getting my product onto the market

Comments

• joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    good, but the cap is gonne be tiny... personally i would like a bottle like the wilkinsons own brand cycle oil bottle. (its crap as a lube, but the bottle is just PERFECT for my lube.)

its got a really, really thin precise aplicator, and a thing rectangular bottle. its great.

i think bottle like that with a sticker on the one side printed on normal paper, to go with the eco look.
    I like bikes and stuff
  • joshtp
    armymankin wrote:
    go find a bottle, and let me know the surface dimention (printable area) of it.
    :wink:
    about 40mm by 25-30mm
    tall way up.
    I like bikes and stuff
  • Bero
    Bero Posts: 7
    bigbenj_08 wrote:
    I don't think you can sell it due to legal stuff if its mixing other products.

You can buy Head and shoulders - mix it with pan10 proV and sell it as Jimmy's hair juice @ £100 a bottle if you want.

How far do you take it - he will not have pressed the coconuts himself but you can still use a brand of coconut oil!
  • joshtp
    bigbenj_08 wrote:
    Not sure if this has been said but...

Have you just made it by combining other products? OR. have you made the ingredients yourself?

has been mentioned already actually. and as i explained, im not mixing products. its not like im mixing pedro's chain lube and muc off. im making it from "scratch". using pure ingrediants. im not wuite growing the coconuts in my gardedn and extracting the oil in my bathroom, but i am using generic, pure ingrediants.
    I like bikes and stuff
  • Bero wrote:
    bigbenj_08 wrote:

You can buy Head and shoulders - mix it with pan10 proV and sell it as Jimmy's hair juice @ £100 a bottle if you want.

How far do you take it - he will not have pressed the coconuts himself but you can still use a brand of coconut oil!

BUT... say he was to sell it on a big scale... both H+S and Pantenne will want comission for all the product he uses...
  • bigbenj_08 wrote:
    Not sure if this has been said but...

Have you just made it by combining other products? OR. have you made the ingredients yourself?

has been mentioned already actually. and as i explained, im not mixing products. its not like im mixing pedro's chain lube and muc off. im making it from "scratch". using pure ingrediants. im not wuite growing the coconuts in my gardedn and extracting the oil in my bathroom, but i am using generic, pure ingrediants.
    Fair enough!
    Couldn't be arsed reading the pages :lol:
  • joshtp
    well iv made up a 250mm batch and will be sending out 5 50mm samples on the weekend if all goes to plan. i have to say the weekend becouse i used a diferent brand coconut oil which is a slightly difernt colour and seems a tad thiker, so i have to fine tune the recipie and make sure it all works well. once im sure its working as good as my "benchmark" (the last batch, which was excellent) ill send out some samples.

IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO BE PART OF OFFICIAL TESTING, PM ME AND I WILL CONSIDER YOU AS AN OFFICIAL TESTER. ALL TESTERS WILL RECIEVE A 50ML SAMPLE AND WILL BE EXPECTED TO GIVE HONEST FEEDBACK, INCUDING FILLING IN A SHORT QUESTIONAIRE. I WILL CONSIDER ALL WELL RESPECTED FORUM MEMBERS WHO I DEEM TO BE TRUSWORTHY, AND WHO I AM SURE WILL PROVIDE A ADEQUATE, FAIR, AND WELL REASONED TEST.

the testers will recieve a free bottle of the final product when its released.

thank you for your help.
    and please carry on any questions or advice you have. i welcome any help i can get! and want to help any potential customers to understand my product as well as posible.
    I like bikes and stuff
  • tyk3
    tyk3 Posts: 13
    bigbenj_08 wrote:
    Bero wrote:
    bigbenj_08 wrote:

BUT... say he was to sell it on a big scale... both H+S and Pantenne will want comission for all the product he uses...

They might well want it, but they sure as hell wouldn't get it.

Once you buy something, you can do whatever you want you want with it, including mixing it with another product and selling the new creation.

Just think about it. Virtually everything you buy is made from other products which have been combined. A Dell PC probably has a Maxtor hard drive and an Intel CPU. Dell don't pay those companies royalties or commissions. They don't have a special licensing agreement with them. They just buy their hard drives and CPUs, shove them in a case and call the result a Dell PC.

