Verenti Dragon Ride - Are we up for it ?

galatzo
galatzo Posts: 1,295
Hi

I thought there'd be a lot more chatter on here about the impending Dragon Ride.
I seem to recall some 19 page monster thread last year.
Have we all done it before and aren't so worried this time ?
Have we all done it before and aren't bothering this time ? (unlikley as it's sold out)
Are we praying for good but not too good weather like this weekend ?
Are you thinking about bailing and doing the medio fondo if it's not so nice ?
Or are we jus talking about it quietly so we don't wake the Dragon !

Me ?
I can't wait. Biggest ride I've ever done, got a new bike last week and in the best shape I've been in since I used to play a lot of football (although probably still not good enough shape) for 15 years maybe. Got a couple of mates doing it, one who's done a couple of Etapes and the other who's only had a bike with gears for 2 months so chances are we'll be well strung out.
The main benefit for me other than a fun day out is that it'll be a great indicator as to whether I'm going to manage the Otzal Radmarathon at the end of August or not. I'm gonna try the Dragon with 39x27 and Austria I'm going 34x27 with fingers crossed.

What's your story ?

Good luck all

25th August 2013 12hrs 37mins 52.3 seconds 238km 5500mtrs FYRM Never again.

Comments

• acidstrato
    acidstrato Posts: 945
    really looking forward to it me

just ordered a new rear tyre for the ride as current tyre is fairly worn

no way I'll be bailing, weather should be fine, probably lucky it wasnt this past weekend tho or there could very well have been serious dehydration problems with folks fainting half way up rhigos and bwlch.

starting to wish i'd booked the monday off work now though
    Crafted in Italy apparantly
  • ketsbaia
    ketsbaia Posts: 1,718
    Looking forward to it. Did a fairly long ride the weekend before last that took in the extended route bit of the Gran Fondo and it was terrific scenery. Only thing I'm not really desperately looking forward to is the final ascent of the Bwlch, but I know I can do it as I've done Bwlch, Rhigos, Bwlch in a day before in a dry run of the Medio Fondo, so there's not too much to fear. I hope.
  • twotyred
    twotyred Posts: 822
    I'm doing the big one for the first time. Thinking about the Etape next year so trying to get an idea if I've got what it takes by doing the Dragon. Not to worried about getting round but putting a bit of pressure on myself to get round in under 8 hours.

Just hope there's not a strong wind on the day.
  • MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663
    I'm looking forward to it, but I feel like I had a bit of a reality check at the Builth sportive last weekend. I hope the steepness of the hills and the heat had a lot to do with it!
  • dombo6
    dombo6 Posts: 582
    Looking forward to it. Done the full versions in 09 and 08 and short one in 07 when i first got a road bike. '08 was good final training for that year's etape. If the weather's good it's a fantastic day out as there's so many riders you're rarely alone. Last climb of Bwlch can smart a bit, and the comedy hill in Neath to the Cimla feed station never gets any easier.
    Nicest bit is getting cheered through the villages by the locals - not something we get in Surrey!
  • galatzo
    galatzo Posts: 1,295
    @ Dombo6

What's the comedy hill in Neath ?
    25th August 2013 12hrs 37mins 52.3 seconds 238km 5500mtrs FYRM Never again.
  • dombo6
    dombo6 Posts: 582
    Very steep hill as you leave Neath. Looks like a normal suburban street, then just seems to go straight up. There's usually a feedstop at the top. Last year they had a bucket of salted crinkle-cut crisps. Best crisps I've ever had. Anywhere. Ever :D
  • ras_undy
    ras_undy Posts: 20
    Was really looking forward to this, first time I would have riden this, until two weeks ago when I came off the bike and fracured my wrist and arm.

Now looking forward to just getting back on the bike, once the titanium plates and screws have fiished doing their job.

Good luck to everyone doing the ride and hope the weather stays fine.
  • flix23
    flix23 Posts: 72
    As a first time entrant I'm really looking forward to it.

Not ridden in that part of Wales at all before so will be nice to see some new scenery and ride some new hills.

I'll be running my new 28 tooth sprocket - have loved it on the last few weeks on some long and hilly rides including the Etape du Dales. I've been spinning merrily, passing other riders 'tacking' across the road to keep going.

