Dauphine Stage 4 - SPOILER

13»

Comments

• Cumulonimbus
    Cumulonimbus Posts: 1,730
    What happened to Sammy Sanchez today?

Given BBox's decent form this season i had wondered if Vogondy might do something in the coming few weeks but didnt expect him to take that stage! Was thinking Fedrigo might be the man for this race, maybe we'll see him give it a go on the Alpe.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    iainf72 wrote:

Or he's still a couple kilos over. Which would make sense.

Or a pint lighter.

I've never got this.

If this is the week to take blood out, why not wait and go to Switzerland next week, rather than racing with less blood?
  • magicrhodes
    magicrhodes Posts: 123
    afx237vi wrote:
    Brajkovic won the Tour de Georgia three years ago. You know, a week long race with a time trial and a stonking great mountain top finish. He's basically been on bottle duty ever since. Given a chance this week, he takes it. Not sure why anyone is surprised.

Its just more of the "I hate LA and everyone he has ever spoken to rode with unless they have come out with a comment against him in which case they can be my friend." It is all just very boring...
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,474
    I've never got this.

If this is the week to take blood out, why not wait and go to Switzerland next week, rather than racing with less blood?

At a guess, you can only refrigerate blood safely for 6 weeks and you need to give the body time to replace the blood taken out so taking it out now is optimal for a boost in the second week of the Tour.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    afx237vi wrote:
    Brajkovic won the Tour de Georgia three years ago. You know, a week long race with a time trial and a stonking great mountain top finish. He's basically been on bottle duty ever since. Given a chance this week, he takes it. Not sure why anyone is surprised.

Its just more of the "I hate LA and everyone he has ever spoken to rode with unless they have come out with a comment against him in which case they can be my friend." It is all just very boring...

Well, I dunno about that. I am a founding member of the Anti-Lance Brigade, after all, but there are still some riders on Radio Shack that I'm a fan of. I'm conflicted, that's what I am.
  • Cumulonimbus
    Cumulonimbus Posts: 1,730
    edited June 2010
    Full results up

http://www.letour.fr/2010/CDD/LIVE/us/4 ... index.html

Kennaugh 34th +1.18
    Millar 46th +1.35
    Thomas 58th +2.52

(on the stage)

Brajkovic takes green by one point.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    andyp wrote:
    I've never got this.

At a guess, you can only refrigerate blood safely for 6 weeks and you need to give the body time to replace the blood taken out so taking it out now is optimal for a boost in the second week of the Tour.

I meant go race in Switzerland, in the Tour de Suisse.

Why risk having a blood tranfusion in the middle of a race, when you could skip that race and do pretty much the same one a week later?
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    afx237vi wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:

Well, I dunno about that. I am a founding member of the Anti-Lance Brigade, after all, but there are still some riders on Radio Shack that I'm a fan of. I'm conflicted, that's what I am.

Cognitive dissonance mate, which is impressive for an animal with a tail.

Excepting whales & dolphins.

Strava is not Zen.
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    Whatever makes Bertie not ride at his normal level right now, you have to give it to him that he did seem to put an effort in, attacking and leading the group. He could easily have sat up looking at his heart rate monitor
  • emadden
    emadden Posts: 2,431
    afx237vi wrote:

its actually down to the fact that Brajkovic found out that there is a zipper on his jersey and he can actually close it...thereby stopping the flapping jersey and saving seconds. For the last two seasons I never once saw the guy with his jersey closed, it was always opened completely... This year, he is a new man... :lol:
    :lol::lol:

2008: http://www.flickr.com/photos/dotcycling ... 186461821/
    2009: http://www.cyclingfans.com/2008_giro_di ... o_uran.jpg
    www.dotcycling.com
  • Bakunin
    Bakunin Posts: 868
    No one in the World can match Contador's accelerations. Sure they might come back to him eventually but the initital burst is devastating. Janez didn't lose anything when he went, while it took the others more times the first time Contador went.

I guess I will summarize that Contador was going easy then.

If they come back to AC eventually -- you can't call the accelerations devastating.

Yes, Bertie's jump is impressive, but it seems that riders often can crawl back to him. We have seen that in different races since 2007 when the Chicken did it.

The Hog always talked about how he needed to make it stick when he goes.
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    Bakunin wrote:
    No one in the World can match Contador's accelerations. Sure they might come back to him eventually but the initital burst is devastating. Janez didn't lose anything when he went, while it took the others more times the first time Contador went.

If they come back to AC eventually -- you can't call the accelerations devastating.

Yes, Bertie's jump is impressive, but it seems that riders often can crawl back to him. We have seen that in different races since 2007 when the Chicken did it.

The Hog always talked about how he needed to make it stick when he goes.

This seems to be a more and more regular occurence with Bertie these days ,sure he takes off impressively but more often than not he cant sustain it. I am beggining to wonder how he shapes up in the pantheon of great climbers.
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    I read one account saying he's doing about 400W now but come the Tour de France, he's up to 440W. This is common for him, he seems to push his threshold up by 10% in time for July, so then he can sustain his moves.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Bakunin wrote:

Yes, quite easily. It is devastating because it takes them some time to get back onto them. His acceleration is devastating. Whether he pegs that lead is a different question.

However check how many summit finishes he has won this year and then his palmares in previous years. You don't have those palmares without being able to dominate the climbs.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Bakunin
    Bakunin Posts: 868
    Bakunin wrote:

Yes, quite easily. It is devastating because it takes them some time to get back onto them. His acceleration is devastating. Whether he pegs that lead is a different question.

However check how many summit finishes he has won this year and then his palmares in previous years. You don't have those palmares without being able to dominate the climbs.

So Bertie is perfect and is beyond any improvement? Geez, I'm a fanboy as much as you, but I think I actually watch AC a little more closely.

We are talking about sustaining a lead once he jumps. The point of the accelerations is to peg the lead. They're not different issues. The Hog was pretty clear about this, as was the Chicken.

Of course, he dominates -- but as a climber, he is a puncher and not a knockout artist.
  • frenchfighter
    We are not talking about sustaining a lead as that is not what I originally said as I tried to demonstrate in my 2nd post. I guess you are still misunderstanding what my opinion was so I'll stop.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Bakunin wrote:
    The Hog was pretty clear about this, as was the Chicken.

All our Farmyard Friends.
  • The Prodigy
    The Prodigy Posts: 832
    So AC doesn't look quite so invincible at the moment. If he was blowing everyone away, attacking and holding the gap like he has in the past and then doing it again next month people would be calling him ET.

I have to say that until the TDF last year alot of people on this forum were sceptical as to how good he really was. There were plenty on here who were quick to jump on the fact that he won the Giro and Vuelta by tiny margins and was gifted his first TDF.

It seems that those sceptics have been in hiding since last years Tour and have decided to have a pop now he isn't quite on the top of his game.

Then again they could be just French Fighter baiting!
  • frenchfighter
    edited October 2012
    lol
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,229

That can't be the case though can it as Bertie is a true champion, you know - the sort that only ever races to win :wink: