Beetroot juice improving performance................YUKI!!!

13»

Comments

• sedliak
    sedliak Posts: 13
    So, as a matter of curiosity, if beetroot does offer some form of performance enhancement, are the effects merely for the duration of it being in your system? I mean, with many "doping" products the benefit comes from being able to push harder in training.
  • Alex_Simmons/RST
    Alex_Simmons/RST Posts: 4,161
    Rabk wrote:
    Rabk wrote:
    My experience mirrors yours. I have been taking beetroot juice for the last 4 weeks and I am noticing a steady drop in performance..........particularly in respect of Heart rate.

On analysis of my garmin files it is clear that i seem to fail at 7 or 8 beats lower than normal.

I have been struggling to pace TT's due to this as I am taking my H/R up to the usual level, but this seems too high - consequently I struggle towards the end of the event. In light of your comments I am starting to wonder if the juice is having a negative effect for me :(
    HR is not a measure of performance, power is.
    Using HR to pace by can be folly due to the daily variations in HR response.

I'm not questioning if the juice is / isn't helping you, just trying to understand what's actually going on, as HR is misleading and pretty much irrelevant wrt performance. You are either putting out more power or you're not, that's what matters (physiologically).

Indeed you are correct Alex,I agree H/R varies according to other circumstances, but the drop has been quite noticeable.

I have been training with/by power since january this year(powertap), haven't used it on the TT bike as yet (Just ordered power cranks for that purpose)

As for my power figures over the last 4 weeks, there has been a small decline ( perhaps 5 -10 watts) based on Average watts over a ride (same circuit)
    OK, well have you examined all possible explanations, e.g. reviewed training loads and composition for trends (or stagnation), any possible other factors (illness, stress, lack of sleep, change of diet, changes in equipment/position, motivation levels, rest of life factors and so on).
  • AndyTuck
    AndyTuck Posts: 3
    A write up on why beetroot juice is supposed to enhance performance is here (from original research):

http://www.exeter.ac.uk/news/research/title_145007_en.html

Plus some more comments on cyclists using it here:

http://www.wheelsuckers.co.uk/forum/topics/beetroot-juice-love-it-hate-it

It's the nitrate that's supposed to do the trick. Also, I've read other sources that explain that beetroot juice lowers blood pressure which would explain why HR drops when using it.
  • Herbsman
    Herbsman Posts: 2,029
    AndyTuck wrote:
    Also, I've read other sources that explain that beetroot juice lowers blood pressure which would explain why HR drops when using it.
    That would cause heart rate to increase.
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,805
    Isn't SIS bringing out a nitrate gel? or sumfink... which your supposed to start using a few days before the event?

Also that latex crap BSN endorush...thats a nitrate thing no?
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • poynedexter
    poynedexter Posts: 283
    i've tried the beetroot juice.... has anyone else noticed that their pee isnt pink, but a pink tinge to the poo! very strange. i'm thinking is my body not absorbing it like it should?
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Are you having too many 'mainly having beetroot' days? :mrgreen:
  • woody1545
    woody1545 Posts: 322
    Jani Brajkovic just twitted this picture of fellow Astana rider Borut Bozic downing some lovely Beetroot juice before they ride the Olympic Road Race for Slovenia tomorrow.

He's 300 - 1 to out sprint Cav tomorrow. If he wins I predict an increase in Beetroot juice sales.
  • fastandfurry
    fastandfurry Posts: 138
    Herbsman wrote:
    AndyTuck wrote:
    Also, I've read other sources that explain that beetroot juice lowers blood pressure which would explain why HR drops when using it.

Why would you expect that? Surely lowered blood pressure would allow blood to flow more easily ==> heart working less hard ==> less beats per minute for the same flow of blood. This was how I understood beetroot juice to work, by allowing blood to flow more easily (due to the presence of NO which causes vasodilation).

Or have I got it all wrong?
  • poynedexter
    poynedexter Posts: 283
    and pink poo has less rolling resistance to :mrgreen:
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    Am I one of only two who like the taste of Beet It! juice? Hmmmn, lovely! :wink:

PP
  • Herbsman
    Herbsman Posts: 2,029
    Herbsman wrote:
    AndyTuck wrote:

Why would you expect that? Surely lowered blood pressure would allow blood to flow more easily ==> heart working less hard ==> less beats per minute for the same flow of blood. This was how I understood beetroot juice to work, by allowing blood to flow more easily (due to the presence of NO which causes vasodilation).

Or have I got it all wrong?
    I have worked with drug abusers in the past. One of the effects of a certain drug is to reduce blood pressure. The heart beats faster to try to increase the pressure back to 'normal'.
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!
  • Pilot Pete wrote:
    Am I one of only two who like the taste of Beet It! juice? Hmmmn, lovely! :wink:

PP

I have been taking shots through the day for the last couple of weeks.

I "cut" mine with lemon squash in 100ml bottles using the Beet it brand. 4-5 a day.

Now I have felt my legs feeling stronger and I find it easier to keep going for longer distances. However I have been training harder recently and eating better.

Personally I am treating these shots as one of my 5 a day. The advice I have been given with regards to fruit and veg is to eat as wide a variances of colours as possible.

The taste is becoming addictive, so you are not alone pilotpete.