Planet X - is poor customer service normal or am I unlucky?

gaspode
gaspode Posts: 110
edited May 2014 in Road buying advice
Planet X make a play on their website regarding their customer service (order before 3pm and we'll despatch them same day via express delivery, etc....)
One morning last week, I ordered a couple of Planet X jerseys and some mitts - all in stock on the website and the order accepted. Pretty soon, the order status changed to 'ready to be despatched' so I was happily expecting delivery within the next day or so. Nothing arrived the following day and then later I received an email to say that one of the items was out of stock (despite being 'ready to despatch' the previous day). I replied straight back to ask that they send the remaining items - several days passed and I still don't have the items - consequently I've just spoken to one of their 'customer service' representatives - possibly one of the most unfriendly and surly young ladies I've ever had the misfortune to speak to - no explanation for the inaccurate stock levels on the website or the incorrect status on the order nor any hint of apology for the lack of response to my email - to her credit, she seems to have now updated the order as I have subsequently received a despatch note, but I'm now reluctant to give them any further business - anyone else suffered the in-stock / out of stock issues with their website and the general poor customer care, or have I just been unlucky this time?

Comments

• jswba
    jswba Posts: 491
    Sorry to hear this. From my experience, I'd say you've been unlucky. Bought a fair few things via their website, without a problem. Returns and replacements were processed and turned around really quickly, and the communication was excellent -- friendly, funny and prompt!
  • gaspode
    thanks - good to hear that they are normally o.k. - perhaps I'll try them again one day (assuming the order arrives correctly....)
  • t_mhulme
    t_mhulme Posts: 2
    Ive had nothing but good from them really, had a long delay with my order ( stuck under the ash cloud) but since then have been very attentive and even looked after me for my trouble. Sounds like you may have been a little unlucky but I would recommend them.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    If I've followed the forum correctly, they will offer you a packet of haribo, and if you send the wheels back they'll refund you a bit eventually, but only if the problem is caused by the crack in the frame made when inserting the battery pack into the seat tube
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    Gaspode wrote:
    Planet X make a play on their website regarding their customer service (order before 3pm and we'll despatch them same day via express delivery, etc....)
    One morning last week, I ordered a couple of Planet X jerseys and some mitts - all in stock on the website and the order accepted. Pretty soon, the order status changed to 'ready to be despatched' so I was happily expecting delivery within the next day or so. Nothing arrived the following day and then later I received an email to say that one of the items was out of stock (despite being 'ready to despatch' the previous day). I replied straight back to ask that they send the remaining items - several days passed and I still don't have the items - consequently I've just spoken to one of their 'customer service' representatives - possibly one of the most unfriendly and surly young ladies I've ever had the misfortune to speak to - no explanation for the inaccurate stock levels on the website or the incorrect status on the order nor any hint of apology for the lack of response to my email - to her credit, she seems to have now updated the order as I have subsequently received a despatch note, but I'm now reluctant to give them any further business - anyone else suffered the in-stock / out of stock issues with their website and the general poor customer care, or have I just been unlucky this time?

I had a similar situation, a while back...
    Placed order, received confirmation of despatch, then it all went backward, and they said the goods were faulty, so couldn't be sent... After alledgedly being sent!
    Long story, short... I don't go there anymore :wink:
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • FitzM
    FitzM Posts: 232
    Ordered something this morning, had a shipment confirmation email a few moments ago. Will keep you posted on how it goes.
    Klein Quantum, Cervelo Soloist Team, Boardman SLR 9.0S, Boardman SLS 9.8, Kinesis Racelight 4S, DengFu FM028
  • bobinski
    bobinski Posts: 570
    If this helps...

