Are you ready for the world cup?

Comments

• mattrsa
    mattrsa Posts: 143
    could not find a small south african flag so might just have to wear a full size one like a cape.

I can't fricken wait for it to start.

Off to SA in 10 days for 2 weeks so that is going to seriously effect my stats for the month and prob wont do much for my waist line with all the beers and food : )
    Commuter - Trek 1.2
    Fun - Specialized Rockhopper
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    I had tickets. four groups games, one quarter and one semi. :(

Arrival of baby girl put travel plans on hold.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    I've been contacting all my other friends who don't give a monkey's about it, and banned football-watching in my house in Ealing - an 'accident' will befall the TV (which is mine) if the ban is not respected when I'm around.

I'm nearly ready.

Just need to compile a mental list of football-free pubs.
  • gert_lush
    gert_lush Posts: 634
    I've been contacting all my other friends who don't give a monkey's about it, and banned football-watching in my house in Ealing - an 'accident' will befall the TV (which is mine) if the ban is not respected when I'm around.

I'm nearly ready.

Agreed

On the upside the roads are always nice and empty for 90 mins of traffic free cycling :D

...not that i'm a grumpy old git but flags on cars should be banned, very uncool :roll:
    FCN 8 mainly
    FCN 4 sometimes
  • squired
    squired Posts: 1,153
    Thank god for cricket and cycling. They will keep me busy for the next few weeks. I do enjoy football, but I can't stand the thuggish behaviour that comes with it. As a result I might watch the odd game at home, but not much else.
  • mattrsa
    Asprilla wrote:

boo

which games ? did you sell them on?

I got tickets for 3 games, can't wait!
    Commuter - Trek 1.2
  • Mark Elvin
    Mark Elvin Posts: 997
    I am now, table for 20 booked this Saturday at the local pub/restraunt that does not have a TV
    2012 Cannondale Synapse
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Can't stand football really, but will probably watch the England games with mild interest...Football exhibits so much that can be bad, why do the 'fans' behave so badly, compare them to say Rugby fans and ask yourself WHY?

My daughter calls the flags on cars Wayne Kerr (or something like that) flags!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • asprilla
    mattrsa wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:

boo

which games ? did you sell them on?

I got tickets for 3 games, can't wait!

Not sure which games, I gave them up before the actual draw had been made. My bro-in-law in Zambia got a load of tickets for matches in Jo'burg (both statiums) and Durban. Plan was to fly to Lusaka and then overland with a Hi-Lux convoy though Botswana and stay with mates in SA. Basically a month long binge.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • Monkeypump
    Monkeypump Posts: 1,528
    Plenty of time to get ready... after all, the only World Cup that matters is NZ 2011...
  • mattrsa
    lol

love the anti football posts

asprilla : that sounds like it would have been one hell of a trip, shame you could not do it. But guess having a little one must be pretty cool too
    Commuter - Trek 1.2
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Awww man, what have you done to your lovely PX, spasypaddy?!

I have no interest in the World Cup, Trinidad didn't qualify this time :(
  • asprilla
    mattrsa wrote:
    asprilla : that sounds like it would have been one hell of a trip, shame you could not do it. But guess having a little one must be pretty cool too

Once in a lifetime experiance. However, I wouldn't swap it for a month with The Mighty Pickle (daughter), not even close to being tempted.

There is always the next tournament.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    notsoblue wrote:
    Awww man, what have you done to your lovely PX, spasypaddy?!

I have no interest in the World Cup, Trinidad didn't qualify this time :(
    upgraded the brakes, wheels, saddle and added an awesome flag!
  • pst88
    pst88 Posts: 621
    The girlfriend says she wants to watch the England matches. Why? She doesn't like football any other time so I don't know why she wants to all of a sudden. I can't stand watching football. If she insists on watching the games I'll just go out on a ride and she can stay in and watch them on her own.
    Bianchi Via Nirone Veloce/Centaur 2010
  • Sailorchick
    Sailorchick Posts: 202

I'm nearly ready.

I like the approach! Can't wait for the world cup to be over and thankfully married a bloke who also hates football :D
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    I'm stoked. Players at their peak and many young up and coming players! I'm excited. I may go and watch tomorrow's opening match at the Griffin.

I've got TV at home for the evening matches, Sky and Eurosports on the iPhone for any games that start during the day! I'm going to do my hardest to watch every single game.

My prediction: Spain v Argentina final. Holland third place.

I can understand that some people don't like a particular sport, but I really don't get those that go all 'Nazi' over it...
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • spasypaddy
    erm DDD sky and eurosport wont be showing it. every game is on BBC or ITV. Both of which can be streamed online.

When you say the griffin do you mean THE GRIFFIN? You dirty dirty boy
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    spasypaddy wrote:
    erm DDD sky and eurosport wont be showing it. every game is on BBC or ITV. Both of which can be streamed online.

There must be highlights, news captions, interviews, football mundial something football related on these channels during the World Cup and something that can keep me tied over until a game starts and i can get to a pub to watch it!

Yep, they've got decent screens, I can always get a seat and the beers cheap.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Mark Elvin
    Mark Elvin Posts: 997

I'm nearly ready.

I like your style.

P.S., are you a pirate, you look like one one you avatar!!!!
    2012 Cannondale Synapse
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172
    Mark Elvin wrote:

I'm nearly ready.

I like your style.

She's not, but she has got a wooden leg.

FACT!
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    Greg66 wrote:
    Mark Elvin wrote:

I'm nearly ready.

I like your style.

She's not, but she has got a wooden leg.

FACT!

I use it to smuggle pieces of eight...
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    Yes, I'm looking forward to it. England matches will be an ideal time to go out for a ride :)
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    I'm the most ambivalent about it that I've ever been. However, it is quite an important time for our business so I do care but in a "fark, fark, fark, i hope it doesn't go horribly wrong" sort of way...
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    I have lots of films etc to watch and a couple of F1 gp's recorded while I was out of the country so that should see me through okay.
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    Wait, there's a world cup? For what?
  • spasypaddy
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    spasypaddy wrote:

There must be highlights, news captions, interviews, football mundial something football related on these channels during the World Cup and something that can keep me tied over until a game starts and i can get to a pub to watch it!

Yep, they've got decent screens, I can always get a seat and the beers cheap.
    i doubt they'll have much tbf, sky tend to be of the ilk that if they aren't showing it it barely exists!

Dirty dances whilst watching the football. only £1 a dance as well
    :lol:
  • kurako
    kurako Posts: 1,098
    Its a shame velowear doesn't deliver to the UK :wink:

1010787_PRT_f_600.jpg
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    not too bothered about football....

but the Downhill world cup is 2 rounds down 4 to go.

was in fort william at the weekend for the UK round.

It was great.
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.