta be CRC then.
  • underdog
    underdog Posts: 292
    Splottboy wrote:
    And there's me, gonna order sum red stuff...

Gotta be CRC then.

Worth checking as this was over the last few weeks, but the picture of those lovely red disks they have on their site has taunted me since I first seen it, they are never listed when I look :evil:
  • Splottboy
    Splottboy Posts: 3,695
    Red Rum...Red Rum...Red Rum...

I'll have another look. TA!

Red Rum...Red Rum...Red Rum...
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Well I ordered a Headset Monday morning and I was very annoyed when it didnt turn up this morning

Come on Superstar get a grip what happened to the good old days when I ordered some pads on thursday afternoon and they arrived friday morning. If its not here tommorow I am going to a proper store like Winstanleys or Dave Hinde.

You can always guarantee the delivery time from them ie they deliver when they feel like it not when you want it. Thats the proper way to run a business treat the customers like crap. :wink:
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • fanatic278
    fanatic278 Posts: 95
    FSR_XC wrote:

2. Seal went on the rear hub of a set of wheels I bought from them. They did not feel it was a warranty claim, but replaced the seal anyway - it cost me the return post of £6.50.

Absolutely no complaints from me - Superstars!

That'd be enough to piss me off.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    I've bought a few things from superstar, chain guide, pads, pedals. The chain guide is great for the cash, some of the pads were a little iffy, but delivery time is spot on. Not tried the pedals yet, but i'm impressed with the finish etc.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Got a pair of Nano thru pins on order from them, from what i can tell they seem really down to earth. Website was a bit fiddly to order form like.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    I've said good, since my own experiences with them have been great, but I do know some people who've had bad experiences and SS didn't exactly shower themselves in glory. So I'm on the fence but I still recommend the brake pads to anyone who'll listen and I'll probably buy more of their stuff in future.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • weescott
    weescott Posts: 453
    I haven't had the best of luck with them

Low grade Ti bolts that round easily
    pedals which fall off the axel
    pedal bodies put on the wrong way round
    very slow warranty turn around (over 3 weeks)
    warranty repair work poorly done (bits missing, lack of grease)
    Pedal bodies (ultra mags) and pins are made of cheese.
    Pedal axel's poor quality
    Pedal allen key sizes out slightly requiring some brute force to install (Nano's and Ultra mags)
    Anodising wears off quickly
    Grips don't last.

Not a company I can recommend. :(
  • Northwind
    weescott wrote:
    Pedal bodies (ultra mags) and pins are made of cheese

If you choose to buy a super light pedal with a magnesium cage and alloy pins you can hardly complain that they're not strong, you've made a weight over strength decision and it sounds like you've made the wrong one tbh.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    edited June 2010
    Northwind wrote:
    weescott wrote:

If you choose to buy a super light pedal with a magnesium cage and alloy pins you can hardly complain that they're not strong, you've made a weight over strength decision and it sounds like you've made the wrong one tbh.
    Yeah, magnesium is a very soft metal however it's produced.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • peter413
    Northwind wrote:
    weescott wrote:

+1

Choose the right kit for your riding
  • weescott
    I didn't have a strength problem with my old V12 Mags.
  • peter413
    Which also have smaller bodies so you are not going to hit them as much.

Have you thought that you may have hit something harder and faster than with the V12's :wink:
  • weescott
    The superstar pedals have thinner bodies than the DMR's so in theory I would hit them off rocks less. You expect some pedal damage, ripped pins etc...but they seem to use a very soft (i.e. cheap) Alu.
  • peter413
    They are much wider though.

I went from V8's to Nano's so I know what exactly what the bodies are like (width, thickness etc.)
  • largephil
    largephil Posts: 358
    Just moved from V8's to Nano's. Not tested the Nanos strength properly yet, maybe because they are slimmer profile they clear the ground beter but the pedal does feel like a bigger and more secure platform. +1 for Superstar here, good kit and great value.
  • patchesuk
    patchesuk Posts: 96
    Just received my first delivery from Superstar... speedy delivery, free haribo and amazing quality & price!

Can't wait to get the bits on my bikes!
    Think I need a bigger Garage.
  • Northwind
    weescott wrote:
    I didn't have a strength problem with my old V12 Mags.

V12 mags have steel pins, a thicker body and weigh 434g with the steel axle. Ultra mags have aluminium pins and weigh 310g claimed with the steel axle, so there's a heck of a lot less metal in them. It's not a very good comparison.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • weescott
    If anyone is considering V12 mags then they are in the same market as Ultra mags. Both lightweigh flat pedals. A perfectly could comparison even with the differences.
  • Northwind
    edited June 2010
    Except that the ultra mag weighs about 2/3ds as much as the Wellgos :roll: <edit, meant DMRs!> V12s aren't light by any stretch of the imagination.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • weescott
    The Wellgo DMR copies that don't have the same level of grip? V12 mags are reasonbly light for a flat magnesium pedal which are in the same price range as the Ultra mags. Like I said before; a perfectly good comparison.
  • Northwind
    Oops, slip of the tongue, I meant to say DMRs- though of course all the DMR pedals are Wellgos.

But, no, they're not reasonably light, they're heavy for a magnesium pedal of their price. You're making a comparison with a pedal that's 2/3ds the weight, that's an enormous difference.

Now a good comparison would be Wellgo's MG1s, which have a better platform shape IMO and better grip because of the superior pin placement, and weigh about 50g less while also costing half as much, while still being properly trail tough.

Or if you want to stick with Superstar, their Nano Techs are an ALUMINIUM pedal that weighs only 10 grams more, and costs half as much, as well as being thinner and having better grip.

The V12 Mags are a perfectly decent pedal, they're just too expensive and too heavy. But expecting the same strength from a far lighter pedal is nonsense I'm afraid. And buying pedals with aluminium pins then complaining they're soft is beyond ridiculous.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • weescott
    I have to disagree about the MG-1's. They are good VFM but they are no where near as good as the V12's. The V12's have 4 extra pins that make all the difference. The V12's are expensive I agree but still some of the best pedals you can get.

Yes I am comparing a pedal that is heavier but its the same type of pedal for the same price range. That is why the Ultra Mags are so appealing. Like I said before, I expect some damage from mag pedals (I used V12 mags and MG-1's for a couple of years)

Should I be doing a different style of riding for Ultra mags as I should for MG-1's or V12 mags? No. They are all in the same category. If the Ultra mags had a slightly beafier build at the expense of a little weight and a better build quality then they would be a much better pedal. I like the profile of the Ultra Mags and the weight, but that's about it.
  • peter413
    Grip doesn't come from the number of pins though. It comes from the layout and the pins themselves.

MG-1's are much grippier than any DMR pedal and last longer as they have better bearings.

And the copies have just as much grip as the 'real' ones

And ultra mags are sold as a light weight pedal, not as a hardcore one. If you want a hardcore SS peal, thats what the Nano's are
  • Northwind
    edited June 2010
    weescott wrote:
    The V12's have 4 extra pins that make all the difference.

Well, 1 per side, unless you count the dimples in the middle as pins. But the extra pin and one of the others in the wrong place, right on the inside edge of the pedal, while the MG1 has a pin more central instead.

I don't think we're going to agree here, you say they're in the same category but you also say they'd be better if they were stronger- it's that lighter construction that puts them in a different category with the huge weight difference. Superstar's tougher trail pedals are the Nanos, and their tough-but-light V12 equivalent is the Mag Lite. DMR don't do a pedal in the same bracket as the Ultra Mags.
    Uncompromising extremist