Commuting and the '40% tax bracket'

Comments

• shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    <snip>
    DonDaddyD wrote:

So I ask,

How were you first looked upon as a person who cycled to work?

What did you do to overcome these objections?

There were no objections, it's always been seen as admirable.

+1 I'm regarded as a bit of a nutter for risking life and limb on the roads and get, plenty of 'braver than me' comments. no one (apart from admin & H&S goblin) gives me grief

and oh to be in the position of even thinking about 40% tax.
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Back OT...

Say what you see, say what you see:

120px-Anas_platyrhynchos_%28nest%29.JPG6247F-clutch-pedal.gif250px-Clutchband.jpg
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    Good game, good game...

Eggs pedal band?

Nest pedal band?

(uses quote feature)

clutch clutch clutch?

In other news..... nobody's got mine yet! :D
  • jonginge
    Ah, too easy then. There was me thinking you'd be clutching at straws...

* Two can play the font size game ;)
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • lost_in_thought
    Winner!

Got to make sure the titles don't give them away...
  • jonginge
    Your zahada skills serve you well. :D

I think bit.ly-ing the links may have taken it a step too far...
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • lost_in_thought
    JonGinge wrote:
    Your zahada skills serve you well. :D

I think bit.ly-ing the links may have taken it a step too far...

:o OMG zahada! I can't believe I'd forgotten that even existed!

Must............. not.......................play........................................zahada.
  • jonginge
    Remove your hands from the keyboard. Step away from the zahada.

I had my fill of it last time. I blame that Ms Jackson
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • lost_in_thought
    JonGinge wrote:
    Remove your hands from the keyboard. Step away from the zahada.

I had my fill of it last time. I blame that Ms Jackson

OMG I found the old answers. I'm back on L70.... :oops:
  • jonginge
    Oh no. What have I done? A thousand apologies in advance.
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Wowser... if only this had occured at Morpeth I'd got the ring side seats and popcorn :D

:D

DDD is way too mild-mannered in person for such a conversation to take place.

Now you wound me...

Anyway I can't be vulgar all the time...

Almost sounds like you're dissapointed with my real life self...

Well, you are definitely more mild-mannered IRL. And more shy!
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    rjsterry wrote:
    T-shirt style undershirts!? Do they specify what colour pants you wear as well? Never mind the OP, I'm just glad I don't work where either LiT or DDD work/worked.

Expectations of what different people should wear are a funny thing: in my particular niche of my profession, if we all wore suits and ties we would probably scare away most of our clients (they would think we were too 'corporate' and not creative enough), even though most of them are suit-and-tie wearers themselves. We do suits (but never ties) for first meetings, but after that it's just something smart. It's all left up to common sense, and we've only ever had one incident of inappropriate dress in 10 yrs - a "Selfish C*nt" t-shirt - and even he was just told not to be so silly in future.

Of course that T-shirt was inappropriate, that band is rubbish... :wink:
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Clutch are awesome

Spacegrass

Elephant Riders
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • lost_in_thought
    JonGinge wrote:
    Oh no. What have I done? A thousand apologies in advance.

:lol: It's OK. It's fun. I'm just glad I don't have to go all the way through it again, I think there were only 75 levels anyway.
  • FrankM
    FrankM Posts: 129
    After 112k, you lose your tax-free allowance altogether, so you're paying tax on every £ you earn. Dunno if that's got anything to do with the rates fluctuation, but it sure is mean.

Why so? Isn't it fairer that people earning over £112k pay more than those earning less?
  • always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    FrankM wrote:
    After 112k, you lose your tax-free allowance altogether, so you're paying tax on every £ you earn. Dunno if that's got anything to do with the rates fluctuation, but it sure is mean.

Why so? Isn't it fairer that people earning over £112k pay more than those earning less?
    Its just a quirk of an ill conceived and pre-election politically derived tax system which means that for every £1 earned between £106k and £112k, 63p is paid in tax, whereas above and below that, its 50p and 40p, respectively. Its a glitch in the ramp, as it were.

My hunch is that the new govt will fix this problem eventually, but in any case, above that salary level is less than 1% of the working population, I thiink. Just a vocal bunch, I suppose.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    FrankM wrote:

Its just a quirk of an ill conceived and pre-election politically derived tax system which means that for every £1 earned between £106k and £112k, 63p is paid in tax, whereas above and below that, its 50p and 40p, respectively. Its a glitch in the ramp, as it were.

My hunch is that the new govt will fix this problem eventually, but in any case, above that salary level is less than 1% of the working population, I thiink. Just a vocal bunch, I suppose.

So, assuming that post is an indication of her salary expectations, when Lost_in_Thought told me she'd only date men who earned as much, near or more than she did, there really is only 1% of the population to choose from.... wow that must suck.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Clever Pun
    DonDaddyD wrote:

So, assuming that post is an indication of her salary expectations, when Lost_in_Thought told me she'd only date men who earned as much, near or more than she did, there really is only 1% of the population to choose from.... wow that must suck.

She was telling you to do one... politely
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • DonDaddyD
    Clever Pun wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

She was telling you to do one... politely

:lol: The thought did cross my mind when: (i) I was typing that. (ii) at the time and (iii) when she told me what type of men she doesn't find attractive - the sentence that preceded the salary one...
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • lost_in_thought
    Deary me.

I wish I did earn over £100k. It's actually my most recent ex, who I keep in touch with. Soon though, soon I will have all the money IN THE WORLD bwahahahahaaaaaaaaa.*

*Or not.
  • always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    Deary me.

I wish I did earn over £100k. It's actually my most recent ex, who I keep in touch with. Soon though, soon I will have all the money IN THE WORLD bwahahahahaaaaaaaaa.*

*Or not.
    Wait, DDD is your most recent ex? And he earns over 100k?
  • lost_in_thought
    Deary me.

*Or not.
    Wait, DDD is your most recent ex? And he earns over 100k?

Finally, someone who can actually get a handle on what's going on here.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,412
    Well i was beginning to wonder, the way the two of them make such a thing of not being each other's type - classic sign, that. :twisted:
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,629
    I can see the next meeting at the Morpeth full of long searching looks and much admiration for flowing locks and fearsome thighs... and that's just CP admiring himself in the mirror :D
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • lost_in_thought
    rjsterry wrote:
    Well i was beginning to wonder, the way the two of them make such a thing of not being each other's type - classic sign, that. :twisted:

Oi! Just the one of him I think, who's making such a thing of anything...

:twisted:
  • DonDaddyD
    edited June 2010
    So I'm the only one claiming 'not my type'. So your not claiming that I'm not your type?

.... does that mean I am your type?

Bom chika wha wah
    Food Chain number = 4

• Clever Pun
    I can see the next meeting at the Morpeth full of long searching looks and much admiration for flowing locks and fearsome thighs... and that's just CP admiring himself in the mirror :D

I am awesome
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • DonDaddyD
    Clever Pun wrote:

I am awesome

What's it like being tall, I've always wondered what the world looks like from above peoples scalps?
    Food Chain number = 4

• Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:

I am awesome

What's it like being tall, I've always wondered what the world looks like from above peoples scalps?

It's cool until you get old and get back problems
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • lost_in_thought
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    So I'm the only one claiming 'not my type'. So your not claiming that I'm not your type?

.... does that mean I am your type?

Bom chika wha wah

Afraid not! I tend to go for tall blond guys, and I'm afraid you're neither of those things!

I meant you're the only one who keeps going on about it :P