Tameside Crits in Ashton.

13»

Comments

• Thick Tester
    Thick Tester Posts: 380
    Jeesus.....
    Theres no point eating owt directly before a crit when its only going to be hitting your system 2 hours later when you're at home with Beer in hand.....
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    Jeesus.....
    Theres no point eating owt directly before a crit when its only going to be hitting your system 2 hours later when you're at home with Beer in hand.....

I'm inclined to agree...

Most weekday crits are usually early evening kick-off, so you should have plenty of glycogen left in your system from whatever you've eaten earlier in the day. They're only going to be an hour at best....
  • freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    I know this is disgusting to most, but I find jelly cubes amazingly tasty, and no, I don't eat them regular, last time I ate a jelly cube was years ago.

But I've just being given 2 packs of strawberry jelly, and notice this has alot of sugar in.
  • TommyEss
    TommyEss Posts: 1,855
    Do you mean the big blocks that you're supposed to add boiling water to, let it set and make your jelly!?!?! :shock:
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    Yeah, I am wondering if it'd provide some good energy.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,479
    freehub wrote:
    Yeah, I am wondering if it'd provide some good energy.

No, unless you'd bonked and needed to get the last few miles home! You need to read the one post above - that sort of sugar produces quick energy but it's a spike. As I understand it your insulin levels increase to compensate for high sugar levels but they carry on for a bit after the sugar level drops resulting in you being worse off than before. I'm sure someone with a better understanding can explain it more than me though.
  • TommyEss
    TommyEss Posts: 1,855
    I'm not sure that kind of hit of simple sugars is really a "good" hit of energy... The simple sugars get burnt very easily, so you don't get much out of them, if that makes sense?

The more complex carbohydrates, from oats, wholemeal bread and pasta, rice etc, have longer chains, so provide you energy for longer.

As a short spike, yes, that jelly pack will give you something, but it'll be shortlived and probably lead you to crash* just as quickly.

*(Metabolically - not physically off your bike - unless it really hits hard...)
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • When is the last one of the series? Is it the 3rd of August as advertised or will there be a few more due to the series having a delayed start?
  • Thick Tester
    Thick Tester Posts: 380
    When is the last one of the series? Is it the 3rd of August as advertised or will there be a few more due to the series having a delayed start?

There are two 'extra' ones planned at the end of the series to make up for the two lost due to the work being finished on the car park.

See the BC calendar for details