My punani hurts

moonio
moonio Posts: 802
edited June 2010 in Commuting chat
What can i do about saddle sore and kickers rubbing my skin raw on the cycle commute,
I dont want to wear padded shorts and have tried going commando, which was quite comfortable but seemed a bit 'wrong'

Are there any creams etc that I can use? I am currently using boots botanics body butter to sooth my poor skin, but was wondering if there was a cycling specific cream that works during the ride to reduce chaffing etc. :oops:

Comments

• moonio wrote:
    What can i do about saddle sore and kickers rubbing my skin raw on the cycle commute,
    I dont want to wear padded shorts and have tried going commando, which was quite comfortable but seemed a bit 'wrong'

Are there any creams etc that I can use? I am currently using boots botanics body butter to sooth my poor skin, but was wondering if there was a cycling specific cream that works during the ride to reduce chaffing etc. :oops:

Erm, why not wear padded shorts? Be kind to your punani.
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    Ummmmmmmm.....

Well, my advice would be

a) wear padded shorts

b) go commando!

What are you currently wearing? Have you had your sit-bones measured for saddle sizing? What saddle do you currently use?
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    edited June 2010
    Pics? Else it didn't happen...
  • moonio
    I think padded shorts are really ugly, I would love to go commando more but well...I'm a highly excitable woman!! :D

My saddle is comfy but massive, do you think i should get a smaller one?
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,357
    This thread isn't about Italian toasties?????
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,629
    moonio wrote:
    I think padded shorts are really ugly,

They might not be the most awesome fashion accessory but they protect your punani from damage so....
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    edited June 2010
    Wear what's comfortable. If that's commando, so be it.
    Your skin knows more about what it can cope with than we do. Listen to it.

Having said that, I didn't think ladies could use many of the chamois creams because of *cough* *splutter*... *avoid subject*... *talk about rugby* (waits for a burd to fill in the details).

I'd say:

1. Get a comfortable (for you) saddle. Specialized BG saddles are supposed to be quite good for them girl-types.
    2. Get the saddle at the correct angle and position.
    3. Reduce friction. Less sweat (and no dried sweat!), and slidey-slidey clothing. I've heard talcum powder can work, too.

I've always done this, and never had a problem even on longer rides. I don't wear padded shorts either (usually prefer walking trousers zipped off to be shorts). Having said that, I'm not a burd.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • BR 1979
    BR 1979 Posts: 296
    I can definitely help you on this... Can you meet me this evening in EC3?
  • Matt the Tester
    Matt the Tester Posts: 1,261
    This thread isn't about Italian toasties?????
    no it's on about something much tastier ;)

sorry in advance lol.

i would suggest just bearing the padded shorts :)
    Coveryourcar.co.uk RT Tester
    north west of england.
  • lost_in_thought
    moonio wrote:
    I think padded shorts are really ugly, I would love to go commando more but well...I'm a highly excitable woman!! :D

Yes, yes a thousand times yes.

I hereby ban all boys from this thread. If you read on it is at your own risk. Especially you, DDD.

If the principal site of irritation is your upper inner thigh, but still effectively your thigh, then it's (allegedly) caused by too wide a saddle. Getting one that's the right size for you will be a big step forwards, and to do that it's really a good idea to go to a shop with one of those little foam pads you can sit on to measure your sit-bone size. A womanly bottom doesn't necessarily mean wide sit-bones.

Also a saddle with a slot down the middle is far, far more comfortable than a flat one if the irritation is really in your delicate areas.

You didn't mention what you're currently wearing, but if you really don't want to go commando, a slightly canny choice of knickers can help a lot.

EDIT: creams, depending on the area of irritation, can actually make things worse rather than better for us girls.
  • clanton
    clanton Posts: 1,289
    Bigger - more comfortable looking saddles are frequently less comfortabel than narrower better fitting ones - so changing the saddle may help

BUT padded shorts really are the answer. Go "commando" under these otherwise you defeat the object. If you object to the look try mountain biking baggies with an inner, padded liner.
  • moonio
    What about padded knickers? Do they exist?
  • Matt the Tester
    Matt the Tester Posts: 1,261
    edited June 2010
    google it maybe and it should tell you?

sorry that sounds sarcastic im just trying to be helpful :)
    Coveryourcar.co.uk RT Tester
    north west of england.
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    moonio wrote:

I do remember being quite amused when a girl said to me "Are you wearing those shorts that make your arse look big again?"
  • lost_in_thought
    moonio wrote:

Yep, they do, a company called Craft make an excellent 'pro boxer' with a pad - they're like a boyshort-style knicker. There are also more knicker-y ones, but I can't remember where from!
  • Coriander
    Coriander Posts: 1,326
    moonio wrote:

Yes - http://www.corinnedennis.co.uk/padded-underwear/womens-padded-cycling-undies.html

Sexy, they ain't, however.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    moonio wrote:
    would love to go commando more but well...I'm a highly excitable woman!! :D

.....anyone got those stats on how fast you need to be going to aquaplane on a bike? :wink:

How long is the commute? Are you wearing other cycle clothing? Do you need to wear your "bike" clothes all day at work, e.g. no changing facilities?

I don't see why wearing padded shorts is a bad thing when not wearing them is so uncomfortable.

Maybe try a new saddle, something like the Charge Ladle. Also, look for chamois cream.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • SamWise1972
    SamWise1972 Posts: 220
    The creams you mention do exist though, and are commonly used by racers. A common complaint, however is "It makes my junk smell funny". You were warned.

You can always take padded underwear off when you arrive. Here is a link to one chamois butter on Wiggle. I have no experience of any of them, so this is not a recommendation, just the first one on the list.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Udder ... 360038454/
  • moonio
    moonio wrote:

If the principal site of irritation is your upper inner thigh, but still effectively your thigh, then it's (allegedly) caused by too wide a saddle. Getting one that's the right size for you will be a big step forwards, and to do that it's really a good idea to go to a shop with one of those little foam pads you can sit on to measure your sit-bone size. A womanly bottom doesn't necessarily mean wide sit-bones.

Yes its more where my thigh meets my punani, so i guess its the saddle thats the problem. I'll try to pay a visit to cycle surgery and get measured up for a new saddle.

Thanks

:)
  • Roobay
    Roobay Posts: 68
    gel insert in your knick knicks and a bit of chamois cream should do the trick :D
  • moonio
    Coriander wrote:
    moonio wrote:

Yes - http://www.corinnedennis.co.uk/padded-underwear/womens-padded-cycling-undies.html

Sexy, they ain't, however.

JESUS CHRIST!! :shock:
  • lost_in_thought
    moonio wrote:

Yes its more where my thigh meets my punani, so i guess its the saddle thats the problem. I'll try to pay a visit to cycle surgery and get measured up for a new saddle.

Thanks

:)

No worries!

And while not really knickers the craft ones are marginally better-looking:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Craft ... 360042759/

I said marginally....
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Also, you can wear other clothes over the padded shorts, just not under them.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • sarajoy
    sarajoy Posts: 1,675
    moonio wrote:

Teeeheheheheeee! :lol:

Yes you can get padded knickers! Or padded lady-boxers, for wearing underneath whatever shorts you usually have on (btw, when on, padded shorts don't look far different to non-padded lycra shorts). Also you can get baggy shorts with secret inner lycra... Look for 'undershorts' or 'short liners' if you'd prefer something more underwear-like :)

I (infamously) wear knickers under my cycling shorts. You get to learn which ones slip or rub - but most of mine are fine for non-crazy distances (how far are you going?). I probably would go commando for a properly long ride if I did them.

I also had a woman's BG saddle from specialized - it was wide enough at the back and narrow enough at the front - but something about it's squishiness didn't work - it was softish but not soft enough to deform with the weight I put on it, so it just felt weirdly angular. I'm now the proud owner of a Charge Ladle - not squishy at all, but smooth (however, a non-squishy saddle does make padded shorts more useful)...

Finally, how about tipping your saddle forward a tiny bit? You may be unnecessarily squishing yer bits (unless you're just rubbing down the sides/crotch)...
    4537512329_a78cc710e6_o.gif4537512331_ec1ef42fea_o.gif
  • lost_in_thought
    bails87 wrote:
    Also, you can wear other clothes over the padded shorts, just not under them.

Absolutely.

I can often be seen cycling around in an on-the-knee dress with padded bib-shorts on underneath. When I'm not on the bike you'd never know I was wearing bibs, let alone padded ones.
  • BR 1979
    BR 1979 Posts: 296
    I can often be seen cycling around in an on-the-knee dress with padded bib-shorts on underneath. When I'm not on the bike you'd never know I was wearing bibs, let alone padded ones.
    I'm struggling to envisage this.

Really tricky.

I sort of understand.

Is there anyway you could expand on this for me please? Photos would probably help me to get my head around it.
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    BR 1979 wrote:
    I can definitely help you on this... Can you meet me this evening in EC3?
    BR 1979 wrote:
    I'm struggling to envisage this.

Really tricky.

I sort of understand.

Is there anyway you could expand on this for me please? Photos would probably help me to get my head around it.

How fickle some people's affections are! :)
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    bails87 wrote:
    moonio wrote:
    would love to go commando more but well...I'm a highly excitable woman!! :D

.....anyone got those stats on how fast you need to be going to aquaplane on a bike? :wink:
    i just coughed my tea on my keyboard
    :lol:
  • moonio
    I generally cycle in a dress and leggings, but will check out the padded knickers
    and as the dress would cover padded shorts I may be tempted to try these again...just my arse is huge and i don't particularly want to wear something that makes it look bigger!!!!
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Punani
    Also a saddle with a slot down the middle is far, far more comfortable than a flat one if the irritation is really in your delicate areas.

God, I love this thread!
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game