Haven't received my rider pack yet though - should I?
  • jackfeeder
    jackfeeder Posts: 269
    I'm really looking forward to it as it's the longest ride I'll have ever done but also but I know that 2nd ascent of the Bwlch is going to be a killer after 90miles.
    Did some of the route (Bwlch/Rhigos/Cimla) on Sat in the heat and the climbs were ok. Cimla is always quite hard though and the headwind going up the Bwlch didn't help much.
    Did the 80miler 2 years ago but doing the big one this time. My plan is to do the Etape or like in 1 or 2 years so trying to build up by doing the longest/hardest sportives I can and gradually build the fitness.
    gearing - I've got a 50/34 with 26 on the back - did the Autumn Epic on this and was ok'ish.
    I'm aiming for 7 1/2 hours as I got a silver in the Autumn Epic and want the same on the Dragon as well - gold is bonkers fit.
    1 tip though - don't stop for a burger and coke at the layby about 10mins after Glyneath like we did :roll: - it didn't help much but obviously no plans to do that on the day!!!!!!
    Good luck everyone! :D
    All my life I've wanted to be someone; I guess I should have been more specific.
  • snipz
    snipz Posts: 85
    I can't make it. And apparently the packs have just been sent out :(
  • I have mixed feelings on the Dragon Ride.

Rode a weekend in Shropshire - with mixed results.

Part of me is looking forward to it after my 40 mile training loop in the Peak District with three mega climbs (including Snake Pass) and completing all without stopping at all during the uphill sections....a first for me.... :D

But then my old fear and trepidation of Hills is threatening to put a damper on my new-found confidence. I am not the fastest in the bunch going uphill (I always get dropped which affects my Climbing and Cycling in a Group morale)......
    :roll:

I am scared of not cutting it in 12 days - and my friends having to wait for me again. :oops:
  • ras_undy wrote:
    Was really looking forward to this, first time I would have riden this, until two weeks ago when I came off the bike and fracured my wrist and arm.

Now looking forward to just getting back on the bike, once the titanium plates and screws have fiished doing their job.

Good luck to everyone doing the ride and hope the weather stays fine.

Just wanted to say:
    Really sorry to hear about your accident and to wish you a speedy recovery!
    :)
  • ketsbaia
    Just had a look at the youtube videos from the mailout. I don't remember either of those climbs being quite so long. Amazing what you forget when your head's down and your eyes are fixed on the tarmac, isn't it?
  • Another one here who's really looking forward to it.

Will be my first ever sportive and the longest ride I've ever done, but since registering I've gone from 13½ stone to just under 12 and have been managing either a solo 80 or group 100 for the past couple of training rides. Just the thought of it looming on the horizon has been brilliant motivation to get out on my bike whenever possible.

Pack came through the door this morning so I think its time to start the tapering and carb loading phase of my training plan :wink:
  • dave milne
    dave milne Posts: 703
    3rd time for me. came 35th last year with 6:15, not sure if I can better that.

Great ride, great atmosphere and to be honest the bwlch is easy, the only steep bit is the first 50 metres when you go up it the first time
  • IronHorse100
    IronHorse100 Posts: 302
    dave milne wrote:

Great ride, great atmosphere and to be honest the bwlch is easy, the only steep bit is the first 50 metres when you go up it the first time
    easy? yes but that's coming from someone who came 35th out of 3000! :wink:
  • ketsbaia
    dave milne wrote:

easy? yes but that's coming from someone who came 35th out of 3000! :wink:

To be fair to Dave, he's spot on. It's way easier than I thought it would be, but that first 50 yards is testing and had me out of the saddle.

Worst bit for me was the climb out of Neath and that was because it was totally unexpected. The rest are long but the gradients are fairly gentle. Get in a rhythm and you'll be fine.
  • arlo_m
    arlo_m Posts: 24
    Yep, another first-timer, done a few spotives, Etape du Dales was my last, before and this is my last one before La Marmotte! Hopefully I'll get round safe and sound and start looking forward to 3 July! Hope it's a bit warmer than it is just now though.

What are the time standards this year, for some reason I thought they were changing from previous years... could be wrong of course, have been millions of time before.

