Etiquette for passing a lady

124»

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I feel really strongly about this, having been a victim of apalling discrimination at work myself, by the same b@st@rds that "opened the door for me". :(

Fair enough, but why can you not divorce the door opening from being a bar steward later, many men are capable of opening a door for a lady without later being one of those Bar Stewards! (and I don't slam it in mens faces just because they are men!), some may use it as part of a whole discrimination package, I would suggest that 85+% don't.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • itsbruce
    itsbruce Posts: 221
    itsbruce wrote:
    You could call that chivalry if you like, although I suspect that would annoy Madamme.

OMG you're totally a sexist pig, you can't have it both ways sunshine.

It's a man's prerogative to change his... um, wait....
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    Back to the OP, how do you know that the female in question is a lady?
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    "Etiquette for passing a lady"

Erm... I would think:

Try not to make straining sounds
    Avoid splashes
    Make sure you wipe your bottom properly afterwards

What?

Totally off the wall but beautiful all the same - chapeau sir. :lol:

Well - you lot were all being so damn' serious :wink:
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • dentyne
    dentyne Posts: 5
    "I know the bicycle and fish can coexist peacefully."
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    "Etiquette for passing a lady"

Erm... I would think:

Try not to make straining sounds
    Avoid splashes
    Make sure you wipe your bottom properly afterwards

What?

You're a sick man Burns - a sick sick man :wink:
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    will3 wrote:
    Back to the OP, how do you know that the female in question is a lady?
    Because a Gentleman will always make that assumption until offered some evidence to the contrary.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • johnny2legs
    johnny2legs Posts: 98
    My favoured method of passing a lady consists of getting close up behind them and pausing to get my breath back.

Then blast past them, making the horn tune of the General Lee from the Dukes of Hazard.

Then I tend to look straight ahead when they catch me up at the next set of traffic lights and pretend nothing happened. :wink:
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Have you tried a simple pat on the bum, then a nod and a wink as you pass?
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Have you tried a simple pat on the bum, then a nod and a wink as you pass?
  • Kiblams
    Kiblams Posts: 2,423
    Before you even think about overtaking you have to make contact with your front tyre to their rear tyre, this will alert them to your presence (repeat this action until they turn to look at you as they may not have noticed you yet)

Once you have their attention you can inform them that they seem to be going rather slow, and give them helpful pointers like suggesting that they speed up and losing weight may be the best way to acheive this.

I usually find that after this they pull over, bow their heads and cover their faces in their hands. I accept this show of appreciation and respect before thanking them and continueing on my way.
  • wyadvd
    wyadvd Posts: 590
    didnt some proffessor in denmark do some research that said cars leave an extra foot when overtaking cyclist that are obviously female?

Source : Heard it on radio 4 I think
  • essex-commuter
    essex-commuter Posts: 2,188
    wyadvd wrote:
    leave an extra foot when overtaking cyclist that are obviously female?

I do the same when motorists are obviously female too :roll: :shock: :lol: