getting my product onto the market

Comments

• Plaisir
    Plaisir Posts: 83
    ski-freak wrote:
    to me this suggestion is obvious, unless if ive missed it, but a name suggestion.....
    coc-lube?!

+1
    2009 Marin Wolf Ridge 6.9
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    Plaisir wrote:
    ski-freak wrote:
    to me this suggestion is obvious, unless if ive missed it, but a name suggestion.....
    coc-lube?!

+1
    as great as it is, im not sure its the one......

:wink:
    I like bikes and stuff
  • Thread8
    Thread8 Posts: 479
    I'll try it out when you get it going proper :)
    Haro Thread 8
    Please help!

"It's like parkour, on a bike"
  • joshtp
    thanks mate... ill let you know when its launched for sale.
    I like bikes and stuff
  • Thread8
    Excellent, cheers :)
    Haro Thread 8
    Please help!

• joshtp
    OK, i now have my 5 official testers, and will be sending them samples ASAP. when we'v got a bit of feedback and iv sorted the packaging, and finalized my mass producing tehnique ill ge launching for sale. my guess is at the end of the month
    I like bikes and stuff
  • joshtp
    BTW. the testers are:
    Cat with no tail, Sheepsteeth, Bails87, Jay12, and El Capitano.

thanks to these lads BTW for agreeing to test for me. its a hard job, is riding your bike and then having an opinion of a chain lube!

:lol:
    I like bikes and stuff
  • el loco pollo
    el loco pollo Posts: 158
    Josh good luck with the product, it's good to see entrepreneurial spirit is alive and well.

Have you thought about how you are going to structure your business? At the very least you need to think about:

1: Informing HMRC that you intend on trading

2: Are you going to be a sole trader or an LTD? Sole trader will be simpler for what you intend to do I believe, you can always form an LTD company later.

3: VAT registration - this is required by law if your turnover is more than £64k but you will want to register for VAT anyway, you can claim against the VAT element of your supplies.

4: Public liability - what happens if someone drinks your product, sticks it in their eye etc and sues you? You need to cover this, at the very least you will need an approved warning on your labelling.

5: Bank account and payments - how will you accept payments and pay your suppliers?

None of this is as daunting as it sounds, I've been through it a number of times over the years so if you want any advice drop me an IM and I'll do my best to help.

El
  • joshtp
    well the new batch is looking good, its a tad thicker thqan the last batch, as iv been playing with quantaties, but that just means it lasts longer, which is good
    I like bikes and stuff
  • ExeterSimon
    ExeterSimon Posts: 830
    Little late in replying but if you need any more testers just let me know.

I can run it on the hire bikes that get a good thrashing up Dartmoor/Exmoor/Quantocks.

And if happy I'll use it when servicing people's bikes.
    Whyte 905 (2009)
    Trek 1.5 (2009)
    Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp (2007)
  • Thread8
    Ive just thought, Ive ordered a new chain which should be here tomorrow so i can test it out on that if you want me to
    Haro Thread 8
    Please help!

• joshtp
    sorry lads the 5 tester have now been chosen. However i hope to get it for sale asap so you can buy it then, and i would welcome any feedback you can give, good, bad, or constructive.

thanks.
    I like bikes and stuff
  • bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    As to a name... what about

"I Should Coco!

It looks like this is already used for an exfoliant. Hmm, exfoliant on the bike - chain oil on your skin - yep, this could be a problem. Then again Naturoil, which is a great name, also looks like a trademark.
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building
  • joshtp
    OK, so just been doing some testing on my slightly moded recipie, and its passed with flying colours, it stays liquid for longer, so anotherwords, nce its been melted the once, so long as it stays in the house, and its not too cold, it will stay liquid. its also easyer to melt back to liquid if it goes solid. Ity does that, but now dry's to a hard layer faster, which is cool, and was a bit of a unexpected side affect. but quite welcome.

So i decided that the new changes helped ease of use, but i wanted to make sure they didnt affect performance, so i went out and cleaned my chain, aplyed the lube, and fired up the hose pipe. Flat out, jet mode, (which is pretty fast, it hurts your hand to touch) directly at the chain for 3 minuits from 1 ft and its still loverly and lubed, the water just beads and rolls off. if has a really thin, but very slick layer of lube, and its totaly water proof. oh, and i sprincled some dust on to test its clean-ness and the dust just came steight off when i sprinkled it with water, which means post ride cleaning is just a light spray with water, and the occasional (id say 2 to 3 week) top up.

i also ran a "dry" test, i put a little lube in a cup and then poured it out, leaving a thin layer in the cup, much like on a chain, after 5 mins of repeated swilling, washing and jetting with the tap, it was still there, repeling the water succesfully....

over all im very happy with my new, improved recipie. its great.

