My punani hurts

Comments

• sarajoy
    sarajoy Posts: 1,675
    moonio wrote:
    I generally cycle in a dress and leggings, but will check out the padded knickers
    and as the dress would cover padded shorts I may be tempted to try these again...just my ars* is huge and i don't particularly want to wear something that makes it look bigger!!!!
    Don't worry, I'm 'ample' too ;)
    I can get my padded shorts on under tightish jeans, without being obvious - so a skirt should be fine - the padding is mostly under you, it doesn't follow the curve right up the back..!
    4537512329_a78cc710e6_o.gif4537512331_ec1ef42fea_o.gif
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    moonio wrote:
    I generally cycle in a dress and leggings, but will check out the padded knickers
    and as the dress would cover padded shorts I may be tempted to try these again...just my ars* is huge and i don't particularly want to wear something that makes it look bigger!!!!

:lol::lol::lol:

I feel your pain. In reality, I find that the pad doesn't extend far enough backwards to actually make my arse look any bigger. And hey, it's pretty big already, what difference is a few mm going to make! :D

Leggings are about as good as it gets in the non-cycle-specific-clothing world. Try to avoid knickers with lacy trim around the leg-holes, shorts-y ones are often better than the classic ones, but beware shorts-y ones with a central seam. Ouch. M&S used to sell some great ones in a really silky stretchy fabric.
  • Matt the Tester
    Matt the Tester Posts: 1,261
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Punani
    Also a saddle with a slot down the middle is far, far more comfortable than a flat one if the irritation is really in your delicate areas.

God, I love this thread!
    lol im thinking the same thing, waiting on the pics now!

we'll judge if you got a fat arse ;)
    Coveryourcar.co.uk RT Tester
    north west of england.
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    God, I love this thread!
    lol im thinking the same thing, waiting on the pics now!

we'll judge if you got a fat ars* ;)

This isn't the thread you're looking for.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    edited June 2010
    See this is evident that all girls playing sports or participating in sporting activity should go commando all the time.

Moonio, the buckwild antics of last night haven't got anything to do with riding the bike. You may have been riding something but its possible that riding the bike didn't result in the subsequent pain

Punani, a much enjoyed word from my youth. Love it. Hours of fun saying that one. I'll be chuckling to myself all the way home.

When in lycra all girls should go commando. Punani's be warned!

AND I'm done.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Speaking of aquaplaning, an ex of mine used this saddle and liked it. Reeeeally liked it.

Just a thought :wink:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172
    moonio wrote:
    What can i do about saddle sore and kickers rubbing my skin raw on the cycle commute,

Rub it better?
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    sarajoy wrote:
    moonio wrote:
    Don't worry, I'm 'ample' too ;)
    I can get my padded shorts on under tightish jeans, without being obvious - so a skirt should be fine - the padding is mostly under you, it doesn't follow the curve right up the back..!
    Another ample :oops:

Have you tried changing your saddle position. Not that it's helped me so far. I've tried normal knickers, padded knicker and padded shorts and it doesn't make any difference. But I've read elsewhere it's something to try.
  • BentMikey
    BentMikey Posts: 4,895
    A sore rear is exactly why I don't ride an ass hatchet.
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    moonio wrote:
    :D

I think you ladies seriously underestimate the attractiveness of a full-bottom for blokes. You say fat, we say shapely!
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    edited June 2010
    kelsen wrote:
    moonio wrote:
    :D

I think you ladies seriously underestimate the attractiveness of a full-bottom for blokes. You say fat, we say shapely!

This!

sir+mix-a-lot+baby+got+back.jpg
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • clanton
    clanton Posts: 1,289
    Reading this thread brings two conclusions:

1. It is a Friday afternoon and no-one is feeling productive

2 Men really do think about only one thing.
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    clanton wrote:
    Reading this thread brings two conclusions:

1. It is a Friday afternoon and no-one is feeling productive

2 Men really do think about only one thing.

1. Yup!

2. mmm...carbon...
  • This thread should be made into a sticky.....
  • suzyb
    Just like the keyboards of the male readers.
  • Deegs
    Deegs Posts: 74
    "Likeable" saddles etc....

my wife found same effect from riding in jeans. Of course I burned all her jeans immediately- can't risk being upstaged by a piece of faded denim
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,412
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    AND I'm done.

