Verenti Dragon Ride - Are we up for it ?

Comments

• bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    friso wrote:
    This was my first Dragon but unfortunatley i couldn't tame it (7.05ish ride time)

The second Bwlch got to me

I really don't know what people expect, when i am going to enter an endurance event i don't rely on others to provide the correct nutrition and energy products

I would expect them to be on hand for emergencies but i certainly would't take the chance so always carry enough for my personal consumption. I also saw hand full of gels and sachets being snatched up. Surly people weren't turning up with not enough gels or carbs? were they?

I totally agree with the signage at the finish, cycling around that busy roundabout with the goodie bag banging of my spokes was a bit worrying

The organisation was ok, Verenti have to remember that the best bits about the ride has nothing to do with them, the route and us guys who took part are the only constant

Although we all have to be acountable for the sucess of the ride, i saw very little in the way of courtessy for car drivers and very little signalling for hazards to other competitors.

If you want a great ride in Wales with fantastic organisation, instant timing and a tasty hot meal at end do the Autumn Epic in october, its a must do

I must remember to take my panniers next time for to refill my bottle 10 times.

And perhaps a Camelbak on my next marathon.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • johncp
    johncp Posts: 302
    friso wrote:
    This was my first Dragon but unfortunatley i couldn't tame it (7.05ish ride time)

The second Bwlch got to me

I really don't know what people expect, when i am going to enter an endurance event i don't rely on others to provide the correct nutrition and energy products

I would expect them to be on hand for emergencies but i certainly would't take the chance so always carry enough for my personal consumption. I also saw hand full of gels and sachets being snatched up. Surly people weren't turning up with not enough gels or carbs? were they?

I totally agree with the signage at the finish, cycling around that busy roundabout with the goodie bag banging of my spokes was a bit worrying

The organisation was ok, Verenti have to remember that the best bits about the ride has nothing to do with them, the route and us guys who took part are the only constant

Although we all have to be acountable for the sucess of the ride, i saw very little in the way of courtessy for car drivers and very little signalling for hazards to other competitors.

If you want a great ride in Wales with fantastic organisation, instant timing and a tasty hot meal at end do the Autumn Epic in october, its a must do

I must remember to take my panniers next time for to refill my bottle 10 times.

And perhaps a Camelbak on my next marathon.

+1 - I take my own gels and powders because I know what suits me, but people expected gels and powders and a variety of food to be supplied because that is what was advertised, not unreasonable to be pi55ed off if it wasn't available.

As for a good ride in Wales, don't overlook the TransCambrian in Sept. Not as hyped as the Epic but covers a similar area and just as well organised, right down to the instant timing (cert handed to me on the finish line) , hot meal AND massage available!
    If you haven't got a headwind you're not trying hard enough
  • on-yer-bike
    on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974

Anyway, I see only the top 78 people in the Gran Fondo got gold standard - that's just 4 per cent! Bit stingey if you ask me.

Yes, tough.
    Missed it by 2 mins for my age and I was in the top 11.5%.
    Should there be more than 10 minutes difference between 18-30 and 50-60?
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • nigelsmith
    nigelsmith Posts: 16

Anyway, I see only the top 78 people in the Gran Fondo got gold standard - that's just 4 per cent! Bit stingey if you ask me.

Yes, tough.

a miracle - got a gold time by 34 secs! fantastic ride - especially in the big fast peloton between feedstations 2 and 3 - its heaven cycling in a large pack with minimal effort - will be back next year - it would be good to have the mileage to the top of the summits as they do for the Fred Whitton - I normally stick a print out of the waypoints on the top tube so Ive got an idea of distance to the next summit etc, a real help if you havent done the route before.
  • dombo6
    dombo6 Posts: 582
    edited June 2010
    greeny12 wrote:
    MrChuck wrote:
    ah! Is that why i saw riders riding back on the other side of the road after the split?! I bet they got a nice quick time - but is that why they do it? Personal achievement.

People were really doing that? That's pretty lame.

It's bad enough cheating in the pro peloton, but in a sportive?? Ridiculous, and totally pointless.

What are they gonna do, print off the Excel spreadsheet and show it to all their mates??? Makes me laugh just thinking about it...

