Cycling and flirting = "clirting"

13»

Comments

• andyb78
    andyb78 Posts: 156
    OK this may have gone a bit stale but I thought I'd come and get a pizza the action. Best thread I've read in a while. It'll take a lot for the others to focaccia up :D OK, OK, that was really bad.... :oops:
    Road bike FCN 6

Hardtail Commuter FCN 11 (Apparently, but that may be due to the new beard...)
  • bluefoam
    bluefoam Posts: 102
    Whatever you do, don't start a conversation with your new term 'clitring' it may not go down too well.
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    TommyEss wrote:
    .....I'm not sure this was the kind of "clirting" DDD had in mind, lads - but don't let that stop you! :D

I'm not rising to that. :-)

You're just jealous 'cos you don't have any mountains to look at!

The panorama from around Buchlyvie takes in Ben Lomond, The Cobbler & Beinn Narnain, Ben Venue, Ben Ledi, Stuich A'Chroin & Ben Vorlich... and no doubt a few other significant peaks I can't name! On a clear day it's a fine sight, there are even some patches of snow still lying on the upper slopes.

Fair lifts your spirits, I tell you.

Cheers,
    W.
  • always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    Is there any way we can change the name to "flycling"?

To me, "clirting" sounds too much like a flap of skin somewhere inaccessible.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757

Err... No.

Your version sounds like you're playing with the front of someone's trousers.... :? :wink:
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    TommyEss wrote:
    .....I'm not sure this was the kind of "clirting" DDD had in mind, lads - but don't let that stop you! :D

I'm not rising to that. :-)

You're just jealous 'cos you don't have any mountains to look at!

The panorama from around Buchlyvie takes in Ben Lomond, The Cobbler & Beinn Narnain, Ben Venue, Ben Ledi, Stuich A'Chroin & Ben Vorlich... and no doubt a few other significant peaks I can't name! On a clear day it's a fine sight, there are even some patches of snow still lying on the upper slopes.

Fair lifts your spirits, I tell you.

Cheers,
    W.

Quite agree with the Breadman here... the stunning views of the Hills and Glens draped in early summer sunshine sure makes you feel alive. I don't get the full show of the Arrochar Alps, but the Campsies look good. I am on the Hairymill Road for about 7.10, early start.
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • TommyEss
    TommyEss Posts: 1,855
    Oh bog off - I'm stuck here staring at a screen and a keyboard... :(
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015

Pfft, nothing unusual there - after baking on the Lakes passes on Saturday (high 20s), driving back I saw snow on Cross Fell.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    TommyEss wrote:
    Oh bog off - I'm stuck here staring at a screen and a keyboard... :(

+1 :mrgreen:
  • always_tyred
    Rolf F wrote:

Pfft, nothing unusual there - after baking on the Lakes passes on Saturday (high 20s), driving back I saw snow on Cross Fell.
    Pfft. Is it going to snow at the weekend?
  • Wallace1492
    Rolf F wrote:

Pfft - hope not, I an cycling from Mallaig to Glasgow. Passing the Local Hero beach, and cycling up the majestic Glen Coe.
  • wgwarburton
    ... hope not, I an cycling from Mallaig to Glasgow. ....

Out of interest, why Mallaig Glasgow, rather than Glasgow Mallaig? I would have thought the latter would be more fun, since you'd be leaving the city behind. Is it down to logistics (arriving home whenever you get there instead of needing to be in Mallaig for 1605?). Are you taking three days?

Cheers,
    W.
  • Wallace1492
    ... hope not, I an cycling from Mallaig to Glasgow. ....

Out of interest, why Mallaig Glasgow, rather than Glasgow Mallaig? I would have thought the latter would be more fun, since you'd be leaving the city behind. Is it down to logistics (arriving home whenever you get there instead of needing to be in Mallaig for 1605?). Are you taking three days?

Cheers,
    W.

