See ya Valv.Piti

iainf72
iainf72 Posts: 15,784
edited June 2010 in Pro race
Banned for 2 years, effective Jan 2010.

All victories since that date removed.

http://www.marca.com/2010/05/31/ciclism ... 1275320071

Heavyweight.
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

Comments

• iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Fcuk yeah. About time. :D
  • ratsbeyfus
    ratsbeyfus Posts: 2,841
    Yay!

I had one of them red bikes but I don't any more. Sad face.

@ratsbey
  • stjohnswell
    stjohnswell Posts: 482
    Great news. Hopefully AFX won't retrospectively apply to PTP.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Woo hoo!!
  • jimmythecuckoo
    jimmythecuckoo Posts: 4,712
    Brilliant news that... one more cheat bites the dust.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Bit of a shame about all the races and the millions and millions of euros he made between 2006 and January 2010 though... but whatever.
  • Pokerface
    Yeah - particularly the Vuelta title last summer.
  • afx237vi
    Great news. Hopefully AFX won't retrospectively apply to PTP.

Hell no. Landis set the precedent for that one.
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    iainf72 wrote:

Heavyweight.

FF will fling himself into the River Seine on hearing this news !
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • saymush
    saymush Posts: 80
    Well its good to see all the glee that hes going to lose his money and victories, no doubt your own heros are all clean.

Wiggins for egsample driven snow Im sure
    Basso shows he can come back to the levels previously attained (when he was clean)
    Armstrong

etc etc

Relief satisfaction etc all positive responses Glee is negative

Said
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    afx237vi wrote:
    Bit of a shame about all the races and the millions and millions of euros he made between 2006 and January 2010 though... but whatever.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/valverd ... ps-results

"The CAS considered that there was no evidence that any of the results obtained by Mr Valverde prior to 1 January 2010 was through doping infraction

There is your annswer to that one rightly or wrongly.
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • Pokerface
    If/when others are caught - I will cheer when they also get banned. Valverde stuck two fingers up to the cycling establishment these past 4 years while others did their time and came back.

If he admits what he has done I will probably cheer his accomplishments when he eventually returns.
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    saymush wrote:
    Well its good to see all the glee that hes going to lose his money and victories, no doubt your own heros are all clean.

Wiggins for egsample driven snow Im sure
    Basso shows he can come back to the levels previously attained (when he was clean)
    Armstrong

etc etc

Relief satisfaction etc all positive responses Glee is negative

Said

Valverde - blood found with his name on it.
    Wiggins - never been implicated in any scandal. Ever.
    Basso - did the crime, did the time.
    Armstrong - well, you've just walked straight into a nest of Lance defenders on BR. :wink:
  • afx237vi
    Moray Gub wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/valverd ... ps-results

"The CAS considered that there was no evidence that any of the results obtained by Mr Valverde prior to 1 January 2010 was through doping infraction

There is your annswer to that one rightly or wrongly.

Fair enough. We don't know whether he was doped or not after Operacion Puerto became public in 2006, but it's still a shame that the whole process has taken so long. He's been allowed to compete whilst at the peak of his powers, while others have been banned for a similar thing. It leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
  • fiftyacorns
    fiftyacorns Posts: 66
    woohoo! pity hes keeping his results and a pity it didnt happen sooner
  • ratsbeyfus
    ratsbeyfus Posts: 2,841
    Moray Gub wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

Heavyweight.

FF will fling himself into the River Seine on hearing this news !

Are you suggesting FF is, ahem, 'Inseine'?

Badoom Tish.

I had one of them red bikes but I don't any more. Sad face.

@ratsbey
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    UCI/ Spanish Federation in "finger pulled out" shocker!

Bout bloody time, see ya.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    About time. In reality it is too late, he has "stolen" results when he should have been sitting out a ban.

Now I want to see what his team have to say, for a long time they said there was "no evidence" but clearly the Italians and now CAS, plus the UCI, think otherwise.
  • luckao
    luckao Posts: 632
    Cadel for the Vuelta!
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    At least this gives the authorities some credibility back. I am glad all the to-ing and fro-ing has now stopped and am glad that only this year's wins have been taken away.

I will miss the excitement and style he brought to races.

He will come back in two years and clean up once again, just like many others who have served bans and returned. For some riders, doping simply increases their abilities somewhat, but even without doping, riding against un-doped competitors they will still dominate.

This ban also means that Evans now moves into the lead of the UCI World Ranking - definitely deserves that recognition.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • disgruntledgoat
    For some riders, doping simply increases their abilities somewhat, but even without doping, riding against un-doped competitors they will still dominate.

So why did he do it then if he didn't need to?
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,150
    Update the sig line, FF.

Edit: OK, you have done
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    I guess I had to remove Valverde and his 5 wins from my signature.

Will this 2 years cover racing in Italy? He has been banned there for some time, so if it didn't, he would effectively be serving a 2 year ban place a ban longer than 2 years in Italy.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,812
    I would doubt it. Worldwide means worldwide, so effectively, a 4 year ban in Italy.
    Tough, but that's the roll of the dice. Gamble and lose.
    In anycase, is it actually 2 years?
    The 30-year-old Valverde cannot compete until January 2012.

Back in time for the monster TDU? :lol:
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,805

I wonder why :roll:
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    edited May 2010
    all this amounts to is an early finish to his season...he's packed a lot of race days in already this season so even removing the wins...he's not physically removed from competition for 2 years. I bet he still feels like sh *t today looking into that wilderness though. That's a lot of training and no peak but he will have elite bunches to train in so will always no where he is all through the ban and he's a millionaire sure so it won't hurt him at all.
  • disgruntledgoat

For the chronically stupid (myself),please elaborate.

@gietvangent
  • mididoctors
    Dave_1 wrote:
    all this amounts to is an early finish to his season...he's packed a lot of race days in already this season so even removing the wins...he's not physically removed from competition for 2 years. I bet he still feels like sh *t today looking into that wilderness though. That's a lot of training and know peak but he will have elite bunches to train in so will always no where he is all through the ban and he's a millionaire sure so it won't hurt him at all.

+1

yeah it aint that much of a punishment for the guys at the top...
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors

For the chronically stupid (myself),please elaborate.

actually on reflection I'm talking cr4p... i withdraw the comment