To be fair, the split came at only 38 miles after a refreshing descent from Rhigos so difficult to judge whether you're up for 190kms or just 130k. Some of those who turned round may have had an "oh sh1t" moment after riding uphill into that headwind towards the Brecon Beacons for a couple of miles and thought better of it.
  • dombo6
    dombo6 Posts: 582
    mrdoofer wrote:
    £30 quid to ride up the Rhigos, look to my left excellent view down into the valley, look up ahead hundreds of multi-coloured jerseys winding off into the distance up the mountain; worth every penny.

+1 :D
  • Toks
    Toks Posts: 1,143

Yes, tough.
    mmm I was probably one of the last people to start (9.35am, crossed the start line with two other people :lol: ) so I didn't see anyone for the first 2-3 miles. I missed Gold by two mins (40-49) and I'm sure I would've achieved Gold but for the late start and having my speed shaved off by the increased traffic on the roads. Oh well. :( This was my third Dragon and I enjoyed the whole thing immensely. Everyone I saw seem to be in good spirits despite the obvious pain on the climbs :twisted: ... well all except for a couple of numpties. One guy decked out in full wiggle kit shouted "on your right" and promptly push another rider to the side whilst riding up the Belwch and later another bozo mounted the pavement to jump some Red lLghts and gain an incredible 20 yards on the thirty odd riders that were waiting patiently at the lights. 3 minutes later he was a 100 metres behind us :roll:
  • senoj
    senoj Posts: 213
    mamba80 wrote:
    I'm sure its very helpful to be told of all these short cuts back to the car parks ON MONDAY morning!
    But the organisers should have marshalled us back via a decent shortcut AND not as many did, trying to x a dual carriageway., not good publicity if someone had been killed on that busy road/roundabout?
    My point is that the organisers are getting poss in excess of £90k, most people helping out r volunteers, and this is, what, their 5th of running the event?
    i was early on the road but running out of water or energy drink is just unacceptable.
    Look around, there r many many more events that are just as challenging but dont have the rubbish that the Dargon has, what about all those grotty towns we had to ride through?
    i was really lookin fwd to this evnt but returned back to Cornwall thinking "why did i bother?"
    the Autumn Epic is far far nicer and u get a free hot meal afterwards :D + a couple of bidons!

On the plus side, i always enjoy riding in wales and once out in the hills , it was beautiful and it was always nice to hear some encouraging cheers from many people on the roadside.

Grotty little towns?
    What a tosser,dont ride it again.
  • clanton
    clanton Posts: 1,289
    Toks wrote:

Yes, tough.
    mmm I was probably one of the last people to start (9.35am, crossed the start line with two other people :lol: ) so I didn't see anyone for the first 2-3 miles. I missed Gold by two mins (40-49) and I'm sure I would've achieved Gold but for the late start and having my speed shaved off by the increased traffic on the roads. Oh well. :( This was my third Dragon and I enjoyed the whole thing immensely. Everyone I saw seem to be in good spirits despite the obvious pain on the climbs :twisted: ... well all except for a couple of numpties. One guy decked out in full wiggle kit shouted "on your right" and promptly push another rider to the side whilst riding up the Belwch and later another bozo mounted the pavement to jump some Red lLghts and gain an incredible 20 yards on the thirty odd riders that were waiting patiently at the lights. 3 minutes later he was a 100 metres behind us :roll:

Said RLJ Bozo - Fred Bakers Cycles top? If so I was in the same group as you at those lights. Albeit a bozo move I was impressed by his bike handling skills - not sure I would have managed a tight (and blind!) corner at the speed he did.
  • Toby_W
    Toby_W Posts: 217
    What's with this nasty attitude to those of us who found the feed stations empty of energy drink (I don't care about gels) because of an error by high five?

Bit of a bad mistake, caused a bit of suffering for a few riders otherwise another fantastic days riding slightly spoiled but hey these things happen.

I find the selfish attitude rather more sad and the comments mean spirited but I'm sure it's just words on forums always seeming more harsh than they're meant to be?

