Carbon 456 (Updated 09/09, pg5)

Comments

• For the moment the stealth unidirectional carbon with black logos is the only option. But all that's about to change. Come and see us down at Mountain Mayhem this weekend- On-One will be there with our new custom paint artist Denby and the chance to test out the Carbon 456 XT bike on the track. Book yourself a 1hr test ride slot here: http://www.on-one.co.uk/news/products/q/date/2010/06/16/test-ride-carbon-456-at-mountain-mayhem and stand a good chance of winning a carbon 456 frame with custom paint job of your choice... It's a pretty good offer as On-One normally are not usually this generous being a bunch of properly mean Yorkshiremen...
  • ccc
    ccc Posts: 193
    Stav83 wrote:
    nickfrog wrote:
    Great looking frame, growing on me too (slowly). You build is inspired, spot on.
    Did you weigh the frame ? I would be interested to know the actual real world weight.

Nickfrog, just had a look about, other people have quoted between 1432 and 1450g for frame only on proper scales (which included the plastic bungs in BB and seat tube) - hope that helps :D

:shock:

Just weighed mine sans bb/seat tube bungs and it came in at 1523g...
    Eyes on the prize.
  • Beardface
    Beardface Posts: 5,495
    Oi!!

Gerrof my thread, boyos!

I'm kidding guys, as you were.. :wink:
  • Beardface
    ccc wrote:
    Just weighed mine sans bb/seat tube bungs and it came in at 1523g...

Fair play, I guess maybe each one may be a gram or 2 different, but thats almost 100g!! Like I said, this was just from me looking about on t'web.. I didn't weigh my frame on its own properly (see previous, used old bathroom scales!)

All I know is it's light enough for me! :D
  • ccc
    ccc Posts: 193
    it could just be my scales, they're only small so i don't know if the frame is sitting squarely on it. It is still ridiculously light, but feels pretty strong too.

What headset are you running?
    Eyes on the prize.
  • The Big Cheese
    The Big Cheese Posts: 8,651
    *wants* really really nice - liking that a lot - something a bit different!!!
  • Beardface
    ccc wrote:
    it could just be my scales, they're only small so i don't know if the frame is sitting squarely on it. It is still ridiculously light, but feels pretty strong too.

What headset are you running?
    Yea, it should stand up to the abuse I plan to give it... :wink::lol:

As for headset, I'm using the On one smoothie they sell, got it fitted by them.. just made sense, as I don't own a press.. may change to a hope/ck when it wears out, but the quality seems spot on!

Big Cheese - thanks mate, glad you like it!

More pics will be on at some point today, depending on workload.. it's pretty much done now!
  • Beardface
    Well.. here we go! Pretty much done, just need to sort the gears out ( :cry: I hate indexing gears..)

34oppqa.jpg

Drive side:
    v4xk5s.jpg

Non drive:
    2uthkbd.jpg

Carbon goodness:
    2q06ro8.jpg

Rear bits (KCNC jockey wheels):
    xc3g3q.jpg

Headtube (CWNT.. this might help with close up):
    98zvk0.jpg

And there we go! Still need to adjust spacers, index gears etc, but just little things..

Changes planned soon:
    New Seat & Post (Charge Knife/Fizik saddle, some kind of carbon post)
    Pedals (Superstar nano flats, in red)
    Shorter Stem (Maybe.. shall see how it rides, but otherwise an Exotic carbon is going on there, 80-90mm)
    Tyres - Maybe something beefier, the Schwalbes will be slicks soon! Any suggestions by the way, on a lightweight, yet puncture resistant all round tyre, 2.25-2.4?

Let me know your thoughts/opinions/what you'd change (within sensible budgets!!)

Oh, and just as a random pic, went to see Jimmy Carr with the other half last night, and got this:
    33daykl.jpg
    :D
  • Kiblams
    Kiblams Posts: 2,423
    Stav83 wrote:
    Any suggestions by the way, on a lightweight, yet puncture resistant all round tyre, 2.25-2.4?

