Commuting and the '40% tax bracket'

Comments

• DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    I do have a full and proper understanding of equal opportunities and discrimination.

So, why did you think the temp was in counselling? Hmmmmmmmmmm?

I didn't, my post was decidedly pointed...

You said that people who earn more weren't all bastwards. You're right they aren't but I also found what you wrote ironic as you previously mentioned that a woman at your former employer was sacked on the grounds that she was fat. You were the hatchet person and had to give different reasons.

I also challenged the notion that regardless of what reasons given, people aren't stupid and the knock on effects of those actions taken by your employer could have affected the women thus...
    Also, see my post at the top of this page.

A similar rule is imposed on men. See above, I can explain again if you like. With pictures, if that helps.

What's more, men had to wear a tie and jacket. Women didn't. Men were also told to wear a t-shirt style undershirt, women weren't.

Everyone understood how much their image mattered. And personally I wouldn't wear flats if I wanted to look smart.

Pictures... yeah "people who earn more aren't bastwards" Right. :roll:

I can't comment on the pretentiousness of your employer or the unprofessional actions. You also appear to be conditioned not to accept anything that may suggest they were wrong or have overstepped the mark. So I'm going to play with the little people now.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,412
    T-shirt style undershirts!? Do they specify what colour pants you wear as well? Never mind the OP, I'm just glad I don't work where either LiT or DDD work/worked.

Expectations of what different people should wear are a funny thing: in my particular niche of my profession, if we all wore suits and ties we would probably scare away most of our clients (they would think we were too 'corporate' and not creative enough), even though most of them are suit-and-tie wearers themselves. We do suits (but never ties) for first meetings, but after that it's just something smart. It's all left up to common sense, and we've only ever had one incident of inappropriate dress in 10 yrs - a "Selfish C*nt" t-shirt - and even he was just told not to be so silly in future.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • JonGinge wrote:
    Cheque is in the post

Reminds me of the joke about the unsuccessful, eastern European, lion tamer. Punchline: "The Czech is in the male."
    Never be tempted to race against a Barclays Cycle Hire bike. If you do, there are only two outcomes. Of these, by far the better is that you now have the scalp of a Boris Bike.
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    I didn't, my post was decidedly pointed...

2325920887_b206236832.jpg
  • rjsterry
    suzyb wrote:
    Well LiT and I will never end up working for the same company. Any employer asks me to wear high heels when a pair of flatter shoes can look just as smart will get told where to stick their job.

Or more pertinently, the pair of heels.

Mind you, a quick glance under the desk reveals that today's boots aren't exactly flat.

Let's see if Greg T is watching
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• lost_in_thought
    rjsterry wrote:
    T-shirt style undershirts!? Do they specify what colour pants you wear as well? Never mind the OP, I'm just glad I don't work where either LiT or DDD work/worked.

Expectations of what different people should wear are a funny thing: in my particular niche of my profession, if we all wore suits and ties we would probably scare away most of our clients (they would think we were too 'corporate' and not creative enough), even though most of them are suit-and-tie wearers themselves. We do suits (but never ties) for first meetings, but after that it's just something smart. It's all left up to common sense, and we've only ever had one incident of inappropriate dress in 10 yrs - a "Selfish C*nt" t-shirt - and even he was just told not to be so silly in future.

It is interesting, I'm sure the very 1980's style power-dressing that went on at this particular place would be thought idiotic in a different environment, but for what these guys do (super-prime development) it seemed to work. I guess it's all about your client base and how the company wants to come across.

However, if you want to hear about restrictive dress codes, try talking to cabin crew!
  • DonDaddyD
    rjsterry wrote:

I once arrived at work wearing a wooly hate with a peak, my casual jacket and jeans.

On the way to my office the old administrator couldn't see my face properly so walked past me so closely against the wall I could hear her scrapping against it. She looked so terrified.

She then had the audacity to tell my manager about dresscode, so I kindly had a word reminding her that she has been working with another guy for 10years who has worn jeans every single day I've been there and she has yet to find an issue with him. I looked at her again and asked quite frankly what her problem was with me wearing jeans.

She shut the f*ck up from that point onwards as she knew I was right.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • DonDaddyD
    edited June 2010
    I don't see my pointed question as a straw-man argument.

Orginally it was posted as a question:
    DDD wrote:
    Is she ok, not mentally wounded, developed an eating disorder or anything, no?

