Carbon 456 (Updated 09/09, pg5)

124»

Comments

• Beardface
    Beardface Posts: 5,495
    Andy! wrote:
    Just spotted the new pics on the on-one site.

How are you finding the stem length?

Haha, well worth a free tee to post some pics on there!

I'm getting on much better with the 80mm stem thanks, rather than the 110mm I originally had on there! Feels a lot more responsive, especially with the wider bars! I think I've pretty much found my setup now (only taken since June!)

Still planning to change the bars/stem/post to carbon, and there's always loads of other little bits to think of, but I've got waaay too many other things to be buying first (sadly, non bike related) :(
  • Andy!
    Andy! Posts: 433
    Still in the gathering bits stage so no free T for me yet!

Toss up between 60 or 80mm exotic stem or 70mm Pro FSR (seem to be the best weight to trust ratio I can find). Ruled out the 60 as coming from 90mm on a frame where the TT was too small so don't want to go too short and go back to cramped. Wider bars like yours are a good plan though.

Other thing I am stuck on is headset - have a thread in the buying advice about it but no replies yet :(

Wouldn't mind measuring the lower stack on the smoothie would you? Would help with my decision over the Hope or other route.
  • Beardface
    The 80mm exotic stem is stupidly light, and seems pretty strong to me so far!! I think it's a fantastic bit of kit for the price, and strength/weigh ratios have been considered with my build.. definitely recommend it mate.. obviously size is a personal preference!

As for the headset, I've just looked at your thread in buying advise, and I was tempted by the hope too. The price for the weight saving wasn't worth it for me to be honest, and the smoothie has been flawless so far (had the bike since June, ridden every day pretty much!)

With regards to the lower stack, I've just popped out to check, and it's 10mm, and with the crown race, is about 13mm.. I see that you're worried about running 130mm instead of 140, but I don't think 10mm will really make much difference to the ride.

(The 456 is designed for travel between 4"/100mm appx, and 6"/150mm appx, but it optimal at 140mm apparently, I really think you'll be fine with 130mm mate).

Hope that helps :)
  • Andy!
    Big help, cheers.

The exotic stems look just as well made as my current race face and I too am looking for light kit that is still up for harder than XC use - just like the frame itself.

I noticed my first batch 16" has an extra set of cable guides for the rear brake down the back of the left hand seat stay and under the top tube. Shame as it spoils the lines a bit. Had a look on the site and they do an alternative vertical drop out with the caliper above - would have rather had no guides personally orhad them fitted under like the right side for the rear mech.
  • CraigXXL
    CraigXXL Posts: 1,852
    How do you find the bike after having it for while now. Anything you'd have changed on the build or wish On One would have designed/manufactured differently?
  • Beardface
    Hi Craig,

After having the bike since June, I can happily say I love this bike, it is so quick and responsive, and feels great to ride.. it always makes me want to ride more and more.. lol, it can take a lot more abuse than my body!! :lol:

As for different parts etc, I've changed a few parts (mainly saddle, stem & bar), as I've been experimenting, and think I have found a great combination I'm happy with.. obviously, if money was no object, it may look a lot different (Full XTR/XX, 2011 Fox forks, or DT Swiss.. something 150mm, Hope M4's with red floating rotors, and loads more little 'bling' bits..)

Still, nothings broken at the moment, and the build is pretty good in my opinion, so as long as nothing is broken, I'm probably not gonna fix it :)

Overall though, I'm extremely happy.. I had reservations about getting rid of my full sus Marin Mount Vision for a hardtail, but I'm glad I did.. it's a fantastic bike mate, highly recommended!!
  • Andy!
    One of the new superstar stems would look good on this. Spotted them the other day and immediately thought of your bike.
  • Beardface
    Andy! wrote:
    One of the new superstar stems would look good on this. Spotted them the other day and immediately thought of your bike.

Ah, bless ya for thinking of me buddy, cheers! :D

However, the 456 is now gone.. I've decided to go back to FS, and my younger days, and am currently building up an 06 Enduro.. something I've always wanted, and a lot more bounce :)

(Thanks to Fatlad for the frame by the way!)

My reasons? I miss FS, I'll admit it, and the missus won't allow me to have too many bikes!! Lol, so I'm hoping the new build will be a truly all mountain, all day bike :) Weight for the Enduro will be sub 30lbs, hoping about 27-28lbs for 140mm all round.. not too bad!

Still, that stem will work very nicely with the new build too.. I'm sticking with the same colour scheme (black frame, white forks and red bits), so thanks for the suggestion!

Shall stick the finished product up soon :)
  • Andy!
    Some of you guys change bikes more often than I change my underwear!

I think I am being hasty if I replace a frame within 3 years!
  • Beardface
    Andy! wrote:
    Some of you guys change bikes more often than I change my underwear!

I think I am being hasty if I replace a frame within 3 years!

Lol, I get that a lot mate (especially from the missus!).. the usual for me is a new bike/frame every 6 months (ish). I like to try variation, and as I only have a few riding buddies, the only logical way to try out different bikes is to chop and change!!

Or at least thats what I tell myself.. :lol:

Been through a Marin Mount Vision, Carbon 456 and now onto the Enduro this year.. already eyeing up a Nomad for early next year.. :shock: :oops:
  • Loverly looking bike mate!

A huge fan of carbon bikes, want one meself. How much did the build set you back?
  • Beardface
    Loverly looking bike mate!

A huge fan of carbon bikes, want one meself. How much did the build set you back?

Lol, cheers buddy, but read above, this frame is now gone, decided to go back to FS :) But thanks! Not sure of the cost, as a lot of the parts came from my Mount Vision, but to tally everything up, probably just shy of £2k at a guess :)

It rode like a dream, and was super quick, but I missed the rear bounce, so currently building up a bike I've always wanted, an 06 Spesh Enduro :)
  • fatlad
    fatlad Posts: 105
    Cant wait to see it bud!

Your shock shuttle will be with you soon mate.

The 456 is nearly there - just waiting chainset

:D

Then its time to see how a frame that weighs 1.4% my bodyweight gets on
    :twisted:
    If you dont ride in the rain, you dont ride
  • Beardface
    fatlad wrote:
    Cant wait to see it bud!

Your shock shuttle will be with you soon mate.

The 456 is nearly there - just waiting chainset

:D

Then its time to see how a frame that weighs 1.4% my bodyweight gets on
    :twisted:

Lol, I like how you work that weight out mate!! Looking forward to seeing your build too :)

Cheers for the shuttle too, looking forwad to the arrival , just to see how it'll feel with a lower bb :)

Edit: You got PM ;)