My 2.4 MountainKing tyre seems pretty light compared to the other 2.4/2.5 tyres I have used, not sure about the puncture resistance, but I run at low pressures (25ish PSI) at times and it hasn't failed me yet. :D

I am still not sure about the rounded lines that carbon frames use (not sure if they have to or not) but then I am not a fan of swooping top-tubes that all new bikes seem to have.
  • Beardface
    Cheers Kiblams, will have a look at the MK's, used to use Conti tyres loads, but put a set of Nobby nics on a while back, and never looked back!

Like you, I'm not sure if they have to have the rounded lines, but I know what you mean about the curvy frames (Spesh's SX Trail springs to mind), but I think this frame is quite 'normal' in this day and age of bikes, only a slight curve in the downtube :)
  • D-Cyph3r
    D-Cyph3r Posts: 847
    Head and downtube looks like it could have came straight from a carbon Remedy.

Nice looking bike, though I definitely would have gone with black forks myself. :lol:
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,862
    mountain kings are light - but as they start to wear they have the puncture resistance of rice crispies
  • M1llh0use
    M1llh0use Posts: 863
    matthew h wrote:
    mountain kings are light - but as they start to wear they have the puncture resistance of rice crispies

+turnip
    {insert smartarse comment here}
  • Beardface
    D-Cyph3r wrote:
    Nice looking bike, though I definitely would have gone with black forks myself. :lol:

Lol, thats what I'm still considering, but I already had the white Revs at home, so makes sense to use them until I can get some 36's or DT Swiss forks :)
    (Although the white forks do make it stand out!)

And thanks for the info Matthew/Millhouse, don't really fancy riding with the worry of the tyres snap, crackle and popping! :lol:
  • Beardface
    So, the 456 is officially finished until my next paycheck! :D Gears are done, which was surprisingly easy compared to the last time I tried!

Excuse the bodged innter tube chainstay protector, but thats one thing I forgot to buy!
    fvjiow.jpg

First ride into work this morning, my initial thoughts are very good! Felt strong, stiff and quick off the mark! I didn't want to push it too much, as this is my first carbon frame, and it takes a bit of getting used to.. also, I've been on a FS bike for the past year, so felt strange, but in a very good way! :D

I think this could be the start of something beautiful.... lol :lol:
  • MacAndCheese
    MacAndCheese Posts: 1,944
    Looking really nice, Like the idea of DT swiss forks, would look the nuts.

Perhaps an NC-17 crank bolt replacement in red - tarty and pointless, but would look cool.

Word of advise - if your looking for carbon seatpost don't get a USE sumo - you have to tighten to saddle bolt to within a inch of it's life and saddle still occasionally slips if you land on it heavily.
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Orange Alpine 160
  • Beardface
    Don't worry Mac, pointless, but shiny red bits will be coming each month! :)

Cheers for the info on the USE post too, I was looking on fleabay, and actually like the look od the Merek Stuff.. looks like it would match the colours of the bike perfectly, and not too bad on price.. but, I know nothing of them.. can anybody share any info?

As for the forks, I'm more than happy with the Revs at the moment, but shall be saving, as I'm off to the states in december, so might be able to pick up a bargain set of forks there!
  • tony620
    tony620 Posts: 194
    looking great, evans and parcel force have put my build on hold as they still have not dispatched my last bits :(

With regards to carbon seat posts slipping use stuff by finish line called fiber grip its made to create friction between 2 carbon points of contact and stops you having to over-tighten seat bolts and stem bolts.

Cannot wait to ride my 456 :D
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Wow, looks amazing, just looked on On Ones web site and can't believe this frame is only £499!!!!

I really thought it would be twice that.

I WANT ONE, but I'm 6'6" and wondering if even the 20" frame might be a little small.
  • JamesBrckmn
    JamesBrckmn Posts: 1,360
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=24484 these are a good price, and would go well with the bike- black carbon with red bits 8)
  • Beardface
    RichardSwt wrote:
    Wow, looks amazing, just looked on On Ones web site and can't believe this frame is only £499!!!!

I really thought it would be twice that.

I WANT ONE, but I'm 6'6" and wondering if even the 20" frame might be a little small.

Lol, even better considering I got in early and only paid £399 for it! :D

I'm 6'1, and the 18" is perfect for me, with a load of adjustment in it too... although, 6'6" may be pushing it.. send on one an email, see if they can help!

@James - Cheers for the link mate, very tempted!! (Although the o/h just gave me the death stare for even looking!!) :lol:

Went out for the first proper ride today too, and it's amazing.. so, so quick, responsive and just amazing! Kinda forgot I didn't have a full sus for a second on one of the downs, but it didn't miss a beat! So happy I got this!! :D
  • OllyUK
    OllyUK Posts: 230
    @Stav,

How was the quality of the BB shell? Did it need facing and chasing?

Cheers,

Olly
  • Beardface
    OllyUK wrote:
    @Stav,

Cheers,

Olly

Hi Olly,

Quality was faultless mate, BB went in with no problems first time, no facing/chasing needed, and after 100+ miles so far, it's not had a single problem :)

Still so chuffed with this bike!
  • OllyUK
    OllyUK Posts: 230
    Stav83 wrote:
    OllyUK wrote:
    @Stav,

Cheers,

Olly

Hi Olly,

Quality was faultless mate, BB went in with no problems first time, no facing/chasing needed, and after 100+ miles so far, it's not had a single problem :)

Still so chuffed with this bike!

That's good to hear, I'm very very tempted by one.
    How are you protecting the frame? Liberal use of heli tape?
  • Beardface
    Olly - liberal use of nothing ;)

The only protection on there at the moment is on the chainstay, bodged inner tube.. lol.

I was a bit wary of using heli tape, as I'm not sure how it would affect the finish.. to be honest, I'm not too worried about protecting it, the frames there to be ridden, and scuffs/scrapes are inevitable anyway!

Saying that, the downtube is almost triangular underneath, so that anything that does bounce up, bounces off and nothing has left a mark yet (I've ridden some pretty rocky trails on it too)

Might consider taping the underneath of the downtube, that makes sense really.. but, funds are done, I'm moving house next week so all available cash is going into that.. :(
  • Helter
    Helter Posts: 137
    Hi Stav,

My new 456 Carbon frame has just arrived after the dependable Charge Duster picked a fight with the wrong tree (London Calling thread in MTB Rides).

Word in the forest is they've been hit with hammers and survived but then some people on here are worrying about scratches and little dinks ruining the integrity of their carbon frames. Have you fallen off your 456? How’d it do?
    Charge Duster (RIP)
    Ragley mmmBop
  • Beardface
    Hi Helter,

Sorry to hear about the duster, but glad something nice came from the crash!! :)

I've also heard that they've been put through some serious punishment and held up, but can't really confirm, I've not had a fall yet.. washed out a few times doe to some of the weather this way recently, but nothing that has affected the frame.. however, it still feels (to me) like a superlight tank, and I'm loving every second I'm out on it... keep trying to race the roadies on my rides to work!! :D

Just as an update, I've not made many changes to it so far, except for a Ritchey seatpost (400mm), and an on-one inbred saddle, as it goes rather nicely with my colour scheme! :) Gonna get it in for a full service next weekend, brakes bled etc (don't have time to do it myself at the moment!)

Shall get some more pics on here in a week or so, once payday > shiny red bits arrive!
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,480
    Very tasty :) . If I do get a HT it would be hard choosing between this and the Ti version that's just been just relaunched.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Beardface
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Very tasty :) . If I do get a HT it would be hard choosing between this and the Ti version that's just been just relaunched.

Haha, the Ti one is gorgeous.. if I had a spare £800, I'd probably order one of those as well..

Sadly, I don't have a spare £800... lol, thats probably a good thing!! :lol:

Can't fault my 456 though, I kept thinking that it would be awful coming from a FS to this, but I couldn't be happier!