Hope fully 2 days!! Tough ask as it will be bout 80 miles each day with panniers. Just fancied cycling back from somewhere, arriving home knackered and being able to chill out rather than worrying about logistics. 8am train from Queen Street Saturday, will have me cycling by 1.30, hope to make Bridge or Orchy via Corran Ferry on Saturday. Rough camp then home via Killin (ish) As it is Bank Holiday monday there is contingency if I have bike or physical problem. Stage 2 will be train to Mallaig in June and cycle to Durness, that will cover all of West Coast Scotland. :D
  • always_tyred
    Rolf F wrote:

Pfft - hope not, I an cycling from Mallaig to Glasgow. Passing the Local Hero beach, and cycling up the majestic Glen Coe.

Fantastic scenery, but it is forcast to get a dusting at high elevations - probably not down to road level.

Not to put the wind up you or anything, but aren't you bothered by cycling on the A82? The average speed there seems to me always to be higher than the M8 and its not exactly quiet.

Or are you mtbing the WHW or something really punishing like that?
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Who'd have thought a thread about crumpet could lead to such a world of pain?
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,412
    Bilingual puns eh? Crumbs!
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • always_tyred

Err... No.

Your version sounds like you're playing with the front of someone's trousers.... :? :wink:
    Quite apt then.
  • wgwarburton
    edited May 2010
    Edit: oops double post, sorry!
  • wgwarburton
    edited May 2010
    ...Hope fully 2 days!! Tough ask as it will be bout 80 miles each day with panniers.

Yowza! That is a challenge... I used to reckon 50-60 miles a day touring in the Highlands was plenty. Those roads are anything but flat...
    Personally, I'd plan three days, I think I'd enjoy it more without the pressure.

edit: just realised you said you were planning to camp... which suggests you'll be carrying the requisite gear with you, too. I've always travelled light- Hostels, B+B etc.
    Your route via Killin(ish) sounds like you're planning to take the cyclepath south from Glen Ogle, through Strathyre & Callander. Good plan (if more mileage, again!), as it's much more pleasant than the A84/A82, albeit perhaps harder work since the surface isn't quite as good. Any thoughts on routing south of Callander? I think the NCN would take you through Stirling and onto the canal well east of Glasgow... or you can go west from Callander through the Trossachs and over or round the Campsies. The latter's much more direct & scenic, but you've got yet more climbing to do.
    If you were to plan to camp in the Trossachs on Sunday night, you'll have more time & energy to enjoy the trip.... and it's a National Park for good reasons!

Cheers,
    W.
  • Wallace1492
    Rolf F wrote:

Fantastic scenery, but it is forcast to get a dusting at high elevations - probably not down to road level.

Not to put the wind up you or anything, but aren't you bothered by cycling on the A82? The average speed there seems to me always to be higher than the M8 and its not exactly quiet.

Or are you mtbing the WHW or something really punishing like that?

Thought about the WHW, but I have a cunning plan... first part of A82 will be missed out as I will go other side of Loch Lhinne and get ferry at Corran. I should be there later on, maybe about 7pm, and hope to push up through GlenCoe and over Rannoch Moor by 9, hopefully traffic will be quieter then. Early start the next day and back via Killin (ish) avoiding the Loch Lomond road.
  • tardington
    tardington Posts: 1,379
    Is anyone reminded of a certain Simpsons episode?

346168078_e773db131f.jpg

(I hope that worked, a bit rusty sorry!)
  • Retch
    Retch Posts: 78
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Oh yeah, that's definite proof. Should she really have been driving with dough in her eyes? You know how people stare absently and other people think they're being stared at? Yeah. And you know how stuff sometimes gets stuck in your teeth?

Stop hating, she found me impossibly attractive.

You know this to be true!

The idea that you cycle around thinking 'she's checking me out' every time someone glances in your direction makes me chuckle.

Is that why you wear hi-viz?
    :lol:

Come now Lit. It's why us men always take a nice deep breath when we pull up to lights. And hold.... hold.... hold.... fuckthisisalongred..... wheeze.
    FCN 5ish. Unless hungover.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    I'm just embarrassed that I can't comfortably ride on the drops as my thighs bounce off my belly... :oops: :oops:
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter