See ya Valv.Piti

13»

Comments

• DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    iainf72 wrote:

Look at Landis... people believed him and sent him money?

Nice to know where you stand Iván

Its like the house of commons corruption saga... because everyone (or so they like to believe) is at it they feel morally justified to cheat

same sort of mentality... why pick on me or my mates.. Its the sense of indignation and injustice that someone has banned them . Yet they cant see it from there POV

That's spooky - when the expenses scandal broke, I was discussing it with some friends who aren't into cycling (I know, but I've them for years and I can't just dump them) and I drew a parallel with doping in cycling - when everyone is at it, no-one thinks it is "wrong" any more.
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • pomtarr
    pomtarr Posts: 318
    Pokerface wrote:
    Roscobob wrote:
    Will the prize money be taken back off him?
    Yes.
    But do the rightful winners get the wonga they deserve, I wonder?
    "Difficult, difficult, lemon difficult"
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    MMmmm....."I've just lost my gravy train, now who is going to pay for my medical programme?"
    The Spanish riders just can't get the hang of the new language of dope speak. They'd make lousy politicians.

Yes a top response, except for the bit where he says Valverde has been fooling the fans.
    He's fooled no one, except for those who chose to ignore the obvious, preferring to idolise the man.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • squired wrote:
    It is sad that Valverde still wants to fight. Then again look at Landis. He cheated for years, then when finally caught he got into a massive (and expensive) legal battle.

I love the latest article on CN where the Spanish are complaning this ban is actually more like 3 years because Valverde didn't get to ride the Tour in 2009. What a joke.

therein lies the real problem,the spanish federation clearly has no interest dealing with its own cheats,indeed it actively seems to protect them.id like to see the UCI doing something about that.
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    "Iván Gutiérrez Open Letter - Regards Alejandro Valverde's Ban
    I call on all the sporting authorities….S.O.S... Cycling is dying…Help us. Now."

You broke the sport and now you want tea and sympathy?

Suck it up, princess.
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    I can't believe Gutiérrez's letter, it shows you have far removed some riders are from reality, even if Spain itself seems dumbfounded by the move on Valverde.
  • avoidingmyphd
    avoidingmyphd Posts: 1,154
    Gutiérrez's letter is actually pretty coherent. It is a clear example of the mindset that it isn't the actual doping that is cheating, only failing doping controls. And from this perspective, the authorities cheated by catching him otherwise than through a conventional doping control.

Obviously this is largely a conceit. But the authorities share the blame for the development of this mindset. e.g. the 50% haematocrit limit - which is still in force - is an example of this thinkingy.
  • ratsbeyfus
    ratsbeyfus Posts: 2,841
    iainf72 wrote:

+1 - Another great find Iain.

I had one of them red bikes but I don't any more. Sad face.

@ratsbey
  • alanmcn1
    alanmcn1 Posts: 531
    have been the team-mate of some of the most talented riders: Olano, Beloki, Gonzalez de Galdeano, Jalabert, Pereiro and Menchov.

I have wee'd myself!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Great list of trustworthy characters
    Robert Millar for knighthood
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    To be honest to the Spanish people in general if you look at the letter in the As newspaper, most of the people commenting the letter are appaled by it.

http://www.as.com/ciclismo/articulo/car ... icic_2/Tes

So am I by the way. Absolutely disgraceful.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Yes a top response, except for the bit where he says Valverde has been fooling the fans.
    He's fooled no one, except for those who chose to ignore the obvious, preferring to idolise the man.

I know someone like that..... 8)
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    valv.jpg
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Pokerface wrote:

I know someone like that..... 8)
    Moi aussi
  • avoidingmyphd
    avoidingmyphd Posts: 1,154
    Delgado's weighing in now.
    With total nonsense about the injustice being the delay that, er, Valverde caused himself:
    I do not know why they had to wait so long [to decide on his ban] because he wanted to get on with things or decide that yes, there was no alternative
    and also confirming what I said above, that the injustice is that he didn't "test positive" in the conventional sense:
    The controls of the UCI, which are the flag to save this sport don't mean anything because they punish someone who has had 60 [anti-doping] controls and they [the UCI] still cast doubt on his professionalism
    which I understand to be complaining that they had the cheek to ban him even though he passed 60 doping tests.
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/delgado ... r-valverde

The first quote is detached from reality. The second reflects a different understanding of what is and is not cheating in this sport that is obviously pretty common.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Valverde now saying he will do his time and come back in 19 months to win again:

"I will serve out the ban and I will come back," Valverde told Spanish paper Marca, according to news agency AFP, signalling his intention to return to cycling when his two-year suspension expires on December 31, 2011.

"They will not bury me, as certain people would like to do," Valverde continued defiantly.

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/lat ... -back.html
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,811
    Next Olympic champion anyone?
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Next Olympic champion anyone?

Cav
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Bless, dodgy old Moreau is lost without Valverde

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/moreau- ... t-valverde
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    nice to see him finally get a ban and I think this makes him only about the fourth rider to actually get a ban from Puerto.

What this case should teach us is how stupid it is to have a national federation look after the doping controls on it's own athletes. What incentive did they have to go after their biggest star ?
  • donrhummy
    donrhummy Posts: 2,329
    afx237vi wrote:
    Bit of a shame about all the races and the millions and millions of euros he made between 2006 and January 2010 though... but whatever.

Yeah, why are his victories during all that time still "his"? He should have them all stripped.
  • AidanR
    AidanR Posts: 1,142
    sherer wrote:
    nice to see him finally get a ban and I think this makes him only about the fourth rider to actually get a ban from Puerto.

What this case should teach us is how stupid it is to have a national federation look after the doping controls on it's own athletes. What incentive did they have to go after their biggest star ?

None. Which is why Contador is still racing.

Allegedly
    Bike lover and part-time cyclist.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Apparently the UCI offered him a reduced sentance and to keep his wins if he said the blood bag was his.

He could be back and winning sooner than expected.

http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/4497/ ... h-UCI.aspx
    Contador is the Greatest
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    Apparently the UCI offered him a reduced sentance and to keep his wins if he said the blood bag was his.

He could be back and winning sooner than expected.

http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/4497/ ... h-UCI.aspx

They sure know how to make themselves look stupid don't they? "If you cop to what we've already proven you did we'll reduce your punishment!"

What are they thinking?
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    What are they thinking?
    The only reason I can think of is that it avoids more legal fees for the UCI to counter his appeal.
    Of course, Meta2Mil reports that Valverde's lawyers have advised him to refuse the deal and wait for the appeal
    I bet they did - gravy train for those boys
  • Dgh
    Dgh Posts: 180
    What should we expect of a man who can bleat about injustice with a straight face when he his blood, complete with EPO, was found in the clinic of a doping doctor? As someone who loves cycling and loves Spain, what really pisses me off is that the Spanish cycling establishment is still supportive of him.

I think it's reasonable that those who 'fess up and explain what they did, how they did it and with whom they did it should get some credit. How much depends on when they fess up - David Millar getting the same suspension as Vino is wrong. Maybe 12 months for someone doing a Chiotti, 18 months for a Millar, 2 years otherwise.

The evidence against Valverde is strong, and he's dragged the reputation of cycling through mud for years, so he should get minimal credit if he now starts to talk. Personally I think that if he never darkens the sport again it'll be too soon.