I also came up with a lighter, even cleaner "summer version" although, i worry it may not last as long. However, it is Very ,very clean.

questions?! fire away!
    I like bikes and stuff
  • joshtp
    Bartimaeus wrote:
    As to a name... what about

"I Should Coco!

It looks like this is already used for an exfoliant. Hmm, exfoliant on the bike - chain oil on your skin - yep, this could be a problem. Then again Naturoil, which is a great name, also looks like a trademark.
    nice name, shame about the TM
    I like bikes and stuff
  • RealMan
    RealMan Posts: 2,166
    Sounds very very similar to this. http://www.in2dust.co.uk/

Also if you go to http://www.in2dust.co.uk/Contact_Us.php and fill out the form with your address in the message section they send you a free sample to test.
  • Will Snow
    Will Snow Posts: 1,154
    how do you get it off again? Does degreaser work?
    i ride a hardtail
  • joshtp
    Will Snow wrote:
    how do you get it off again? Does degreaser work?
    hot water and soap. muc off doesnt do much. but fairly liquid, and a good scrub with hot water shifts it pretty well.
    I like bikes and stuff
  • Will Snow
    Will Snow Posts: 1,154
    Right, was just slightly concerned that when it was on it was never going to come off again! I think it might be a good idea to get a much larger test group (though admitedly after you get results back from the first five). You can probably charge just to cover your costs for that though, until you have a full product and all the mixtures etc. sorted
    i ride a hardtail
  • joshtp
    ye, i know what you mean. although TBH i think that refinment is an everlasting process, and will happen. i think is definately good enough for sale right now, the 5 testers will confirm or dash that. any small tweeks iv been making are just to componsate for a new brand of oil, and to try and fine tune a bit. its working perfectly well right now.
    I like bikes and stuff
  • vengeance111
    vengeance111 Posts: 137
    Plaisir wrote:
    ski-freak wrote:
    coc-lube?!

+1

that sounds really dodgy :wink:
  • sascos
    sascos Posts: 100
    ..might have missed something as a bit late to this thread, but it is availalbe to buy?

I am about to do C2C and would like to lube chain and then not worry about it for a few days!
  • bike-a-swan
    bike-a-swan Posts: 1,235
    I like the in2dust quote- "Now go ride, smile, use money saved on degreaser you no longer need to buy cake."

That I can get on board with!
    Rock Lobster 853, Trek 1200 and a very old, tired and loved Apollo Javelin.
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    I havent read most of this thread but I presume that the ingredients are perfectly natural or sourced through the proper trade channels and not made from some stuff you picked up in the supermarket?

You'd be in a bit of trouble if you tried to sell goods you made from various other goods without telling them ;)
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Briggo wrote:
    I havent read most of this thread but I presume that the ingredients are perfectly natural or sourced through the proper trade channels and not made from some stuff you picked up in the supermarket?

You'd be in a bit of trouble if you tried to sell goods you made from various other goods without telling them ;)

Rubbish you can use anything you buy for any purpose you want.
    All you can't do is use their trademarks.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I'm very interested in this. Hope it all works out for you. Sounds like a great idea.
  • bfmtb200
    bfmtb200 Posts: 14
    To be honest, I'm not sure that any improvement on a tub of unrefined coconut oil is needed. Though I guess you could add a bit of Sunflower Lecithin (Sunflower as opposed to Soya because the GM Soya industry is hugely ecologically damaging) to loosen it and make it more pliable.

What would your product offer over this?

Having said this, people are very lazy and probably couldn't be arsed to think, and I'm all for the replacement of nasty synthetic lubes with sustainable, natural ones!

Either way, good luck.
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    cooldad wrote:
    Briggo wrote:

Rubbish you can use anything you buy for any purpose you want.
    All you can't do is use their trademarks.

Oh right, so you can re-label a bottle of Pepsi as your own and sell it en-mass in the general market can you? :wink:
  • JimmerG
    JimmerG Posts: 143
    edited May 2010
    Market it to the laydeez - they like coconut oil. Blokes could use it as a way to lure them in to their fav sport.... and the name -

Coco Chainel.

(well it made me laugh!)

J
  • joshtp
    i like the lay-deeez idea!

as for whether it has an advantage over pure coconut oil, well yes. obviously. otherwise there would be no point in it.

for a start its far easyer to apply, much less sticky, doesent solidify so easily, and stays liquid in the bottle. it resists watere better and lasts longer, becouse it penetrates more deeply.

its WAY better! :wink::lol:
    I like bikes and stuff