Are you ready for the world cup?

Comments

• Porgy
    Porgy Posts: 4,525
    Kurako wrote:
    MM. Why are you supporting Greece?

They're showing the game at work. Had to get the sound turned off because of those friggin horns they have. It sounds like a swarm of bees :evil:

Greek flag:

greek_flag.jpg

Uruguayan flag:

uruguay-flag.gif

You Are Gay?

:P
  • Porgy
    Porgy Posts: 4,525
    JonGinge wrote:
    Yeah, what time does it finish?

July 11 th
    HeeHee.

Afternoon match finishes in a hour or so. Evening match kicks off @ 19:30

Think I'll head home at 7.30 then. roads should be reasonably quiet, and noone rushing to get home by then.
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    JonGinge wrote:

July 11 th
    HeeHee.

Grumble.

Which one is England playing in?
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    been a good game so far, mexico started very brightly similar to how they started at wembley a few weeks back. SA have come into it and are looking good and solid now.
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    JonGinge wrote:

July 11 th
    HeeHee.

Just realised there will be a clash with the TDF on ITV4
    Nah, just checked, they're evening kick-offs the final weekend. July 11th is the stage up to Avoriaz. Nice climb, not really that challenging
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    JonGinge wrote:

July 11 th
    HeeHee.

Grumble.

Tomorrow evening
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    JonGinge wrote:

July 11 th
    HeeHee.

Grumble.

For the love of. England is playing tomorrow. France is playing today at 7.30pm.

Tomorrow at 7pm England stops for USA vs England.
    Tomorrow 11pm mass riots across England in retaliation of USA pounding Enland 5-0.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    JonGinge wrote:

July 11 th
    HeeHee.

Grumble.

For the love of. England is playing tomorrow. France is playing today at 7.30pm.

Tomorrow 11pm mass riots across England in retaliation of USA pounding Enland 5-0.

Oh arses. And here I was hoping for a quiet choob. ETA - or tee-yoob as I suddenly recall being told to say it at school. :lol:

I really hope they lose. And lose all their other matches in the first round. And get knocked out.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    JonGinge wrote:

July 11 th
    HeeHee.

Grumble.

ha typical arsenal 'fan'
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • DonDaddyD
    Clever Pun wrote:
    ha typical arsenal 'fan'

I don't actually rate England. Haven't done since France 98.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:
    ha typical arsenal 'fan'

I don't actually rate England. Haven't done since France 98.

Arsenal fans always seem to hate England. Fair enough, they are a French club after all.
  • DonDaddyD
    Thierry Henry is the greatest player of my life time, yes.

But coming from a Chelsea fan is just hypocritical.

But on to England. Too one dimensional. Too boring. Overhyped. Never played my players. The golden generation (Scholes, Becks et al) failed miserably. Which is sad because I rated Scholes as one of the greatest central midfielders in my adult years alongside Fabregas, Viera, Albertini and Stevie G.

I do wish this team all the best, but in some ways if just feels like the end of a Generation that failed to live up to expectation. Englands best chance IMO was 2006 that team was strong.
    Food Chain number = 4

• Clever Pun
    How can you compare an English team in 98 with todays lot?
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • DonDaddyD
    Clever Pun wrote:

I watch the English games but unlike then when i used to approach each game with enthusiasm, I now approach England games with scepticism and a predisposition that I'm not going to be entertained or blown away.
    Food Chain number = 4

• Clever Pun
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:

I watch the English games but unlike then when i used to approach each game with enthusiasm, I now approach England games with scepticism and a predisposition that I'm not going to be entertained or blown away.

that's called getting older
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Thierry Henry is the greatest player of my life time, yes.

But coming from a Chelsea fan is just hypocritical.

But on to England. Too one dimensional. Too boring. Overhyped. Never played my players. The golden generation (Scholes, Becks et al) failed miserably. Which is sad because I rated Scholes as one of the greatest central midfielders in my adult years alongside Fabregas, Viera, Albertini and Stevie G.

I do wish this team all the best, but in some ways if just feels like the end of a Generation that failed to live up to expectation. Englands best chance IMO was 2006 that team was strong.

Chels have got far more English players than your lot. Also how can you miss Lampard of your list of greatest central midfielders? Like him or not you can't argue with such consistent levels of performance...
  • Jeeze, have some faith DDD!!!

Else, one can't have one's dreams shattered when we go out on peno's in the semi's!

BTW, what a start - cracking 1st goal by SA....phrase back of the net was made for! :D
    "Come at the king, you best not miss." - Omar, The Wire

FCN 4: Willier Izoard XP
    FCN 7: GT Legato 4.0

*GAME* competitor
  • DonDaddyD
    clever pun wrote:
    il prince wrote:
    Jeeze, have some faith DDD!!!

told you so.
    Food Chain number = 4

• nich
    nich Posts: 888
    i wish the supermarkets and roads were that quiet everyday, love it when everyone stays inside glued to the box :P
  • andy83
    andy83 Posts: 1,558
    I love football, season ticket down the villa and trips to wembley last year but for some reason I cant get interested in england games.

The media really annoys me the way they jump on mistakes etc. look at how theyre slating green already!

Im more looking forward to watching spain and argentina this world cup. I took advantage of the quite roads last night and went out for a ride, and I shall be doing it again when england play, it was heaven!