Keep that sort of thing to yourself, eh?
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • palaeobore
    palaeobore Posts: 21
    These are great for wearing under stuff:

http://www.minx-girl.com/products/terry-liner-short/74/

Terry also make really good women-specific saddles and give suggestions about which saddles suit which bike type/riding position.
    A life lived in fear is a life half lived.
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    I would suggest

Narrower saddle - try before you buy

Cotton underwear if you don't want padded shorts - cooler and less sweat makes your skin less likely to rub. If you do go for padded shorts try before you buy

Chamois cream - at least until the skin heals - cools and contains silicone - less rubbing
  • Boy Lard
    Boy Lard Posts: 445
    Not all men are the same. I cringe at some of the replies on here despite the fact they may only be made in jest. I can sympathise with your problem and commend you for broaching a sensitive subject on an open forum.

I love my padded shorts, which go on under my baggy pants, they have made a massive difference to my riding enjoyment. The biggest difference other than that was getting the saddle in the right place though. Took me a good while of a little bit back, a little bit forward, tilted a bit, no no no, pins and needles where I shouldn't have them, tilt it the other way a bit........

One thing I don't get though, and maybe this is a male thing, I honestly don't give a crap what I look like so long as I am comfortable. Same with my car, or any other tool I have to use. I just need it to do a job not look pretty.

I got scalped badly today by a lady in lycra on a very nice looking road bike. I didn't notice what shorts she was wearing, it's just sexy as hell seeing a woman in perfect control of a bike, owning the road and everyone on it and I apologise if that comes across as sexist, it's just true, for me at least.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,412
    +1 BL. To help heal everything up, I am told that Sudocrem is a wondrous thing for any sore bits. Works a treat on our 11-month old and if it's good enough for her...
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Boy Lard
    Boy Lard Posts: 445
    I wish I'd have remembered sudacrem.

It's one of my 2 favourite things about having small children, that and always having a handy supply of wet wipes. :D :!:
  • stickman
    stickman Posts: 791
    You shouldn't have to be going through all this, it must be down to saddle width for bike type, saddle position, saddle height.
    Bikes, saddles and stuff

http://www.flickr.com/photos/21720915@N03/
    More stuff:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/65587945@N00/

Gears - Obscuring the goodness of singlespeed
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    +1 for Sudocreme
  • suzyb
    rjsterry wrote:
    +1 BL. To help heal everything up, I am told that Sudocrem is a wondrous thing for any sore bits. Works a treat on our 11-month old and if it's good enough for her...
    It also works for my 93 year old gran :wink:
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    suzyb wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:

So longs she doesn't ask you to help her apply it...
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    I've skipped most the thread and have to say buy padded shorts!! but there is a twist. You don't need to go down the Lycra everything on show route.

Pick up some mountain bike gear, endura humvees are a great start and they make a ladies cut. They come in normal or 3/4.

I've done several thousand miles in mine, they are perfect.
  • rml380z
    rml380z Posts: 244
    If it' just the size of the padding in shorts that bothers you, check out triathlon shorts. Since they are designed for off- bike flexibility, the insert is far less nappy-like than regular cycle shorts.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    iPete wrote:

Pick up some mountain bike gear, endura humvees are a great start and they make a ladies cut. They come in normal or 3/4.

I've done several thousand miles in mine, they are perfect.

I can second that, very comfortable and hard wearing. I've used mine with the padded shorts that come with them and my Spesh padded shorts, both work well.

Also you can try pointing the front of the saddle down slightly, not too much just enough so your weight is more on your sit bones and the front is out the way.
  • suzyb
    Aidy wrote:
    suzyb wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:

So longs she doesn't ask you to help her apply it...
    That's the carers job.