Cheers

Toby
    Dancing on the pedals
  • APIII
    APIII Posts: 2,010
    friso wrote:

I think you're the exception rather than the rule. The feedstops are just part of the on-course support that make the event more convenient to ride. So, just as the signage and marshalling are there so I don't have to carry a map, mechanical support, so I only need to carry a couple of tubes and a multitool, the feedstops are there so I don't have to carry anything other than a few gels and bars. If you don't want/need this, I'm not sure why people would pay the (high) entry fees. Why not just organise a club run on another day and save a few quid?
  • Lazarus
    Lazarus Posts: 1,426
    Okay I'm a local who lives in a grotty little cave :evil: and popped up to the Bwlch to cheer you lot on and was very impressed with how fresh you all looked on top of the bwlch for the final time before you headed back down the valley to the finish. :D

If one of you was the Marmite jersey guy who i gave water to then hi again. :)

Now to the reason of my post.... I saw one rider wearing a Cycling top with the name ATKINS across the back and down the sides, (yes it happens to be my name ) and obviously i would love to have one. Does anyone know where i would get one or maybe the person in question frequents this forum and would like to point me in the right direction.
    A punctured bicycle
    On a hillside desolate
    Will nature make a man of me yet ?
  • Meds1962
    Meds1962 Posts: 391
    My first attempt, glad to get round in 9.07 overall. I agree you shouldn't rely on picking up gels on the way but top marks to the guy at Cimla who only gave out one each, it was the only one I saw from the three stations. Excellent organisation overall and superb route.

Great to see some of the locals out cheering, or was it because I was wearing my Wales jersey? Shame we covered the whole route in litter to give people a legitimate reason to complain, no need for signage if a few 100 have started before you, just follow the trail of empty gel sachets!!
    O na bawn i fel LA
  • friso
    friso Posts: 107
    I think you're the exception rather than the rule. The feedstops are just part of the on-course support that make the event more convenient to ride. So, just as the signage and marshalling are there so I don't have to carry a map, mechanical support, so I only need to carry a couple of tubes and a multitool, the feedstops are there so I don't have to carry anything other than a few gels and bars. If you don't want/need this, I'm not sure why people would pay the (high) entry fees. Why not just organise a club run on another day and save a few quid?

Hi, Sorry i didn't explain myself correctly

Your quite right, if we pay for an event that advertise gels, Hi-Five and decent energy food then they should be at hand

What i ment was that i have been in this situation before after being let down by the orgainsers so i don't take chances and take enough for my ride, but i agree that i shouldn't have to if its been promised as part of the package
  • Did my first Dragon Ride on Sun which was also my first full Grand Fondo. Loved it, with spare legs I would have been even better!
    Due to a crack on my fave compact equipped bike I tackled it with a 52/39 12/29 that by Bwlch2 was enough to get me up and over at just above walking pace.
    I'm grateful to the Cardiff AJAX CC who pull a great train that probably helped me get a finishing time. Great run through Neath Nuff Respect :D
    I always take my own food and powder because you never know what's going to be left at the feedstations if you're one of the slower riders.
    It's the Magnificat next Sunday!!
    I'd like some more gears please
  • BMX Bear
    BMX Bear Posts: 198
    2nd time for me, yes the feed stations are a bun fight.

I set off with gels, bars and powder, enough to see me through.

I think feed stations will always be an issue, I was sure about the pre mixed High5 last year so was prepared this year. Sachets are one way to ensure that you get the correct mix. However not having enough supplies at the feed stations is very poor. Surely a huge oversight on someones part, better too much than not enough!

As for the ride and the route, fantastic, tough, challenging, elating. Loved it!
    www.icenivelo.co.uk - Norfolks most inclusive cycling club
  • wicked
    wicked Posts: 844
    How long before the photo's are up on the website?
    It’s the most beautiful sport in the world but it’s governed by ***ts who have turned it into a crock of ****.
  • bendertherobot
    They're up.
  • narbs
    narbs Posts: 593
    They're up.

You're ahead of me in a couple. Shocking :wink:
  • ynyswen24
    ynyswen24 Posts: 703
    there's only one where I don't look like a troll, I must remember to relax my shoulders...
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    Did that 15 year old (Germain Burton) actually win? His name comes out top in the results list, but he has a slower time than a couple of others.

Either way, it's pretty damn impressive for a kid!
    I did London to windsor charity last year and ended up with germain and his dad on a tandem with other son. We ended up dping the route av speed just under 24mph and that was including lights and junctions :D \Going to be a good rider for sure.
    He was runner up in Juvchamps last year I think. His dad was a 6 day track rider eyars ago and still fit.
  • yogi
    yogi Posts: 456
    Some video footage of the descent from the Bwlch 1st time here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEv2pYi8pnc filmed by one of our Yogis. I'm the one with YOGi written on the arse of my shorts btw.