England on paper should be awesome, but on paper you win nothing, they are all individuals and dont play as a team. from what i saw usa played as a team, england didnt, i mean no one consolled green

villa win the european cup or england the world cup, id take villa all day long

Call me strange, unpatriotic or whatever you like but english football means nout to me.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,187
    I reminded myself last night why it's often good to make use of the lack of people on roads (and pretty much everywhere else apart from pubs). although I like football, I actually find it hard to watch England in ther big competitions: it just makes for a tense, unenjoyable evening in front of the TV. No wonder people drink so much watching the big games.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • DonDaddyD
    I want and have always wanted England to do well, England has some of the best footballers in the World.

However, for too many reasons to list, they have often underachieved or simply let themselves down (not always in major tournaments). Capello is right though, if England played like the players do in the Premiership - high pace, high energy, tough tackling, great technique - they'd be favorites.

I do back them and I wish the team all the best but I'm a realist.
    Food Chain number = 4

• tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,358
    edited June 2010
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    I want and have always wanted England to do well, England has some of the best footballers in the World.

However, for too many reasons to list, they have often underachieved or simply let themselves down (not always in major tournaments). Capello is right though, if England played like the players do in the Premiership - high pace, high energy, tough tackling, great technique - they'd be favorites.

Have they underacheived?

Really?

I reckon England are in the top 10 teams in the world. Out in the quarter finals is about par for them. England have only two geniunely world class players in Ashley Cole and Wayne Rooney. Terry, Lampard and Gerrard are good enough but wouldn't get a start for any of the other big hitters. The rest are making up the numbers.

In this tournament however they have a real chance of doing better as the draw has been very kind to them. My prediction is a semi final defeat against Brazil and winning the 3rd place spot against Argentina

That said 4 of the 5 players I've mentioned are in my fantasy football team so I hope the do well (up to a point)
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • kurako
    kurako Posts: 1,098
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Capello is right though, if England played like the players do in the Premiership - high pace, high energy, tough tackling, great technique - they'd be favorites.

Hang on though. A lot of the players in the Premiership are foreign. Including the goalies for all the top clubs. That's how you end up with England taking goalies from such leading lights as West Ham, Portsmouth and Birmingham.

The US played ok. They were well organised, defended well and Tim Howard had a good game. They shouldn't have come away with a point. Goalkeeping used to be a strength of the English side (Woods, Shilton, Clemence, Seaman to name a few). Where did it all go wrong?
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Have they underacheived?

Really?

I reckon England are in the top 10 teams in the world. Out in the quarter finals is about par for them. England have only two geniunely world class players in Ashley Cole and Wayne Rooney. Terry, Lampard and Gerrard are good enough but wouldn't get a start for any of the other big hitters. The rest are making up the numbers.

In this tournament however they have a real chance of doing better as the draw has been very kind to them. My prediction is a semi final defeat against Brazil and winning the 3rd place spot against Argentina

That said 4 of the 5 players I've mentioned are in my fantasy football team so I hope the do well (up to a point)

In 2008 they underachieved.

I am completely stunned about your placing of Gerrard as merely 'good' enough. Stunned.

I'm treating every round England get into as a surprise. I've been disappointed before....

If they don't meet before: Argentina/Spain final. Holland third place.

Kurako,

I agree on the lack of epic goal keepers.
    Food Chain number = 4

• tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,358
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    If they don't meet before: Argentina/Spain final. Holland third place..

I'm not sure that your prediction can happen due to the draw

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sol/shared/inc/v4 ... ain.html#p

Try this BBC doodah.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • el_presidente
    el_presidente Posts: 1,963
    Glen Johnson - shoplifter
    John Terry - serial adulterer, mother is a convicted shoplifter, father is a convicted drug dealer
    Ashley Cole - serial adulterer
    Rio Ferdinand - drugs cheat (I know he's not in the squad)
    Ledley King - arrested for drunken assault
    Steven Gerrard - arrested for drunken assault
    Frank Lampard - adulterer
    Emile heskey - adulterer

and taht's just off the top of my head. I can barely bring myself to watch them let alone support them. They disgust me.
    <a>road</a>
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    Kurako wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Capello is right though, if England played like the players do in the Premiership - high pace, high energy, tough tackling, great technique - they'd be favorites.

Hang on though. A lot of the players in the Premiership are foreign. Including the goalies for all the top clubs. That's how you end up with England taking goalies from such leading lights as West Ham, Portsmouth and Birmingham.

The US played ok. They were well organised, defended well and Tim Howard had a good game. They shouldn't have come away with a point. Goalkeeping used to be a strength of the English side (Woods, Shilton, Clemence, Seaman to name a few). Where did it all go wrong?

We could lend you a keeper or two! :wink:
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • MadammeMarie
    MadammeMarie Posts: 621
    John Terry - serial adulterer, mother is a convicted shoplifter, father is a convicted drug dealer.

It's not fair to punish the son for the crimes of the parents, now, is it?

:(
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    Glen Johnson - shoplifter
    John Terry - serial adulterer, mother is a convicted shoplifter, father is a convicted drug dealer
    Ashley Cole - serial adulterer
    Rio Ferdinand - drugs cheat (I know he's not in the squad)
    Ledley King - arrested for drunken assault
    Steven Gerrard - arrested for drunken assault
    Frank Lampard - adulterer
    Emile heskey - adulterer

and taht's just off the top of my head. I can barely bring myself to watch them let alone support them. They disgust me.

To be honest, why is this suprising.
    Adultery is not a criminal offense, and I am sure that a high proportion of the population have been guilty of this at some point, with their high profile, no wonder footballers get named.

Drunken assault - again we have very highly paid young men, having a night out, they will obviously attract all sorts of eejits to their company, so it is of no surprise that get involved in altercations. Again with their high profile, no wonder it gets reported.
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"