ordered jacket in sale friday afternoon and received saturday morning!
    email monday confirming despatch!!
    all my planet x orders have arrived within 72 hours.
  • STEFANOS4784
    STEFANOS4784 Posts: 4,109
    Ordered ss jersey (planet x one) Thursday night, turned up this morning, perfect (other than the jersey - avoid)
  • Planet X have always been fantastic when it comes to customer service. I ordered a headset about a month ago, and no crown race had been included in it. I emailed them at about 8pm, and got an instant reply, and they apologised, and sent me one and it was here within 48 hours.
  • sturmey
    sturmey Posts: 964
    Planet X have always been fantastic when it comes to customer service

Err...no they haven't!
    Read the OP's comments.
  • ynyswen24
    ynyswen24 Posts: 703
    Never had a problem, fast, efficient and friendly (even Brant Richards when he was still involved...). Hope you were just unlucky.
  • dogxcd
    dogxcd Posts: 67
    yes I have hust had a similar experience with the lovely caroline in customer service:
    offhand/surly & unhelpful
    this is the 2nd occasion that this has happened to me- &
    my wife also independantly received the same treament /attitude

strange ,because I've always had a good experience when buying online from /dealing with other PX staff

I can only assume that she is the boss's missus or something-no-one wld survive with that kind of approach otherwise
    i thought titanium was for life ,not just for xmas
  • HonestAl
    HonestAl Posts: 406
    I've had very good experience with PX, normally been in contact with Andy, Dave or Ian, all of whom have been dead helpful.
    "The only absolute statement is that everything is relative" - anon
  • Good service. Can't fault them - even quick to post to N.Ireland!!
  • antonyfromoz
    antonyfromoz Posts: 482
    I had a similar experience when I contacted them to see why they charge £75 to send a pair of £99 planet x model b wheels to Norway - and why they charge less than £30 to send them to Denmark and Wiggle send with free delivery for orders over £100. The response from a lady (don't remember the name) in customer service was very short and no reason was given... :roll:
  • spooky1980
    spooky1980 Posts: 18
    I also had a bad experience when i ordered my Ti frame which was IN STOCK in the end i had to wait a few weeks for it to be shipped from the states . I was going to order a carbon frame from them in the next few months but this has put me off ordering from them again.
  • mike ives
    mike ives Posts: 319
    I have only ever had excellent service from them and usually in very quick time. I cannot fault them at all. I think you must have just struck unlucky or they were short staffed or very busy etc.
  • gaspode
    A quick update - now over two weeks and I still don't have my order or a refund for the out of stock item (despite being promised both over a week ago)- seems that when things are in stock, they are fine - when things are out of stock, they seem to be clueless.....
  • I too had a bad experience with Caroline at planet X. They were having some problems with a new order system on their computers which was holding up my bike purchase. Caroline was at first unhelpful but progressed to being downright rude after several enquiries and waiting over a week for my order to be processed. In contrast, as soon as another member of the planet x team got involved they were extremely helpful, the issue was progressed immediately and resolved within hours.

From reading the other posts on the forum it does seem that the bad service is confined to one member of staff.
  • I can't honestly recall the name of the lady I spoke to at PX Customer Service, about an online order problem, but I was left feeling like an idiot, which I am not.

It could have been easily resolved, which it was when I called back and punched some different numbers into the keypad a spoke to a cheery chap instead.

I think that there is a real need for one or more of their phone people to go through charm school and remember that thing about the customer being right - even if he isn't.

I love what they do but there are times when the whole "cottage industry" thing, when used as an excuse, gets a bit tedious.
  • robbiedont
    robbiedont Posts: 89
    haha, I thought Caroline was just off with me - seems I'm not the only one...

I've never got round to writing my letter to PX, I really should do...
  • robbiedont
    robbiedont Posts: 89
    Rob is very helpful though I must say.
  • warrior4life
    warrior4life Posts: 925
    dogxcd wrote:
    yes I have hust had a similar experience with the lovely caroline in customer service:
    offhand/surly & unhelpful
    this is the 2nd occasion that this has happened to me- &
    my wife also independantly received the same treament /attitude

strange ,because I've always had a good experience when buying online from /dealing with other PX staff

I can only assume that she is the boss's missus or something-no-one wld survive with that kind of approach otherwise

Bought a bike from them and payed through paypall, there was a problem somewhere and ended up with the money taken from my account and planet x saying they hadnt recieved it..
    Spoke to Caroline on the phone and she was really not good at all, im guessing she must be smoking hot as there seems to be no other reason to employ her..