The only way he could get into any trouble was if he used another companies trademarked name. If one of the ingredients was, say, KTC Coconut oil, and he used the KTC trademark on his packaging, THEN he would be in trouble.
  • Will Snow
    Will Snow Posts: 1,154
    tyk3 wrote:
    Once you buy something, you can do whatever you want you want with it, including mixing it with another product and selling the new creation.

Unless its cds, dvds, games, their associated readers or downloads :twisted:

...but lets not go there :lol:
    i ride a hardtail
  • joshtp
    tyk3 wrote:
    bigbenj_08 wrote:
    Bero wrote:
    bigbenj_08 wrote:

They might well want it, but they sure as hell wouldn't get it.

Just think about it. Virtually everything you buy is made from other products which have been combined. A Dell PC probably has a Maxtor hard drive and an Intel CPU. Dell don't pay those companies royalties or commissions. They don't have a special licensing agreement with them. They just buy their hard drives and CPUs, shove them in a case and call the result a Dell PC.

The only way he could get into any trouble was if he used another companies trademarked name. If one of the ingredients was, say, KTC Coconut oil, and he used the KTC trademark on his packaging, THEN he would be in trouble.
    my thinking exacly.

PS.. how did you know im using KTC coconut oil?!

:lol:
    I like bikes and stuff
  • joshtp
    OK, well iv been doing my research and iv found a few interesting things that clear up alot of isues.

to aswer a few earlier questions.

coconut oil does go "off" but only after around 2 years of being exposed to air. and with the other components of the lube, this is never going to be a problem.

as to its lubricating properties it has excellent "slipyness", and has been recomended as an engine oil, due to its high burning teprature and excellent lubrication properties. It was never adopted as a main stream engine lubricant though due to its higher cost and synthetic alternatives being more readily available. It has excelent heat stability and will not degrade over time. And the other ingrediants only contribute to this.

so basicly, Coconut oil is a long lasting, nondegrading, very durable and totaly organic and biodegradable substance, with excelent lubricatimg property's. The other two components are both essential to the lubricant, and both help to add to its ease of use, lubricating property's, and to its longevity.

ill be getting samples out ASAP and will get "bike NUT LUBE " * for sale ASAP after further testing.

thanks all for your help, and any more questions just ask.
    :D

* yes, that is its name. At least for now anyway, untill someone comes up with something better. like it?!? :D
    I like bikes and stuff
  • joshtp
    BTW, i really am so stoked that my idea and my little bottle of lube which i made will be, at some point soon, be available for other bikers, just like me to benefit from.
    its soo cool!

:D:D:D:D
    I like bikes and stuff
  • Since you're doing it on such a small scale (i.e pretty much zero budget), I think you have to go for the homemade look route. If you try and make it look professional, it'll put people off - since, unless you do a really good job, it clearly won't be. Then you need the homemade angle to sell it. You pay a lot of money for handmade products. And the fact that it's made up in someone's kitchen can generate a lot of curiosity. You can play on that...but it's got to be tested. If it's tested and reviewed in the public eye (positively), then you're onto a winner.
    Here are some possible names....free of charge. No doubt others will be suggested.

1. 'Nut Lube
    2. Oh oh Coco
    3. I can't believe it's not toxic
    4. Coco Bang.....bang and the friction is gone!

The thing is, when operating on such a small scale, you can rip off the big companies in a light hearted way. I've seen it done so may times, and it can work... Cilit Bang don't give a shit about some kid selling a few bottles of lube, and even if they did, what they gonna get out of you..?
  • joshtp
    ye, that makes sence. thanks man. Coco bang is growing on my every minuite!
    I like bikes and stuff
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    first things first, it should be called sheepsteeth, naturally.

second, this seems like a brill idea, i would happily buy some and give some feed back.

