Canyon Ultimate Al frameset

mcrdave
mcrdave Posts: 501
edited July 2010 in Your road bikes
Just ordered one after my Specialized Allez 2005 winter bike developed a pretty nasty crack in the downtube. It's had a hard life, bought it from new nearly 6 years old but the bottle boss went last week and now 4 cracks have developed from the hole. Might just get one more ride to work out of it tomorrow!

Just wanted to say cheers to who ever posted the thread on CAAD9 alternatives in the Road Buying Advice section. I was poised ready to go for a CAAD9 frame and forks, if i could find one, but the Canyon just looked too good to miss, especially as I got a few hundred quid off through the outlet on the site.

As soon as I saw the crack last night, I knew what I wanted, so pulled the trigger. Will post a few pics when I get it.

Comments

• Hibbs
    Hibbs Posts: 291
    Good choice Sir!

But a rule of the forum seems to be "if there aren't any photo's, it doesn't exist"... :wink:
  • mcrdave
    Well I ain't got it yet, I could take a picture of the order but it isn't that exciting!

I think it'll be deliver mid-next week
  • EKIMIKE
    EKIMIKE Posts: 2,232
    Nice, will be good to see some pics.

I've just ordered the Ultimate CF (899Euros!) but i've gotta wait quite a while cos their stock is on order.
  • mcrdave
    The Ultimate CF looks good, is that the one in the outlet, red and blue?
  • EKIMIKE
    Nope it's the 2010 Ultimate CF standard frameset. I think they've reduced it because there's limited stock. I've got it in naked carbon which i'm still not too sure about but i'm definitely not a fan of the green, red or team colours.

The Ultimate Al comes with the lighter SLX forks and carbon VCLS seatpost. Interesting to know that Leif Hoste and J Van Summeren rode the Ultimate AL to top 10 P-R finishes.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I do like the look of the Canyon frames. They appear a good deal...
  • Hibbs
    I think it's a good time to get one too, as I have a feeling that they may bung their prices up soon now that they seem to have broken in to the market nicely.
  • White Line
    White Line Posts: 887
    This is what I would have went and got if I never got my CAAD.

So ... hurry up and get some pictures up! Please. :lol:
  • mcrdave
    Your CAAD is a beaut White line. It's the opposite of the colour scheme of my Canyon but I love it equally!

Still waiting for a delivery date. Been told last week in June.

Can't wait!
  • Hibbs
    Finally got my Roadlite on the road this weekend after it taking nearly 3 months for the wheels to be built up. :roll: Anyway, for a £350 frame, it's fantastic. Absolutely love it. For a training/crit bike it's going to be perfect. And that is the "Asda" aluminium Canyon frame - going by this your Ultimate Al should be nothing short of brilliant.
  • simon johnson
    simon johnson Posts: 1,064
    Give us a bloody picture then Hibbs! A two week old thread and still no Canyon pics. :shock:
    Where\'s me jumper?
  • Hibbs
    OK, here you go. Couple of quick photos so excuse the training accessories...

CIMG2090.jpg

CIMG2091.jpg

CIMG2089.jpg

Not particularly bling, but not bad for a workhorse. Besides, I've got some major bling in the pipeline for next season so this is a nice counterbalance.
  • simon johnson
    simon johnson Posts: 1,064
    Hey hey!

Looks durable enough to me, and good value for the money I think.

What are the wheels you're running on there, and why so long for the build?

Sorry, mcrdave, but when you get your act together we'll talk about your bike :)
    Where\'s me jumper?
  • Hibbs
    Hey hey!

Looks durable enough to me, and good value for the money I think.

What are the wheels you're running on there, and why so long for the build?

Sorry, mcrdave, but when you get your act together we'll talk about your bike :)

IRD cadence rims, Sapim spokes, american classic front hub, powertap elite+ rear. Recommended by the LBS as good, solid training wheels and are doing the job so far. They've built up nice and stiff too, so I can give them some beans in the climbing and sprint intervals. Having a few days away next week - National RR sportive, then 3 more days in the dales, then Sarf Lahndahn for a few days for the surrey hills. That 400-odd miles should be a good christening.

Took so long as the original wheelbuilder I went to had clearly taken on too much work and so after two months wait I asked him to return the powertap and cancelled the order. To be fair, he was pleasant and easy to deal with throughout, but the broken promises were a bit annoying. Understandably, he prioritised the expensive orders over my basic wheels. His loss though, I was going to order some Gigantex lightweight 50mms on powertap SL+ over the winter for next season's beast, but I'll now be going to the LBS for some Zipp 303s on powertap. Primo Cycles in Cambridge - fairly new I think but I'm very happy with the service and advice I got from them.

