See ya Valv.Piti

Comments

• stagehopper
    stagehopper Posts: 1,593
    Still maintain there wasn't a lot UCI/Spanish could do. Spanish couldn't act on Puerto as wasn't illegal to blood dope in Spain until late 2006 hence they were afforded no access by judicial authorities to blood bags from before this time. And UCI can only act when national federation has evidence.

Once the Italians circumvented the blood bag veto with a nice sleight of hand, both UCi and Spanish federation pressed on with making ban worlwide. Delays since have been CAS's long adjuciation on the validity of the Italian ban, and once that had gone against Valverde CAS had to make a separate ruling on the Spanish/UCI request to extend it worldwide.
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    Valverde will have a lot of free time on his hands now eh..
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    Contador just lost the other half of his Tour team! :P
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,822
    Contador just lost the other half of his Tour team! :P

:lol:

nah the other half wont have divided loyalties now
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • avoidingmyphd
    avoidingmyphd Posts: 1,154
    Still maintain there wasn't a lot UCI/Spanish could do. Spanish couldn't act on Puerto as wasn't illegal to blood dope in Spain until late 2006 hence they were afforded no access by judicial authorities to blood bags from before this time. And UCI can only act when national federation has evidence.

Once the Italians circumvented the blood bag veto with a nice sleight of hand, both UCi and Spanish federation pressed on with making ban worlwide. Delays since have been CAS's long adjuciation on the validity of the Italian ban, and once that had gone against Valverde CAS had to make a separate ruling on the Spanish/UCI request to extend it worldwide.

I still don't understand why the sleight of hand was needed - although it was a good one. What is the connection between blood doping not being illegal and the authorities hoarding the blood? This is a genuine question, and I realise it needs someone competent in Spanish law to answer, but there are a lot of people on here who know these kind of things! Anyone?
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    both UCi and Spanish federation pressed on with making ban worlwide.
    Not so, the Spaniards sat on the matter. The UCI told them to get a move on but Madrid blocked all investigation and refused to ban Valverde. For once the UCI actually did something useful here and brought both Valverde and the Spanish cycling authorities to court.
  • Bakunin
    Bakunin Posts: 868
    Went for a long ride in my Valverde Spanish Champions jersey this afternoon.

Came home and buried it in my backyard.

Hate to see you go, get the hell out...
  • Moomaloid
    Moomaloid Posts: 2,040
    afx237vi wrote:
    Great news. Hopefully AFX won't retrospectively apply to PTP.

Hell no. Landis set the precedent for that one.

Respect!
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Good of the UCI to wait until after the Giro to announce this one.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,474
    Dave_1 wrote:
    Valverde will have a lot of free time on his hands now eh..

He can spend some of it walking his dog. :wink:
  • pomtarr
    pomtarr Posts: 318
    Any word on what action (if any) Caisse are going to take now?
    "Difficult, difficult, lemon difficult"
  • andyp
    They'll sack him citing some bull about it being against their policies.

But let's be frank, they knew full well what they were doing when they set up a team run by Eusebio Unzue and his merry men. As a French bank they could have backed a French run team but that probably wouldn't have meant they got as much coverage for winning races, so they took the devil's coin.
  • domhopson
    domhopson Posts: 259
    Wit Woo :)
  • Pokerface
    What a surprise. Valverde vows to fight on and take his case to the Swiss Supreme Court. And it looks like his team is supporting him:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/valverd ... suspension

After the Swiss Supreme Courts rules against him - what is next? The United Nations? Intergalactic Court of Justice? :roll:

But in the meantime he won't be able to ride. Should keep him out of the Tour this year again. Don't think he can push his appeal through the Supreme Court that fast.
  • dulldave
    dulldave Posts: 949
    Bakunin wrote:

They were arguing about legal technicalities and not whether the blood was his or not. If that's your feelings on the matter then you should have buried the thing about a year ago when the Italians matched his DNA.
    Scottish and British...and a bit French
  • andyp
    He's claiming the Armstrong defence I see.
    Valv.Piti wrote:
    "none of the victories were obtained through use of prohibited practices, which is confirmed because Alejandro Valverde, possibly the most controlled the athlete in the world, has never failed a doping test."

All very interesting but somehow it fails to mention that his blood, which contained EPO, was being stored by a doctor who has confessed to running a doping program for money. Funny that.
  • Bakunin
    Bakunin Posts: 868
    dulldave wrote:
    Bakunin wrote:

They were arguing about legal technicalities and not whether the blood was his or not. If that's your feelings on the matter then you should have buried the thing about a year ago when the Italians matched his DNA.

Yeah, with the DNA and the EPO, that is when I dug the hole.

I couldn't pull the trigger until it was official. My weakness.

It is an outrage that he gets to keep those victories.
  • sonny73
    sonny73 Posts: 2,203
    Good, I'm glad a decision one way or the other has finally been reached. It was dragging on way too long.
  • alanmcn1
    alanmcn1 Posts: 531
    Just catching up on news......................YEEEESSSSSSSSSSS!!! :lol::lol::lol::lol:
    Robert Millar for knighthood
  • sonny73
    sonny73 Posts: 2,203
    No Dauphine hat trick then.
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    Why have they decided to revoke all wins and make him pay back prize money from 1st Jan 2010 ?

They're not going to remove his wins prior to this, say they have no evidence he was dopting then, so why this date of 1st Jan ?

And 1st Jan for the ban too - as it's today 1st June and he's been racing the last 5 months, it's a 19-month ban, surely ?
  • Pokerface
    It's a 19-month ban if you look at it as time he was allowed to race. But it's a 2 year ban once you take the results away.

Banned riders can still ride their bikes and train. Just not in races. So look at it as all the racing he did this year was just hard training now as the results don't count.
  • Roscobob
    Roscobob Posts: 344
    Will the prize money be taken back off him?
  • Pokerface
    Roscobob wrote:

Yes.
  • Roscobob
    Roscobob Posts: 344
    Pokerface wrote:
    Roscobob wrote:

Yes.

Cheers mate
  • squired
    squired Posts: 1,153
    It is sad that Valverde still wants to fight. Then again look at Landis. He cheated for years, then when finally caught he got into a massive (and expensive) legal battle.

I love the latest article on CN where the Spanish are complaning this ban is actually more like 3 years because Valverde didn't get to ride the Tour in 2009. What a joke.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,822
    iainf72 wrote:

Look at Landis... people believed him and sent him money?

Nice to know where you stand Iván

Its like the house of commons corruption saga... because everyone (or so they like to believe) is at it they feel morally justified to cheat

same sort of mentality... why pick on me or my mates.. Its the sense of indignation and injustice that someone has banned them . Yet they cant see it from there POV
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • andyp
    iainf72 wrote:

So he's saying as long as you pass the controls it's okay. Nice to know. I hope they don't get a new sponsor.

This will be Dave_1 on reading this;

ScannersExplodingHead.gif
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    iainf72 wrote:

"Today it is Alejandro Valverde’s turn but how many team-mates did we lose along the way since that famous year 2006?"

W. T. F.

Yeah it's a real blow for cycling that people like Ricco, Rasmussen and Valverde aren't allowed to make a living. A travesty alright.