most chain lubes are designed for either wet or dry conditions, what conditions is yours designed for? if it works equally well in wet and dry conditions, it could be pretty unique.
  • Will Snow
    Will Snow Posts: 1,154
    I dont think Id be very good at feedback because I dont ride half as much as Id like too, but Id buy some and let you know what I thought anyway
    i ride a hardtail
  • joshtp
    well i used it all through winter, it was great. then iv used it in muddy, sloppy rides this spring, and i rode every single day of the loverly dusty dry weather we had a few weeks back.... it was good at all times.... so ye, its definately one for all conditions.
    I like bikes and stuff
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    well i used it all through winter, it was great. then iv used it in muddy, sloppy rides this spring, and i rode every single day of the loverly dusty dry weather we had a few weeks back.... it was good at all times.... so ye, its definitely one for all conditions.

i reckon that is something well worth playing on.
  • joshtp
    well i used it all through winter, it was great. then iv used it in muddy, sloppy rides this spring, and i rode every single day of the loverly dusty dry weather we had a few weeks back.... it was good at all times.... so ye, its definitely one for all conditions.

thanks man.. will definately keep that in mind.
    I like bikes and stuff
  • edjo
    edjo Posts: 50
    Josh I hope your product works, but be very careful with what you claim - especially in terms of non-toxic and biodegradable. These are legal terms and have to supported with significant evidence. As for your lubrication claims, these can be substantiated in a very clear way and I can help with that - pm me for more info - but key is to make sure you don't trip over legal terms or competitors jumping on you.
  • well i used it all through winter, it was great. then iv used it in muddy, sloppy rides this spring, and i rode every single day of the loverly dusty dry weather we had a few weeks back.... it was good at all times.... so ye, its definitely one for all conditions.

I'm not sure on that one. Where's the scientific evidence? The stats supporting effectiveness in different temps, weather conditions, etc? The same stats that a big company would hand you a pile of documents on... It's not something you can compete with unless you have the data, and it'll raise suspicions. That said, the coconut oil thing is something to play on in a more general way.

Personally, I feel it's the novelty of it and the uniqueness that has inspired curiosity here, and will do elsewhere. No one likes handing over their cash to a big corporation, but they'll be interested in being part of the innovation....even if it fails.
  • upinsmoke
    upinsmoke Posts: 278
    Hope it goes well. As a matter of interest, how easy is it to get off again?

It doesn't sound like it would come off easily with normal degreaser.
  • mats
    mats Posts: 94
    what about NATUROIL for a name
    and with the words oil and coconut on the same label its a recipe for a sunbathing related catastrophe.
  • ski-freak
    ski-freak Posts: 121
    to me this suggestion is obvious, unless if ive missed it, but a name suggestion.....
    coc-lube?!
  • upinsmoke
    upinsmoke Posts: 278
    Nut Sauce

(Already used in the guitar world to lube your nut :))
  • armymankin
    armymankin Posts: 213
    edited May 2010
    this is the logo... cant afford to spend too much time on it.
    the actual print would be pretty much this size, so i just kept the graphic simple.
    comment please :roll:

nutlub3.jpg

http://yfrog.com/j8nutlub3j
  • jmillen
    jmillen Posts: 627
    mats wrote:
    what about NATUROIL for a name.

+1 thats a very clever one, simple, to the point, easy to remember etc

Also be interested to know what gets it off if you need to
    2010 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Expert Carbon
    2014 De Rosa R848
    Carrera TDF Ltd Commuter
  • Bero
    Bero Posts: 7
    upinsmoke wrote:

Sounds like an idea for product #2?!
  • joshtp
    Bero wrote:
    upinsmoke wrote:

Sounds like an idea for product #2?!
    very much, im working on it now.
    I like bikes and stuff
  • joshtp
    edjo wrote:
    Josh I hope your product works, but be very careful with what you claim - especially in terms of non-toxic and biodegradable. These are legal terms and have to supported with significant evidence. As for your lubrication claims, these can be substantiated in a very clear way and I can help with that - pm me for more info - but key is to make sure you don't trip over legal terms or competitors jumping on you.
    thanks man, thats a good point. Im not interestad in a big world dominating buisnes, i just want to sell a few bottles of chain lube! :lol: so i think ill have to steer well clear of these claims.
    I like bikes and stuff