:D
  • Cubic
    Cubic Posts: 594
    My first time too, will be my longest ride also. Did my longest training ride yesterday, 100miles around the Surrey hills, and will now taper till the big day. I think eating and drinking a lot will be the key for me to get around!

Anyone know what the ride's like after Bwlch 2? Can I relax and cruise to the finish or are there still some cheeky climbs to go?
  • ketsbaia
    Cubic wrote:
    Anyone know what the ride's like after Bwlch 2? Can I relax and cruise to the finish or are there still some cheeky climbs to go?

You can relax. There's a little hump to get over, but you can mostly do that on the momentum from the preceding downslope. Otherwise, it's head down and blast for home.
  • Cubic
    ketsbaia wrote:
    Cubic wrote:

You can relax. There's a little hump to get over, but you can mostly do that on the momentum from the preceding downslope. Otherwise, it's head down and blast for home.

Phew! I think Bwlch 2 is going to take all the energy I've got left.
  • greeny12
    greeny12 Posts: 759
    The nice thing about that part of the world is that there are no real killer climbs - you know, the 20+ percenters that have loads of people (usually including me!) climbing off.

I love the long, steady drags that you can climb in a rythmn so the Dragon Ride should suit me perfectly. That said, my training this year has been pretty hit and miss, easily the worst in the past three years since I got into road riding, so it's going to be more of a struggle than it should have been...

Oh, and watch out for the sheep - some of them have a death wish!!
    My cycle racing blog: http://cyclingapprentice.wordpress.com/

If you live in or near Sussex, check this out:
    http://ontherivet.ning.com/
  • ketsbaia
    That's bollox, Greeny, you'll be fine. :lol:
  • Cubic
    Could someone tell me what to expect at the feed stations?

Do they have a selection of energy bars and gels or is it more sandwiches and cakes?

And, are you only supposed to take one thing or can you have something at the stop and take some more for the next part of the ride?

Plus, I guess High5 are supplying their standard energy drink, not the 4:1 drink with electrolytes. So, if it looks like it's going to be really hot it might be a good idea to take some electrolyte tabs too?

Sorry for all the questions, but I'm trying to work out what I should carry with me.
  • acidstrato
    Would be surprised if feed stations carry anything more than just bananas and gels to eat. possibly something sweet while stock lasts!

dont quote me though

i'll have a few gels, energy bars and a choccy or 2 on me as back up but its not too far between stops tbh
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    greeny12 wrote:
    The nice thing about that part of the world is that there are no real killer climbs - you know, the 20+ percenters that have loads of people (usually including me!) climbing off.

I love the long, steady drags that you can climb in a rythmn so the Dragon Ride should suit me perfectly. That said, my training this year has been pretty hit and miss, easily the worst in the past three years since I got into road riding, so it's going to be more of a struggle than it should have been...

Really?
    The Dragon just uses reasonable climbs that are not too steep.
    There are plenty of killer climbs in that part of the worl if you want to find them.
  • Spatulala
    Spatulala Posts: 291
    I haven't had my pack yet. There are 7 of us doing it together and I think I'm the only one who hasn't received it yet.

It's my first proper Sportive, I have a triple on my Trek Pilot 2.1 so no doubt will be teased by the bigger boys, but my hope is to make it round the Gran Fondo before the broom wagon sweeps me off the street.

Did the 100 mile Force Century Challenge last year on my mountain bike before I got the Trek. My longest training ride (last weekend) was 75 miles, hope it's enough.

Getting quite excited, I hope my pack arrives soon.
  • acidstrato
    did you check your entry details on the website? i.e your address

had mine either tuesday or wednesday i forget
  • greeny12
    greeny12 Posts: 759
    greeny12 wrote:

Really?
    The Dragon just uses reasonable climbs that are not too steep.
    There are plenty of killer climbs in that part of the worl if you want to find them.

Ha ha - no I don't!

I take your point though - there are big hills everywhere really - even Swain's Lane by Highgate Cemetery is an out of the saddle job for a few metres. But in all the (admittedly fairly limited) riding I've done though the Brecon Beacons/black mountain area I've not come across anything like a Boltby Bank, for example...
    My cycle racing blog: http://cyclingapprentice.wordpress.com/

If you live in or near Sussex, check this out:
    http://ontherivet.ning.com/