The straw-man approach was applied when I was then accused of assuming she was in counselling. I did no such thing.
    Food Chain number = 4

• rjsterry
    You'd think that by the time we are all in employment, we'd be grown up enough that we wouldn't need such things as dress codes, and would be able to judge what was appropriate all by ourselves.

BTW. Traditional dress for my profession is a bow tie, as a normal neck tie could get caught in the parallel motion of one's drawing board and smear make a mess of any ink that was still drying. Another reason to be glad of the advent of CAD.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Olivia,

In answer to your questions:

Laurence spelt with a 'u'. Carries weight, yes.

:wink:

Also there are at least 2 Olivia's on this forum... usernames are there for a reason...

imo using real names is when you're having an actual convo rather than broadcasting
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • lost_in_thought
    rjsterry wrote:
    You'd think that by the time we are all in employment, we'd be grown up enough that we wouldn't need such things as dress codes, and would be able to judge what was appropriate all by ourselves.

BTW. Traditional dress for my profession is a bow tie, as a normal neck tie could get caught in the parallel motion of one's drawing board and smear make a mess of any ink that was still drying. Another reason to be glad of the advent of CAD.

I guess it's like the 'caution hot' written on coffee cups - if there wasn't a proven need it wouldn't be there.

Even having worked somewhere like where I was, I was surprised by the dress code for the 2 airlines a good friend has crewed for.

Here's a chunk from a union's news re. dress code on one of the airlines, to give you an idea:
    Low Denier Tights

You have also raised concerns about the requirement regarding the low denier tights. You suggested that the requirement was unreasonable, as lower denier tights do not last very long, consequently more expensive. You were also concerned that this material is inappropriate for the inclement weather.

We have raised this matter with the management without any success. We will keep you advised of any developments.
  • lost_in_thought
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Editted.

Did you work it out then? :P
  • DonDaddyD
    I don't see my pointed question as a straw-man argument.

Orginally it was posted as a question:
    DDD wrote:
    Is she ok, not mentally wounded, developed an eating disorder or anything, no?

The straw-man approach was applied when I was then accused of assuming she was in counselling. I did no such thing.
    Food Chain number = 4

• lost_in_thought
    :lol:

A 'no' would have sufficed.
  • DonDaddyD
    Going green, filling with rage...

What did you mean then Lost_in_Thought or is this now a conversation where I can use your real name or does there have to be a measure of familiarity before I do so?
    Food Chain number = 4

• lost_in_thought
    :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Not telling. Keep trying.

EDIT:
    fishing.gif

smiley-laughing004.gif
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,629
    Wowser... if only this had occured at Morpeth I'd got the ring side seats and popcorn :D
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • DonDaddyD
    Was that I'm right and you just couldn't bring yourself to admit to it as doing so would revoke your upper class rights and demote you to working class? So instead you posted straws?

Are straws an aphrodisiac to you? Is this something I should know along with how ugly a bike would have to be...

Was it your way of defusing the conversation as we are both to stubborn to budge from our stance?

If we both had a straw war who would win?

Was it that Han Solo shot first?
    Food Chain number = 4

• lost_in_thought
    Wowser... if only this had occured at Morpeth I'd got the ring side seats and popcorn :D

:D

DDD is way too mild-mannered in person for such a conversation to take place.
  • _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    Is it 'a fistful of straws'?

Or 'a straw in the hand is worth two in the the bacardi breezer'?

Christ, the suspense is killing me...
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    edited June 2010
    Stress and nervous tension are now serious social problems in all parts of the Galaxy, and it is in order that this situation should not in any way be exacerbated that the following facts will now be revealed. The meaning of the photo is....

Nope. Nothing here
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • DonDaddyD

Now you wound me...

Anyway I can't be vulgar all the time...

Almost sounds like you're dissapointed with my real life self...
    Food Chain number = 4

• lost_in_thought

Nah, you're actually much nicer in person.

Come on, keep trying, it's not that hard.

You should watch more catchphrase. I love that show.
  • MonkeyMonster

True, until he's had more than a few banana beers and then the hulk emerges :D
  • MonkeyMonster

You're close, but its not quite right

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Izet8zN1vmE
  • lost_in_thought

You're close, but its not quite right

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Izet8zN1vmE

smiley-laughing024.gif

I'm enjoying these animated laughing faces.
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    You're plucking at straws.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,358
    I'm lost

What was this thread about?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    I'm lost

What was this thread about?

Don't worry about it - it's one of DDD's. They always do this :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • lost_in_thought
    suzyb wrote:
    You're plucking at straws.

It's good...... but it's not right! :D

By far the closest so far though.