All other planet x staff have been great, i''ve bought 2 bikes and 3 sets of wheels from them and i have only good things to say... They gave me 2 carbon bottle cages for free..
    I think planet x are a fast expanding company and they may have the occasional issue with stock and one member of staff but apart from that they are one of the very best out there :)
  • NWLondoner
    NWLondoner Posts: 2,047
    I found the same thing when I purchased my bike off them over the 2009 New Year period.

In my special instructions I said that I wanted it to be delivered on a Saturday and that I would have no issue with paying extra for this. They emailed me back and asked me to speak to Caroline who would process this for me.

You would have though I had asked her to deliver the bike herself. Was really offish on the phone and it felt like I was putting her out by processing the extra fee. This was a shame as so far the experience I had with PX was second to none.

Thankfully the bike was worth it, so if you ever need to deal with PX make sure you ask to speak with someone other than Caroline.
  • As planet x owner this is shall we say interesting reading .

Apologies to the customers who have had some of the more negative experiences , we are trying to improve things to the level where we need to be at but at times it seems a bit of an uphill battle .

At the moment , and for the past year , our biggest issue is coping with our growth and getting enough quality employees in to keep us efficiently staffed .

In the past 6 months we have had a huge growth spurt , a warehouse move , a new showroom , a new operating system and a new website - our turnover has doubled and staffing has gone from 15 to circa 30 , though to be honest Ive lost count .

Clearly some customers are slipping through the net , Im told it takes 6 months for a new operating system to bed in , and it certainly takes time to train staff , both old and new , to both work on the system and to try to get them to understand the needs of our customers .

With reference to the comments aimed at Caroline there is no real excuse for shoddy telephone manner , she is actually one of our most efficient staff but has been somewhat sold short by management (me actually i guess) in that she is has been given too much workload - she processes cyclescheme which is now a very large workload and also is first to answer the phone and deal with general customer service -( we have already highlighted it as an urgent priority to get a receptionist / phone answerer but we havent sorted that yet . ) and when she is put under too much pressure it does affect her . Bottom line is its unacceptable .

In the past 4 weeks we have hired 10 people , its already making a huge difference and were starting to run more efficiently , in terms of bike building , order processing , dealing with out of stocks , refunds and generally being a proper business with efficient systems .
    Weve come a long way from back in the day when it was me , Ray and Brant , coping with explosive growth in any business is a real challenge , and at the moment it is a bit of a rollercoaster , I hope in the long run we can get everything running supersmooth with slick systems , processes , and great staff .

Anyway , bit of background .

Dave (director)
  • Percy Vera
    Percy Vera Posts: 1,103
    With reference to the comments aimed at Caroline there is no real excuse for shoddy telephone manner , she is actually one of our most efficient staff but has been somewhat sold short by management (me actually i guess) in that she is has been given too much workload - she processes cyclescheme which is now a very large workload and also is first to answer the phone and deal with general customer service -( we have already highlighted it as an urgent priority to get a receptionist / phone answerer but we havent sorted that yet . ) and when she is put under too much pressure it does affect her . Bottom line is its unacceptable .

Dave (director)

So, what are you saying? She's not smoking hot as warrior4life has suggested? :D
  • roadster1965
    roadster1965 Posts: 6
    edited June 2010
    :-)
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    How would she have known you slack off on a Friday afternoon early ? Not many people do that that I know of ?

I've always had good service from PX and I've just ordered a new bike tonight off them. I shall cross my fingers !
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    She promptly told me that I hadn't receive the call over the weekend but that I had received it on the Friday.

Well, sorry, but to me, the weekend starts at 1pm on the Friday.

to be honest - and regardless of when you finish work - she's right and you're wrong.