Anyone doing The Dartmoor Classic - make sure you stay out of our way on the descents cos we know how to descend pretty quick LOL.
  • dewei
    dewei Posts: 172
    Thanks for the link to the footage. It certainly captures the thrill of the long descent!

This was my first Dragon Ride. Although I did 2 sportives last year, they were shorter and flatter. I took 7hr 56min. After my RTA in March and the subsequent lack of training, I am pleased with that.

I have never been in such long descents. I now fully appreciate a low body position makes a lot of difference at above 35mph. It is one thing reading about it, and it is another thing to be able to try it over miles and miles of descent. Still not confident about the turning at high speed. Maybe that is a good thing given that that hairy left hairpin turn in the last descent 10 miles from the finish.

I've never been in such a big bike event....so many eye-popping dream bikes...but not enough time to admire as they zoom past! As I was queuing at the start, I thought there must be about £6 million worth of bikes.

I really struggled between the first and second feed stops - I hardly paused at the first stop...maybe that was a mistake.

All in all, a great day of utter suffering uphill, scary thrills downhill and the buzz of seeing all the cyclists lining the winding roads. Three days after, I am still elated and thinking about the next one.
  • bendertherobot
    narbs wrote:
    They're up.

You're ahead of me in a couple. Shocking :wink:

I beat you fair and square on that king of the mountains section. :twisted:
  • Brewsterwmb
    Brewsterwmb Posts: 145
    Nice! Why does it look like you were on a motor bike and everyone else going slow though!?

Dont think you want to show this to much, especially as you were not meant to cross the white line :wink::D
    “Look where you want to go. Not where you are going”
  • twotyred
    twotyred Posts: 822
    so many eye-popping dream bikes...but not enough time to admire as they zoom past! As I was queuing at the start, I thought there must be about £6 million worth of bikes.

Yes amazing amount of exotica there. £6M was the figure I came up with as well. I seemed to be the only person around on an alloy bike.
  • My first sportive (so nothing really to compare to) but I'm definitely on the great day out side of the fence. It was awesome to see cyclists stretching as far as the eye could see and to be able to find groups to hide/work in the whole way round the course. I'm sure some of this would be lost with a less well attended event.

I really enjoyed the climbs, none of which I thought were really steep, just long! It was a case of getting into a rhythm getting to the top and recovering on the equally long descents.

I treated it like a regular Sunday ride and took all my own gels and energy drink sachets so the lack of either at any of the feed stations wasn't a problem but I can see how it would detract from the day if you did have to rely on them.

Would it be possible for the organisers to provide a musette at each feed station with a selection of everything thereby rationing the amount to each rider???

Managed a Bronze 8) so more than happy especially as my target was finishing in........ daylight!
  • dewei
    dewei Posts: 172
    A 'very positive' review of the event on bikeradar frontpage.
    http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/7th-verenti-dragon-ride-builds-on-past-success-26487

Nice picture of a unicyclist. Did anybody catch sigt of them? I saw two who had stopped on the pavement when the light went red. I wonder what distance they were competing. I must say even the shortest distance would be amazing!
  • risi
    risi Posts: 231
    I passed a guy on a unicycle quite close to the finish - gave him a thumbs up as I went by. I was a reasonably early starter on the 190km (but not a fast finisher) and they weren't in front at the start, so I guess they did they did the 130km. Much respect whatever.

I struggled right from the off & considered switching onto the 130km, but couldn't let myself when I got to the split. I'm glad I didn't, though I'm still a little unsure about whether I actually enjoyed it. The sight of so many riders being out was great, the route was mainly good (a few 'meh' bits, but I guess that's always the case). It was probably just that I was not having a great day & knowing just how far I had to go dampens the enthusiasm somewhat - no way I was giving up though!
    Specialized Allez
    Trek 6500
  • I passed one guy on a giant unicycle early on and nearly fell off with surprise. One of the guys in our club has a photo of him going over the top of the Bwlch.

There was also a guy with a prosthetic leg that I passed going up the south side of the Bwlch : much respect!

I had a cracking ride and got a silver with 6:58 which I'm thrilled with (being old and knackered ... on a good day)

Thought the organisers did a good job overall but what would be nice is a more searchable results file. It would be nice to be able to break down the age groups and search by club. All that info will have been captured and it's only a couple more columns.

Still no real complaints .... back next year God willing :D:D:D
    Specialized Roubaix Pro SL : Litespeed Titanium Siena : Specialized Allez : Specialized Tri Cross :
    Specialized Rockhopper