Also apols MCRdave, but no pics = it doesn't exist! Anyway, my Ford Focus Diesel Roadlite will make your Audi RS4 Ultimate Al look even better!
  • EKIMIKE
    Quick question for Hibbs RE his Canyon, where did you get the Pro Logic bars for £29.99? They'd be perfect with the wet black stem on the Ultimate CF but atm i can't see any reason to stretch to the £39.99 Ribble are selling them for when the Ritchey Comp bars seem fairly priced. Thanks.

And what happened to the Syntace stem?
  • Hibbs
    EKIMIKE wrote:
    Quick question for Hibbs RE his Canyon, where did you get the Pro Logic bars for £29.99? They'd be perfect with the wet black stem on the Ultimate CF but atm i can't see any reason to stretch to the £39.99 Ribble are selling them for when the Ritchey Comp bars seem fairly priced. Thanks.

And what happened to the Syntace stem?

Chain Reaction Cycles http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=17222

Went out on Saturday and it was just a little long at 135mm, the 120mm is a tiny bit short but it's more comfortable. Want the Syntace? £45 including recorded postage.
  • EKIMIKE
    Ah cheers for the link. Shame they're out of stock.

Won't be needing a new stem. I just wondered where it went after you'd gone to the trouble of getting it from the USA. I'm hoping the stem on the Ultimate CF will be long enough for me cos the 1.1/4 ones are near impossible to get and expensive. Could turn out to be a drawback of buying Canyon. The roadlite is 1.1/8 though right?

Nice looking build btw.
  • Hibbs
    EKIMIKE wrote:
    Ah cheers for the link. Shame they're out of stock.

Won't be needing a new stem. I just wondered where it went after you'd gone to the trouble of getting it from the USA. I'm hoping the stem on the Ultimate CF will be long enough for me cos the 1.1/4 ones are near impossible to get and expensive. Could turn out to be a drawback of buying Canyon. The roadlite is 1.1/8 though right?

Nice looking build btw.

:lol: Yeah. I was just doing my usual thing of being a tw@t and buying more than I need so I have options on the build instead of waiting to see exactly what is needed! Really must stop doing that.
  • mcrdave
    Patience is a virtue. Just on my way to pick it up, fingers crossed UPS will let me collect without 2 forms of ID... eek.

Photos soon.
  • Anonymous
    Aaaargh. Wish someone would buy my Litespeed sharpish so I could get one of the discounted 08 models... :cry:
  • EKIMIKE
    So no CAAD 9 now Napoleon D? :lol:

I'm counting down the weeks until W31! It'll be nice to see this U Al too... :wink:
  • mcrdave
    Just collected. Very nice chap at UPS took my race license as ID!

Only just got back now.

Looks bloody lovely!!!

The finish is great, loads of nice touches like the polished seat clamp, hollow headset topcap thingy.

Feels really light too, supposed to be 1280gms for a 58cm, forks are light too, around 350gms.

Just one chip on the forks but I can live with that for the discount. Get loads of manuals etc and even a torque spanner.

Apologies for the poor photo's just from my phone.

DSCF1003.jpg

DSCF1005.jpg

DSCF1008.jpg

DSCF1006.jpg

DSCF1004.jpg
  • mcrdave
    Cheers, lol. It came with a 100mm stem, too short for my lanky limbs.

So...

Stem options?

120mm

talk to me
  • EKIMIKE
    Stems for a 1.1/4 steerer are near impossible to come across. You might need to talk to Canyon and see if they'll do a swap.
  • mcrdave
    Hmm, tricky...

Have found a few syntace stems on various US sites but like you said, it isn't easy!

Have a specialized stem that does seem to fit but it's not exactly snug so am not going to risk it.

The search continues...
  • EKIMIKE
    Surely Canyon would do a straight swap?
  • Hibbs
    Re the stem, when I asked they said i had 30 days in which to return the stem provided and request a different length, which they would send for postage only (about 8 euros if memory serves). I'll try to find their email.

Edit: Can't find it now so must have deleted it, but email them and they should confirm some time next week.

Frame looks bloody lovely by the way. Quite jealous.
  • mcrdave
    Cheers hibbs, I tried to change the stem on order but they wernt having any of it. I'll try again on Monday though. Cheers
  • Anonymous
    Hmmm, stem issue is putting me off getting one. (If I ever sell that Litespeed, and the new CAAD10 looks purdy sweet...)